Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Artwork now available! X-Men 6 Player cab!  (Read 115816 times)

xtommyboy22x

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2009, 02:32:59 pm
Re: Obtained an X-Men 6 Player cab!
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »
I would love to own one of these along with Ninja Turtles :)

Midway81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2011, 05:12:22 pm
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:01 pm »
Nice find. I just got the four player version on Monday. Played the six player at the local bowling alley when i was a kid, great game.

warmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2011, 07:45:20 pm
  • Wasn't she a great big fat person?
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2009, 03:11:02 pm »
Hey DeLuSioNal29,

I just picked this up at the Dallas Super Auction.  The art is in a terrible state.  The CPO is nice, but the side and front graphics need to be replaced.  How the art project coming along?  I'd definitely be interested in a set, once you get it done!  I sill have quite a bit of work to get it running.  It looks like a rat made a nest in the rear monitor box. :angry:  It's gonna need some serious clean up.  Rat ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- everywhere!!!! :banghead:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2009, 07:36:19 pm »
A quick update:  I'm still working on the control panel artwork.  Flip_Willie has been doing some amazing vectorization of the characters.  I'm currently working on Cyclops but I'm at a standstill.  I just realized his face is missing from my original scan of my CPO.   ???

Can someone out there take a pic of their Cyclops character and post it here?  I just need a reference to build it manually in Photoshop.

And as for other owners of the 6-players version of X-men, once all of my artwork is done I plan on donating it to mamemarquees.com.  So it will be available for printing.   :applaud:

~ DeLuSioNaL
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:40:21 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

warmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:05 am »

PM me your email, if you need it bigger.  Photobucket won't allow the original size.  They're huge pics.

warmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2009, 01:27:53 am »
Btw, DeLuSioNal, is there any way you(or anyone with a 6 player cab) could snap a few pics of the bottom of the cab?  Preferably of the isolation transformers, ground straps, and where the straps connect.  I had to take everything out and clean and paint the inside.  It was pretty hacked up down there, too.  I know where most of it goes, but not all of it.  It would be nice to get it as close to original as possible.  I'd appreciate it!!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2009, 09:50:51 pm »
Thanks for the help warmeister.  Still a ways for me to go but that helps tremendously.

Anyone else up for helping out with the vectorization?  Colossus in particular is proving challenging, since he is very detailed.  Any help would be great.  Flip_Willie has been a great help and has vectorized, Dazzler, Storm and Wolverine so far.  He should be starting Nightcrawler soon.  I'm still working on Cyclops, but I'm an amateur at this so it is taking longer than expected.

The background (X-men logos) took a while, but it's now perfect, along with the 6 player instructions on either end.  The huge yellow X-men logo is also done.

Once the characters are done, I'll need to work on the "Attack", "Mutant Power" and "Jump" stuff.  I actually have them in high res, so I don't need to vectorize them.  However, I'm not sure if I should include these on the CPO design itself, or if I should get them as separate stickers to be placed afterwards.  I'm nervous about not lining them up properly if they are printed on the CPO.  Thoughts?

And Warmmeister, your setup is probably better than mine.  There are unconnected wires everywhere, as I bought it in a "non-working" state.  Although I tested the board and it works (along with the monitors) everything is in shambles and I'll have to refer to the manual when I assemble it.  I have the original manual if you need it.  I can always scan it in.

Also, I have NO bezel at the moment.  So I don't even have a reference for those graphics, AT ALL.  Anyone?

edit:  I meant to type in bezel, not marquee above.

~ DeLuSioNaL

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:38:10 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

Flip_Willie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2020, 11:20:46 pm
    • FlipWillie's Site
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »

Anyone else up for helping out with the vectorization?  Colossus in particular is proving challenging, since he is very detailed.  Any help would be great.  Flip_Willie has been a great help and has vectorized, Dazzler, Storm and Wolverine so far.  He should be starting Nightcrawler soon.  I'm still working on Cyclops, but I'm an amateur at this so it is taking longer than expected.

Sorry for disappearing, but I am still working on the project -- I have just been a little busier lately.

I have started working on NightCrawler. I have made decent progress, but it still needs more work.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and upload what I have so far of everything so that people can take a look. As far as I am concerned, all of it is still a work in progress. Specifically, Wolverine and Nightcrawler need work.

Flip_Willie
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:27:23 pm by Flip_Willie »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »
Again, if anyone wishes to help with any of these PM me.  Flip_Willie is holding his own though, and I am very thankful!

