Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sanwa JLF/JLW/Ultimarc U360 top mounting guide  (Read 54703 times)

Turambar

• And I don't watch Fox news or use Happ joysticks.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2021, 11:10:13 pm
  • Owner of Wayback's Arcade
    • Wayback's Arcade
Re: Sanwa JLF/JLW/Ultimarc U360 top mounting guide
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:18 pm »
I just wanted to hop on and say thanks again.  I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Lizard Lick, and I am ready to man up and make my CP. 

Turambar

• Offline Offline
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 12:32:24 am »
I ordered a couple of JLF-TM-8T-SK's from lizardlick.  I am following the guide, but I may have run into a slight problem.  I am top mounting these sticks into 3/4 inch mdf.  If I cut a tight hole for the base to go through and route the top of the panel so the mounting plate is flush with the top of the CP, the posts on the switches don't extend down past the bottom of the CP to attach to easily attach quick disconnects to.  I went with the JLF-TM-8T-SK's because I thought it would be easier to do a nicer wiring job cutting wire to length for individual switches than being stuck with working with just the length of the wiring harness coming from the pcb of the JLF-TP-8YT's.  Am I missing something or just making a noob mistake?

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 04:04:50 am »
I see what your problem is.

I made this panel with JLWs in a while back. The panel was made from 12mm (1/2") MDF and the switches only just cleared the underside of the CP.

I think what you are going to need to is recess the underside of the CP to give clearance for the switches. You could do it by relieving the whole joystick area of just the area around the switches.

If it was me I would just relive the area near the microswitches. I would make a template like this:

And then use a pattern bit to recess 1/4" or so of the panel to give something like this:

Turambar

• Offline Offline
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:21 am »
Thanks, Franco.  That makes perfect sense.  I should be able to do this.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 07:44:53 am »
No problem, good luck with it  :)

markronz, I hope you don't mind but I copied your method for flush mounting the screws and pasted it into the original post.  :cheers:

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:39 am »
Fine by me.   Always glad to help.   ;D

Turambar

• Offline Offline
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »
I can explain to you what I ended up doing with mine.  I used a bit to customize the mounting plate a bit.    I basically made the mounting holes recessed so that the screws would sit level with the rest of the mounting plate.

I did some prep work for my control panel today.  Hopefully I will be doing some updating to my project thread soon.  I just wanted to post what I found to do what Markronz demonstrated.  I used this to create a chamfer in my joystick mounting plates:

It is a Hitachi 3/8" Countersink Bit.  The package says that it is for pvc and wood, but I was able to use it on the metal mounting plates with ease.  I was incredibly paranoid about going down to far, but it is actually incredibly hard to mess this up.  The top of the screws are now flush with the mounting plate, and it is incredibly sturdy.  I did 12 holes on 3 mounting plates total, and the bit did not wear down.  The best part:  the price.  This bit cost $3.69 at my local Lowe's.  Thanks to Makronz for the tutorial.

I also want to give a shout out to Franco for this jig making tutorial.  I made my jigs and did a trial mount.  I am incredibly pleased with the sturdiness and the aesthetic result.  I did want to share about one thing I purchased for this.  To make the recesses for the mounting plates, I purchased this 1/2'' Pattern Router bit from rockler:  

This bit is incredible!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:20:57 pm by Turambar »

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 10:11:23 am »
Awesome! Glad to hear its going well so far!

Turambar

• Offline Offline
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 05:41:02 pm »
I am finally assembling my CP, and I think I have finished all of the woodworking that was necessary.  This tutorial was incredibly helpful.  I wanted to show pics of my design and ask a couple of questions.  Thanks to Markronz and Franco for their help!

This is the recess for my trackball mounting plate:

Here are the recesses for two of my joysticks...

Here is a closeup of a joystick mounting plate sitting in the recess.  I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but it is perfectly flush with the top of the CP.  I gave myself a little wiggle room with the width and the length of the mounting plate.

