Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retro-Futuristic Mame cabinet  (Read 264688 times)

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Retro-Futuristic Mame cabinet
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 07:05:56 pm »
I love it! totally breaking away from the fridge with a 5 ft control panel aesthetic! I really hope you think about the art a bit more though. That is such a strange design, it really needs some awesome custom art. I'm thinking wild colors, and cool accent lines. Take your time and don't rush this, you already have an awesome start, and once you get there really concentrate on those finishing touches!

PS is this a "wife friendly" machine? Not to pry, but I always want to know what peoples marital status is when they build their cabs.

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 12:17:53 am »
I love it! totally breaking away from the fridge with a 5 ft control panel aesthetic! I really hope you think about the art a bit more though. That is such a strange design, it really needs some awesome custom art. I'm thinking wild colors, and cool accent lines. Take your time and don't rush this, you already have an awesome start, and once you get there really concentrate on those finishing touches!

PS is this a "wife friendly" machine? Not to pry, but I always want to know what peoples marital status is when they build their cabs.

Thanks!  Fear not - the art on the concept model is for demo puposes only, the actual artwork will match the cab and be fully customised and drawn by myself.  I've gained alot by just being a part of the forum in terms of ideas, motivation, suggestions and what other people are doing. I think though that it is important not to 'overdo' somethings.  The unit was always meant to have a minimalist look - single player etc.  As I start to get into my favourite part, the surface finish, finishing touches will be very important to me.

My wife really didn't get it to start with, but she understands I have to be creative or I'll go nuts.  As it takes shape she is getting interested tho.  So are the kids, my eldest enjoyed helping me test the coin unit (registering credits & bad coin rejection).

Right now I enjoy nothing more than hanging out in the garage, radio on, beer within easy reach and powertools screaming  ;D

Thanks for the encouragement
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:24:34 am by Ond »

mayhem

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • http://cmaccs.com/
    • C-Macc's
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 04:06:27 am »
mate this is just getting better and better ..... and so modest ...

This thing is beautiful wish i was just 1/2 as good at wood work as you mate.

:)

YoGaBaR

• Offline Offline
  • Yeah im in the club
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 08:37:04 am »

Right now I enjoy nothing more than hanging out in the garage, radio on, beer within easy reach and powertools screaming  ;D

Thats the best part right there.   :cheers:   Untill everyone that comes over and oooooohhhhhhss and aaaaaawwwwwwwwssss at your creation.  >:D
Check out my WOODY  Bubble Bobble

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:25 am »

Thats the best part right there.   :cheers:   Untill everyone that comes over and oooooohhhhhhss and aaaaaawwwwwwwwssss at your creation.  >:D

3rd'd :)

Looks great. It looks 100 times better with the corners beveled and it didn't exactly look shabby in the 1st place.  8)

Keep it up, I can tell this will have an awesome finish already.  :cheers:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 05:59:33 pm »
This weekend I mainly worked on surface finishes on the lower shell.  While not much woodwork went
on, the surface finish that I’m describing here with quite a few pics takes time and patience.  I won’t begin
on the upper shell and Screen drive system until I’ve more or less got the lower shell ready to receive paint. 
My next step will be the rear panel of the lower shell.  Still made from plywood, it will also have two access
plates on it made from thin steel and fitted with several large fans to keep plenty of air flowing over the power
supplies, amplifier and motherboard.

So, onto the surface finish technique I’m using.

First a bit of jigsaw and drill work with that 7mm plywood to create the top panel of the lower shell.....

Check to see the first cut-out fits...

Make the remaining cuts, then glue and screw it down (using some timber beading underneath).  Then round off the edges with the sander.

Next I mix up a pre-estimated amount of Plasti-Bond for filling screw holes, gaps and coating surfaces. 
Use deposable gloves for this and apply with a plastic applicator similar to the sort used for mending small holes in plasterboard. 
It sets fairly quickly depending on how much hardener you use.  It has the consistency of butter when mixed. 
When it starts to go lumpy don’t try and push it around anymore or you will have a horrible mess to try and remove. 
You can always mix a fresh batch and add more.  Never put an applicator or mixing stick into the tin – it can ruin it.

Apply using broad strokes; try to aim for an even smooth surface.  And sure, it looks pretty awful when just applied!  ;D

Leave it to dry for about 30 minutes minimum, up to an hour on a cold day.  Then sand back with coarse grade sandpaper using an electrical sander.

When all bumps are gone switch to fine grade sandpaper.   Hand finish with very fine (600 or higher grade), wipe down
all surfaces with a damp rag to remove all dust.

Take automotive spray putty, shake well and lightly coat with several coats, allowing a few minutes between coats. 
In a previous post I said a 400g can costs about $6.00 in fact its more like $12.00.

Allow to dry for about an hour, or at least 30 minutes then hand sand lightly with fine to very fine sandpaper.