~ DeLuSioNaL

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 06:10:13 pm »
By the way, for those that are interested.  This X-Men arcade game is based on a pilot episode called "Pryde of the X-Men"

See it here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=93341.msg982117#msg982117

~ DeLuSioNaL

warmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:13 am »
Any progress, Delusional?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »
Funny that you mention this.  I was planning to post here shortly that I was reviving the project.  This summer has proven to be very busy.  Between tending to my 1 year old son and other family issues (death in the family)... it has been a whirlwind!  Also, I had a couple other projects that sidetracked me a bit.  (Total Carnage/Smash TV combo restoration and Pong restoration).  However, I now have some time on my hands to work on this again.

However, I have not heard from anyone who was helping out with the graphics of the characters.  That's crucial at this point, as the CPO cannot be completed without them.  Any new volunteers?  I can use all the help that I can get.

DeLuSioNaL

warmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »
Sorry to hear about your family situation.  I've been busy, too.  No time to put into my X-Men restoration either.  There aren't any traces of rats in the cab, thankfully.  I cleaned it out w/ bleach, painted it w/ Kilz, and spray painted over it.  It smells like paint, instead of poo!  I just have to put it all back together now.  I'd help you out w/ the vector stuff, but I don't know the first thing about it.  Couldn't it be scanned it sections, touched up w/ Photoshop, then pasted back together?  Granted, you have a couple of good scans to pull from?  My cpo is in pretty good shape, but it might be a little faded.  I'll have to ask my graphic designer friend and see what he says.  On the OT side....you're doing a S.T.V & T.C. resto?  Sweeeeet!  I have dedicated Smash cab in great condition and a T.C. board I put inide of it.  How do you have it hooked up?  Just swapping the pcbs?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2009, 10:21:25 am »
I'll have to hit you up on pics of your cab wiring once I reassemble mine.  It was in shambles when I got it with cut wires everywhere.

As for the Total Carnage/SmashTV conversion, I don't want to hijack this thread, so you can read about it in a separate topic here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=95663.0

DeLuSioNaL

warmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2009, 06:48:48 pm »
Everything inside hadn't been disturbed.  It was complete, with no hacks.  The only problems were severed wires going to the monitor adjustment boards, disconnected molex plugs,  and of course the rats nest inside.  The monitors didn't have any picture, but they should work when they're hooked up.  I made some notes regarding the wiring placement and even tagged the ends of the ground straps and such for reassembly.  It shouldn't be too hard, considering all of the main electronics and connections are in the control panel box.  I haven't even started on that yet.  It wasn't in that bad of shape.  So I'll probably just clean it out really well.  I'm going to get around to finishing the project, when it isn't over 105* outside.  I hate sweating and working on arcade games.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2009, 07:20:23 pm »
Let me know how the progress goes.

Also, I've managed to scan the entire side panel on the control panel if anyone is interested in piecing it together.  It was in pretty good shape when I scanned it.

DeLuSioNaL

dstone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2021, 01:03:52 pm
    • Vectorcade
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2009, 12:52:50 am »
I, too, just picked up a 6-player. Artwork is in really sad shape, but it's supposed to be working. I'll get some pictures of the wiring once I get it back together.

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2009, 10:20:35 am »
Good to see some JAMMA classics like X-Men getting some love from collectors. I think DeLuSioNal29 has a manual already, but for those that may not, I took some time to scan my manual last night since I don't think anybody has scanned the 6 player or maybe even 4 player manual yet. Enjoy. :)

Edit: I've also submitted this to arcarc.xmission.com so hopefully more people will benefit from it hopefully being on a better site.

Wow I didn't expect arcarc to update that fast, but here we go:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/X-Men_(6%20player).pdf
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:42:43 am by SuperGunGuru »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2009, 01:03:37 pm »
Hey, nice job on the instruction manual scan!

I had put it on my "to do list" since I have the original as well, but now it's one less thing I have to do.  :)

One other note...  The phone numbers in the manual are all outdated.  I've tried calling for parts.  Betson Enterprises has taken over for Konami.  So if you need any parts you can get them there.  However, they don't really have parts for the 6 player version (I tried).   ???

However, that said, I have some really good scans of stuff and I'm sure with a collaborative effort, we can create some nice overlays for the arcade community to benefit from.  Scott at Mamemarquees.com is on board to add whatever is created to his store for purchasing re-prints from. 

So who wants to get started?  I can upload images of what I have done so far if needed.

