Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Data East Simpsons (pics added)  (Read 3461 times)

RichSorr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2015, 07:27:00 pm
Data East Simpsons (pics added)
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:21:35 pm »
going to check out a teenage mutant ninja turtles machine tomorrow. any opinions on this game? I haven't played one before. But I want a pin thats themed to something I really like.  Asking price is 600, lower than any i've seen other places online
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:33:28 pm by RichSorr »

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
Re: Data East TMNT
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »
All 3 movies were on tv today. made me want it more! Also might go check out a Data East Simpsons...900 bucks....decisions decisions

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:12:20 am »
Where the hell do you live to find a simpsons for $900?  Is it in good shape?

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:06:58 am »
I'm in the philly area, that machine is in jersey. waiting to see pics.

so anyone think 600 for TMNT is worth it, or am I better off spending my money on the simpsons...or both ;)

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
Re: Data East TMNT/ SIMPSONS
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:52:28 pm »
GOT THE SIMPSONS FOR 700.PICKING IT UP THIS WEEK. NEEDS RUBBERS, DROP TARGET STICKERS AND THE DISPLAY ISNT WORKING.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:26:57 pm »
well it makes me better about the pricing since it needs some work but nice pickup.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:36:36 pm »
yeah, going to check out the TMNT now.  the simpsons cab is in better shape than any ofthe ones I've ever seen, im real excited about that one

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:07:58 pm »
TMNT was in TERRIBLE condition. Didn't buy it. Display, GI lights, half the switches didnt work. pop bumpers were falling apart, could barely see the atwork on the pf it was so black. slingshots also didnt work. guy made it very clear that it was 600 firm when we walked in.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:40 pm »
oh well, We'll see how The Simpsons machine turns out this week. though that display is bad as well, but the rest seems to be in real good shape

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:14 am »
Don't forget to post some pix!
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:09:56 pm »
got this today! cabinet is in great shape. top display doesnt work, but i think it can be repairs. playfield has some wear too. will post pics later today

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:33:00 pm »
sorry for the crummy pics. Someone put mylar over the playfield and obviously didn't do a great job, you can see dirt under it in some spots, and there are bubbles over some inserts. also behind the bottom bumper it has started peeling off and looks like there are some posts or something missing.

debating what to do about the mylar, chipped paint on the playfield. Not sure if its worth the trouble removing the mylar, touching up everything and doing the whole clear coating process or not.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
Re: Data East Simpsons (pics added)
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 12:29:36 am »
Take your time on the mylar removal, research it well & never work it in a hurry.

You are fortunate to have simple artwork on the playfield, after some bondo fills you can mix your own shades of color one toothpick drop at a time on a side plate until it matches.

Your assumptions regarding posts is valid, I saw a drywall screw so that's very interesting to say the least.

With some time, elbow grease, touchups & coil/pop bumper rebuilds/parts this thing will polish up & fire off nicely I think.

But thats only if you are OCD like me............perhaps just fixing the display & holes is all thats really necessary.

:cheers: on the pin!

"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:31:05 pm »
thats what I've decided to do. I am going to clear off the playfield and clean everything real nice. This is a game I've always liked, and being 23 I've grown up with The Simpson's. I definately see myself holding on to this machine for a very long time. The chipped artwork doesn't bother me as much as the dirt under the mylar...but apparently this machine has mylar on from the get go? So I don't think removing it is a good idea. The 2 random holes behind the bumper are fairly bothersome to me as well. 

The missing post between the flippers isn't listed in the playfield parts list in the manual. But the rubber ring that goes on it is on the rubbers list. weird. Looks like its just a regular post with a machine screw base. I ordered that post, ring kit, decal kit, leg levelers and leg bolts.  Needs a topper and has 2 broken plastics (small breaks). I think I'll get those down the road. I was hoping to be able to fix the top display, but I think its just dead. has its 5, +100 and -100 going to it. I'm not too familiar with the alpha numeric displays, is there a driver or anything that could cause just 1 display to not work?

shess

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2021, 04:17:28 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 12:46:20 pm »
Congrats on the new machine!  I have the same one, but my side art isn't nearly as nice as yours.  Some previous owner even painted the back box blue!  I bought most of my parts from www.pinballlife.com .  I was also missing that center post and didn't know it was needed until I saw a picture with it installed.  The part I got was the 1-3/8" tall metal post with threaded base and the ring is 7/16" OD mini post rubber.  I also had a bear of a time with the left kicker assembly.  The original part had a metal end that was slightly angled and when it fired, it would catch on the plastic and hardly launch the ball.  I couldn't find an original so I got a generic one with just a nylong tip from www.actionpinball.com, part: 515-5000-02 .  It works great now.  You should be able to download a manual at ipdb.org and use that to hopefully figure out the display problem.

Scott

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 04:09:28 pm »
my left kicker assembly actually has a nylon tip on it. it shoots real hard. shame about your backbox, the condition of the artwork is what really sold me on this particular machine. every simpsons I've seen at a decent price had its cabinet all messed up

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:45 pm »
Nice!

I think I like the old Simpsons better than the new.

Don't look like it will be too bad of a project to fix up either.
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."