The finished surface should be like an automotive panel prior to primer coat, no wood grain, no bumps, nuthin, just smooth! 

Normally a final finish needs some touch up work with Plasti-Bond into small pits, exposed grain etc which shows up
after a coat of spray putty.  Repeat the process until satisfied.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »
Now that is some custome work. Seen some similar projects and approaches, but they're few and far between.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
    • gamestation
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »
looks really good. try not to ruin it with random-ass megaman picture.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 05:12:17 am »
Been ill this week, but I couldn’t be kept from the garage on Saturday.  I’m finishing off the last few structural items in
the lower shell before getting ready to add the rear panel and access hatches.  The coin unit has to deliver coins to a
box which is accessible from the lower rear hatch. 

Why not just put a coin door on the front?  Because I want to keeps the front looking uncluttered with such things. 
I forgot to mention earlier that I’m using a micro switch on the coin unit to detect coins.  A work friend gave me this
unit after he decided he couldn’t use it in his table-top cab.  I wasn’t going to say no – these things retail for about $75 dollars. 
The unit does have a ‘pulse’ output on coin insertion, but with just the Keywiz in my cab I went for a simple mechanical coin detection instead.

One thing I did though, was pull it apart and slightly shorten the spring with a pair of small side cutters. 
This made the switch more sensitive to coins falling past the mechanism without giving false ‘read’ due to switch bounce. 
Very fiddly, I wouldn’t recommend it after a few beers.  LOL.

I built a coin ‘slide’ with enough curve to allow space for mother board and components and then tested over and over
once I’d screwed it into place.  I actually wanted to use some of my sons Hot Wheels track for this, but my wife has chucked it out! 
Well I was pleased with the results of my efforts anyhow.  Putting coins through the unit makes a satisfying sound as
the coin makes its way into the guts of the cab.  Click, clunk sliiiide...rattle..cool LOL.  I had no false or missed coin detection (as yet). 

I’m using a design for a tilt switch for pinball games which will recognise ‘tilt’ shakes of the cp, basically using ball bearings and micro switches.
While not completely my own idea I aim to tweak it until it’s a s simple but effective as possible.  More on that in later posts.
My next step will be the rear panel......here are some pics...

The blue cardboard box is for testing only.  Note the mount holes where the PS was going to go - this will go on the other side of cab now.

Testing for coin detection - LOVE them 5's!  ;D

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:46 am »
Man this is getting so absurd I want to puke...............................................................................Awesome ;D!

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2009, 07:15:47 am »
I like the clean look you're going for, but aren't you afraid that in the area around the coin inserts the paint is going to look bad (scratched) quickly?
This signature is intentionally left blank

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »
I like the clean look you're going for, but aren't you afraid that in the area around the coin inserts the paint is going to look bad (scratched) quickly?

The coin slots you see at the moment will be coverd by a raised panel with lit coin slot - I just didn't want a coin recovery/coin box door below that on the front of the unit.  The final raised final panel should be able to take plenty of coin without scratches to cab.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2009, 01:49:14 pm »
Man this is getting so absurd I want to puke...............................................................................Awesome ;D!

Lol  ;D thanks for comments - your original post with suggestions for final artwork still has me pondering (in a good way)

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:11 pm »

The coin slots you see at the moment will be coverd by a raised panel with lit coin slot - I just didn't want a coin recovery/coin box door below that on the front of the unit.  The final raised final panel should be able to take plenty of coin without scratches to cab.
Lol, sorry. I feel embarassed for even assuming a single detail would be left unaccounted for :-[

Can't wait to see this thing finished in all it's glory.
This signature is intentionally left blank

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 02:00:24 pm »

Lol, sorry. I feel embarassed for even assuming a single detail would be left unaccounted for :-[

Can't wait to see this thing finished in all it's glory.

Heh heh, nooo, questions and suggestions, that's what I joined for  - there's plenty I'm making up as I go along.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:04:09 pm by Ond »

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 05:19:09 pm »

Lol  ;D thanks for comments - your original post with suggestions for final artwork still has me pondering (in a good way)

How about I throw some stuff into the ol' photoshop to show you what my ramblings mean:-)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2009, 05:28:18 pm »

How about I throw some stuff into the ol' photoshop to show you what my ramblings mean:-)

Please do! and thanks - I haven't any firm ideas on the final look, although I will probably make the underlying finish black as in piano gloss black, even that can change.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2009, 06:13:47 am »
I’ve made some small progress this weekend on the pinball plunger mechanism. 
After a trip to Bunning’s I had a bag full of bits and pieces this included:

-   a chrome drawer handle
-   some springs
-   2 x large nylon tap washers
-   a drawer knob (Black)
-   Screws
-   Micro buttons (I already had)

I took the nylon tap washers; cut away the spindle stems and drilled them through; the
result was two nylon bushings in which to mount the plunger shaft.
The Chrome handle short pieces were removed by unscrewing the small grub screws holding
each short piece onto the longer ‘handle’.  One of these short sections was further shortened
with a hacksaw so that I could use it on the plunger shaft to hold springs and rubber ‘bounce’ washer in place.

