Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: good monitor find on craigslist (huntingdon, PA)..  (Read 3031 times)

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
good monitor find on craigslist (huntingdon, PA)..
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:09:10 pm »
hey guys, i was looking through my local craigslist and ran accross this:

http://altoona.craigslist.org/sys/998650912.html

it is agateway destination monitor.   my friend used one of these for his cabinet, and it is absolutely amazing.  i dont know the seller and i havent looked at this particular one closely, but from what i read in his had, it seems to be just like the one my friend has, which  is a 36" crt, 800x600 resplution, with a vga input.    this would be perfect for a showcase cabinet....i just dont have the room for something that big.  when i saw it posted though for $100....i figured if there was anyone local you might be interested.  this thing is just asking to be put in an arcade cabinet.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
Re: good monitor find on craigslist (huntingdon, PA)..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:41:30 pm »
I think these monitors are fixed frequency, so they won't work with game systems or anything that won't send an 800x600 frequency.

But, even if all you did was scale down 720p video and used it watch downloaded movies and tv shows this thing is a pretty good buy.  I have mitsubishi megaview that I do this with and even though it isn't quite as high definition as a real HDTV it's still miles better than an SDTV image. 

For MAME, it would of course be fine with appropriate tuning.  Much better than using Component output on an equivalent sized TV. 

A guy on the old killercab forums used monitor this same size to make a home made Megalo setup. 

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:23 pm »
yeah, it isnt super flexible..but for connecting to a PC for a mame cabinet, it doesnt get much better than this.  my friend's cabinet (more of a control panel and stand for the monitor at the moment) looks awesome.  you need some distance between you and the monitor since it is so large..but it would be great for a showcase style mame cabinet.   if you are one of those purists who have to run every game in its native resolution, then this may not work for your..but we have played hundreds of games on this thing, with mame set to output everything at 800x600, and it looks absolutely fantastic.  it looks way better than a TV. 

when he first got it, we hooked up a dreamcast with a VGA adapter, and it looked awesome.  worked will with the lightgun games as well.   i just wish i had the room for a cabinet that big

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:12 pm »
yeah, it isnt flexible..  if you are one of those purists who have to run every game in its native resolution, then this WOULD NOT work for your..but we have played hundreds of games on this thing, with mame set to output everything at 800x600, and it looks absolutely fantastic.  it looks way better than a TV.

Fixed. And, I anticipate a late model SD TV with component input looking pretty good, because it displays at 15khz (arcade-like brightness), as well as has a sort of scanline effect.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:36 am »
yeah..it is not an arcade monitor....but there are many of us out there who dont mind playing mame on a standard crt pc monitor, or even an LCD monitor. I have a 19" LCD monitor and i have mame set to run everything at 1280x1024, and it looks just fine to me, and everyone else who has ever played it.  for those of you who are like me, this is a good deal on a very large, low res monitor with vga input, so it is easy to interface with any computer.

i just know that my friend has one and it is amazing, and i though someone else may be interested