What is best to fill in those small gaps between the edge of a mounting plate and the edge of the recess?  Wood filler?  Bondo?  What would you use?

The next two shots are of the recess Franco recommended that I make for my joystick switches.  These are the pics of the bottom of the CP.

Tonight I hope to get the all of the mounting plates bolted in.  Should I prime the surface before I put the adhesive artwork down?

EvilGreenDevil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 01:50:45 pm
    • press start to continue
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:01 pm »
this is EXACTLY the tutorial I am looking for. I might bit the bullet and attempt this for my CP which will hold two Seimitsu LS-32s. My artwork will be printed on adhesive back paper so the measurements need to be right the first time as another poster mentioned.

Also, I'm surprised that some are using 12mm MDF. I was originally going to do this but thought 18mm MDF would be more sturdy. Not sure which to use and I'm going to have to start experimenting and see what works best.
Xbox360 GT - EvilGreenDevil | twitter - dcmyers
My First Bartop Build

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49:58 pm »
Turambar, I just happened to see your other thread, so I know that you've already got past the part you've asked questions about, but for the sake of the thread, I thought I'd answer here anyway.  Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.   For myself, my gaps were very minimal, so I didn't fill them in with anything.   Also, I had a plexiglass cover, so the small gaps would not really present a problem then.   If I were not going with plexiglass, then I would recommend filling in those gaps.  And yes, I would use bondo personally.

Also, for my other control panel, where I used the self adhesive artwork, I did prime it first.   I primed and sanded it a few times to give it a super smooth, even surface to stick to.   But depending on what material you're using, you may not need to.  But I would prime it, yes.

EvilGreenDevil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 10:39:59 am »
Can anyone advise me on whether to go with 3/4" (18mm) MDF or 1/2" (12mm) for this? My CPO is going to be small at 19" x 7.5" and will include two joysticks with 6 buttons each. My first thought was to use 3/4" since it' would provide more stability but everyone seems to be fine with 1/2".

Definitely going to top mount so will 1/2" be strong enough? Will 3/4" take up too much space?

Thanks!
My First Bartop Build

Turambar

• Offline Offline
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:51 pm »
DC,

A lot of it depends on the type of joysticks you will use.  If you read the whole thread, I had no trouble at all top mounting a Sanwa JLW-TM-8 in 3/4 inch MDF.  The switches cleared the mdf, and they are easily accessible. 

My other Sanwa sticks did not go as deep, however.  Because of this, I had to additionally route out on the bottom of my CP for room for the switches.  That is what this pic is:

I have been told by others that 1/2 is strong enough.  If that is the case, you will save yourself from having to route out the additional space if you have joysticks with shallower bases. 

The best thing you can do is purchase the sticks you plan on using and put them up right beside the wood.  Check the depth.  If you decide you are going to bottom mount, you may want to purchase longer shafts. 

EvilGreenDevil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I did read the whole thread and was looking more for an opinion/suggestion from those who have used either of the two thicknesses.

I have extended shafts that were given to me and will fit my LS-32s. I am just looking for the most sturdy set up because once I get them in, they are not going anywhere meaning I wont swap them. The last thing I'm hoping to have happen is my joysticks moving or the mdf cracking if I go with 1/2"

Sorry to be a novice about the concept.

My First Bartop Build

Turambar

• Offline Offline
    • Wayback's Arcade
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »
Bro, we all start out as novices lol.  What you aren't seeing in this thread is Markronz patience with me as I bombard him with questions in PMs.  If you top mount, you won't have to go with longer shafts no matter what you use.  If you bottom mount, you most likely will have to use the shafts.  It is 6 in one and a half dozen in the other.  As far as sturdiness goes, 3/4 inch will be sturdier over longer distances, but if I recall from another thread, your CP is only going to be 19-20 inches wide... I would think that 1/2 would be more than strong enough.  My CP is 34 inches wide, so I went with something stronger.

