Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there a place to download a Rowe R-88 Service and Repair Manual?  (Read 18913 times)

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
I have looked all over the net for a place to find pdf files of Jukebox manuals and I keep comming up empty.

Of course you can buy them for $35-$45 + shipping and BS from ebay, but you can do that for an asteroids and there are billions of places to download video game manuals.

Any help here? Anybody know a "secret server" (ie: Randy Fromm's) that would contain the service manuals for jukes?

I also need a C33A key for that AMI/ROWE R-88.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:33:47 pm by fredster »
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Is there a place to download a Rowe R-88 Service and Repair Manual?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:54 pm »
The reason you don't find free or pdf files is because all the jukebox manuals are copyrighted (old ones had their copyrights renewed). About 1988, a company called A.M.R. Publishing in Arlington, Washington paid big money for the legal rights to reproduce copyrighted jukebox manuals. They even went so far as to contact relatives/claimants of jukebox companies long out of business (like Capehart and Mills).

The manuals that AMR printed are not some cheap photocopies, they are professional offset printed with all halftone pictures and schematics crystal clear. They are on archival paper (heavy stock), bound in a layflat binding, and covers are hard laminated. Worth every penny IMO. Several years ago, AMR bailed out of the manuals business and sold the rights to Victory Glass Company (www.victoryglass.com). Victory now handles all the AMR jukebox manuals and also sells them through alwaysjukin.com

In many cases, AMR/Victory Glass were allowed access to the original Rowe manual printing plate masters under license to produce these manuals. Recently, Rowe-Ami has licensed ebay manual seller, "nikondave" (Dave Dryden) and Jeff Wager (www.jeffwager.com) to sell photocopied bound manuals. The manuals those two fellows sell are indeed photocopies that were copied from an existing manual. Some original Rowe manuals they used suffered from "bleeding" of the inks and are smeary/fuzzy. Rowe manuals from the R-81 all the way through the Laserstar wall mount CD jukes suffered from this problem. This is not the case with the AMR/Victory manuals since they came directly from the original printing plates.

Victory Glass part numbers below:

# 70-5765 (R-555) Rowe R-88 Field Service/parts manual, 135 pages, $39.95

# 40-3545  Rowe cabinet key, C-33A   $5.00
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:09:10 pm by Ken Layton »

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:48:12 pm »
Nice tip Ken. Thanks.

A lot of stuff we talk about is copyrighted :) 

The cheapest key I found so far was $7.99, so thanks for the tip on

I haven't messed with jukes at all, but I was at a liquidation sale and couldn't pass on this one at $75.  I got two other amps in a box of parts too.  I have about 4 sets locks of older styles with keys in it, but not the one I needed.

After doing some searching I also found all the manuals, and a surprising number of conversion kits to change the 45 record Jukes into CD players and even an Ipod converstion so it can play 1000 tunes.  Very cool.

I'm pretty sure this juke works, but I don't want to drill the lock to load it.  It comes up and starts it's record count, but it can't find any.  All the lights light up and the control starts couting 200-299 continuously.  I think it's searching for all the records. It has a tax sticker on it from 2007, and it's pretty flawless, like most of this vendor's stuff.  So I think I'll splurge and actually buy a key for it so I don't break it.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:58:34 pm »
Keep in mind those "conversion kits" for ipods, hard drives, mp3 players, etc are NOT for commercial use. They are not licensed for commercial use. You can only use those at home.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:22 pm »
I wasn't going to put it into service, but thanks for the advice on the adapters.  I think personally that if people knew about those adapters, the jukes would be more collectable.

I always passed on these things until I got one cheap enough and in good shape.

Just for my information, and I don't know much about these animals, just
How many different manuals does a jukebox have anyway?

I have all these little books I got from an auction.  Then there is the one you mentioned, the "Rowe AMI R-88 R88 Jukebox Service Repair Manual"

What's the difference between that and a "Rowe R-88 Jukebox Service & Parts Manual"

Also, what is a "Rowe R 88 phonograph field service manual & parts cat." ?

Are they all the same thing?

Is there a website that I could go to that has walkthroughs on servicing these things like you might find at Marvin's for Pinball, and some of the videogame sites?

What's the most popular newsgroup for jukebox hobbists?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:34 pm »
Rowe issued anywhere from one to three manuals per jukebox model depending on model.

The R-88 had three manuals:

A small pamphlet sized "quick repair guide" for on location troubleshooting.

