Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project: Stargate Multi...  (Read 13700 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Project: Stargate Multi...
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
Check out what I picked up last night...

Yes...it's a Stargate cabinet.  It looks like it should work,  but the plug was mangled...so tonight I will drop another plug on and fire it up,  not that it's going to stay an Ataxx...that is for sure.

It looks pretty ugly,  but it's solid.  There is some damage at the bottom (as there always seems to be with these plywood cabs),  but it's not bad...easily fixed with a bit of bondo.  It's been converted to JAMMA.  The plan is to restore the cab itself back to Stargate,  but go with a Multiwilliams CPO and marquee.   I plan on picking up jrok's multiwilliams board for it.

The best part...this cab cost me $30.00 and it was about 3 miles from my house.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Project: Stargate Multi...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:41 pm »
Nice pickup, but I thought you were downsizing to make room for a couch?

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:25:37 pm »
I am... but how can I pass up a $30 cab?

...I still have 4 other cabs for sale though!   :angel:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:10 pm »
I am... but how can I pass up a $30 cab?

Good point!
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:38:13 pm »
...and it WORKS!  I figured it probably would once I replaced the plug. 

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:05:36 am »
Alright...i've made a decision.  After much thought,  I've decided to go with a complete Williams Multigame conversion.  The reasons?  Probably the biggest reason is that I am not too keen on Stargate side art... it's the weakest of the Williams painted on sides.  But when you couple that with other reasons,  like it's already black and covering black with black is much easier... Aside from the cab and coin-door,  there is ZERO Stargate parts to work with... and well,  I actually LIKE the look of this:

I think that I am going to go with pretty much that look.   I may go with a different bezel,  but I really like the red T-Molding,  side art,  etc.   I'm actually considering going with that side art (which is available at local arcade) and having MAMEMARQUEES print it but about 1.5x the size...that's my only gripe really.

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:35:13 am »
before reading the bit about having it printed bigger thats was my only gripe, definitely needs to be bigger.
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:59:37 pm »
Given the lack of Stargate parts, I think you're making a great choice. And +1 on the larger side art for sure.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »
Definitely the route I would have taken. I like the red tmolding. Makes it look different from the rest.
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:51:57 am »
You really don't like Stargate side art? 

I can't wait to restore mine.  Spring can't come fast enough.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
Swiss Cheeze Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 12:51:04 am »
I remove the Ataxx CPO only to find black vinyl underneath... no big deal,  out comes the heat gun and it comes off with little trouble.

Check out what i found under it all...

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: Swiss Cheeze Anyone?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:52:09 am »
Plenty of holes for the multi-Williams controls !  :laugh2:

I'm really not too keen on that multi-Williams art. The marquee and bezel are way too busy IMHO. Putting all the names/characters of all the games in there makes it look overcrowded.

But hey, that's just my taste.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:25:11 am »
I agree with the marquee... a bit busy...

...but here is my custom bezel I made that I am having done:

...not TOO busy.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:12 am »
Well,  I've put a few hours in to bondoing this bad boy up.  I used regular ole' bondo for anything that looks like it would get direct abuse (bottoms, control panel, etc) and Bondo Glazing putty for the small gouges, chips, etc.

Here is how it looked during the process:

Here is how the control panel is coming out... remember the swiss cheese from above?   Here's a shot of how it looks half filled with bondo:

After about 3 separate applications of bondo/glazing putty I was satisfied enough (having to tell myself that it's a freakin' 28 year old machine and will NEVER be 100% perfect) to move on to the next step... primer.  I used Killz Oil Based primer.   I decided to go with 2 coats only as I am going to be painting it back to black anyway.  If I was going to go with Stargate red,  I'd likely have gone with one additional coat.

I completed the 2nd coat around 11PM last night.   I will sand and apply the first coat of black tonight with a 2nd coat likely rolled on tomorrow.  I am using a fine foam roller for this application.  I will be using oil based semi-gloss black obtained from Home Depot.

NEXT:  Paint the cab.  Sand the control panel.  Prime and paint the control panel. 