EvilGreenDevil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »
Thanks BRO ;) I think I'm set on scrapping my 3/4" and trying the 1/2". Since I have so much left over from the rest of the cabinet, I will try top and bottom mount on some scrap just to learn and see which one I like better.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yv0oqo
My First Bartop Build

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 12:59:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »
Edit - answered my own question... looks like 1/4" is about right for OBSN.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what is the correct thickness for MDF to mount sanwa OBSN screw buttons? Is it really 7mm? (or a recess to 7mm)? Seems thin.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:34:42 am by Tzakiel »
My Fighter CRT Cabinet Thread: Tzakiel's 2P Cabinet

spratkobasa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2019, 09:10:43 am
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:45 am »
First off, thank you guys for all the information in this thread, it has helped me a ton on making my jigs for top mounting my u360 sticks.  I am using stove bolt screws which are the same size as the green screws mentioned either in this thread.  I was planning of thining the heads down to 1mm as was also done in this thread.  On my control panel I plan on layering plexi then paper control panel art (non-sticky) then the top mounted joystick.  I am a total noob so if possible I want to avoid making the holes in my mounting plate bigger if it creates more work.  Would it be fine to just shove the dust washer underneath the control panel art to flatten the void between bolts and avoid snagging?  I was also considering putting old playing cards in the space to fill the game as well.  Or should I just go the way of counter sinking the plate? What do you guys recommend?

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2017, 11:53:19 pm
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2017, 01:42:57 pm »
I am going to purposefully resurrect a 8 year old thread, since all of my research on mounting my Sanwa JLF's keeps leading me here, and I've pretty much planned my control panel around this thread.

The question I have is this, for anyone that can answer...I understand that top mounting this way is one of the strongest method for mounting a joystick, but I keep thinking that if the controller ever breaks, I need to destroy the vinyl cover to change it out. Since I am using 3/4" MDF and between 1/16 - 1/8 lexan/plexi, is there a better way to mount that allows removal of the joystick from the bottom of the panel if there is ever an issue?

Thanks,
Tom

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »
Can't you just route out the bottom 1/4 and then mount? You could also get a longer shaft to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 04:08:50 pm »
How would I secure them?

1.) Screws from the bottom seem to be a bad idea, due to MDF
2.) Blind nuts might work, but I still haven't found anyone who has used them long term
3.) I could counter sink nuts in the top of the panel, so that the bolts can be unscrewed from the bottom.

#3 seems like it would be the best option, but has anybody accomplished this using #3 or another way.

Thanks,
Tom

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 04:33:06 pm »
http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html#mountingkits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:54:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2017, 12:54:15 am »
is there a better way to mount that allows removal of the joystick from the bottom of the panel if there is ever an issue?
Check out the "Under mount (support blocks)" option and read more here about the threaded inserts that gumby510 mentioned.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Joysticks

Scott

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2017, 04:57:47 pm »
Thanks!

So my plan is to route the panel underside (the full size of the mounting plate) to about 5/16, and drill a 24mm joystick hole through. Then use the blind hole nuts, and secure from the bottom. With 1/8 lexan, that means the joystick will be 7/16 (~13.5 mm) below the panel, I know the suggested depth is 9mm, will this work? Or should I route down to 1/4? I'm not sure if 1/4 is deep enough to sink the blind nuts without coming through.

Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:11:45 pm by lordoxide »

lordoxide

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:51 pm »
So all things considered,

I think I will grab 4x of these:
https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-p1-s-mounting-plate/

And 1x of these for 4 joysticks:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=317:99036b4a4026720400c1be17552e2635

I will route the dimensions of the controller 65mm x 65mm, down to 1/4" from the bottom. Then ontop of that I will route the dimensions of S-plate (21.5 mm on opposite facing sides) down about 9 mm. This should give me 15mm depth to sink the blind nuts, and just over 9 mm joystick clearance.

See my horribly sketched image attached.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Tom

equlizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2017, 12:16:02 am »
My JLF's are mounted underneath and recessed.  No bolts showing here  :afro:  Also the use of a CNC machine helps