Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Williams Stargate Experts Needed - Ground up rebuild  (Read 1245 times)

Billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2015, 03:38:16 pm
Williams Stargate Experts Needed - Ground up rebuild
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:22:27 pm »
Okay guys I am looking for some advise on this project. I am a rookie when I come to building arcade machines. I have been building my own computers since 1998. When I ran into a mag called maxpc. It had what was coined dream machine 98 on the front of it. So I do have some skills that are kinda related.

I have a stargate cab thats empty and I want to put it back together. It has a Konami Hyper Sports harness in it from a conversion. It is really sad to me that this SG was butchered. It my fav game of all time. I grew up on this bad boy. lol

I wanted to post up and see what all of you think. Meaning what would be the best way to put it back together. I have found a few things that seem pretty reasonable and would make the machine brand new.

New williams Harness

New board by JROK's

I can also buy a real stargate board as well.

So I am just throwing this out their to see what everyone thinks. I don't need to be a purest. But on the other hand it would be nice to have the real thing.

I think the first round should be about getting the machine up and running with the least amount of money. What do all of you think?

Billy

• Offline Offline
Re: Williams Stargate Experts Needed - Ground up rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:45:50 pm »
I am going to need a bunch of different parts so far I have found...

The control panel harness.

If the guy doesn't finish his harness on Klov what else could I use?

I found a new williams harness somewhere else it said deluxe??? Can't find it now. err

I also have a jamma cab with full harness in it. It has a power supply and more. Can i use any of these parts to help me out on the stargate?

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:05:09 pm »
I would say that, unless you enjoy fixing Williams boards (some folks do), go with jrok's board (I'm so completely in love with them). You get accurate game play, a reliable board (or so it seems so far) at an unbelievable price.

If you don't have a Stargate harness handy, the easiest thing would be to rewire the cabinet as JAMMA with a standard arcade switching power supply.

As far as the control panel and parts goes -- do you want a dedicated Stargate, or a Stargate/Defender or a full-blown MultiWilliams ?

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Billy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:46:10 am »
I would say that, unless you enjoy fixing Williams boards (some folks do), go with jrok's board (I'm so completely in love with them). You get accurate game play, a reliable board (or so it seems so far) at an unbelievable price.

If you don't have a Stargate harness handy, the easiest thing would be to rewire the cabinet as JAMMA with a standard arcade switching power supply.

As far as the control panel and parts goes -- do you want a dedicated Stargate, or a Stargate/Defender or a full-blown MultiWilliams ?

1) I agree about jrok's board... Very cool indeed!

2) Can you provide me with a link to the best jamma harness and power supply?

3) I really would like to make a few control panels for this stargate. So yes a multiW joust & robotron... ect... I don't have a lot of room in my house so the more adaptable the cab the better. Do you for see any problems with a solution like this?

I really want to learn how to fix arcade boards it seems that Williams would be a good way to start.

I am going to need a new monitor what would you suggest? Stargate had a 19" in it correct?

Parts needed so far
-----
Front stargate bezel in good condition
Top back door
Monitor
Stencils
Williams coin box
Power supply
Harness
Board /s?
Control panel / overlay