Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Vulcan Project  (Read 5166 times)

Cyberflexx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 03:40:10 pm
The Vulcan Project
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:57:46 pm »
As I posted in the thread for needing a manual about the machine, I thought I would make a dedicated thread to the restoration of this machine.

This machine would not work as it smoked really bad from the relays in the bottom of the cabinet.  The fuses also blew.

I found a guy on the internet who has the same pin and he took some pictures for me and I was able to resolder the wires to a few of the relays.  I put in a new fuse and she clicked and popped and all the scores reset to 00000.  I tested all of the targets and only ones that do not work are 3 drop targets and I am going to check the ground wire on those. 

I really need new white/black star drop targets, round pink/white with stars target, other drop targets, not sure color, bumper caps ( mine are cracked ), a reproduction playfiled plastic for the left slingshot which I have the scans for now, want, but dont need new rollover stars as the ones i have are grungy, and i need new flipper bats and the plastic sheet that goes under bumpers ( not sure the name of those)

Here are some pictures what she looked like when I got it..

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
Re: The Vulcan Project
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:59:07 pm »
I got my replacement playfield in today.  This one is 100 times better than what i currently have in the machine..

I am going to use the old playfield as practice for touchups and clear coating.  I have never done that before, so that is the perfect playfield to learn on..

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:00:16 pm »
I'll take some pics of the head and cabinet sometime today.. the backglass is in really good shape. 

I may need to re-stencil the artwork. Has anyone here done that?  how do you make stencils?   Maybe I could clean it up and touch up the scratches and leave it for character..

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:44 pm »
On a pin like this, if the parts are there and not broken, you don't need new ones. you will spend a small fortune on drop targets, regular targets, star inserts, etc. It takes work, but I cleaned all of mine to where they look darn near new.

I also just repainted the same exact stars on my drop targets. It was pretty easy with Testors enamel paints - and durable. The image was stamped, so there is a depression on the plastic you use as a brush guide.

On Wade's advice, I switched to using Bleache White as my main cleaner for pretty much everything. That and a toothbrush worked wonders on targets and star inserts.

That new playfield looks really, really nice.  :applaud:

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »
Here are some pictures of how she sits..

One good thing for me is that I have this machine at work in a secured datacenter.  I can work on it when I am at lunch or when the day is going really slow.  ;D

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:29:51 pm »
I gotta get a few boxes of bulbs and a rubber kit for her as well..

What bulbs are needed for the head and playfield?  I am assuming #44 and #46

I think this will be a fantastic machine for my mini collection.  I am thinking about moving the pins to the garage and make a little spot for them.  Not sure exactly how I am going to do that, though and the wife might not approve..  :dunno

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:31:21 pm »
I forgot to mention that this machine is working about 99% now.  I just need to track down wht the drop targets arent working..  should be pretty easy.  I might do that later today, if I get time.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:50:30 pm »

In an EM it's almost always switches.  Dirty, broken, disconnected, whatever, it usually comes down to switches.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:44:01 pm »
Drop target problem resolved.. it was a broken ground wire, just as I suspected. and the last target would not register a score and the wire for that was broken at the solder weld.

Targets are now fixed.

New issue:
the return ball kicker will kick the ball for the next play but the ball wont make it up the little incline in the track to the ball shooter.  I took it apart and cleaned it, and the ball still wont roll up the track.  The kicker is kicking hard and eventually after 4 or 5 tries, the ball does make it to the shooter lane.

Any thoughts on this one?

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 04:02:14 pm »
Take the apron off and watch it do its thing.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:36:28 pm »
Take the apron off and watch it do its thing.

I did. :applaud:  thats how i knew it was barely making it up the incline.. I havent had time to go back in the datacenter and tinker with it..

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »
Here is a better picture of the replacement playfield.

I gave $135 shipped for it.

What is the plastic wafers that are under the pop bumpers?  I dont know what that is called or where to buy them.

Thanks

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 04:52:50 pm »
I think you are talking about the mylar circles. I just ditched them. You could go with the adhesive pop bumper mylars if you want, but I didn't see the point after clear coating.

And that really stinks that the game only has passive slingshots. I wonder if you could mod the game to add coils... >:D

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:29:02 am »
Yesterday,  I ordered a dumpload of stuff from Marco Spec. to help fix up this machine.
When I get the parts, I'll see if i can post a picture :)  I found a guy on the net with a parts manual and he looked up the parts and numbers that I needed.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 10:26:04 am »
I got some parts from Marco today.  I am waiting on my stuff from PinballLife, hopefully it will be here tomorrow.  so the playfield swap can begin.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:16 am »
Are you going to touch up/clearcoat that new playfield? Might as well since it is stripped.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »
Its got a really good coat on it, nice and clean.  I could touch up a couple places, but its pretty good.  They guy who had it, took good care of it...

How long does it take to clear coat?  I have never done that before and how long does it take to dry so you can put in back in the machine?

