Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sorcerer upper playfield flipper help..  (Read 4624 times)

Cyberflexx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 03:40:10 pm
Sorcerer upper playfield flipper help..
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:41:16 pm »
I can get the upper playfield flipper coil to return to home position in my Sorcerer.  I put a new coil in it a couple months ago and it worked fine before I moved it in my room.  I checked the spring, it was fine, I reset the flipper height and a put some lubrication on the shaft to make is slide better in the mounting hole.  I double and triple checked my solder job and everything looks good and I reseated the flipper shaft to make sure it wasnt spinning freely in the gripper thingy ( dont know the term)  The flipper will return to home position after it is nudged by the ball or a slight vibration from the bumpers, but it should go back on its own.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm at a loss..

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Sorcerer upper playfield flipper help..
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:22:27 pm »
Should I be insulted you didn't take my word for it???  ;) ;D

Magnetized coil stop. You've already cleaned/aligned everything, so it pretty much has to be that.
Switch the coil stop out from another flipper or identical coil and test it out.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »

Magnetized coil stop?  I've never seen that be a factor... seems like something that gets repeatedly slammed over and over wouldn't retain much magnetism (go drop a magnet a few times and see how weak it gets - don't you remember 4th grade?).

I could see a mushroomed coil stop that's been hammered into the shape of the plunger.  This has been a factor on several Williams EMs I've owned.  Cheapest repair there is to grind it down a little and flatten it.  If you have to grind it too much, it's going to mess with your flipper action (they'll have less SNAP!).

From pinrepair.com:
When rebuilding the flippers, it's not a bad idea to replace the coil stops. New coil stops will make your flippers quiet when holding the cabinet flipper button in. Also sometimes the old coil stops are magnetized enough to hold the flipper in the up position. You can buy new stops, or just rotate the flipper and backbox Replay unit coil stops. The replay unit gets very little use, so its coil stops should be in excellent condition. Just move these stops to the flippers, and the flipper stops to the replay unit.

I went thru the exact same thing. I cleaned the entire mechanism, thoroughly checked for mushrooming on coil shaft and stop. Replaced the coil stop just as the guide suggested for a magnetized stop, and have a perfectly working flipper. The other side is doing the same thing after some kids went ballistic on it for an evening.

Cyberflexx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 03:40:10 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 02:05:50 am »
Should I be insulted you didn't take my word for it???  ;) ;D

Magnetized coil stop. You've already cleaned/aligned everything, so it pretty much has to be that.
Switch the coil stop out from another flipper or identical coil and test it out.

I think i posted this before I spoke to you on the phone..

I havent had time to tinker with it anymore the past day or so.  Right now its 2am and I am at work re-imaging computers for a new IM chat program rollout next week.  They decided it was best to re-image just to make sure all the computers had .net 3.5 on them and a bunch of other updates.  I agree with them.. plus I am on Overtime.. :)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:54:59 am »
Updating this old thread.

Replace the Plunger & Link assembly # A-10656 ($3.25 at Pinball Life) and Flipper Coil Stop A-10821 ($1.95 at Pinball Life) together as a set. If you have System 7 flipper assemblies (non-replaceable coil stop), I'd completely replace them with brand new System 11 assemblies from Pinball Life. Part numbers C-13174-R (right hand) and C-13174-L (left hand). The newer flipper assemblies have spark suppressing capacitors already installed and have replaceable coil stops (A-10821 is the correct number to use on this game).

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=717
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:09:24 pm by Ken Layton »