DeLuSioNaL

duhh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2015, 05:11:31 pm
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »
Hey all, I just had the good fortune of picking up one of these 6 player cabs myself. I pick it up, fortunately across town, in about 2 weeks. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to post 1) dimensions of the assembled cabinet as assembled, and 2) be willing to measure the individual sections. I am basically wondering if this thing will make it into my basement in 2 or 3 pieces (I'll yank the monitors before attempting that), or If an I am going to be ripping the thing into hundreds of pieces to get it down there. Also wondering if anyone has a guess on the weight. My guess is 450-500 assembled, but I have no basis for that aside from looking at specs for cabs half the size.

I am also curious as to how to transport the thing, not sure if it will fit in my mini-van or if I am better off renting a truck from home depot or something for $20. obviously dimensions will help me figure that out.

I also know the unit is getting some audio buzz, seller is wife's friend, so she's rather honest on the condition. I read that is typically the 5v connector though.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2009, 10:51:46 pm »
Good to hear it.  I already know a few people who own it and we're all teaming together to get the artwork done.  Let me know what shape your artwork is when you get it.  You may be able to scan something that we don't have.

As for the dimensions... I just measured it and here they are:

Base (houses the left side monitor that is mounted facing up and power supply
Height:  79"
Width:  50"
Depth:  29"

Control Panel (houses the joysticks, PCB and coin doors)
Height:  41"
Width:  48"
Depth:  27"

Monitor Box (houses the right side monitor which faces forward).
Height:  23"
Width:  26"
Depth:  20"

It may even weigh more than that assembled.  But 450 - 550 is good rough estimation.

I highly doubt it will fit in your basement unless you have a walk in.  The angles going down stairs are tough.  Also, you'll probably have to remove the door to get it through most doorways.  My machine is sitting in my garage.  It would not fit in my basement (walk in from garage) due to the tight turn.

As for the transport.  I was able to fit the control panel in my truck (hatchback so it slid right in).  And the monitor also fit too (on a separate trip).  My buddy came with me the second time with a pickup truck and we put the base part of the unit on there and strapped it down.  There was NO way it would fit in my SUV.  A minivan?  Nope.

DeLuSioNaL

By the way, the audio buzzing sounds like a grounding issue.

duhh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2009, 11:18:41 pm »
We went for the up-sale and are getting track & field and vanguard as well, so I might as well rent a truck. Thanks for the insanely detailed information, and quickly at that! I registered on this forum just because of your post. I guess John was out of town for like a week, so I was having a really hard time waiting for the authorization :)

I will post some pics once I get the unit. I saw a video from like 5 feet away and the thing looks like it was used very gently. Be glad to contribute to the artwork/restoration collection.

fortunately, I recently stripped my basement down to the studs, so one entire side of the stairway is completely opened up. The largest doorway I have is 36 and the smallest is 32. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but with the dimensions you posted, I think it will fit. Guess I am never moving it it does.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2009, 11:30:18 pm »
It should barely squeak through as long as you don't have any turns.  Just keep in mind that this thing has a humongous footprint once you get it in!  It's not only 50" wide, but when assembled it's 76" deep!  That's over 6 feet away from the wall when standing in front of it!

I bought mine for $200 non-working (I test the PCB on another Jamma unit and it works fine, so it's probably wiring).  I'm curious what you got yours for?

D

Flip_Willie

• Offline Offline
    • FlipWillie's Site
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2009, 10:15:48 pm »
What is left to be done on the CPO?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2009, 02:16:09 am »
We need the 6 characters completed.  We had attempted to vectorize them, but that came to a screeching halt and my volunteers never finished.  However, I have met someone who has been able to scan his control panel with much better results, as his characters were in better shape.  We may be able to Photoshop them instead of Vectorizing them.  I consider myself an expert with Photoshop so that' probably the route I will take, since I can't Vectorize to save my left (yet).

However, If someone can attempt to vectorize them, that may also be best.  Not sure yet.

I have attached the newly acquired scans of the 6 characters to this post.

Once I get the characters in there, I have to scale them, and then measure where the holes would go.  (I have the CPO plans thanks to Jakobud who happened to have the plans for the 6 player X-men cabinet).  So measuring should be a snap.

I already have the background all done (it's perfectly aligned - it took a while).  And the instructions have been finished as well.  I have the graphics for the attack, jump and mutant powers, but I need to measure where those go.

I've also attached what I've done so far with the CPO.  It may not look like a lot but tons of hours have been placed on getting the background perfect.

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:48:14 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

Flip_Willie

• Offline Offline
    • FlipWillie's Site
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2009, 07:51:23 pm »
Hey,

Well, I am certainly sorry, I didn't mean to just cut out on you. The last email I got from you put me under the impression that you found someone to finish vectorizing the last two characters -- primarily Colossus which I didn't think I could do. I admit, I did get kind of sidetracked over the summer with school and other stuff. Anyway, I am sorry for that -- I guess I just sort of fell out of the loop.

