Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best inexpensive tool to cut plexi?  (Read 4800 times)

ViciousXUSMC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2009, 10:25:53 am
Best inexpensive tool to cut plexi?
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:58:17 pm »
Im assuming if I want to cut right angle pieces of plexi that the most normal tool for the job is a jig saw.  However I just need to cut 1 piece to construct a project box to house my hacked gamepads.  I really hate to invest in a expensive tool and right now im broke.

I bought a laminate trimmer when building my control panel in case I had to route my joysticks in and I think that the router may be a good if not better tool for the job as I hear plexi likes to crack when drilled or cut, but the high speed of a router usually melts it rather than cut it so it does not crack.

So I think thats what I want to do, but I cant think of any way to really cut a good straight line with a router with the work area I have.  Id need probably at the least a flush trim bit and something similar to the saw board project we have posted here.

So looking for other options or opinions. 

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Best inexpensive tool to cut plexi?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:21:04 am »
A plexi scoring tool and a metal straight edge is the cheapest method.   Has a sharp hooked tip and you use it like a glass cutter.  Score and the plexi will part along the scores when put over a table edge.   Multiple scores are recommended and be sure to make the scores straight.

MrMojoZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2009, 11:34:56 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:32:16 am »
Cutting a straight line with a router and any type of straight bit is very easy and tends to leave nice edges on the plexi. A jig for the router base to ride along is just as good as a flush trim bit, the flush trim would proably take less setup time per cut though.

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
I will score the crap outta plexi with just a utility knife and a straight edge.  Then break it and it usually comes off pretty clean at the score.  If not, get some pliers to direct the stress right at your score mark, and it will snap off.

I do that to get it within 1/4" of the final size I want, then finish with a flush trim router bit and a wood cutout of the size needed.  Router works great, but the less material I have to remove with the router, the better (makes a mess).

ViciousXUSMC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:16:46 am »
Ok I think I will try the scoring method and see if I can find the actual tool to do that next trip to the hardware store.

If they have it, I'll just get lexan but I hear its very rare to find it.

I have the most pathetic work area thats why I can not use the router effectively.  I do not even have a work table/bench.

This thing is gonna be pretty cool if it comes out the way I am visoning it, a project box that is clear showing off its hacked dreamcast guts :P  makes me want to put led's or neons inside of it lol.

gothroughthegate

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2020, 02:44:36 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:27:32 am »
After drilling my cp.  I just clamped my plexy to the top and used the laminate bit for the outside edges.  Then a drilled small holes in the plexy and then used the laminate bit to finnish the hole.  It did a great job for me.

Lecithin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2012, 10:15:48 am
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:41:25 pm »
A plexi scoring tool and a metal straight edge is the cheapest method.   Has a sharp hooked tip and you use it like a glass cutter.  Score and the plexi will part along the scores when put over a table edge.   Multiple scores are recommended and be sure to make the scores straight.

bingo, doesn't get any cheaper

ViciousXUSMC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 02:06:45 am »
Cool, I may go get the stuff today.  I have it all planned out on how I can easily cut a whole sheet into the shape and dimensions I need with this method.  I decided to reduce the chance of breaking for drilling the hinges and stuff I am just gonna hot glue them on :P and I am debating right now if I want to cut away part of the back of the box to stick the dreamcast VMU's in or just have them internal so that you open the box to get to them.

I think to do the delicate cut away shape needed for the VMU slots I would need some kind of hand file(s) maybe a rounded one for the fine work and a flat one for the rough work and just my dremel for the main shape.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 02:17:59 am »
The easiest method for a non DIY approach would be to get it cut by a plastics supplier. The couple of companies (UK) I use cut plastics to size free of charge and you know they will be square.

For a DIY approach I would use the score method to get a few mm close to your desired line. I would then clamp a straight edge or stick some aluminium angle section to the final line and then trim it with your laminate trimmer.

If you can cut wood squarely then you could make a MDF etc template and then template route that with your laminate trimmer.

[Edit:] VMU Slots:

As you said your dremel will be best for removing the bulk of the material. Just be careful when filling the acrylic as it is quite brittle, especially when its thin material. You want to use a fine file (nothing rougher than a second file, max) and make sure that the material is held/clamped as close as possible to the area where you are removing material. It may be worth practising cutting out one of the VMU slots on a scrap/spare piece of acrylic before cutting one in one of your good pieces.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:38:48 am by Franco B »

Jest

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2009, 07:36:14 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:43 pm »
I didn't want to post a new thread since this was right on the first page.  Anyone have tips for cutting out the holes?  I've tried using a spade bit on a power drill but that didn't work.  I tried going slow, then fast, through the plexi attached to some hardboard.  I'm using Plaskolite Duraplex 'high impact acrylic' if it matters.  Any idea?

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 11:02:00 pm »
Find someone you know who has a forstner bit. They really do cut through plexi smoothly without melting the edges & causing all sorts of problems. If you can't borrow one, you should be able to get the bit for about $10-15.

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 09:05:08 am »
Im assuming if I want to cut right angle pieces of plexi that the most normal tool for the job is a jig saw.  However I just need to cut 1 piece to construct a project box to house my hacked gamepads.  I really hate to invest in a expensive tool and right now im broke.

So looking for other options or opinions. 

Jigsaw is bad for 2 reasons, IMO... First, its very difficult to get a straight cut. Even if you put the jigsaw's base up against a straight edge, the blade flexes. When I had to use one, I cut outside my line and sanded the edge down with a random orbital sander.  The second thing is that if you're actually using plexi/acrylic, the vibration from the saw can make small cracks along the edge you're cutting. Polycarbonate is more forgiving in this respect, but softer and more prone to scratches.

I use a router now, but scoring with a straight edge would be my second choice.