Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Announcement: HyperPin Digital Pinball Frontend - Release 0.5.0.0  (Read 23220 times)

Dazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
From the creator of the HyperSpin Arcade Frontend comes...

[youtube]zkVYnnudHdM[/youtube]

BadBoyBill, the creator of HyperSpin is proud to release the first public release of:

We are finally able to bring you the HyperPin Digital Pinball Frontend

HyperPin is a frontend specifically designed for the pinball cabinet builders.  The interface allows you to choose from both Future Pinball and Visual Pinball tables with ease.  See the list of features below.

HyperPin Features:

Dual Monitor Support - HyperPin supports a wide variety of dual monitor setups including vertically mounted monitors, rotated monitors, and rotated windows setups.  HyperPin displays the backglasses on your second monitor perfect for your pinball cabinet.

For both VP and FP fans - If your hardcore about one system you can make this a FP only or VP only frontend easily.  You can hide everything related to the system you dont want to use with one setting.

Pinball Wizard Support - HyperPin provides joystick support and is compatible out of the box with the NANOTECH tm Pinball Wizard Controller.

Clean Launching and Exiting of both Future Pinball and Visuall Pinball.

Flyer Viewer - Built in flyer viewer that you can control with the flipper keys.

Instruction Card viewer - View the rules of the game from the frontend.  Hide the rules anytime to see the playfield then unhide them.  All IC's are vector based for the best possible quality.

Full Genre System - A complete genre system to easily flip in and out of your favorite genres.  View only FP or only VP games, break games down by decade, manufacturers, types of tables.

Favorite Games Support - easily add or remove games from your favorites list.

Start the system from your favorite genre - want HyperPin to start up showing only your favorite games? Or just Future Pinball only, or Visual Pinball only?

Lots of exit options - shutdown via the menu, hide the menu, use the shortcut with actions, exit or shutdown the system by holding the exit key for a time defined by you.

Lots of customizable options - customize everything from the text, colors, skin, and positions of your artwork.

Full documentation - HyperPin includes a very detailed help file in case you get lost.

We provide with the creators permissions lots of VP tables for you to get started with right away via torrent.

Special thanks to:
brycej who did alot of work on IC's and flyers and lots of testing.
Unclewilly who did alot of work on converting tables, taking snapshots and lots of testing.
billpa for doing wheel images, the logo and intro video, HyperPin cab graphics.
Nanotech for providing the Pinball Wizard Controller for testing in HP.
Blindmankind, Bailey, Polygame for providing their high res artwork for original tables.
Chris Leathley for Future Pinball.
All the FP and VP table creators for all the great tables and allowing us to share custom versions of them.

Please join our forum for the latest artwork releases, database additions, and latest news regarding HyperPin.  Thanks.

GET THE INSTALLER HERE:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IY5YNT23
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:02:30 am by Dazz »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Announcement: HyperPin Digital Pinball Frontend
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:00:15 pm »
that is frickin' awesome! Why are you making me want to start another project?!?  :angry:

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:14:58 pm »
I thought it was a function of the emulator in whether the table could be displayed in top-view, and that VP didn't easily support changing this from the perspective set by the author?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 07:25:11 pm »
I thought it was a function of the emulator in whether the table could be displayed in top-view, and that VP didn't easily support changing this from the perspective set by the author?
Honestly, I don't know how it works...  I don't have a setup for it that I can easily use right now.  I've never tried to run either VP or FP in a mode like this.  I do know that the new version of FP has an arcaderender mode will set the perspective like this.  It may not be possible with VP and I think VP development has stopped... :(

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »

Actually VP9 changes all that, it now supports tow-down view by design. You can read about this feature in the attached release notes. For more info visit the VPForums. Incidently it seems David Foley (creator of UltraPin) is somehow involved in the development of VP9 although the release notes it only states it as "edited" by him. Not sure exactly what that means but I'm sure he will drop in and let us know as he seems to myseriously pop up whenever someone mentions is name  ;D

Dazz: This is really exciting because I've been thinking about making a digital LCD pinball table for a while now, and with VP9 and the release of HyperPin there are no more excuses for me not to make one! Thank Bill for us (although it would be nice if he posted this himself) awesome work I'll have to drop in and say hello again sometime :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:37:24 pm by headkaze »

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »

Dazz: This is really exciting because I've been thinking about making a digital LCD pinball table for a while now, and with VP9 and the release of HyperPin there are no more excuses for me not to make one! Thank Bill for us (although it would be nice if he posted this himself) awesome work I'll have to drop in and say hello again sometime :)
I know, I tried to get him to post the announcement here, but after all of the drama that went on when HyperSpin was launched turned him off to this forum... :(  I've just taken it upon myself to be the PR person for HS and posting HS/HP related stuff to get the word out.  Bill is actually really humble when it comes to HS and now HP.  I think Bill's work is definitely quality work and this pin frontend is definitely something that the digital pinball scene really needs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:50:21 pm by Dazz »

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »
Dazz: I've spoken to Bill on a number of occations and he is very much humble about his amazing work I agree. I am also aware of his reasons for avoiding these forums and I did urge him to give them another go. There are plenty of people here including regulars and oldschoolers who love his work and appreciate his presence. I just find it a real bonus to have the authors of these fine applications around on one of my fav boards. Anyway I will drop in and thank him when I get the time, although he's probably becoming less available for casual chats these days as he seem to be a very busy boy!

