Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What part of Australia do you live?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Aussie State Poll  (Read 13642 times)

RetroBorg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
Aussie State Poll
« on: June 27, 2003, 07:47:28 am »
Just interested in which part of Australia some BYOAC members maybe from. Leave a reply so we know who is where.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
Re:Aussie State Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 07:48:49 am »
By the way I'm from Adelaide SA.

Go the Power! ;D

Bluntman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2006, 04:50:13 am
  • RTFM, failing that, kick it.
    • Bluntmation
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 09:08:49 am »
I'm From Tassie.
and from what I've seen, or more specifically HAVEN'T seen, I think I may be the first Tasmanian to build a mame Cab (though technically mine's in mid-build at the moment) - at the very least if someone else HAS beaten me to it, they haven't got it online, not that I've been able to find.... so untill it's proven otherwise, I'm claiming the bragging rights  ;D

8)
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 06:09:54 pm »
Good stuff Bluntman,

I haven't seen any other South Aussies on this site but looking at the poll someone else ticked SA, when I deal with someone in the arcade industry and they ask me what I want that for and I tell them about my Mame cabinet I usually get told they have a friend who has one, so there must be plenty of South Aussies out there.

Isometric Bacon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2014, 08:53:57 pm
  • Lets get dangerous!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 04:12:17 am »
South Australia mate :D

Adelaide to be exact

Go the Power! :D

stuzza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 01:16:34 am
  • I'm a llama!
    • ScreenshotArchive
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 05:34:33 am »
Adelaide, SA here!

Happy_Dude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2003, 09:26:03 am
  • I'm a Damn fool !
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 08:25:07 am »
The A.C.T. and Northen Territory arn't states   :P
Just nit-picking  ;)

I'm from NSW.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 01:48:29 pm »
Just nit-picking  ;)

G'day Happy Dude,

Yes you are right A.C.T. and Northen Territory arn't states I did use the word "State" in my subject line but in my message I was very careful to use the word "part". Anyway good to see another Aussie on this forum. Just wondering Happy_Dude have you made any controls or perhaps a cabinet if so let us know and if you can show us some pics. I have to get some pics of my cabinet on here but it's just a cheap conversion till I can make my dream cabinet.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 01:52:21 pm »
Stuzza,

I saw your Mamewah skins on another thread, nice stuff.
Where abouts in Adelaide are you from? How old are you? And can I get a copy of some of your skins?

RetroBorg

stuzza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 01:16:34 am
  • I'm a llama!
    • ScreenshotArchive
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 12:55:50 am »
Retrobug,

Check your PM.

Happy_Dude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2003, 09:26:03 am
  • I'm a Damn fool !
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 05:04:47 am »
Just nit-picking  ;)

G'day Happy Dude,

Yes you are right A.C.T. and Northen Territory arn't states I did use the word "State" in my subject line but in my message I was very careful to use the word "part". Anyway good to see another Aussie on this forum. Just wondering Happy_Dude have you made any controls or perhaps a cabinet if so let us know and if you can show us some pics. I have to get some pics of my cabinet on here but it's just a cheap conversion till I can make my dream cabinet.
;D

I haven't made anything just yet. Thats why I'm here, gathering intel. ;)

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2003, 11:58:04 pm »
I'm from WA.

Carn the Dockers (especially when playing at home) :D

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 12:14:42 am »
Good stuff Bluntman,

I haven't seen any other South Aussies on this site but looking at the poll someone else ticked SA, when I deal with someone in the arcade industry and they ask me what I want that for and I tell them about my Mame cabinet I usually get told they have a friend who has one, so there must be plenty of South Aussies out there.

Well, there are about 5 or 10 Mame cabinets out there for everyone that actually has a website.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

rockhopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2015, 05:15:36 pm
  • I love orange soda!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 09:09:16 pm »
Hey

Another South Aussie here (Go the Power)

I'm currently building my first cab, I went with a cocktail due to the the smaller size.  Actually just ordered the controls yesterday from Ozstick, so can't wait to get that prototype cp working to test out mame as it should be played!

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 06:01:01 pm »
Good to see another smart South Aussie rockhopper, not only a mame cabinet builder but a proud Power supporter too.  Good stuff. ;D

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 09:55:47 pm »
You port supporters would have to be happy they're on top of the ladder and have a very easy game this week.  Should be a big percentage boost as you belt the Bulldogs.  

Freo on the other hand - have a feeling they'll get beaten by Collingwood which is not what I want  >:(

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 10:57:31 pm »
im in victoria  ;D

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2003, 05:36:46 am »
You port supporters would have to be happy they're on top of the ladder and have a very easy game this week.  Should be a big percentage boost as you belt the Bulldogs.  

:-[ That's what I thought last week against Geelong, I'm happy to win by a point now.

Go the Power. ;D

exian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2005, 02:04:05 am
  • Game NOT Over
    • MAME Fighter Alpha
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 11:32:28 pm »
Perth Rules....

microwrx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2008, 09:22:02 am
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2004, 07:54:20 am »
NSW here.  AFL sux......just kidding.

