Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: trying to make an arcade stick with a 2mm throw  (Read 1696 times)

Broken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 04:29:02 pm
trying to make an arcade stick with a 2mm throw
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »
thinking about modding an arcade stickwith a 1-2mm throw range. i want a stick that reacts quickly.

will any problem arise from modding a stick with a really small deadzone?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:36:29 pm by Broken »

fatfingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
Re: trying to make an arcade stick with a 1mm throw
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »

I suspect that the problem will be that since you don't always move the stick in -exactly- the right direction you want, you will be moving in directions that you don't want to move.  Because our initial movement (1mm) is probably not exact, but after we get out there a ways we're much closer to where we ought to be.

But, what do I know?

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:29:48 pm »

I suspect that the problem will be that since you don't always move the stick in -exactly- the right direction you want, you will be moving in directions that you don't want to move.  Because our initial movement (1mm) is probably not exact, but after we get out there a ways we're much closer to where we ought to be.

But, what do I know?

Along these lines, I would hope it would be a phsycially restricted 2 or 4 way.  I cant imagine trying to only hit one direction on an 8 way with that small of a deadzone.

Broken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:33:26 pm »
its 8 way, and i'm specifically making it this way to play street fighter alpha2.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: trying to make an arcade stick with a 2mm throw
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »
I have a Mag Stik Plus which has a very small throw, and is 4/8 way switchable. I can tell you that I really don't like it for 8 way games because it's too easy to push it wrong with such a short throw (but I love it for 4 way games).
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:58 pm »
I have a Mag Stik Plus which has a very small throw, and is 4/8 way switchable. I can tell you that I really don't like it for 8 way games because it's too easy to push it wrong with such a short throw (but I love it for 4 way games).

I have a balltop plus installed on a game, and really don't like it. The switches SUCK. Has anyone ever traded out the switches for true Cherry switches?

massive88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »
its 8 way, and i'm specifically making it this way to play street fighter alpha2.

I could be wrong, but I think that small of a throw wouldnt work well.  I would imagine too many accidental jumps or ducks when trying to block or use any forward moves.  Dont know for sure though.

Is a Sanwa too far of a throw?

Broken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:45:16 pm »
sanwa's are too large for me, and i dont really like the square restrictor.

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 06:48:11 pm »
You can get octagonal restrictors for most of Sanwa's sticks.  I couldn't imagine trying to use the standard square ones for, well, anything really.  Sanwa JLF with the octagonal restrictor is probably my favorite stick, though I wish it had levered microswitches like the Seimitsu sticks do.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:15 pm »
Hehn hehn hehn, someone else, now. <....sigh>  Well, the problem is that the sticks just aren't designed from the ground up for this. I've had some success with P360s, and U360s.

In the case of the former, I replaced the inner plastic pieces above and below the middle point of the base with plastic sleeves of a thicker outer diameter. It's pretty tight relatively speaking, and I can see many wouldn't like it perhaps because of clumsiness. Yoo must be kung foo, yoo seee.

In the case of the U360, I got it down to about two or three millimeters, and for a while the issue was that the mapping software couldn't handle that, but can now because you can input your own values into the ini. However, the other issue is hardware-related, where the shaft isn't held VERY STRICTLY in place by the base (as the P360 is).
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »
The Mag-stiks do have a very short throw, but for lightning-moves with a very solid feeltry the Suzo 500's. Regarded as a 'budget' stick and hated by many, it was found on most generic cabs when I was growing up and enables much easier move pulling on fighting games and when I went back to long-throw springy sticks I wondered what the hell happened to my game. It was particularly annoying on my favourite fighter KI as every dedicated cab had sloppy sticks and they were usually very worn. Never happened with the Suzos and when I built my first cab with these and played KI I found I was 10 times better than I ever was in the arcades.

Broken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:04 am »
The Mag-stiks do have a very short throw, but for lightning-moves with a very solid feeltry the Suzo 500's. Regarded as a 'budget' stick and hated by many, it was found on most generic cabs when I was growing up and enables much easier move pulling on fighting games and when I went back to long-throw springy sticks I wondered what the hell happened to my game. It was particularly annoying on my favourite fighter KI as every dedicated cab had sloppy sticks and they were usually very worn. Never happened with the Suzos and when I built my first cab with these and played KI I found I was 10 times better than I ever was in the arcades.

yeah, i'm modding an old suzo stick. the type with the rubber centering grommit. i own about 20 suzo 500's, but i dont like the  clunky feel of it, and suprisingly, the throw isnt small enough for me, but it without a doubt has the smallese throw i've seen. i also dont like the square restrictor.

i think the suzo 500 is 5mm, i want at least 2mm.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:52:21 am by Broken »

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 10:23:47 am »
Unless the centre-ing mechanism is spot-on with little chance of returning off-centre, I doubt you'll get a throw that small without 'false movements' being detected if you fart too hard. Especially if you don't like the 'clunkiness' of the Suzos, you're not going to be able to do it with a soft-sprung stick as inevitably the centre-ing mechanism won't be as strong. Your only possible hope of doing something half close to this is to take a U360 (which feels loose but centres well), creating a custom restrictor plate and programming the actuation distance very low for each direction. Even then I imagine it won't be very long before wear makes false movements appear.

Broken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »
Unless the centre-ing mechanism is spot-on with little chance of returning off-centre, I doubt you'll get a throw that small without 'false movements' being detected if you fart too hard. Especially if you don't like the 'clunkiness' of the Suzos, you're not going to be able to do it with a soft-sprung stick as inevitably the centre-ing mechanism won't be as strong. Your only possible hope of doing something half close to this is to take a U360 (which feels loose but centres well), creating a custom restrictor plate and programming the actuation distance very low for each direction. Even then I imagine it won't be very long before wear makes false movements appear.

dont get me wrong the suzo 500 is my favourite stick. so the complaint i have about the 500 are minor compared to other sticks. the cluckiness feel is the square restrictor which i despise, not the spring, i prefer stiffer springs, infact the suzo 500 spring isnt stiff enough for my liking, i prefer the happ p360 spring.

my old style suzo doesnt use a sprng, it uses a rubber pad to center the stick which is far quicker and thus more reliable than a spring. it returns to the center instantly without bouncing.