By the time I am done with those tasks I am hoping my artwork will be here.  I went with artdoctor.com for a few reasons... all of them associated with cost.  This is a budget project and,  unfortunately,  the other avenues I've used in the past were about 40% more expensive and I've heard a few positive things about artdoctor.com...we shall see.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 02:21:25 pm »
Why didn't you remove the lower coin door?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 03:26:06 pm »

I'm guessing big hands and a small area to work with on that lower bolt.  (that is if it is the same as my Robotron on the inside)

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 07:57:19 pm »

I'm guessing big hands and a small area to work with on that lower bolt.  (that is if it is the same as my Robotron on the inside)

You hit it right on the head... 6'4" & 300lbs makes for some pretty big ole' meathooks.

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 08:13:15 pm »
I always hated my skinny girly hands until I started working with electronics, especially arcade cabinets.

Kudos on salvaging that CP. I prolly would have called it a write off and tossed it in the trash.   :applaud:
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:53 pm »
Slow down!  I've got my multi cab playing Robotron and Joust with a temporary control panel.  The temps are still in the 30's at night here in Seattle.  Add both of those together, and I don't want to start stripping my cabinet for restoration yet.  Each progress picture you post makes me want to start work anyway! 

As of now all I'm working on is filling the extra holes in my other 'final' control panel.  I mix up and apply the bondo outside, then bring it in to dry.  As an added bonus the house gets that wonderful curing bondo smell!

Seriously though, nice work on the cab!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
Thanks guys.  The CP isn't 100% necessarily salvaged yet.   Let me drill the holes (once I get the CPO) first.  I am worried there is so much bondo drilling the holes will be nearly impossible without some of the bondo breaking out.  I'm going to take it nice and slow though.

Last night I applied my first coat of black.   I love how black goes on over white.  I really don't 'NEED' another coat,  but I am going to do... if only for my own peace of mind.   As of this morning (8 hours later) the paint is still tacky (it's cold in the garage...about 55-60 degrees I'd estimate...though not nearly as bad as it is outside (26 degrees)).   It says to give it 24 hours between coats....but I think I am going to wait an extra day,  that means that tomorrow is when I'll be applying the final coat.

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 11:30:19 am »
When I buy Kilz primer, I have them tint it with black.  They can only add a little so it turns out gray, but it seems a better starting point than bright white.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 11:45:44 am »
When I buy Kilz primer, I have them tint it with black.  They can only add a little so it turns out gray, but it seems a better starting point than bright white.

When painting black,  it really doesn't make a difference.   The black covers without issue.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:03 am »
Boy, you aren't screwing around with this are you?  Cabinet painted and you've only had it for a little under 3 weeks.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:04:45 pm »
Boy, you aren't screwing around with this are you?  Cabinet painted and you've only had it for a little under 3 weeks.

Yeah... unlike the Pole Position you see behind it which will (eventually) be a Driver MAME...  I've had that cab and parts for it for months now and I've not even cleaned the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- off the monitor yet.  I think it's because I am not too keen on the current state of MAME driver games...dunno.

I've REALLY developed a fondness for Bubbles on MAME.  I play it daily.  I can't wait to play it on this cab.   Of course Robotron rocks too and perhaps I may learn to like Defender/Stargate with the correct button layout.  On MAME they're a mess with the standard 6 button SF layout.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »
I've REALLY developed a fondness for Bubbles on MAME.  I play it daily.  I can't wait to play it on this cab.   Of course Robotron rocks too and perhaps I may learn to like Defender/Stargate with the correct button layout.  On MAME they're a mess with the standard 6 button SF layout.

I've got the AS board in mine and Bubbles is a fun game.  Never played in on MAME before. 

Defender and Stargate are totally different games with the right layout.  Lots of fun.  (I prefer Defender over Stargate)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:59 pm »
+1

I picked up a Bubble boardset with some other Williams stuff back when I bought my Joust. Ended up trading it for a monitor and it went through the local collector network and, I think, ended up being restored by a high school class.

Only when I saw the final result (which I considered buying) did I decide to actually play Bubbles and see what it was like. I play regularly on my temporary MW and hope to do the same with Defender and Stargate once I get my "real" MW set up with a proper CP.

