Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RESOLVED: TFTC drama  (Read 2291 times)

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
RESOLVED: TFTC drama
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:44 pm »
WARNING: If you do not know how to semi troubleshoot a pinball machine do not read this, it will make you afraid to buy one.

So my VUK kicker cap just flew out of the machine, not kidding it went through the wire forms. Anyway..........I flip the machine up to get a good look at what to order & when putting the playfield back it slipped onto the isolation transformer. Not much of a drop but it was a jolt (jolt as in drop not juice).

So things are all put back & I restart the machine only to see "pinball missing" but of course all 6 are there.

I test the trough microswitches like any good boy would & #1 thru #5 work fine, #6 however is dead (this is the 2nd device in the row). So now its time to break out the trusty switch matrix chart..........seems now everything in row 6 is dead, (those sharing the WHT-BLU wires) including the one switch before trough #6.

So I unplug & plug in the clips near the first device in the row & now item one on the row works........item 2 is the 6th trough switch & no dice with it or anything past it in the column........

Of course one of the items in the row (3 after the trough #6 mind you) would be that damn VUK that blew apart. However that does not seem related because I test everything in the column (GRN-RED wires) and everything works before & after the troublesome 6th trough switch.

Upon closer inspection I see all the GRN-RED's in the column have clear sleeves @ where they are tied down to the microswitches..................Except that damn trough 6......its blackened!!!!!

Now I dunno if it was clear before & I didnt think there was juice going there but it almost seems like a micro switch turned the plastic black & now the damn switch does not work.

Did anyone get this?

Does anyone have ideas?

Man I hope its just a simple "replace the microswitch".

Death by unga bunga!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:00:37 pm by pinballwizard79 »
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
Re: TFTC drama
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:02:09 pm »
The wire was still attached.

I manipulated the other trough switches....ok I shorted them out with a small screwdriver.

When shorting the left prong of the microswitch to the center prong of the microswitch I would get a response during switch test on all but switch 6 so that leads me to think perhaps its deeper than the switch since a manual short didnt close it.

Perhaps I need a new diode?

The manual makes no mention in the schematics that I can see regarding the preferred diode, after some research @ pin repair Marvin I see most DE games used D26-D33 diodes 1N4004......I search for that part & read "Type 1N4007. Also replaces 1N4001, 1N4003, 1N4004, and 1N4005" @ Action Pinball's website.

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- man I wonder wtf this is?

damn

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
Re: RESOLVED: TFTC drama
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:56 pm »
I am going to have to get new towels for the basement bathroom, perhaps elegant hand towels monogrammed with the initials

BMF'r

Its was indeed a switch or diode, I cut the prongs off the switch (and the diode too) & then took the remaining red/grn pair & placed it on trough #5 & then did likewise with the wht/blu wire & then BAM all the other switches worked as long as I held it there.

& all without starting a fire!

JeepMonkey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:17 am »
A little off topic, but how do you like your TFTC?  I see them for sale a fair bit, but I have not played the game.  They usually sell for (or at least ask) $1400-$1800.
Pins:  Theatre Of Magic, JP The Lost World, Revenge From Mars

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:46 am »
WARNING: If you do not know how to semi troubleshoot a pinball machine do not read this, it will make you afraid to buy one.

So my VUK kicker cap just flew out of the machine, not kidding it went through the wire forms. Anyway..........I flip the machine up to get a good look at what to order & when putting the playfield back it slipped onto the isolation transformer. Not much of a drop but it was a jolt (jolt as in drop not juice).

So things are all put back & I restart the machine only to see "pinball missing" but of course all 6 are there.

I test the trough microswitches like any good boy would & #1 thru #5 work fine, #6 however is dead (this is the 2nd device in the row). So now its time to break out the trusty switch matrix chart..........seems now everything in row 6 is dead, (those sharing the WHT-BLU wires) including the one switch before trough #6.

So I unplug & plug in the clips near the first device in the row & now item one on the row works........item 2 is the 6th trough switch & no dice with it or anything past it in the column........

Of course one of the items in the row (3 after the trough #6 mind you) would be that damn VUK that blew apart. However that does not seem related because I test everything in the column (GRN-RED wires) and everything works before & after the troublesome 6th trough switch.

Upon closer inspection I see all the GRN-RED's in the column have clear sleeves @ where they are tied down to the microswitches..................Except that damn trough 6......its blackened!!!!!

Now I dunno if it was clear before & I didnt think there was juice going there but it almost seems like a micro switch turned the plastic black & now the damn switch does not work.

Did anyone get this?

Does anyone have ideas?

Man I hope its just a simple "replace the microswitch".

Death by unga bunga!

Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!  I still desperatly need a pinball(s) but clearly I have much to learn in the ways of the force.   :dizzy:

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:11:35 pm »
@ Jeep: Heck yeah man TFTC is awesome! Ive played a few though & have to admit not all played the same. Its weird because I saw this dirty one that I doubt has ever been well maintained & it was CRAZY fast, like almost breaking playfield parts. Then Ive played a shopped one that was VERY sluggish. Mine is right in the middle, thats good & bad I guess.

How the hell do they make em so fast? Maybe the unwind the coils?

PBJ or Ken do you have any insight on that?

@ Flake: Yeah dude these things break & usually its a part you can obviously see (ie a drop target or etc) & then sometimes its hidden (like a wire under the playfield came loose.....get ready to solder) & then sometimes it just doesnt make any sense at all & just sucks the life right out of you ruining several nights at home after work that would be better spent arguing with the woman about where the next machine goes.

Its not fully resolved until I solder the new switch & diode so fingers crossed!

:banghead: