Main > Monitor/Video Forum

Television Question

<< < (3/8) > >>

venkman:

--- Quote from: phantompower on February 25, 2009, 01:56:53 pm ---
If I am not servicing my monitor and want to remove the casing from my television, is discharging necessary? 

--- End quote ---

did anyone answer this question?

if, for example, i just want to take the plastic off so it fits in the cab.. would i NEED to discharge it?

i'd really rather not jam a screwdriver into the back of a monitor if i can avoid it!

Nipedley:
The only time you NEED to discharge a tube is if you are removing the chassis from the tube (the circuit boards) otherwise no its not necessary. However if you are doing a lot of poking around with a screwdriver, you might want to anyway for safetys sake as it's a fairly big jolt. For just removing the case, I can't see that it would be a problem.

venkman:
 ;D ;D thanks!

mvsfan:

--- Quote from: qrz on March 07, 2009, 09:12:16 am ---if the crt has a substantial charge and using a screwdriver . be prepared for a loud SNAP.
many sets will bleed off the HV slowly, but still good to discharge a crt before handling.
no nasty surprises that way ;)

i use the HV probe to discharge . use it anyway to read HV and it will discharge at a controlled rate,
rather than an abrupt short as with the screwdriver.

if u REALLY want to operate the set with the anode free .....(rarely needed in troubleshooting)

IT MUST BE TERMINATED WITH A WELL INSULATED LOAD (HV probe again works nicely) AND LOAD
SECURELY CONNECTED TO CIRCUIT GROUND.

crt anode voltages are typically 25 - 30 kv
lower on the small sets , a bit higher on the big crts . anything above 32kv tends to generate X-ray radiation.
hence the presence of "HV shutdown/ Xray prot " circuits

so thats why my monitor warns about Xray Radiation.

ive never thought about it really ive been working ar

qrz

--- End quote ---

Oh since someone mentioned getting the caps backwards heres a little info. If you ever see someone somewhere with a dead battery on their car who needs a jump, dont let them hook up the cables themselves even if they want to help.

i did this once and the guy on the other side crossed them over.

and poof their went both of our ECMS and my Instrument cluster.

250 bucks later, doing it myself, and a lot of junkyard crawling and my truck was running again.

richms:

--- Quote from: mvsfan on July 13, 2009, 08:18:04 pm ---
Oh since someone mentioned getting the caps backwards heres a little info. If you ever see someone somewhere with a dead battery on their car who needs a jump, dont let them hook up the cables themselves even if they want to help.

i did this once and the guy on the other side crossed them over.

and poof their went both of our ECMS and my Instrument cluster.

250 bucks later, doing it myself, and a lot of junkyard crawling and my truck was running again.

--- End quote ---

Thought I would chuck this in here too - dont disconnect the leads with the donor car running, if you do then the load shed of the dead battery in the other car will cause another spike in the donor car. Really you dont want the donor car running at all when you crank the dead car for the same reason. A BMW manual said to turn the lights and heater motor and everything else in the donor car on when jumping but when I tried that on my car I ended up with 2 blown headlight bulbs and my amp going into protect mode till I pulled its fuse out and reinserted it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version