Main > Monitor/Video Forum

Television Question

<< < (2/8) > >>

DaOld Man:
I have not tried to discharge a monitor before, but I am in no way an expert and dont pretend to be.
But I am an electrician, and it just seems to me that discharging the CRT directly to ground cant be good for the components.
Maybe the short is so quick that nothing is stressed, like capacitors or resistors.

Is there any component stress by shorting directly to ground? Is it possible to damage the parts?

Level42:
The only thing you'd stress is the CRT itself because that's the "capacitor" you are discharging.

Now I know it's good for electrolytic caps to short them, especially the bigger one's, but I don't think we can see a CRT as an electrolytic cab.

However, I'd suggest to go with the resistor/HV probe method to be safe.

Kevin77:
Make to attempt to skip high impulsive tension through a tube.

Chandra:

--- Quote from: phantompower on February 25, 2009, 01:56:53 pm ---
--- Quote ---How to discharge a monitor:

See here for pictures and directions: http://www.arcadegames.net/sightsound/discharge.ppt

As this gentlemen points out, it isn't so bad if you pay attention!!!  DO NOT connect your alligator clip to anything other than the chassis of your monitor and the end of your screwdriver.  The ground in your outlet has absolutely nothing to do with your monitor do not ground the anode to anything other than the chassis of the monitor.

Just to hi-lite some points:
1. unplug the monitor from the power source
2. use a long handled screwdriver with a well insulated handle
3. keep the screwdriver side of the alligator clip as close to the end of the screwdriver (away from you)
4. keep one hand in your pocket
5. take off watches or rings and conductive things
6.be mindful of the chassis padawan--if you are touching it you could become the primary circuit path--NOT GOOD
7.  its always a good idea to pause a minute and discharge another time and another before removing the sucker cup (anode cap).

I left this vague so that you will go to the site and read how its done in its entirety.

Now that you have discharged the monitor, desolder the caps and replace with new ones that you ordered from Bob Roberts or elsewhere.  BE VERY OBSERVANT AS TO THE - AND + MARKINGS OF THE CAPS!!  If you get one backwards--poof!  it could also take other components with it.
--- End quote ---

I am getting ready to start my third cabinet and I am interested in using a television, but I need to remove it from the case so it fits my cab properly.  I have read quite a bit about properly discharging a television, but I am missing something fundamental...and have a question.

If I am not servicing my monitor and want to remove the casing from my television, is discharging necessary?  I was reading Martjin's thread about his cabinet and saw that he discharged his after he removed it from the case for mounting - I am just sure why the discharging is necessary - and [follow up question] after you discharge it, are you OK to leave the anode off the back and still operate the TV?

Thanks for helping to clarify this for me.

--- End quote ---

Chandra:
Can any one tell me is there any way to find the electrods of CRT tube, the heaters can be detect with multimeter, but other greed and cathodes. is there a web site with all these DATA of CRT Tubes. Thanks in Advance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version