Anyway I made a post on the Aussie Arcade forums, there are probably quite a few interested people's over there as well!

g00ber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2009, 02:39:39 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:49:15 pm »
Awesome..  Now I just need to find a spare widescreen lcd tv to use!  :banghead:   :applaud:

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:05 am »
Future Pinball have a top view that dosent scroll (F8 few times), which is a still camera top view mode. I guess that camera best work in a vertical setup. Future Pinball also have a very decent dual screen feature.

The only downside is some tables have hardcoded some keys and might need to been changed in the VB script in the editor and it also dosent have support for PinMame, but it was not designed to been support that, hence Future Pinball is a pure simulator.

That hence I also prefer Future Pinball, because it really show and works fine even in a 640x480 arcade monitor, where Visual Pinball required a higher resoulution.

So nice idea to create a FP only frontend  :applaud:.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 02:45:03 am »

What happened to this Dazz?

** HyperPin currently supports only Future Pinball and support for Visual Pinball will be added in a future release. **

Why was that removed? I think Visual Pinball support would be great. Has this got something to do with Foley being involved in VP9?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:06:52 am »

What happened to this Dazz?

** HyperPin currently supports only Future Pinball and support for Visual Pinball will be added in a future release. **

Why was that removed? I think Visual Pinball support would be great. Has this got something to do with Foley being involved in VP9?
No, no, no... It has nothing to do with Mr. Foley.  As a matter of fact he has always shown his support for HyperSpin and now HyperPin.  So, no this has nothing to do with him at all.

I had edited that out because it was my fault for putting it there...  I took Bill's comment out of context when it come to VP support in HyperPin without verifying it with him.  Bill saw this post and corrected me and I just had to correct the post and my misunderstanding.  My apologies and I am sorry for getting hopes up...

Honestly, HyperSpin and HyperPin are all about the quality when it comes to the eyecandy, and Visual Pinball just doesn't have the high quality images that Future Pin does have.  Visual Pinball just does not look good at high resolutions which HyperPin is being designed for.  So, as of right now he only has it planned to support for Future Pinball in HyperPin.

Not to mention, the only thing that VP has going for it is really just rom support.  However, in recent posts on the Future Pinball forums, by Black, it appears that rom support *may* be coming to Future Pinball.

Personally, I love Visual Pinball and would like to see it supported, but I haven't touched it in a long long time on my cabinet...  I don't think I would miss it, especially with the quality tables that people have created for Future Pinball.  DarkQuest, Pink vs Blue, Big Spender, Road Girls, 3 Angels and Dead Hunters are all some AMAZING and fun tables.  Just those tables keep me busy for hours...

On a side note, take this with a grain of salt because I haven't seen how the files are setup in HyperPin yet.  BUT If HyperPin is anything like HyperSpin then there shouldn't be anything holding anyone back if they really wanted to implement Visual Pin into HyperPin on their own.  Practically any emulator can be added into HyperSpin if the person knows AutoHotKey scripting and I would imagine that HyperPin isn't too far off from that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:11:34 am by Dazz »

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 04:34:36 am »
Here I was thinking it was another conspiracy involving Foley  ;D And just for the record I found an interesting interview with him here that explains his involvement with VP. I was a bit concerned HyperPin could be a conflict of interest with UltraPin but it seems this could help sell his new Pinball Wizard controller which means this FE would actually be a blessing to him. If and when I get around to building my own digital pinball machine I will probably buy one myself so there you go, already a potential customer!

I'm sure Bill has designed HP like HS so in that case it should be easy enough to add VP support manually if necessary. If I was to build a digital pinball, whilst I think FP is a superiour engine and all that, it still would be great to be able to play VP with PinMame on a secondary screen.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:16:44 am by headkaze »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:04 am »
For VP: It's true that many tables lack hi-res textures, partly due to a limitation of VP and also partly due to the design choices of some tables BUT anyone who's seen some of JPSalas tables at hi-res will tell you they look great!  I think VP9.x has support for higher textures so something to look forward to in the future.  Naturally, the core of VP is pretty old technology so it won't have light sourcing like FP, but it should still look good enough for fans of the genre.

But one thing at a time anyway, here's to the HyperPin release announcement!

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 09:45:30 am »
I'm sure Bill has designed HP like HS so in that case it should be easy enough to add VP support manually if necessary. If I was to build a digital pinball, whilst I think FP is a superiour engine and all that, it still would be great to be able to play VP with PinMame on a secondary screen.

That is correct. Future Pinball is a lot easier to configure and he was already familiar with it so thats why the demo only shows FP. VP will be added soon. I think he just wanted to get a video up showing what it looks like and then release a beta version in a couple of weeks.

I was going to post that Foley interview...glad you linked it. I am excited to try out VP9!

