Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What part of Australia do you live?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Aussie State Poll  (Read 13624 times)

wboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2005, 05:09:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Aussie State Poll
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2004, 06:57:06 am »
Melbourne, VIC

wrx2hot4u

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2007, 09:30:41 am
  • There can be only 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2004, 06:14:42 pm »
Whats the deal with people selling J-Pac's and other Ultimarc products on ebay?
It just go's to show some people will do anything to make a quick buck! In my opinion people that buy stuff from Ultimarc for cheap and then re sell it for an over inflated amount are just d*cks!

The whole principle behind Mame is "FREE" or "Hobbie" not "Lets rip off people who dont know much about a hobbie there just getting into"!!!. And then the seller acutually hyper links to www.ultimarc.com??? Thats almost as good as this guy who was selling plans for MAME cabs on ebay then hyperlink to another persons site. People will say to me "But if people are stupid enough thats there prob", well that not the point nor the pricipal of it!

Im now think of putting J-Pacs on ebay for "COST PRICE" just to prove a point. Then people might realise what there really worth, or if people email me I will advise them of the cheapest and most cost affective alternative. I dont care if this post comes under fire I have a right to my opinion and I want everyone to be able to enjoy old school gaming with worrying about getting ripped off. I know my self as Im sure a lot of people do how bad it feels when you buy something and then later get told youve been ripped off.

wboy

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2004, 09:45:40 am »
Did you ever stop and think that if the seller included the original sites URL, that it might be legit sale with no intent to make quick cash?

If the buyer is stupid enough to pay more than they would if they purchased a new one from the site, well then good luck to the seller.  Laziness has cost the buyer.  Nothing new here.  Do you should around for the best price on computer assessories, or do you buy the RRP harvey norman price?  Or make them price match for that matter.

I've know of JAMMA harnesses that sell for $30 on a local site, which wen't for $60+ dollars on ebay auctions.

What to make of this?  Well, the site should set them self up as a ebay trader, it is seems to be a better tool to allow people to find and buy your product, be it at the buy-it-now price of $30 or not.  Sellers choice I guess.

microwrx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2008, 09:22:02 am
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2004, 04:52:40 pm »
That might be fine for something else but MAME is a hobby, not a commercial business.  It, like this web site, is all about helping people out in an effort to share in the experiences we once had as kids and keep the old games alive.

Now people like Andy Warne and Randy T have gone to alot of trouble to develop products to make doing all this much easier for us and I believe as comercial entities they are quite entitled to make a buck off it.  Neither do I have an issue with someone who sells a J-PAC or the like on eBay because they bought 1 too many or don't need it anymore.

However, this person has obviously bought a whole load of stuff from Andy and is selling them, one at a time, for profit...blatantly in my opinion.  And as far as I'm concerned that is just not in the spirit of this hobby.  If they were not out to make a quick buck then they'd stick a buy it now price on the auctions that was $5 or maybe $10 over what it cost them to get them here but that isn't the case is it.  I wonder if they are also burning copies of Andy's CD to go with them as well or selling them with no documentation at all (you get one CD from Andy regardless how many items you buy).

Just because there are stupid people out there doesn't mean it isn't wrong to prey on them (regardless of the legality).

And anyone with half a brain knows the difference between buying from somewhere like Harvey Norman and an online computer place is convenience.  I can go down to my local Harvey Norman, pay for something and take it home.  I pay more because they are there, I can physically go in and check stuff out and take it home after making my decision.  With online places I save the money at the price of less convenience and having to wait (although sometimes not very long).  The online store has less overheads so can afford to sell cheaper.

If you could buy a J-PAC in Harvey Norman then buying at that price is fine.  But this person offers no such benefit, in fact little benefit at all as regardless who you buy off you still have to wait.

You are entitled to your opinion just as we are entitled to ours! :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 05:03:56 pm by microwrx »

wboy

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 08:03:53 am »
Yes, MAME is about preserving old games before the original hardware dies out of existence, but  not officially about allowing you to share memories past.  If that was the case, the roms would be free for you use.  Consider it more as an "no one really cares but it is still technically illegal" nicety of MAME.

If you are true arcade hobbyist, well then I am sure you own some old PCBs? or maybe not... they are still available at reasonable prices if you look hard enough.... thats if you really interested to that degree...  Maybe you already are, and good if so... because I am... I own a several boards... one which cost me a lot of do$h at the time.   But I don't regret it, as its still not emulated... and may never be due to heavy protection...

Oh and sorry, but when I did I mention online store in my original post?  I can pick up a local computer trader magazine, walk in to a local store and pick up a product upto a 1/4 of the price cheaper than a big retail store.  Okay, they'll probably give me a hard time if I need/want to return/replace it, but hey, for that amount of money I'll take the risk.  Or alternatively, like I have before, walk in to OfficeWorks, show them the adverts of the competiting store up the road, and whammo, after a phone call to check that shop has it in stock, that printer was mine for the same, heavily discounted price.

