Main > Monitor/Video Forum

Television Question

(1/8) > >>

phantompower:

--- Quote ---How to discharge a monitor:

See here for pictures and directions: http://www.arcadegames.net/sightsound/discharge.ppt

As this gentlemen points out, it isn't so bad if you pay attention!!!  DO NOT connect your alligator clip to anything other than the chassis of your monitor and the end of your screwdriver.  The ground in your outlet has absolutely nothing to do with your monitor do not ground the anode to anything other than the chassis of the monitor.

Just to hi-lite some points:
1. unplug the monitor from the power source
2. use a long handled screwdriver with a well insulated handle
3. keep the screwdriver side of the alligator clip as close to the end of the screwdriver (away from you)
4. keep one hand in your pocket
5. take off watches or rings and conductive things
6.be mindful of the chassis padawan--if you are touching it you could become the primary circuit path--NOT GOOD
7.  its always a good idea to pause a minute and discharge another time and another before removing the sucker cup (anode cap).

I left this vague so that you will go to the site and read how its done in its entirety.

Now that you have discharged the monitor, desolder the caps and replace with new ones that you ordered from Bob Roberts or elsewhere.  BE VERY OBSERVANT AS TO THE - AND + MARKINGS OF THE CAPS!!  If you get one backwards--poof!  it could also take other components with it.
--- End quote ---

I am getting ready to start my third cabinet and I am interested in using a television, but I need to remove it from the case so it fits my cab properly.  I have read quite a bit about properly discharging a television, but I am missing something fundamental...and have a question.

If I am not servicing my monitor and want to remove the casing from my television, is discharging necessary?  I was reading Martjin's thread about his cabinet and saw that he discharged his after he removed it from the case for mounting - I am just sure why the discharging is necessary - and [follow up question] after you discharge it, are you OK to leave the anode off the back and still operate the TV?

Thanks for helping to clarify this for me.

SirPeale:

--- Quote from: phantompower on February 25, 2009, 01:56:53 pm ---and [follow up question] after you discharge it, are you OK to leave the anode off the back and still operate the TV?

--- End quote ---

Only if you want the high voltage to shoot out of the anode and arc to everything around it.  It's 100% necessary.

Ummon:
Why would you leave it off, anyway. It was on there to begin with.

qrz:
if the crt has a substantial charge and using a screwdriver . be prepared for a loud SNAP.
many sets will bleed off the HV slowly, but still good to discharge a crt before handling.
no nasty surprises that way ;)

i use the HV probe to discharge . use it anyway to read HV and it will discharge at a controlled rate,
rather than an abrupt short as with the screwdriver.

if u REALLY want to operate the set with the anode free .....(rarely needed in troubleshooting)

IT MUST BE TERMINATED WITH A WELL INSULATED LOAD (HV probe again works nicely) AND LOAD
SECURELY CONNECTED TO CIRCUIT GROUND.

crt anode voltages are typically 25 - 30 kv
lower on the small sets , a bit higher on the big crts . anything above 32kv tends to generate X-ray radiation.
hence the presence of "HV shutdown/ Xray prot " circuits

qrz

Scucci:
Here's a good tip for you... ALWAYS double check to make sure your grounding tool is getting good contact to the chassis. I have a setup that I've been using for a long time and didn't check to make sure it was getting a solid connection to ground.

So, I touched it to the contacts under the cap... and it picked me as a better ground. Normally my boots insulate me, but I was working on a cabaret and was on my knees... so, I dumped the charge instead of the grounding wire. I was holding pretty far back on the pliers I use, but that sucker can produce a pretty long arc.

I had to hold off on the soldering I was fixing to do because my hands were shaking pretty bad for about 10 mins or so... so, yeah... always make sure you have a good SOLID connection to ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version