Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Royal Flush Arcade  (Read 18031 times)

spOOf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2010, 04:36:21 pm
Re: The Royal Flush Arcade
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 08:06:30 am »
The TurboTwist 2 arrived (as well as my SmartStrip and LCD monitor mount).  It took me a bit to get the TT2 working because of stupidity on my part, but now it's smooth sailing!  The TT2 works beautifully.  It was a little smaller on top than I thought it would be.  I got the domed black top.  I knew the bottom had a small footprint, but the top seemed smaller also. 

But after playing a few games with it, I forgot all of that.  Plays perfectly.  Love it!
My project: The Royal Flush

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »
Just made a huge order:
16 buttons (including 1 player & 2 player start)
U-Trak - cueball white with USB hookup
Mini-Pac (standard with wiring harness)
2 UltraStik 360s (black, oval)
2 U360s long handle shafts
2 cup holders

Can't wait for them to arrive!!!

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 05:14:43 pm »
All parts arrived and I'm still sorting through them.  Put 2 layers of primer and sanding on the cab.  Having a hard time finding 5/8 wood.  Please see my question in the woodworking forum about particleboard: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94747.0

Otherwise, things are cruising along...

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »
You do not need 5/8" material for the control panel.  Just use 3/4" and bevel the edge on the bottom (45 degrees) and paint it black.  You will not be able to see or notice the beveled edge once the t-molding is installed.  Knievel was the first person I saw who does this on his CPs and it works great.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »
I noticed this in searching and have it as my backup plan.  But I am horrible at woodworking and own virtually no tools.  I have to borrow the ones I'm using.  So, by going with 3/4, I will have to get an additional bit I assume to do the beveled edge, plus I'll have to route the bottom of the panel for all of my non-button controls.

Was trying to avoid doing lots of extra woodworking when I'm terrible at it.  Thanks for the tip though.  I have seen these as an alternative and they look great.  I may have to bite the bullet on it though.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »
I found 5/8 MDF and will pick it up this week.  If my bits come in the mail, I should be doing lots of wood work this weekend.  If not, I'll find something to do!

The quick design I did in Photoshop for the splash screen:

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 03:36:33 am »
About those tamperproof screws...
Before I found a bit to open SNES cartridges I melted the tip of a plastic pen and while it was warm and soft I just pressed it down against the screw and when it cooled I had a perfect imprint and if opened the cartridges nicely.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 09:28:16 am »
About those tamperproof screws...
Before I found a bit to open SNES cartridges I melted the tip of a plastic pen and while it was warm and soft I just pressed it down against the screw and when it cooled I had a perfect imprint and if opened the cartridges nicely.

Cool idea!  Not sure if that would've worked for me or not.  2 of mine were extremely tight and in an awkward spot.  It took me awhile to get them to turn.

Thanks for the tip.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »
This is the layout I'm thinking of using:

The top layer, in order, is plyr 1 start, plyr 1 coin, spinner ........... pause, plyr 2 start, plyr 2 coin, exit

Things look off for some reason in the spacing for the joys/buttons/trackball.  I can't figure out why.  I've gone over the math several times.  Maybe it's just an optical illusion or something.  Here's what I did:

The panel is 38.5"w x 15"h.  The bottom of the trackball and the bottom of the lowest button for each player is exactly 6 inches from the bottom of the panel edge (for hand/arm support, as well as allowing steering wheel clamp on).  The center of the player 1 joy is 4.5" from left edge.  The last player 2 button is 4.5" from right edge.  From joy to button on both players equals 6.75".  So, from edge to last plyr 1 button is 11.25.  And from edge to player 2 joy is 11.25.  That means it's 8 inches from the middle of last plyr 1 button to center of trackball and 8 inches from middle of plyr 2 joy to center of trackball.

Everything should be perfectly aligned and centered.  But it looks off, doesn't it?  I think it's just because the joystick throws it off.

Thoughts?

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 11:47:39 pm »
Look at the attached version for a better idea of what I mean.  Maybe it's just the extra lines around the joy that makes it looks smaller?

Anyway, what do you guys think of this layout?

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 01:16:26 am »
What do you plan to use as the "fire" button when you're playing games with the spinner?  The ergonomics of trying to use the P1 buttons might be a little weird.  I followed the lead of many others on this site and actually put two buttons next to my spinner.  At the very least, you should do a mock up and see what it feels like.

Looks like you're off to a good start...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:20:59 am by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 01:20:25 am »
It looked like several people just used the player 1 buttons for firing.  But your're right, I should try this out and see.  I certainly have room for it.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 11:47:08 am »
I've made some decent progress.  Panel cut out and I rounded the front corners.  I actually used a belt sander for this and it worked great.  All of my plexi pieces are now cut.  Speaker panel cut.  And I got part of the bezel done.  Also mounted the monitor.  Things are going well.

I have a question about how to cut the trackball hole (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=95165.msg1001365).  Any suggestions?

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2009, 02:59:44 pm »
3 1/4" hole saw works great for the utrak
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2009, 04:22:18 pm »
What do you plan to use as the "fire" button when you're playing games with the spinner?  The ergonomics of trying to use the P1 buttons might be a little weird.  I followed the lead of many others on this site and actually put two buttons next to my spinner.  At the very least, you should do a mock up and see what it feels like.

Looks like you're off to a good start...

I did a mockup and playing the player 1 fire button felt fine.  So I drilled my button holes as is in my layout example.  Still need to do the trackball hole (thanks severdhed for the info).  And, I still need to do all holes in my plexi.  I did a couple practice holes in a scrap piece of plexi and it didn't go great using my fostner bit.  I'm thinking I'll go with your method of drilling a small hole and using the flush trim router bit to shave the rest off.

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2009, 04:23:07 pm »
Also, looking to vectorize the cards part of my image.  I have a post in the artwork forum about that.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:36 pm »
Glad to hear things are moving along.  Hope you're photographing your progress...  picture's worth a thousand words.  ;)
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2009, 02:35:34 pm »
My 6-year-old is my official photographer  ;)  She's been helping me with little things, but this job got her away from the power tools and painting but she still gets to be involved.  I just need to post the pics online!

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »
Any updates spOOf?  Pics??  You've left us hanging for over two months now.  ;)

spOOf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 10:58:02 am »
Any updates spOOf?  Pics??  You've left us hanging for over two months now.  ;)

Ugh!  Right you are!  Sorry, yes, I've definitely been making progress.  The entire cab is now painted.  All t-molding is in, save the control panel.  Wood work is 99% complete.  All plexi cut.  I had a tough time cutting out my bezel and I luckily stumbled on the idea of painting the plexi.  I did that and it turned out awesome (much better than I could ever cut it).  Speakers are mounted.  Monitor mounted.  Things that I'm currently working on/still need to do.

Artwork (I did sketch up work on this already and have an artist friend doing it in Illustrator as I type this): design & print
Computer setup (I wiped my old laptop, now I have to set everything up)
Control panel wiring
Attach speaker grill
Attach cupholders
Attach 2 bezel trim pieces
Attach marquee
Attach sideart
Attach and cut CPO
Secure internal components (computer, subwoofer, etc.)
Get photos online!!!

Thanks for checking in, and I promise to get those photos up next week (heading to bachelor party this weekend!)  :cheers:

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 03:36:25 pm »
Did you die at the bachelor party? is it done?!? Wheres the pics????

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:53 pm »
Yeah I'd like to see this too!  30 bucks was a sweet deal btw!