One nylon bushing was mounted on the reverse side of the CP Panel where the Plunger fits through; the other
was mounted into a small rebate in a piece of plywood.  Once all mounted in place with the 2nd bushing plate
set (slight angle) for maximum smooth travel of the plunger I attached the knob to the end of the shaft which I’d
previously drilled out to accept a screw.  The knob was set in place with Araldite.

The  pinball plunger will be used with two types of switches for pinball games which launch a ball on a simple button
press and for games which launch a ball with varying velocity depending on how long you hold down the switch – or
in this case how far/long you pull out the plunger.

After some testing of the plunger ‘action’ I’m fairly satisfied – it doesn’t smack into the CP on release and feels pretty much
 like the real thing – a bit more toy like maybe.  I still have to add switches to it.

Voila! A MacGyver Pinball Plunger, gotta love making stuff out of things intended for some very different purpose altogether.

mayhem

• Offline Offline
  • http://cmaccs.com/
    • C-Macc's
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2009, 10:27:48 pm »
Hi mate, are you having just 1 switch on each side for flipper or adding a second one for tilting. i recommend a second one for tilting on each side. The fist system i built with on 1 button on each side and then later on i added a second button for the tilting action ... It makes for some good pinball gaming.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 12:08:18 am »
Wow, I want to be your friend.........thats amazing!

Spray putty, holy McGuiver!!!!!!!!!!!!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2009, 12:47:07 am »
Hi mate, are you having just 1 switch on each side for flipper or adding a second one for tilting. i recommend a second one for tilting on each side. The fist system i built with on 1 button on each side and then later on i added a second button for the tilting action ... It makes for some good pinball gaming.

I'm putting only one switch per side for flippers but making a 'tilt' sensor switch for inside the CP.  The unit will be on castors and have some movement so tilt is possible.  I'll test first before really committing to that though, if it sucks I'll add extra switches near flippers as you say - be nice if it worked though  ;D .

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2009, 12:54:10 am »
Wow, I want to be your friend.........thats amazing!

Spray putty, holy McGuiver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh heh thanks, your own black and blue and metal cab is very nice, cheers.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 03:51:36 am »
Man, I have put my project on hold because of the particle board that it has. Time for that spray! Where did you pick that up?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:16 am »
Man, I have put my project on hold because of the particle board that it has. Time for that spray! Where did you pick that up?

If you are in Australia you can get it at 'Auto Barn', if not, most aftermarket auto spares places stock something similar.  Give particle board a few coats allowing to dry properly and sand back lightly in between - till no particles  or pitting visible.  Don't overspray or you'll get paint runs or other forms of yechh.  Final sanding should be with 1200 to 2000 grit sand paper by hand. For super fine finish spray over with automotive primer (undercoat) and then the paint of your choice.

Still gonna do those artwork sugestions in photoshop you mentioned? b :D I am interested ya know  :cheers:

deoblo85

• Offline Offline
  • GAME or DIE
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:05 am »
Holy Holy  :dizzy: were did you come up with an idea like that WoW  :applaud: :notworthy: :applaud: :notworthy: :applaud: :notworthy: if dont mind me asking what do you do for a living does it have anything to do with your skills on the arcade......... man WoW!!!!!!!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 07:10:30 pm »
I'm glad you like it   ;D , I don't mind at all you asking.  Currently I'm a consultant in IT so I work around computers alot and have done for years coming from a systems admin/systems engineering background.  So, other than the PC 'knowhow' my job has little to do with things arcade.  My blog (address is in my signature) has some details about how I came up with the design.  I've been very slack keeping the blog up to date, but will update it soon.

Those Jukeboxes you guys  make are really cool and popular!  This unit will also be a jukebox - i'll have lots to share, and questions to ask! when I get up to that stage.  I'll be using DWJukebox by Chris La Mantia which I think is an excellent application for what it does.  I know Chris gets around this forum so thank you Chris!  ;D .