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 02:19:55 pm »
What is the size (width x height) is the LCD monitor are you using and what type is it as well (manufacturer and model)?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 03:40:36 pm »
What is the size (width x height) is the LCD monitor are you using and what type is it as well (manufacturer and model)?
For the playfield in the video, Bill is using a 40" Samsung 530 LCD at 1080p.  I'm not sure exactly what the monitor for the backglass is, but he mentioned yesterday that he was going to go out and get a different screen for it.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 07:35:37 pm »
I mostly play arcade games, but now and then - and the last two nights - I fire(d) up VP. Ever since someone made VP do top-view the hard way, it's been a serious point of discussion and desire at VPforums. It's nice it's come through....although I don't know if I'll be making a machine for such any time soon, alas.

Wow, VPforums underwent another format change. I like it.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

brian_hoffman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2011, 09:02:20 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:34 pm »
It should be very nice.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:06:32 am by brian_hoffman »

GameTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2016, 01:41:14 pm
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »
That is some kule shitznit!

I have a 42" plasma, that should work.

Nice stuff.. I can see this getting better and better..

:burgerking:
Greetings From The Lord Humongous!

GameTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2016, 01:41:14 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 11:39:40 pm »
So, whats better:

Future Pinball or Visual Pinball??

I think I have all the stuff for Visual Pinball, but never setup before..  are they interchangeable?

Thanks
Greetings From The Lord Humongous!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:23 am »
This is soooooo one of my next projects  ;D

My GF is really stoked about it too! :)

Once again, thanks to Bill etc for all of the hard work  :applaud:  :notworthy:

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 05:19:12 pm »
So, whats better:

Future Pinball or Visual Pinball??

I think I have all the stuff for Visual Pinball, but never setup before..  are they interchangeable?

Thanks

Look at each one more and you'll have the answers to your questions.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 08:01:48 am »
BadBoyBill, the creator of HyperSpin is proud to release the first public release of:

We are finally able to bring you the HyperPin Digital Pinball Frontend

HyperPin is a frontend specifically designed for the pinball cabinet builders.  The interface allows you to choose from both Future Pinball and Visual Pinball tables with ease.  See the list of features below.

HyperPin Features:

Dual Monitor Support - HyperPin supports a wide variety of dual monitor setups including vertically mounted monitors, rotated monitors, and rotated windows setups.  HyperPin displays the backglasses on your second monitor perfect for your pinball cabinet.

For both VP and FP fans - If your hardcore about one system you can make this a FP only or VP only frontend easily.  You can hide everything related to the system you dont want to use with one setting.

Pinball Wizard Support - HyperPin provides joystick support and is compatible out of the box with the NANOTECH tm Pinball Wizard Controller.

Clean Launching and Exiting of both Future Pinball and Visuall Pinball.

Flyer Viewer - Built in flyer viewer that you can control with the flipper keys.

Instruction Card viewer - View the rules of the game from the frontend.  Hide the rules anytime to see the playfield then unhide them.  All IC's are vector based for the best possible quality.

Full Genre System - A complete genre system to easily flip in and out of your favorite genres.  View only FP or only VP games, break games down by decade, manufacturers, types of tables.

Favorite Games Support - easily add or remove games from your favorites list.

Start the system from your favorite genre - want HyperPin to start up showing only your favorite games? Or just Future Pinball only, or Visual Pinball only?

Lots of exit options - shutdown via the menu, hide the menu, use the shortcut with actions, exit or shutdown the system by holding the exit key for a time defined by you.

Lots of customizable options - customize everything from the text, colors, skin, and positions of your artwork.

Full documentation - HyperPin includes a very detailed help file in case you get lost.

We provide with the creators permissions lots of VP tables for you to get started with right away via torrent.

Special thanks to:
brycej who did alot of work on IC's and flyers and lots of testing.
Unclewilly who did alot of work on converting tables, taking snapshots and lots of testing.
billpa for doing wheel images, the logo and intro video, HyperPin cab graphics.
Nanotech for providing the Pinball Wizard Controller for testing in HP.
Blindmankind, Bailey, Polygame for providing their high res artwork for original tables.
Chris Leathley for Future Pinball.
All the FP and VP table creators for all the great tables and allowing us to share custom versions of them.

Please join our forum for the latest artwork releases, database additions, and latest news regarding HyperPin.  Thanks.

GET THE INSTALLER HERE:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IY5YNT23

tspeirs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2020, 07:44:52 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Announcement: HyperPin Digital Pinball Frontend - Release 0.5.0.0
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
Congratulations guys.  :cheers:

Only down side is now I have to spend more money :)

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »
btw, how do you setup future pinball to be top down only?  I tried and got top down a bit... but I still could see the stuff off the side and the floor ect. 

I think it would be cool to be able to do this on even a small monitor (22') with like a 14" secondary...

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:26 pm »
btw, how do you setup future pinball to be top down only?  I tried and got top down a bit... but I still could see the stuff off the side and the floor ect. 

I think it would be cool to be able to do this on even a small monitor (22') with like a 14" secondary...
You need to enable the arcade render mode...  You do this by adding /arcaderender switch to your Future Pinball shortcut.