The "Rowe R-88 Jukebox Service & Parts Manual" and "Rowe R-88 phonograph Field Service Manual & Parts Catalog" are the same thing just a different way of saying it. This is the main manual (quite thick) divided into chapters: basic specs, accessories list, unpacking a new juke/crating one for shipment, installation & operation (including how to load records, open title strip holder, change light bulbs, connect speakers), servicing and adjustments, machine schematic, amplifier schematic, troubleshooting guide (more detailed, but mostly how to swap out bad modules/assemblies), and finally illustrated parts list/catalog with all Rowe part numbers.

The "Rowe R-88 Shop service manual" is a special manual used for repairing all the modules/circuit boards in the machine. Has detailed schematics of all boards in the Central Control Computer (CCC), amplifier, mechanism control, bill acceptor, power supply, light flashers, video tape player interface, etc. Also has a cross reference guide from Rowe semiconductor house numbers to actual generic industry standard semiconductors/chips. This manual is very expensive and I've heard even Rowe no longer has them. It's in a special printed binder 11" x 17" size because it has over 100 11" x 17" double sided pages (not folded!). These manuals originally cost from $100 to $150 each and are meant for electronic technicians. I'm lucky to have one of these manuals. This manual is NOT reproduced and is very hard to find originals, even on ebay.

Jukebox newsgroups:

alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Jukebox forums:

http://lists.netlojix.com/pipermail/jukebox-list/2009-February/subject.html

http://www.phonoland.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=45d3f41a7a2a44b6deaef5f905c3a1ce

http://www.vendoramusements.com/bbs/nph-YaBB.pl?board=jukebox

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?board=79.0

http://www.startechjournal.com/forum.cfm

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:39:39 pm »
Thanks Ken! You da man! That's enough information to keep me busy for the entire spring!

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:29:27 pm »
I got the manual I was looking for and Ken was kind enough to assist me with some schematics.  I ended up getting another mech control board, and the Triacs were bad in the one I had Ken, both of them.

I got the "new" mech control board for the juke and it worked.  The machine found record 99 and stopped.

It flipped a recored onto the turntable, and then nothing. The motor didn't start.  First thought: The motor must be out.  I don't know if it's the "new" mech control board, so I want to pick some brains.

The machine cancels correctly, the record returns.  The record will eject if I manually move the arm to the eject position.  All of the lights are in proper order.  All the steps in the manual are being done.  It takes all the credits, gives me all the displays, the amp works, etc.

Brings me to only one conclusion: The turntable motor is out.

1) How can I test the wires comming off the mech control board?  What kind of voltage am I looking for?

2) Does the turntable assembly have a lot of issues with the R-88 or similar machines?  This is a "60 Hz" system.  It has one mylar cap, 3mf, 100V.  Are these known to go out?

3) Can I order a new motor individually from someplace?

The part numbers of the R-88 motor assembly is 7-00231-11, the manual says the motor is 3-07920-04 on page, but then on the parts breakdown it says 3-07917-01 for the 60 hz assembly.  I know it is the 60hz assembly because it has a big sticker on it.

Can I just put a voltmeter across the two lines comming out of the mech control board or will it blow up in my face?

ami-man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:13:02 am »
Hi Fredster,

I have never known of a motor going down, it is usually down to connection problems on the plug the cables coming adrift or a problem with the capacitors etc.

More than likely the problem will be down to the replacement mechanism control unit.

The TT motor is a 30 volt 60hz and the supply from the mech control is 28 volts use your meter to check the voltage.

The TT motor signal goes through Q201 (pnp darlington) and Q200 (a triac)

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:00 am »
I appreciate that!

I'll check to see if it's getting voltage before I seek a new one.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:44:38 pm »
Best I got was 5V AC.  Should have been 28 AC right?

I have a box of those Q201's they are TIP 115's.  I don't have the Triac, I think it's an LM340T?

TIP115  I will replace first.

vidkiller13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:44:15 pm
    • The Arcade Boneyard
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 12:47:47 pm »
rowe R88 manual added for download here
http://theboneyardpdflibrary.com/

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:49:20 pm by vidkiller13 »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 12:52:24 pm »
Jukebox Arcade Manuals has the most complete manuals for servicing jukeboxes I have ever seen. They sell hard copy manuals as well as instant download PDF manuals on their website and on ebay.

https://www.jukeboxmanuals.com/

I have bought several jukebox manuals from them and their manuals also include full sized 11 x 17 schematics. Definitely worth the money.