[rant mode]
No offence and I have nothing against the guy, he is in fact quite helpful and everyones entitled to make a living.  However, why would you buy stuff from OZ Stick when you can get them from the US or UK including shipping cheaper?

For the price he charges for a J-Pac for example I can almost get 2 directly from Ultimarc including air mail to Australia, which takes less than a week usually.  A mate and I just bought a whole lot of stuff from Ultimarc and including shipping it came in around A$600.  The same gear from OZ-Stick not including shipping would have cost just under A$800 (not taking into account the sticks I'm getting from Ultimarc are T-Sticks not J-Sticks).

Let's say you're converting a Jamma cab for MAME and you want a 2 player CP with 6 buttons each plus player 1 & 2 start buttons using a J-Pac, Arcade VGA card and J-Sticks.

OZ Stick  A$             Ultimarc  US$
$432.70                   $226.60

Not including shipping from OZ Stick (but including shipping from Ultimarc) the Aussie $ would have to be at 52c for it to be worthwhile getting from OZ Stick.  At present its between 75c and 80c so the cost of getting the same parts from the UK is around A$310, saving you over A$120.

I'm just wondering what thought process is being used is all.  I mean a couple of weeks ago a J-Pac sold on eBay here in Austrlia for over $100 when you can get one shipped from Andy for less than that and know that it is brand new (less if you get ps2 rather than usb).
[/rant mode]

JJ

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2004, 08:01:36 am »
And it'd pretty safe to say both of these are the same stick:

balltop J-Stick from Ultimarc

balltop stick from OZ-Stick

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2004, 08:23:43 am »
With the Aussie dollars doing so well now, Ozstick isn't as competitive as it was a while back. I think when I ordered my Ipac4 from Ultimarc it worked out slightly cheaper than if I bought it from Ozstick, I'm sure Ultimarc would be much cheaper now.

Anway, it's good to see so many Aussies on this site.

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2004, 09:19:48 pm »
Agreed, OZ Stick probably just need to have a look at their pricing with the new exchange rates.

Hey, there's alot more out there than have posted here though (from people I've spoken to).

wrx2hot4u

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2007, 09:30:41 am
  • There can be only 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2004, 11:23:49 pm »
Hi All!

Some people might recognise my username wrx2hot4u from ebay
I agree microwrx, Ozstick is very hepfull but way to over priced. Andy from Ultimarc would have to be 1 of the most helpfull guys I have dealt with since starting my Mame hobbie. Currently I have 2 machines, 4 player challenger machine and a 6 slot Neo Geo Machine.

This is a very helpfull website by the way RetroBorg, I see your all so a member of arcade-80s.

Brad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:43:23 pm
    • www.emuchrist.org
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2004, 11:47:30 pm »
Me too me too!

NSW to be exact.

As to Ozstick yes I bought from Andy direct after comparing prices though I will restate the exchange rate is a LOT better now so OzStick needs to review his pricing stat.

Brad

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 12:46:24 am »
This is a very helpfull website by the way RetroBorg, I see your all so a member of arcade-80s.

I noticed you were logged in to the arcade-80s forum site when I was last on, it's not a bad site for Aussies who own real Arcade machines, I own a Leisure & Allied Galaxian Cocktail Table, my wife has lost interest in it since I have my 4 player MAME cabinet and with space at a premium I reluctantly have to sell it. I thought I might put a Galaga PCB board in it as they get much higher bids on EBay or perhaps one of those 3 in 1 boards that have Galaga included.

Anyway, for any Aussies interested in this site here is the ink: http://www.arcade-80s.com/forum/index.php?

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004, 09:24:04 am »
When I bought my stuff for the cab the aussie dollar wasn't doing too well at all compared with the US but as OzStick didn't actually have the joysticks and such that I wanted to use - I went overseas.  If I had've waited a year then I would have saved a heap of money with today's exchange rate.  I'm sure OzStick is looking at his prices but if he bought those overseas parts in bulk when the dollar wasn't great you can't really expect him to drop his price and take a loss.  There are plenty of people out there that will pay a higher price as it's much easier to deal local.

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2004, 06:47:45 pm »
Ultimarc - Order and pay by credit card online and delivery to my door in around a week (I have had 1 order from Andy within 4 days).

OZ Stick - Order online, pay by direct deposit or COD, delivery to my door in 2-5 days.

Depends what your idea of easier is.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 03:39:50 am »
I think cdbrown is probably right that OzStik might of bought a lot of stock when the Aussie dollar wasn't doing so well.

The fact is we will always be the poorer cousins over here in Australia when it comes to arcade type stuff, look how cheap arcade cabinets, PCB's, monitors etc are on Ebay in the US to what they go for here in Australia on Ebay.

