This weekend despite crazy- high temperatures I still managed to make some progress. Firstly cut the front panel from 7mm plywood with my jigsaw. One thing I've found with Plywood - a fine blade like a hacksaw blade makes cleaner less splintered & less ragged cuts. The shape was traced by laying the plywood sheet over the front of the unit and running a pencil along the edge.
Next I fitted it to the cab with some screws through the panels and into offcut pieces at several points along the joining edges.
Then I set about making the coin unit housing, first measured up for a good position and cut an access slot, making sure the unit clears any framework on the inside.
Then I measured and cut out the pieces for the coin housing choosing 12mm MDF for the front panel so that it can be rebated to accept the coin unit on the inside, and because most of my plywood is all bent in the heat
These were glued together and reinforced with a few small nails & timber beading and held in my vice until dry.
(you can never have too many clamps!
Coin unit was test fitted....
Once all dry, the coin housing was given a rounded edge with my router which I followed up by rounding the edges on any other cabinet edges as per my concept design
Then the coin unit housing was attached to the cab and coint unit mounted from inside. I've been using machine screws which are countersunk into the timber and then covered over with Plasti-Bond (more on Plasti-Bond in upcoming posts) to mount things like joy stick and coin unit. These units can then be removed at a later stage for repair or replacement if needed. Any screw holes resulting from countersunk screws are filled over with Plasti-Bond. And then sanded smooth.
Here's a closer shot showing the slots cut for coin unit and rounded off edges. As I start to fill gaps, blemishes, screw holes and joining edges I use a can of spray putty to lightely cover the surfaces. This shows up imperfections and areas that need more finishing / smoothing. Most of the putty gets sanded away until the whole unit is given a coat prior to final undercoat and painting. As I progress less and less plywood & MDF surface will be visible unit it all disappears under finishing coatings.
and the cabinet as it is to date