And back to the main argument just to end, again.... what can you do about .... nothing...  so why waste time caring about what stupid people buy things at stupid prices.  Sad thing is, you probably care more than Andy etc.  I sure he is doing quite well... and good luck to him if he is.

In theory, you can look at it in a way that Andy (and others) are pocketing good money with good products that easily enhance the MAME experience.  So do they donate to MAME dev or ROM dumping teams with a percentage of there product earings?  They have created there success from a "non-commercial" hobby that is MAME, running a very commerical business.

Hope they do, that is if they are doing well from it all....  but thats there choice either way and I'm fine with that.

Anyway, lets just leave it at that.... I see your point...  I was just kind of expressing the reality of it.... and they fact that overall, its probably so insignificant that we should be enjoying games on MAME rather than worring about it.   I'm sure Andys not loosing sleep over it....  but I am.... as it late.... as I write this.... time for bed.

Play nice... ;D

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2004, 04:45:51 pm »
Yep, I've got a couple of game boards.  I want to make sure I can play Gyruss forever (so I have 3 of those, a fully working genuine Konami, a fully working bootleg and a working bootleg with sprite issues).  I have a couple of others as well.

cheers ;D

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2004, 05:04:36 am »
Point taken about the computer stores.  You didn't mention online stores at all, my mistake.  The principal is still the same though - big store with big rent versus small store with smaller rent.  But I get your point.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 07:29:49 am by microwrx »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:37:29 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004, 11:41:59 am »

just popping my vote in for the territory. i must be the only one!

remember, this is the NT- Not Today, Not tomorrow, Not Tuesday, Not Thursday... and probably not on any of the other days either...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2004, 11:08:26 am »
I'm in Melbourne. Been here for 16 years. Been trying to escape since.

HELP!!!   >:( :( 8) ;D :-X :-\ ::) :-* :'( >:( ;D
Now in a tasty new flavour.

Gameboy.au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2005, 05:54:15 am
  • Cabinet completion: 65%
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2004, 08:53:07 am »
Good to see another smart South Aussie rockhopper, not only a mame cabinet builder but a proud Power supporter too.  Good stuff. ;D

Isn't this weird   :o

Not only do I live in Adelaide too (in fact, just looking at the control panel thread in regards to Magill Road, I work just around the corner from the Maid and Magpie) but I am also a Power supporter as well.   ;D

God bless us MAMErs.

8)
The internet, hey... so they have that on computer's now???

roguejedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2007, 07:03:54 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2004, 10:29:26 pm »
Melbourne, Victoria

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2004, 10:42:48 am »
just thought id bring this to the front again just in case there are any more aussies out there...

(",)

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2004, 10:33:12 am »
hey i noticed someone else ticked NT!! was that by mistake or am i not alone?

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2004, 05:27:58 am »
hey i noticed someone else ticked NT!! was that by mistake or am i not alone?

Maybe you voted twice.

Jomac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2020, 02:53:42 pm
  • CapKit vs Shotgun = same result !
    • Jomac
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2004, 09:53:15 pm »
WA = Wait Awhile  , happy to be here though :)

Fuzzguitar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2012, 12:15:34 am
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2004, 09:40:29 am »
Can't believe I missed this thread earlier. I'm from Sydney and of course I'm a keen Swans supporter too. That keeps me sane amongst all the league fans here.
"My cab is nearly finished, no really I swear!"

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2004, 01:07:35 pm »
I'm from Sydney and of course I'm a keen Swans supporter too.

Hello Swans member number 2, I'm number 3. If number 1 is here, please contact us. It's lonely.  :'(
Now in a tasty new flavour.

qball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2005, 09:11:38 am
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2004, 09:33:30 pm »
Melbourne, Victoria here.

I've been lurking on these boards for a while; slowly getting enough info to confidently start construction on my first MAME cab. It's good to see so many Australians here.

Recently started to get into arcade hardware collecting as well. I've been on the lookout for an empty Lowboy style cabinet, still tossing up the pro's and cons of just building one that I know will be decent quality.

Evil Incarnate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2005, 07:17:11 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2004, 10:11:10 am »
Queenslander here. Just getting into mame now so no cab or pics to post yet. Found out about this through my job I build and repair computers as well as MP3 Jukebox's.  ;D

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2004, 10:17:32 am »
Queenslander here. Just getting into mame now so no cab or pics to post yet. Found out about this through my job I build and repair computers as well as MP3 Jukebox's.  ;D

Welcome to BYOAC, Evil Incarnate.

What software do you use in the MP3 jukeboxes that you build?

Retro

ryantheleach

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2013, 01:44:17 pm
  • I'm a llama!
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2004, 10:43:33 pm »
S.A go the crows (too bad there not doing so well) anyways i have a prob ultimarc dont have the colors i want for my cp but there the only ones ive seen with a top switching 8way to 4 way joy stick id sill accept one that you can change from the bottom but they still dont have the colors i need blue red yellow and green ( 4player guantlet machiene)

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2004, 01:46:35 am »
S.A go the crows (too bad there not doing so well) anyways i have a prob ultimarc dont have the colors i want for my cp but there the only ones ive seen with a top switching 8way to 4 way joy stick id sill accept one that you can change from the bottom but they still dont have the colors i need blue red yellow and green ( 4player guantlet machiene)

G'day Ryan,

Bad luck about the Crows, perhaps Craigy can save them.

