Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help wiring up leaf switch  (Read 829 times)

Marky_1979

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2017, 11:07:07 am
    • Personal Webspace
Help wiring up leaf switch
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »
I know how to wire up a micro switch but iv never used a leaf switch before is it the same principle? if so which one of the 2 contacts is the ground?

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Help wiring up leaf switch
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:23 pm »
I know how to wire up a micro switch but iv never used a leaf switch before is it the same principle? if so which one of the 2 contacts is the ground?

Pick one.  ;D

From looking at the meager selection of leafs I have, it doesn't seem to matter. As long as the insulating tongue is there, ground could be either.

Even if the insulating tongue is gone, I can't really see a situation where that might be a problem.

Based on photos of the underside of control panels, it seems a majority give the shorter tongue ground.  :dunno

Which reminds me, wasn't there someone who was manufacturing new replacement leaf switches?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:20:58 pm by SavannahLion »

Marky_1979

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2017, 11:07:07 am
    • Personal Webspace
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:29 pm »
Cheers buddy 

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:58:00 pm »
A switch is mostly a switch. It connects two contacts. As much as it does not matter how you hook up a microswitch (albeit there are 3-contact models in which case it could be a disconnecting switch too), it does not matter with leafs either.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:30:54 am »
A micro switch doesn't have a GND either. It has a COMMON though.

The pins are: Common, NO (Normally Open), NC (Normally Closed).

In this case, Normally means that the switch is in rest situation (NOT pushed).

The Common pin is connected to the moving part in the switch. So when the button is not pressed, the contact will be made to the NC pin. When the button is pressed, the moving part will switch from the NC pin to the NO pin. That's why you always hook up a microswitch between Common and NO (in the case of arcade pushbuttons).

A leaf switch simply only has a common and a NO and you can choose which is which. Must be one of the most basic concepts in electronics :D