I like that program because I found it easier to configure and skin to my liking.  The Mamewah "Jukebox" screen will be used with a background featuring a classic 'bubbler' Wurlitzer inspired JB.  The skin is taken from the 3D Model I drew for that but is a high res skin which suits the LCD monitor I'm using better than the standard skins from his site.  The artwork for it is unfinished but here are sneak pics to share.  For anyone who is interested I will share this skin - eventually, including config ini to go with it.  It's bright n loud and I like! 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:36:34 pm by Ond »

ZEN

• Offline Offline
  • go get it....
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »
Excellent idea, proving that you dont just have to have a two armed two legged arcade.
-I have never seen the spray putty, intereting finsh, and I can already think of about 500+ applications I could have used this for in the past, I am running out the door to get some to play with.
-Did you note how you will finish it, I saw you wanted black gloss, compressor and spray tip?  I will be very interested in seeing that one. 
-Bump to you sir, excellent work!
GO BIG RED

brock.sampson

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 09:40:44 pm »
Excellent idea, proving that you dont just have to have a two armed two legged arcade.
-I have never seen the spray putty, intereting finsh, and I can already think of about 500+ applications I could have used this for in the past, I am running out the door to get some to play with.
-Did you note how you will finish it, I saw you wanted black gloss, compressor and spray tip?  I will be very interested in seeing that one. 
-Bump to you sir, excellent work!

If you find some of that spray putty in a rattle can in the US please pass it along.  I have a couple projects coming up that would be great for.
DOC! YOU HAVE A TABLE OVER THERE WITH A SIGN THAT SAYS, "LASER DEATH RAY BARGAIN BIN!"

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 10:46:04 pm »
I found some at pep boys. Not the exact same make, but it was "spray filler/putty", so I'm guessing it's close.

I intend on trying it out on a future project. The cab I'm working on now is all finished hardwoods, so stuff like this is off limits  :)

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2009, 03:39:07 am »
Still gonna do those artwork sugestions in photoshop you mentioned? b :D I am interested ya know  :cheers:

I did a couple sketches just to visualize, and am having a hard time getting the proportions right due to all the angles that it has. I then got a brainstorm! That 3d file that you made could be the ticket, my gf is a modeler and I could unwrap that to get some shapes to drop into photoshop/illustrator. You wouldn't be against letting me snag those files would ya?

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2009, 06:50:53 am »
I did a couple sketches just to visualize, and am having a hard time getting the proportions right due to all the angles that it has. I then got a brainstorm! That 3d file that you made could be the ticket, my gf is a modeler and I could unwrap that to get some shapes to drop into photoshop/illustrator. You wouldn't be against letting me snag those files would ya?

OK, I'll see what I can do, either that or I just provide Front, Back and Side renders of the cab in a neutral light grey that can be coloured in photoshop.  I can take your suggestions (can be be just rough so I can understand your idea) and produce a new model in those colours.  Feedback and suggestions like this are much appreciated. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:58:53 am by Ond »

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 07:40:31 am »
holy cow. NICE concept, great execution.  Can't wait to see it done.

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »

WTF??? This is not the design of cabs I prefer but it's a very outstanding design and you are doing an amazing job here!!!  :notworthy:  :applaud:

You should win every "Designer prize" with that !!! :)

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Offline Offline
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2009, 07:25:01 am »
This is just crazy awsome... I saw the coing chute and i was blown away. The attention to detail and craftsmanship is just outstanding. Looking forward to seing the final product.  :applaud:

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2009, 06:53:24 am »
Thanks for the encouraging words guys...I spent most of this weekend just working on the CP. 
I've hinge mounted the CP on to the CP unit.  I've taken mayhems advice and provided extra side
buttons for 'tilt' when playing pinball.  The more I work on the cab the less I like the idea of it
being physically jolted with movement sensors to simulate 'tilt.  The CP is now ready to receive final paint. 
It will be left with just the undercoat as it appears in the pics until the rest of the cab is completed to
the same level.  I also glued some felt like fabric into the bottom of the CP so it doesn't sound so 'hollow'
on button presses.

Two coats more of spray putty, lots of sanding, then three coats of undercoat with sanding in between
-followed by a final wet hand sand with 2000 grit and here's the result ....

The brass catch I've chosen can be seen here.  These bearing catches are adjustable (for hold strength) and
give a nice click shut feel on closing

I still need to attach something to hold the CP top open
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:21:25 am by Ond »

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • Offline Offline
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2009, 07:48:34 am »
 :o

Just wow.

deoblo85

• Offline Offline
  • GAME or DIE
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2009, 11:32:29 am »
 :censored: I quit how do you compete with that  :'(  but really their are no word's :notworthy:

kizer

• Offline Offline
    • Links4jeeps.com
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2009, 12:19:56 pm »
Oh heck NO. How did you build that lid? I mean it just fits perfectly. Photos?

I don't reply a lot to some of these builds because I never have much to add other than looks nice, but holly molly that is just sick.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2009, 07:44:36 pm »
Hey guys  ;D there was a fair bit of obsessive behaviour that went into the now over shiny CP.  Well... it's a hobby thats perfect for 'finish' isn't it?  With the high benchmark that's set around here by many of you, a procrastinator like me gets fired up to try harder, and whats more important - finish something he started.  :cheers:  and thanks for comments.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2009, 03:05:09 pm »
wow

/end of line

:notworthy:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31