Looking at the Ultimarc web site they sell their balltops in red, blue, black and light green, which means yellow is your only problem, perhaps you might have to put up with a black balltop in your yellow panel until they come out in yellow. Perhaps contact Andy Warne at Ultimarc and find out if he's able to do anything for you, or find out if he plans to sellow yellow balltops in the future.

Or perhaps just go with all black joysticks like in this picture.

Good luck.

Retro

Evil Incarnate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2005, 07:17:11 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2004, 12:08:29 pm »

Welcome to BYOAC, Evil Incarnate.

What software do you use in the MP3 jukeboxes that you build?

Retro

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Well the software we use at work is paid software i.e is isn't the kind of stuff you can use at home as a general rule. The jukes I work on are made by a place in NZ then shiped over here, and they make the software "in house".
To give you an idea here is their website. http://www.4ajukebox.com/
The software has a few things which are a pain like the keys are not remapable, but it also has a few really nice fetures like twin display (1screen juke other screen for music videos) and it is controlled with ease. Normal function only requires 4 butons.

Sorry for the long winded answer but because the software is made "in house" it sorta doesnt have a proper name to just give for it lol.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: Aussie State Poll
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2005, 09:06:18 pm »
so how many banana benders are there out there? cos im soon gonna be one myself! and i wont be able to take my cab with me so umm, you know...

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2005, 12:18:01 am »
Sydney boy here.

When/why you moving danny?

I was up at Darwin a few years back and loved it. Apart from the heat, I could handle living there I reckon.

Living the delusional lifestyle.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2005, 09:22:34 pm »
Sydney boy here.

When/why you moving danny?

Apart from the heat, I could handle living there I reckon.

you got it. its the heat  ;D. if its so great, why arent you here now? hehe.

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2005, 12:48:26 am »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2005, 08:58:17 pm »
chicken. you waited for the cyclone to pass! i went surfing the yesterday!! yes, we get surf here but only when cyclones pass near by  ;D

whatisk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2017, 06:41:39 am
  • Nothing to see here
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2005, 09:28:49 pm »
From Brisbane myself.

Looking at building a lowboy due to space restrictions in my townhouse.
Currently going through the 'which joystick to get' dilemma. But I think I have finally settled for the J-Stick. Either from Ozstick or Ultimarc.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this post. Though several electrons were severely inconvenienced.

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2005, 09:23:40 am »
Old thread....Late reply...

West Aussie.

:)
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

Stumpy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2006, 10:16:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2005, 08:17:23 am »
Another from SA here.

Have got some controls together so far. One day I will put a cab together...

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2005, 08:49:59 am »
The number of Aussies here is growing.

Soon the master plan will be complete and our mission for world domination will be revealed when 10 million thongs and stubby holders are launched at our foes.

Personally I can't wait to take Indonesia out first.....

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2005, 09:14:57 pm »
The number of Aussies here is growing.

Soon the master plan will be complete and our mission for world domination will be revealed when 10 million thongs and stubby holders are launched at our foes.

Personally I can't wait to take Indonesia out first.....

indonesia is already full of thongs though...

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2005, 10:41:35 pm »
I am very angry at the Indonesians due to the Schapelle Corby fiasco.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2005, 03:10:47 am »
Im more pissed off that there starting to charge ppl money to see her  >:(

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2005, 01:09:09 pm »

I think we should let the Indonesian judicial system take it's path and wait for the verdict to be handed down before we start getting angry.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2005, 08:55:41 am »
What im worried about is the judges.

The main judge(the 1 you see mostly) doesn't seem to care.

There system is based on the Innocent till proven guilty yet he said (and this was said it's not some something i heard) that she hasn't proven she's innocent yet.

That comment just contradicts the whole way the system is ment to work.

He has done 500 drug cases and hasn't aquitted 1 but the details on them arn't known so im not basing my beliefe on that but he just seems to wanna make the aussie pay.

He doesn't seem to be a fair and honest judge with the coments he has said.

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2005, 02:26:10 am »
What im worried about is the judges.

The main judge(the 1 you see mostly) doesn't seem to care.

There system is based on the Innocent till proven guilty yet he said (and this was said it's not some something i heard) that she hasn't proven she's innocent yet.

That comment just contradicts the whole way the system is ment to work.

He has done 500 drug cases and hasn't aquitted 1 but the details on them arn't known so im not basing my beliefe on that but he just seems to wanna make the aussie pay.

He doesn't seem to be a fair and honest judge with the coments he has said.

Sounds like somebody caught that TV show last night huh? :)

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2005, 08:52:36 pm »

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,37193.0.html

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2005, 01:24:34 pm »
Hey fellow Australians, is it just me, or does fellow BYOACer rchadd's avatar sport a striking similarity to our supreme leader and Prime Minister, the honourable John Howard?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 01:54:03 pm by RetroBorg »