Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 16JUN10 [99% Complete]**  (Read 33309 times)

Sosetsuken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2014, 02:13:46 pm
  • Da Daaah Da Daaah Da, Da Da Daaah Da
Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 16JUN10 [99% Complete]**
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:43:59 am »

To go to the latest update click HERE [ 16JUN10 ]

Hey Guys,

Been on this forum for a long time and announced a project a little while ago that got scrapped due to time and money.  Over the last few weeks i've been getting together all the plans for my new cab, and sent them to my brother in Brisbane (Australia).  Hes a Cabinet Maker by trade so he very quickly and professionally whipped up all the pieces that we'd need to build it, and this weekend has flown down here (Melbourne) and we've started making it! (Finally)

I actually got rough dimensions from Spot's Wooden Cab here: http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=6932  My brother modified it a bit for the TV and control panel sizes, and the space I had to put it in.

Unfortunately my brother made all the pieces at his workshop is brisbane, so I have no photos of that, just these here :/

He got here last night and had all the pieces wrapped up, but we had a bit to much catching up (alcohol) and decided to start on it today.  So without further stalling i present my Wooden Candy/Astro City cabinet Custom: (Excuse the roughness of the photos, i'm useless with cameras)

More adjustments

Naked from the back, nothing mounted

Standing up, construction of cabinet nearly finished. (Although cats licking itself, framed and all  :laugh2: )

She's a beauty!

As you can see the screen and light box have been recessed on the back to allow for the perspex to slot right in.

My brother making up the speaker/lightbox shelf with dividers so light doesn't come throught the speaker box's.

Shelf Mounted for the TV.

TV In for measuring perspex black borders.

TV In with brace, for testing.

Looking good! (The perspex will have a black border that will cover the tv, and only the screen will show through!)

Control panel on order for machine

Todo List:

• Finish Bogging and filling Gaps
  • Sanding it down
  • Paint with Primer x2 (Light Sand inbetween)
  • Paint with Enamel While x2
  • Install Perspex over screen and light box (no marquee until it arrives)
  • Install & Wire up control Panel
  • Install Computer
  • Wire up Speakers and Light box
  • Re-Install TV
  • Move it upstairs :(

I'm thinking I might install the TV and Computer when it is already upstairs.

I'm using a laptop with VGA Out, to go to SCART on the TV wired as RGB for Arcade goodness :)

Laptop is a 1.7ghz Centrino with 1gb ram, Radeon 9700 Mobility with a custom nLited Windows XP Professional.  Hyperspin FE with Mame and NullDC.

Well thats all for now, more updates tommorow!

Cyas.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:29:21 pm by Sosetsuken »

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
Re: My Cosmos City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:18:35 pm »
is there gonna be a back panel on that bad boy?

Its looking really sweet man. After Im done with my lindberg cab, I'll probably be building one of these as well. I just really dig Japanese style arcade cabs.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:39:36 am »
Hey Gatsu thanks for the compliments :) Yeah it will have a back panel eventually but probably not until a long time after the final thing is finished as it will have a permanent home in my Game room, back to the wall ;)

EDIT: Gatsu, i see with your custom Godhands (very sexy!) you use a wood top panel with Sanwa buttons/Joystick.  How does this work?  I have only seen the Clip in buttons that need a thin metal plate.  I'm interested because the Control panel i've ordered is $300.00!!  And the parts 12x Sanwa/Seibatsu Buttons + 2 Start buttons and 2 JLF's is less than half that price.  I would like to know how you mount your buttons and joytstick in mdf?  Thanks mate.

EDIT 2: Just a general Question to anyone familiar with hacking 360 pads.  Whats the best route to go with this?  I've hacked an official Microsoft Wired pad and it was a *BLEEEEEEEP*.  The DPad's solder pads are so microscopic even a few degrees too much and they rip up.  This cab will have the Laptop and will also house an Xbox 360, so i need to have both controls wired as 360 pads for Windows and the 360.  Any advice is appreciated :)

Now for an Update:

Today was a marathon exercise in sanding.  My brother and I spent all day sanding this sucker and still haven't got it to the priming ready state.  Mostly the little bits that need to be hand sanded.  Heres some pics:

Front looking good, just need to get at the marquee, speaker holes and where the screen connects to the control panel with sanding by hand :'(

Side angled shot of sanding

Upright once again to finish off what we could do with powertools

Perspex screen, now with 20% more black borders! (Also speaker cover material in the center).

Decided to hack up the Logitech 5.1 speakers and mount them properly (They actually pump out a LOT of good quality sound, Sub not shown)

Showing the half finished Light Box Marquee & Speaker shelf, decided to spray the speaker mounts black just incase you could see the wood through the speaker material.