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:14 pm »
I took some pictures of the underside of the playfield today and printed them out for reference.  I am going to try to do the playfield swap tomorrow, time permitting.  I am doing this at work, so work 1st, play 2nd.  :)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 10:05:29 am »

The "wafers" he's talking about could be the pop bumper skirts.  Always one of the first things I replace.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 10:13:04 am »
I got my stuff from pinball life.  They sent me a wrong item, but the $3 is not worth the hassle.  I ordered white plastic acorn nuts and he send me 6/32 metal nuts with nylon thread locks. Its a little aggitating but as I said, not worth the hassel.  I needed these for my Sorcerer pin.

I received new pop bumper bases, a new pinball, a new post and a dumpload of new bulbs for $1 a box!

The wafers are the mylar self adhesive that goes on the playfield under the bumper to protect it. I got those from Marco.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 09:57:40 am »
The playfield swap has begun.. 99% of the top of the PF has been removed.  I am labeling some of the wires on the bottom to make sure I get them in the correct location.  Hopefully I can begin on the actual moving of parts sometime this afternoon.  Sounds like a lunch-time project, all week.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 02:36:45 pm »
All of the parts have been removed from the top of the playfield.  I cleaned with Novus and waxed the new playfield, man is it shiny!  I installed my new star roll over inserts and put on new pop bumper mylar protector sheets where the pop bumpers go.

This is going to be harder than I thought!  Too many parts.. :-\

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 09:54:48 am »
I pulled all of the staples off the ground wire and hopefully today I can start the swapping of parts. 

I bought a new staple gun so I can reattach the grounding wire to the playfield.

This is going to take hours!

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 11:52:39 am »
Well to be fair, you are starting with the most difficult task one can do in pinball repair.  ;) Just be glad it is not a DMD pin with craploads of parts. Go overboard with your documentation/organizing, and you'll be fine.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 01:23:51 pm »
I got all of the little screws for the bulb holders out and a few other little parts.  I put the new flipper bats on their flipper shaft and re-rubbered them.  If I get time, I'll start unhooking the other parts.  I have to do this during breaks and lunch.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 11:38:15 am »
I have most of the stuff loose from the playfield and started populating some of the hardware to the new playfield.  I am hoping to 'maybe' get all of the stuff transferred today, but i have to do it on my breaks and lunch time.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:01 pm »
All of the drop targets have been replaced with the new ones, all items from the playfield have been unscrewed and I have transplanted the ball shooter lane rails and a few metal parts to the new playfield.  It will have to wait until Monday before I can swap out the rest of the stuff..

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35:12 am »
Today will be the day ( if time permits) to do the playfield swap!!!  I have all replacement parts and everything labeled and loose from the playfield.  :applaud: 

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »
I got all of the parts moved to the other playfield, most of the bulbs swapped out as well.  I will have to continue on screwing everything down and want to check the solder joints from where the parts were moved.  This thing 'might' be able to be fired up again tomorrow sometime IF i'm lucky and not too busy at work. :) :afro:

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
We have all of the playfield underneath hooked back up, lights changes, head on it, it lights up and scores except one drop target bank, there is a switch stuck that I need to adjust.  Here is what it looks like so far

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 02:43:30 pm »
What.. no comments?  gheesh.. this is my 1st PF swap and still way new on working on these things.

I have the flippers installed, the back arch installed.  I put a cut peice of mylar under the flippers to protect the playfield from scraping up.  I cut the mylar in a triangle shape and the wide of the flipper throw.

I am having a problem with one of the starburst rollover targets not registering, I will clean the switch and check solder joints as time permits.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 03:36:58 pm »
The comments thing is a bit disheartening isn't it? ;)

The pin forum is fairly dead here. Used to be the KLOV pin forum was better, but it is almost as bad now.

So....

Looks Good! Keep up the good work!!

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 07:50:01 pm »
i resolved the issue with the ball return kicker.  it was a broken insert that was causing the problem of the ball not having enough power to go down the little track.

soon this pin will be ready to go home.  its in my office at work and i work on it during my breaks and lunch time.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 10:52:18 am »
I started working on repairing my drop targets.  I had bought a drop target on ebay for the parts.  The drop target finger parts that are in the assembly connected to the springs were chewed up bad on the 5banker, and the 4 banker had a broken drop target bar that we have already repaired.  I had been busy the past few days so very little has been done since the last post.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 03:51:07 pm »
I got most of the new rubber on the machine and most of the posts.  I need 7 post screws that are not machine screw style.  the other playfield had been repaired with machine screws and wood inserts but this other playfield doesnt need those.  Soon it will be playable!!!! :applaud:

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »
I got most of the new rubber on the machine and most of the posts.  I need 7 post screws that are not machine screw style.  the other playfield had been repaired with machine screws and wood inserts but this other playfield doesnt need those.  Soon it will be playable!!!! :applaud:

The machine screw/T-nut process is a much more durable setup. I would recommend you go get some proper sized t-nuts and reuse the better machine thread posts.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 08:14:33 am »
I just didnt want to drill through this playfield anymore than I have to.  I already had to fix 1 post like that, lickily the old PF had a T-nut ( gripper one) and a post to match and I used that.

Cyberflexx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
I am having some problems with the scoring, on my 5bank target and the star roll overs so I need to take a look at some of the relays.