OT: Can you imagine if you had a chance to do stuff like this in high school, for course credit?
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2015, 03:38:16 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 07:59:57 am »
I must say your on a roll! I'll be taking notes so I can do kinda the same with my stargate. I already have the jrok and a new jamma harness. I am not sure if I wanna use that harness because dokert is making repo williams harness over on klov for march. Anyway could you post your parts list? I am kinda lost on what to buy next because my stargate was stripped out.

Nice work!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 01:17:33 pm »
My cab was converted to JAMMA too...

List:

JROK board
JAMMA harness
T-Molding (red)
Kills Primer (oil based)
Black Oil Based Paint
Bondo
Bondo Glazing Putty
Buttons (leaf-switch style...count `em and choose the colors)
Leaf button holders
Artwork (side art - marquee - bezel - CPO)
Clear plexiglass for the bezel

I have brand new monitor to drop in (though the G07 in it works but is burned-in decently)...

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
Down to waiting for the artwork...
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 12:39:17 am »
...which isn't scheduled to be here until Friday.   :'(

Billy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:20 am »
Thanks for the post.

Could you link up the other parts electric wise your going to use?
I have been looking at http://therealbobroberts.net/buildit.html
Is this the way yours will be wired?

This is where I am lost/stuck at. I am not sure if I should use a pc power supply or a switcher. I am not sure what pin/crimp sizes to buy and what molex connectors I should use.

Do I need an Isolation transformer with a new monitor from happ?

Anyway it's the harness install that I am stuck on. This is probably beyond the scope of your post but it sure would help me if you broke you wiring scheme and electric parts list down.

I want to run different cp's on my cab. I really want to make some sort of quick connect for the cp. This way I can switch them out for joust and robotron as well.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:33 am »

I want to run different cp's on my cab. I really want to make some sort of quick connect for the cp. This way I can switch them out for joust and robotron as well.

Why not make a CP that incorporates all those games?  A lot less work. 

I'm not one for cluttered CPs, but with a MW setup it's not cluttered.  Even less so if you don't include Stargate.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:43 am »
Thanks for the post.

Could you link up the other parts electric wise your going to use?
I have been looking at http://therealbobroberts.net/buildit.html
Is this the way yours will be wired?

This is where I am lost/stuck at. I am not sure if I should use a pc power supply or a switcher. I am not sure what pin/crimp sizes to buy and what molex connectors I should use.

Go with the switcher...15a Happ from Bob will work.  As for the connectors,  there are many different types that would be acceptable...it's actually pretty much up to you as to what you have on hand and/or what you want to use.

Do I need an Isolation transformer with a new monitor from happ?

I don't think you do.  Consult your monitors docs to make sure.

Anyway it's the harness install that I am stuck on. This is probably beyond the scope of your post but it sure would help me if you broke you wiring scheme and electric parts list down.

See... I already have the power brick in my Stargate cab I will be using... and it even has the 15a switcher already in it.  I am going to wire up a JAMMA harness and go pretty much.  I may actually remove the ISO as my new monitor is a VisionPro that does not need it.

See Peales post above.

Billy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:12 pm »

Why not make a CP that incorporates all those games?  A lot less work. 

I'm not one for cluttered CPs, but with a MW setup it's not cluttered.  Even less so if you don't include Stargate.

From what I have seen first hand on the multi williams cp. The hyperspace and reverse buttons live in different spots than that the originals. Bummer... for a big fan of Sg or defender.

I already have two stargate cp's what the heck is a couple more. They will fit fine inside of the cab because of how small the jrok is.

So yes there might be a multi in the works but its not high on the list. I was just fishing for the right connector to use for a quick connect set up...  Thought you guys might no which one would be best to use.

Billy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 06:12:10 pm »
Go with the switcher...15a Happ from Bob will work.  As for the connectors,  there are many different types that would be acceptable...it's actually pretty much up to you as to what you have on hand and/or what you want to use.

I already have a switcher. I was just fishing for a better way to do things.

I don't think you do.  Consult your monitors docs to make sure.

Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought a new one from twisted q.

See... I already have the power brick in my Stargate cab I will be using... and it even has the 15a switcher already in it.  I am going to wire up a JAMMA harness and go pretty much.  I may actually remove the ISO as my new monitor is a VisionPro that does not need it.

