Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have a Galaxian cocktail (and pcb) that was made by Sega.. Any explainations?  (Read 12505 times)

phreak97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2022, 08:45:06 pm
Hi all, this is my first post, I hope i got it in the right section:P (sorry if i didnt)
Basically I bought a galaxian cocktail which is sega branded. theres a sega id plate, sega on the monitor shield, and sega etched onto both pcbs (main pcb and daughter board).
I've been discussing with Aussie Arcade what the history of this cab could be and somebody referred me to here.
The pcb came with namco (set 2 iirc) character roms and galaxian part 4 game roms. There are no modifications to the pcb at all except my own replacement ICs (it isnt a converted frogger or moon cresta).
There are very professionally positioned galaxian instruction cards under the glass.

(see "SEGA" under the "EPR-66" writing)

Any ideas on the history of this cab? is it really a sega galaxian?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:05:43 am by phreak97 »

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
I have a Galaxian, and that board looks way different. If you scroll down to the bottom of this site of Galaxian Variants http://www.galaxian.dds.nl/variations.html you will notice that Moon Cresta is described as "a trademark of Sega Enterprises Ltd., Gremlin Corp., and/or Nihon Bussan Corp."  The game "Jump Bug" is listed as "a trademark of Rock-Ola and/or Sega Enterprises Ltd". It's possible that someone converted a Moon Cresta or a Jump Bug to Galaxian way back when, by putting Galaxian Roms in it. These games supposedly runs on very similar hardware to Galaxian.... so it seems to me to be a possibility.

Edit: Sorry didn't see this part of your post. "it isnt a converted frogger or moon cresta" How do you know?

Second edit.  It's not a jump bug "http://www.ggdb.com/Picture.aspx?c=Coin-Op&s=Arcade&vid=1384&p=5169" But it looks just like a Moon Cresta PCB.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:28:05 pm by orion »

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Are there ANY other numbers on the board like #800-3121 or similar ?
(screened on, labeled on, anything)

If those EPR #'s could be traced, that might say where the little ROM board originally came from. (EPR-65, EPR-66, etc)

That era seem to be chock full of mods and hacks, especially for that particular design of hardware. You'll find loads of "similar" boards. I have a bootleg version very similar to that with NO manufacturer or numbers whatsoever on it......ended up being Battle of Atlantis.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

phreak97

• Offline Offline
so far every sega pcb that i've found online that can run galaxian reequires wires to be run, vias to be connected up, or traces to be repaired or cut. this pcb has none of that, it runs galaxian without modification.

the only numbers on the pcb are 96753-P etched on the pcb (see photo), 96754 printed in white on the heat sink next to the edge connector, and stamped 79. 12. 07 (manufacture date i guess) and 0245A on the left side if you hold the edge connector towards you. thats all the marking.

also it's in the original sega cocktail cab which has a two direction joystick and one fire button, so it has to be a game with that setup natively if it turns out not to be a galaxian pcb.

it's a good idea tracing that daughter board labling, does anyone know of a sega game that lables roms like that?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:52:57 pm by phreak97 »

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
theres a sega id plate, sega on the monitor shield,

Any other kind of identifying marks or numbering or anything on these ?
(model#, serial#, etc)

phreak97

• Offline Offline
the serial number is 26167 on the id plate on the side of the cab and on a bit of paper stapled inside which also says june 23 1980..

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
79. 12. 07 (manufacture date i guess)

and on a bit of paper stapled inside which also says june 23 1980..

Yeah, with such a late date in 1979 on that board I was kinda thinking more along the lines of a game released in 1980 or so.

And I can only assume there is nothing on the back side of the pcb then either?
Any kind of screen burn on the monitor that you can make out?
Does the Galaxian game come up with any kind of manufacturer name?
Does the Galaxian underlay artwork have any trademarks and such on it?

This one will probably be a little tricky to track down as far as the Sega stuff just due to having to sift through bits of documentation ..... if it's documented.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
It wasn't uncommon for the Japanese manufacturer's to "share" games in those years.

I'd be interested to see a close-up of those instruction inserts. :D

phreak97

• Offline Offline
yeah theres nothing on the back of the pcb..
theres screen burn which says high score at the top, theres other lines of writing or something that i cant make out but will try again later with a blacklight, see if it shows better..
I actually havnt got the game going yet, it's still at "bad ram 3" with some 2101's currently on their way from arcadechips.com
theres no trademarks on the score underlays, just GX-1006 in tiny writing in the yellow border, probably a standard part number?.

i'm pretty happy with the responses here so far, i didnt get much more than suggestions of what else it could be (i proved all of them wrong) and people saying it cant be galaxian when i posted on aussie arcade.

i'm still hopeful that ill find out the story behind this cab:)

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
I hve a Galaxian bootleg as well, based on IREM hardware, an M-22 PCB that was most likely originally "UniWars" - see:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=66163.msg668206#msg668206

"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
theres no trademarks on the score underlays, just GX-1006 in tiny writing in the yellow border, probably a standard part number?.

There are "GX" numbers on my bootleg......hand written...... interesting.
I would assume it has to do with "Galaxian".
But those don't look like factory Galaxian stuff unless it was a kit of some sort.
(meaning a factory Galaxian cocktail didn't use those)
Any little numbers you can find like that might help in the long run.

These type of things are interesting to me because it's kinda like a puzzle, but you have to find the pieces first. The documented history during that era is vague. And then when you toss in all the bootleg stuff it gets very confusing sometimes.
Still fun to research though.

Another thing that caught my attention was the PROM near that bank of ROMs.
Has PR50 on it, may also be something to look into.

That control panel overlay looks kinda generic also..... not much graphics on it at all.
Does it look like it's been changed at all looking from the inside or underside?

