Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U360 hollow shaft and balltop. Where to buy?  (Read 3373 times)

urbecrisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 08:05:57 pm
  • I was the S**T back in '82
U360 hollow shaft and balltop. Where to buy?
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:07:53 am »
I'm trying to locate the thread about purchasing a wired shaft for a LED balltop for my U360.  I found a few threads and a website for the balltops but I'm looking for a "one stop shop" that can supply the shaft, wiring, balltop and LED.  Does anyone know where to look or do I have to purchase everything separate and assemble myself?

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Re: U360 hollow shaft and balltop. Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:44:07 am »
I think "franco b" can make them.. I emailed him a while ago he's in the UK. Id like to forgetting about hollow shaft for led's I need to make mine 3/4'' longer because mine is on wood and sits terribly low... I know ultimarc / andy sells a 10mm longer one but thats not tall enough.

I wish that andy would make them 3/4'' longer then the stock shaft.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:46:42 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:48:30 am »
I used to make them but I can't make them any more due to work commitments.

[Luigi] makes pre wired hollow shafts for the JLW which fit the U360. [This] is his website.

You will need to make a 2mm wide groove from the end of the shaft and into the e-clip groove to allow clearance for the wires when the U360s magnet is in place. These pictures explain it better:

If you or Luigi cannot make the groove in the shaft, get them sent to me and I'll mill the slot and then send it on to you.

For clear balltops you want the Seimitsu LB-39 balls or GGGs [translucent balls] (with a 6mm thread).

The LB-39s are available from arcadeshop.de and lizard lick amongst other places.

Be warned that the LB-39s now come with a capped 6mm insert nut. You need to drill through the end of the cap with a ~5mm drill to allow the LED to light the ball.

mrclean, have you thought about top mounting your U360s? I'm doing a top mount tutorial at the moment. I should have it finished off this afternoon and I'll post the pics etc in [this] thread.

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:11 am »
I think I will send Luigi a PM to see if he'll do the wiring and cutting/drilling for me.  I'm afraid I may damage things so I'll see if it's something I can just pay him to do.  Thanks Franco B.  I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:52 am »
Yeah I just want to take the easy way out and order larger shafts for my u360's  ;D Mine don't need to be hollow either I just want them to be 3/4'' longer then the traditional ones.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:00:38 am »
We do sell longer shafts.

But I would be interested in feedback from anyone using hollow shafts with this type of "fixed" LED wiring. I would be worried that the wires would become stretched and affect play if the handle is rotated, which it would be eventually, but maybe its not an issue.

Andy

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2018, 11:06:19 am
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:13:52 am »
How about a U360H(ollow) manufactered with built-in stop pins so it does not turn much.  Then sell an optional LED balltop; switch balltop or even better, LED/Switch balltop.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 11:12:04 am »
I think play would be affected if the stick were limiting against pins. The best method is a rotating contact eg jack, but not easy to do on this stick. Not impossible though as it has been done.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:11:47 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:32:48 am »
I think play would be affected if the stick were limiting against pins. The best method is a rotating contact eg jack, but not easy to do on this stick. Not impossible though as it has been done.
A slip ring would be ideal for this situation, however I doubt an off the shelf item exists that would work.  This could leave the end of the shaft free to mount the magnet.

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
When I started the thread I was under the assumption that the LED works with the balltops & U360 hollow shafts.  Can someone chime in who has actually produced this setup.  I wasn't thinking about how the shaft would turn with the wires...good point.  Andy, I could see you selling a lot of these if it was something you could produce. Any thoughts?