Thats about it for today, Probably priming sometime this week when I have time as i'm back to Uni tommorow  :-\

Thanks Guys.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:22:48 am by Sosetsuken »

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:52:30 am »
sanwa makes a type of button that are like the snap-in ones, but come with a threaded mounting nut that holds it in. You still have to router the wood kind of thin to make room for the nut, but its better than having to machine metal I think.

Though the snap-ins are WAY easier to deal with, replace and whatnot. So I'd stick with those.

for hacking 360 pads. I use the gamestop/madcatz brand 360 controller. It has a common ground and is alot easier to hack. No scraping or anything. The only issue is hacking the triggers. That requires a resistor soldered onto each trigger contact if you want to use those buttons.

wooowman93

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2014, 03:56:02 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:39:32 pm »
What kinda paint is that on the marquee

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:24 am »
Its the Perspex for the screen overlay.  Its matt black, but will be mount with the painted side facing in, to give the front a nice glossy screen finish.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:21:20 pm »
Very tidy work!  I will be doing exactly the same thing with perspex cover for my unit - painted side facing in.  Panels are all nicely joined, look forward to your next progress.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:00:40 pm »
how did you make the bezel? I see random "bevel" or something ???

nice cabinet

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:25:08 pm »
Little more progress,

She's all primed up ready for painting.  I Bought 4lt's of Enamel White Semi Gloss paint for this badboy, i've still gotta sand the primer with 240 before I apply first coat of enamel  :-\

And look what was delivered, and on my birthday too (Apr 6)!  Its a beauty!

I needed a way to be able to connect the control panel to my PC/Xbox 360 and be able to remove it quite easily.  I was going to buy some arcade connecters but after all my reasearching I finally decided to DIY!;

Basically a newstyle Xbox 360 pad, using the TP Connections on the back instead of soldering on the front, SOOOOOO much easier!  I went a bit overboard with hotglue  :laugh2:.  I used a plastic housing I bought about 6 months ago from Dick Smiths, which is perfect for this.  I still have to buy the 2nd 360 pad next friday.  Basically its;

360 Pad -> Male LPT1/25pin ->   into >> Female LPT1/25pin -> Astro City CP.;

I still haven't wired up the 2nd side.  And i had to make a external line for the Credit Button that will eventually be a coin door.

Heres the mapping if anyones interested;

Thanks Guys!  I'll post some more pics when i've done more :D

SNAAKE: What do you mean by Bezel/Bevel?

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
Re: My Cosmos City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City) **Updated**
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:22:35 am »
looking good man. you planning on rounding some of those sharp corners on the CP to make it smoother?

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:30 am »
Thanks Gatsu,

All the corners are fairly smooth it doesn't really look it because of the primer coat making it all matt white.  If the corners were rounded anymore it'd look like a bar of soap  ;)

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 01:37:41 pm »
Ive gotta ask. How much did you pay for that control panel? And where did you order it from?

I need to get a vewlix control panel.

DashRendar

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2015, 05:46:52 pm
  • "Don't get your servos in a twist pal."
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »
Maybe it's the angle, but it looks like in your picture of the TV brace that it's bowing.  Are you planning on reinforcing the brace or putting something else in there to support the weight of the TV?
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 322, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 04:49:36 pm »
Gatsu: The control panel was $280.00 Australian ordered from Highway.net.au (I paid extra because its an Official Astro City replacement control panel).

Dash:  No its not the angle it was bowing, I'm planning on getting a better brace.  The one there is just for testing ;)

Cheers guys, starting to paint today I think :D

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
Re: My Cosmo City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City) **Updated**
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:43:38 am »
Hey guys, i've made a webpage for my project;

http://cosmoscity.comoj.com/

Its fairly simple but will be updated regularly (excuse the crudeness of the page, i'm just starting to learn php/mysql).

Thanks Guys.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
Re: My Cosmos City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City) **Updated 22MAY09**
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 01:41:44 am »
Ok so i've nearly finished the painting on the cabinet (Only one last coat left)! Heres a few Pics;

Lookin Nice!

Controller Plate will cover holes and make everything look purdy!

Control Panel -> Xbox360 USB Pad Adaptor Complete!

Xbox 360 USB Adaptor Box and Astro City Control Panel complete!  (Other wires are for coin buttons hidden underneath control panel lip ;) They will eventually be wired to a coin door )

I did get some bad news, my TV that I was going to use via RGB Scart died on me :(

BUT!!  I was at the markets last saturday and found a Professional RGB Monitor with a SCART Input!!  It looks about 10x better than the TV and Street Fighter IV through RGB looks awesome.

The front (this one in the images isn't mine, mine looks brand new!)