What the heck is a power brick? Do you have a link?

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
Pissed Off
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
I am pissed off something fierce.  I got my artwork today.  In addition to running off the edge slightly with the side art,  the blacks are washed out and muddy as hell.  I simply can not use ANY of the art that came!   I won't.  It's garbage.

Look at these vibrant blacks!

So I start thinking ...maybe I am being too harsh.  Maybe it's an inkjet thing.  So I compare to a custom marquee MAMEMARQUEES.COM did for me...

Needless to say,  I'm in contact with the printer.  ESPECIALLY in light of the email I sent him before I ordered which read:

I got your email (and voicemail) yesterday.   I am likely going to go
with you,  but I need to put together the bezel I want made.   I can't
find a source for Williams Multigame bezel,  so I figured I'd use a
Robotron one and add some elements from the other games as well.

$142 shipped for the whole shebang is acceptable as long as you back
your product 100%... colors need to be accurate (especially the
blacks),
etc.   I'm a bit anal and inkjet artwork has always
concerned me...I usually go with mamemarquees,  but he's a bit
expensive for this stuff... and the last time I used him he screwed up
a marquee...but he DID fix it and re-send a corrected version.

Jon

Emphasis mine...

His reply was:

Jon,

Sounds good. Just let me know when you are ready to proceed. I do back my products 100% and the colors usually match identically.

Let me know.

We'll see what he has to say... but the bottom line is that even if he sends me perfect replacements this is a HUGE pain in the ass and totally screws up the timeline for my project.  ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!  This kind of crap is EXACTLY why I emailed him in the first place.

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 08:14:48 pm »
Um yeah that sucks... Especially since it's a black decal on black paint...it really shows how muddy the black is.  I'd definitely complain.  Not sure how far Id get complaining if it were me...but your email is pretty direct of your initial concerns.
Happy Gaming!

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 08:20:07 pm »
This is one of the few times where being a slacker (as I seem to be) pays off ...

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 12:15:16 pm »
Who prepared the art? Who printed it?

The thing about printing art at low cost is they take your file and assume you were competent enough to prepare it right. Otherwise, you have to pay extra for a graphic designer to correct your mistakes. (I'm not talking about MameMarquees here, I'm talking about the typical print shop. Scott at MM takes the time usually to analyze the file, but he cuts into his profit something fierce when he has to fiddle with colors for clients).

Anyways, so in print, typically the art needs to be CMYK and in the blacks you don't just set the K to 100%, you also add a bit of C M and Y to the mix. This creates a real dark opaque black.

Here's a great guide on properly preparing media file digital printing, note the section about blacks and colors: http://www.1000card.net/pages/file.asp#8

Now, if your file had the proper black levels, you should be even MORE pissed off now.  ;D
NO MORE!!

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »
That RayB always knows how to piss people off ...  ;)

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »
Who prepared the art? Who printed it?

The thing about printing art at low cost is they take your file and assume you were competent enough to prepare it right. Otherwise, you have to pay extra for a graphic designer to correct your mistakes. (I'm not talking about MameMarquees here, I'm talking about the typical print shop. Scott at MM takes the time usually to analyze the file, but he cuts into his profit something fierce when he has to fiddle with colors for clients).

Anyways, so in print, typically the art needs to be CMYK and in the blacks you don't just set the K to 100%, you also add a bit of C M and Y to the mix. This creates a real dark opaque black.

Here's a great guide on properly preparing media file digital printing, note the section about blacks and colors: http://www.1000card.net/pages/file.asp#8

Now, if your file had the proper black levels, you should be even MORE pissed off now.  ;D

The art files (except the bezel) were his (the printers)... ironic that the bezel (which I made) is the only thing that came out "damn near" right...eh?

Printer emailed this morning...he's willing to reprint whatever I need reprinted.   I took a close hard look at what I have.  The bezel is fine.  I am going to keep it.  It's damn near "right on"... I can't ask for much more.  The CPO is a little worse... but I think I am going to keep it too since it does not stick directly to a black surface so the contrast shouldn't be so stark.  The side art...it's getting reprinted.

I've actually forwarded the website linked above to the guy too...