Where are you located ? (you mentioned Aussie)
Country of origin sometimes narrows things down a bit as well.

Check out this flyer: http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=3923&image=2
Looks very similar to your cocktail layout.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:53:01 pm by Kevin Mullins »

phreak97

• Offline Offline
I like a challenge like this too, which is why i bought this cabinet, it was something nobody knew anything about.

i cant make out the labling on the PR50 IC, so i dont really know how to dump it.. i didnt even realise it was a prom till you said it.

the control panels are original, they havnt been changed. however there are japanese control panels under the aluminium english overlays (i guess theres meant to be an english overlay over the start button panel aswel). the japanese ones are even more generic however, just yellow text on a black panel, and the aluminium is a high quality overlay that looks like it is probably a old as the cabinet.

I'm in australia, but the cab is definately from japan, apparently the rest of the world ran out of cabs while japan had extra or something, so alot of japanese cabs were converted to english and exported. (so i'm told)

that cocktail does look similar, not completely identical, but theres no question that it is a sega cocktail, so it's not suprising that there would be variations. it's probably a generic sega cab design, but i still would like to know what game it left the factory with.

I'll get some high quality shots of the instruction sheets when i get up to taking the glass off. i'm still trying to sort the pcb at this point.

I got the game running today, the 2101 ram came and now the game plays, i still have problems with sound though.. theres a constant white noise tone and background (alien) noise runs all the time from the moment the game is switched on. also fire and dying noises are missing... any suggestions?

the game has the namco logo at the game over screen.. not suprising really, it has namco set 2 character roms.

edit:

did some more fiddling, replaced some more ic's, and now the white noise is gone. also discovered the purple ships were turning red when diving and fixed that by cleaning up the legs of the 27ls00(i think) ram ic's. the fire and explosion noises are still not there, and i've replaced 7T, 7R, and 9L. i'm gonna replace some 555 timers tomorrow which will hopefully fix the background noise being on during game over.
also putting 5v on pin 7 of 9L triggers the explosion noise, but the volume is very low, just as it is for the background noise.. i dont really know where to look for this problem.. any ideas?

I've been using the midway troubleshooting manuals, and so far everything they've said has matched this sega pcb except for A11 and the components around it. i guess it uses a different amp design?  (A11 is an MB3713, as used on many bootleg boards, but i dont believe this is a bootleg for a moment. are there any legit boards that use this amp?)

another edit,
the game works perfectly now, except purple aliens are a bit blurry, i've got new ram coming that might fix that though. the problems were caused by a broken pin on the eeprom we put in to replace the dead V eprom that came in it..

so many hours work and it now works!

still looking for info on the cab history though..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:06:07 am by phreak97 »

phreak97

• Offline Offline
finally fixed the damn thing, all running fine now.
although.. does galaxian usually have really poor collision detection on diving aliens? it shoots straight through them sometimes..

now on to the cabinet..
I'd like to find out what buttons were originally in it.. it's got one atari button and one generic electronics store button.. the original hole for the fire buttons is about 2cm across (~2/3 to 3/4 of an inch i think). any ideas? what buttons around 1980 did sega use that might fit a hole like that?

phreak97

• Offline Offline
I'm still interested in finding out the history behind this cab..
has anyone else ever seen a sega branded galaxian pcb? or another game which has a two direction joystick and one fire button and uses the exact same pcb as galaxian (without modification)?

the roms that it came with were galaxian part 4, except the character roms which are from a namco set.. it's pretty likely the roms were changed in the early 80's (white ceramic eproms with lables that look like theyre printed with a typewriter)
all the date stamped bits I could find are from 1979 and 1980 (the cabinet is dated one of these years but I cant remember which off hand, I'll open it up if it turns out to be relevant)

So I wont be too suprised if it turns out not to have originally been galaxian, but so far I still havent found a possible alternative.

cheers,
James
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:34:56 am by phreak97 »

phreak97

• Offline Offline
somebody suggested space attack.. anyone know what the pcb for that looks like?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
As the owner of a Sega Space Attack, even without looking, I can guarantee you don't have one.

First, it's a BW game that's a clone of Space Invaders.  :)

The upright version is  a monster of a cab.  The cocktail obviously isn't. 

IIRC there are a few different versions of Galaxian.  Some are mentioned here:

http://www.arcades.plus.com/multigame3.htm

And on other pages on that site.

mattyk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2018, 04:25:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I also have this cabinet as a sega galaxian with the sega pcb

where can I get replacement parts for the pcb

phreak97

• Offline Offline
I also have this cabinet as a sega galaxian with the sega pcb

where can I get replacement parts for the pcb

Can you post photos? I’ve only seen one other cocktail the same and the pcb was different.

What parts do you need? Pretty much everything is off the shelf on these.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Sega used the Galaxian hardware for a number of games; Moon Cresta ,Frogger, Jump Bug, Super Cobra, and Turpin.   So this is probably just a licensed version of Galaxian (or a ROM swap) on the same hardware. If you look at the PCB it looks exactly like a Pac-man or Galaxian PCB except with Sega screen printed on it.

phreak97

• Offline Offline
Sega used the Galaxian hardware for a number of games; Moon Cresta ,Frogger, Jump Bug, Super Cobra, and Turpin.   So this is probably just a licensed version of Galaxian (or a ROM swap) on the same hardware. If you look at the PCB it looks exactly like a Pac-man or Galaxian PCB except with Sega screen printed on it.

All of those games require modification to the pcb to run galaxian. I’m sure it’s a licensed galaxian as you say but it’s still unusual. The pcb is the same as a namco/midway board except for the audio amp ic and the branding.