The Back (this one in the images isn't mine, mine looks brand new!)

The news keeps getting better, its larger, thinner and through MAME has 0 centering or Pincushioning errors on the video!!

It supports any 15khz signal I've throw at it through soft15khz (unlike the TV).

And it even handles 640x480i well without too much flicker.
Thats it for now, i'll update when i've done a bit more!

EDIT: I've gone with MameWAH as the FRONTEND.  Its simple, plays Video Previews, looks nice and is not a system hog

Heres my layout;

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:10:28 am by Sosetsuken »

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
Re: My Cosmo City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City) **Updated 22MAY09**
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 09:52:47 am »
feel free to wrap that up and ship it to my place. It'll go nicely with my vewlix cab when its done.  ;D

looking good man.

Can't believe you sprung for the full panel. I priced the vewlix panel and is like $400 or something retarded like that.

I could make my own, but I dont have any metal working tools. lol.

But I decided to use some modified happ parts (which some would consider blasphemous), but happ right now is easier to get....and cheaper. So...you know.

Anyway, thats gonna be a sexy cab. That'll have to be my next project.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
Re: My Cosmo City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City) **Updated 22MAY09**
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 12:13:18 am »
haha will do Gats ;)

Yeah I couldn't believe it either but weighing up my options (I don't have any metal working tools / time) plus I got the governement stimulus package at the time I thought what the hell hehe.

Yeah I was gonna go for Happ parts, i'm still gonna use Happ for the Credit buttons on the underside of the control panel.  i'm watching you vewlix with anticipation ;)

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
Re: My Cosmo City Cab (Wooden Candy/Astro City) **Updated 31MAY09**
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 05:40:35 am »
Ok paintings all done.  I've reattached the front doors, installed the speaker covers, installed the control panel (not screwed in yet) and placed in the marquee plexi! (Still has protective cover on).

Heres some pics;

Side

And now heres how it looks atm;

Heres a rough mockup of how I want it to look;

So not much left to do, just waiting till next pay day to place my mamemarquee's order.  I've still gotta wire up the speakers, sub and control panel.  And mount the TV and thats it!

Cheers :D

bgspot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 12:37:52 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 08:34:48 am »
hot damn, that came out awesome :cheers:

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 01:32:26 pm
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 09:38:54 am »
this cab is going to be very nice...
I like the shape of it and also the cp..

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 01:09:06 pm »
Now you can build me one!! hehe

thats looking killer man. Im gonna have to build one like that for my next project. Won't be for a while though....sunk a lot into this cab and got other things to pay for this year. lol

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 09:38:44 pm »
So you built my dream cabinet eh? :)

This thing is going to be so much nicer than an actual candy cab. 

The monitor will look better, it'll be easier to adjust when necessary, and less dangerous.  You already have the inputs for audio in and out built in, as well inputs for consoles if you need them.

The inside of the cab will be nicer and roomier than a candy.

You speakers will be superior.

Awesome, just awesome.   :applaud:

One thing you might want to look into is if your monitor has a REMOTE output on the back.  I'm not sure, but I think it might be possible to wire to that and allow yourself to have a little panel with monitor adjustments inside your cab so you won't have to move the monitor when you meed to adjust it.

But that would be a very last touch.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:41:06 pm by Jack Burton »

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Finally, its in a nice playable state!  Still need the marquee and sideart/gfx but its doooone! :D

Had a massive day, after laying grass for my mum I decided to get a move along on my cab so I basically spent about 8 hrs straight working to get this thing working.  Slight hiccup was that it didn't fit into my computer room, so i've now swap my bedroom and computer room :/ lol

Anyways heres some videos (Sorry for the crap quality, phone vids) I'll try and get some better photos/vids up soon, Cheers guys!

PC (Mame and brief overview)
[youtube]G1SB9EtapX8[/youtube]

Intermission ( Quick look inside )
[youtube]KDHaTmJf_j4[/youtube]

Xbox 360 (Street Fighter IV) :D
[youtube]jLr4NKWq7Ao[/youtube]

Thanks for watching, gotta get me camera back :/

Cheers, So.

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
very sweet.

my next cab has got to be an astro. lol.  gotta finish my vewlix first though.  ;D

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
Re: Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 13JUN09 - 90%! New HQ Video**
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 11:08:23 am »
Just updated with a new video, better quality to show off the cab ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEr6lX9tqc[/youtube]

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:19:49 am by Sosetsuken »

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
Re: Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 18JUN09 - 90%! New HQ Video**
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 12:45:07 pm »
yeah....I want one now.

looks really slick man. you did a great job on it.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
Completely awesome  :applaud:

Great job!