Part of the reason why stuff is cheaper in the US than here is Leisure & Allied held the main licenses for a lot of our classic games here is Australia but they only imported the PCB's and electronics from Japan and made up their own cabinets here in Australia. Unfortunately they made these cabinets out of chipboard compared to plywood that they used in the US, which means a lot of our cabinets didn't survive over time and also the artwork on our cabinets were different to that used on US cabinets for some games. I have to admit though that the Leisure & Allied cocktail cabinets are a superior design to that I have seen used in the US.

Zzap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2021, 03:12:54 am
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004, 05:40:32 am »
I'm in the ACT. Good to see some other Aussies around.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2004, 07:47:30 am »
I'm in the ACT. Good to see some other Aussies around.

G'day Zzap,

Your our first A.C.T'er on the site just wondering if you own an arcade cabinet or are planning to build or convert one?

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2004, 11:41:27 pm »
I agree, our cocktail machines are a much better design than the US ones.  I have seen several UK tables that are the same as ours though so I wonder if LAI took their design from a table offered over there.

I have a great 4 player cab I recently bought at auction with a working PCB for $250 which was made by Galaxy.  It's all plywood and built absolutely brilliantly, I love it.  Just ordered more gear from Ultimarc to convert it to MAME (J-Pac, I still want to use it for real PCB's).

I've also got an old LAI Space Invaders cab which I got at the same auction.  One of those old B&W reflection ones.  It works but the cab is one of the particle board ones and is falling apart, literally.  The side art was ripped off years ago by the looks so I'm just gonna scrap it.  It's a shame but it really is bad, every time I move it a trail of particle board chips is left behind.

Zzap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2021, 03:12:54 am
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2004, 06:45:37 am »
Your our first A.C.T'er on the site just wondering if you own an arcade cabinet or are planning to build or convert one?

I wish cabs were easy to come by...I decided to make mine from scratch, starting with a control panel, then moving up to a stand etc...Importing parts is definately the only way to go.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/jamestodd

Zzap

Brad

• Offline Offline
    • www.emuchrist.org
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2004, 04:45:22 pm »
Sure cabs are harder to come by in australia with LAI having a virtual monopoly. My LAI made cab is plywood luckily and damn heavy. It's got 2 wheels and 2 handles and I still needed help to move it in LOL!

In Sydney you can buy cabs starting from http://www.ableamusements.com.au/ and the working cabs with games start at $250.00 from memory. Luckily I bought my working cab at auction for $75.00 though =) Pity it's only once a year.

To quote the site:

Arcade Video Games
We have a large range of Arcade Video Games stand-up cabinets and table types with a range of hundreds of different games prices start at $300. For sale & hire.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 04:47:19 pm by Brad »

asalza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2008, 09:28:47 pm
  • When will I ever finish!!!
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2004, 10:43:12 pm »
Gday, Im from the ACT as well.

microwrx

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2004, 11:53:04 pm »
Pity it's only once a year.

Nah, my wife couldn't handle more than 1 a year!

Brad

• Offline Offline
    • www.emuchrist.org
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2004, 12:03:35 am »
LOL I hear ya there. I made the hideous mistake of taking my wife to the last one. Never again though it could spell trouble. I'd buy many cabs if she wasn't there to frown at me  ;D

Brad

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2004, 05:56:47 am »
Checked out your control panel stand Zzap, nicely done, I guess it's very similar to mine, mine is the front part to a Gottlieb showcase cabinet with just a little shelf I tacked on the back with a 21 inch pc monitor sitting on it, unfortunately no trackball like yours. I don't seem use the 4 players very often and I guess when I think about it, don't use 2 players all that often either, I guess I'm not really into the fighting games that much. Really wish I had a trackball for Centipede and Missile Command, I guess I'll have to wait till I can afford to build my dream cab.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2004, 06:09:07 am »
wrx2hot4u,

I see your selling your arcade collection: http://www.arcade-80s.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=131 what's going on, don't tell me your growing up, getting responsible and doing the right thing for the family! ;)

You got to have priorities, surely playing arcade games are more important than your wife having a baby. ;D

I will give you $50 for TMNT. :P

wrx2hot4u

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2007, 09:30:41 am
  • There can be only 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2004, 07:24:49 pm »
LOL, very funny retroborg! $50? I'll take it! and while your there how about I bend over and take it from behind LOL just kidding  ;)
Im not selling everything exactly, im keeping my Neo Geo 6 slot machine, maybe but i haven't decided on the 26" Cab yet.I spent 4 hours last night re wiring and soldering.
Reason: My trade is telecommunications, I cant stand how
dodgy theses arcade places wire up there machines. If anyone knows what im taking about ive platted all cabling and tied down everything. You tip my machine upside down and shake and you wouldn't hear a sound :) thats if you could lift about 110kgs. For someone who doesn't do arcade machines all day and how neat i do it Im worried about the what smarts the qualified guys have hahahaha.

Any comments on that??? Im sure there would be??? It could be said im a little to picky when it comes to cabling. Owell im a Pro what can i say lol and Modest too!