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 05:20:45 pm »
hi, nice work!
Just wondering if you have any form of bezel between the monitor and the outer frame/bezel?
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 08:56:21 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys :D

Its still only about 90%, still saving up to order the side art/marquee and coin/command list arts from mamemarquees.

Jeef: originally there was going to be a bezel but when my old scart tv died I found a new one that fit the square hole perfectly, the rgb monitor has a black plastic bezel that looks really good.

Gatsu: Keep up the work on the vewlix man that things amazing!  I'm planning to build one of those next ;)

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 09:53:25 am »
Just a word of warning....it can get to be a tough build. Especially the control panel if you're not sure how you wanna make those angled cuts, and getting a tv to fit the plans.

I'd say of course if you love the vewlix and can't afford the real deal...build it. But its not the easiest build. As cool as its turning out, I'll admit that a few times while building that I wished I had of stuck with a simpler Lindbergh design....but then I see the real vewlix and the fire is rekindled.

Finish this cab, take a break for a while and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »
Neat idea....although I think you should've rounded out the CP, overall, and bevel-routed all the edges. Then it wouldn't look so blocky. By the way, that monitor looked to have BNC input, in which case no need to do a scart hack.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:20:57 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 11:35:18 am »
Nah no BNC, those are monitor adjustments.  The cab looks less 'blocky' in real life, it's about the right height too with extra room in the bottom of the control panel for extra things ;)

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:45 pm »
Definitely a sexy cab for sure. I think though after Im done with my build I'll go the lazy route and buy an astro.

after the vewlix....I wanna take a break from wood working until the winter moves in again. Its too damn hot here in the South Carolina to do anything fun outside right now. Which is the only reason my cab isn't done yet. I hate the heat.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:35 pm »
Heyas,

Just replaced the Laptop + X360 with a;

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.00 Ghz (Overclock @ 3.0ghz)
Asus P5K Pro
ATi Radeon 4650 OC 512Mb
4GB DDR2 800 Ram
WD 320GB Sata Hdd

SF4 plays well from my new Frontend, which is the Amazing hyperspin-fe.com.  Seriously BBB, the creator deserves some sort of medal for HyperSpin as it is amazing(Go on, donate like I did. He is a very talented and humble guy!).

Still saving for the Marquee and sideart, but the Hours myself and friends have spent playing this have payed for it tenfold in my eyes.  I've got 2 NES, SNES, N64 (4 pads), SMS, SMD and Saturn USB Pads hooked up as well (Get a quality DC powered USB Hub).  For that mentioned games, nothing can beat people going from 2 player Final Fight Arcade (With people in a queue to play!) to some serious Mario Kart 64 4-player on the N64 emulator with reproduced n64 USB pads!!

I'll post some pics when it changes appearance and also when I can get the whole thing 99% :)

Cheers all!

blackwatchplad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2022, 10:39:50 pm
Re: Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 22AUG09**
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 10:56:50 pm »
all i have to say is.. wow.. what an awesome cab.  It looks so clean, like its not even made from wood.
Seeing this cab being built was actually one of the cabs that inspired me to try and build one. Your cab was defiantly an major inspiration for me.
I cant wait to see it with the side art and marquee on .. it will pull everything together nicely.  I'd also love to see where the usb ports are mounted it looks so slick that i don't see a panel or anything with usb on it.  Great cab, i think you really outdid yourself.

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
Re: Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 22AUG09**
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:37 pm »
Hey guys,

Finally got around to getting my Artwork !  Thanks to Scott from GameonGraphix!

Still need to get the black border around the screen area so i'm saying 99% complete :P

Thanks for all the nice replies :)

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
Re: Wooden Candy/Astro City **Updated 16JUN10 [99% Complete]**
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:53 am »
I know it doesn't matter but I have to ask; If you only used 13 pins on your controller connectors, how come you used a 25 pin serial cable instead of a 15 pin one (like a VGA cable)?

orchidius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2013, 12:44:11 pm
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 11:29:53 am »
Fine looking cabinet you got there!

I was wondering though... How do the N64 pads work? You just plug them into USB and they take over all controls on Project 64 through HS without reconfiguring?

Sosetsuken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 12:08:41 am »
I know it doesn't matter but I have to ask; If you only used 13 pins on your controller connectors, how come you used a 25 pin serial cable instead of a 15 pin one (like a VGA cable)?

Easy, the 25pin only has 2 rows, the 15 pin uses 3 rows.  Soldering is way easier on 1 row rather than having to try and solder pins in that have pins directly on top of them. :)

Fine looking cabinet you got there!

I was wondering though... How do the N64 pads work? You just plug them into USB and they take over all controls on Project 64 through HS without reconfiguring?

Well they are always plugged in, and Project64 is set to use them and not the Xbox 360 pads :)