It is too bad that the vectorization project fell apart. Back then, I felt like Colossus was the only real obstacle to finishing the CPO art. I mean, only Colossus and Cyclops were left, and Cyclops really didn't look to be that much of a hassle. I just don't think I have enough experience or talent to work on Colossus. I am surprised out of the many talented artists on this board that none of them wanted to take on Colossus.

I am still interested in the project. I feel certain I could vectorize Cyclops; however, I won't lie. I have a very intense semester ahead of me, and I would certainly put school before any of the work I did here. So progress would be unpredictable and slow. Additionally, the bigger task would still be getting someone to work on Colossus. If no one else is able to do that, then it probably isn't worth the effort to finish vectorizing Cyclops.

On another note, it looks like you are making pretty good headway on cleaning up the original art in photoshop. Personally, I think it should either be all vector or all photoshop. Mixing might not look the best. It is your project, so you can decide what you feel is the best.

Once again, I am sorry for not coming through with the vector art.

Flip Willie

Flip_Willie

• Offline Offline
    • FlipWillie's Site
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2009, 08:04:49 pm »
Just for clarification, this is everything I had finished. I guess it could be of help to you. I made the background art pretty quickly, so it still needs a bit of work. Also, I didn't work on getting it to scale.

PrimeTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2014, 08:17:41 pm
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2009, 08:18:17 pm »
Willie again you did a fantastic job!! Lets see which way DeLuSioNaL wants to go from here.

Speaking see how cyclops is more clear thats because i did that one with the clear cover off. The only problem with that is it took all the white with it!!!.

PrimeTarget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2014, 08:17:41 pm
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2009, 08:37:10 pm »
You know what warmeister's images were quite good too!

duhh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:41 pm »
Hey gang, don't get my cab for another week, but had some more simple questions.

1) Which controllers (position wise) are the ones wired into the jamma harness as opposed to wired directly into the board? Wondering if the option of sticking another board in there is an option. I realize it should technically work, but it would suck if P1 is the far left controller, even though that makes the most sense logically. Don't worry, I won't murder the cab, I want this thing for xmen, but thinking it might be fun to have another game or two to slap in there.

2) Looks like the primary monitor connects to the jamma interface and the secondary plugs into an RGB port on the board? Just curious how it all connects.

dstone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2021, 01:03:52 pm
    • Vectorcade
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2009, 08:22:36 am »
1) Which controllers...
2) Looks like the primary monitor connects to the jamma interface and the secondary plugs into an RGB port on the board? Just curious how it all connects.

You are correct on #2. I can't vouch for #1 yet, it will be a short while before I can get to the machine again.

Got it going, everything but the sound. Wiring was hacked up quite a bit, don't know how much of a help it will be to everyone.

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2009, 08:21:29 pm »
The two controllers on the far left are wired into the JAMMA harness as players one and two so yes it would be a bit of a pain playing other boards in some way. The right side monitor which hangs off the back receives its video signal from the JAMMA harness. The left side monitor connects to that small 4 pin connector on the pcb.

duhh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2009, 09:33:03 am »
Picking my cab up tomorrow. After looking at DeLuSioNal29's dimensions, there is no way I can get the base into my basement in one piece, which leads to an unpleasant question. Could the base be separated? I am not sure if it is glued/expoxied/screwed/cammed together.

Obviously disassembly would take a long time, but I don't think I am moving for a few years, so I am OK with dumping some time into it so long as I don't kill the cabinet. I feat some of you are going to tell me that the artwork is overlayed on top of fasteners, or that there's a welded frame, etc. If that's the case, I guess it is time turn the 3 season room into a 4 season room :)

duhh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:06 pm »
Got my cab, it unfortunately lives in my garage right now. I am not sure if it is good news or bad news, but someone previously disassembled the cab and put it back together and threw in a few wood screws here and there. The artwork on the sides now has some screw holes in it and is a bit beat up. All of the characters on the CP seem to be in good shape, save Wolverine. I will try to get some pics in the near future.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »
I found this graphic of Colossus on the web.  It's at 75 dpi and measures 371 x 325 pixels (4.947 in. x 4.333 in.)

Do you guys think that's sharp enough for the final product, since it's only a small element of the entire panel?

Thoughts?

D

Flip_Willie

• Offline Offline
    • FlipWillie's Site
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2009, 05:17:30 pm »
Scott at Mamemarquees recommends using 200-300 DPI for the final piece. If you already have your final artwork at that DPI, then just place this file into it and see what it looks like. I don't think you would want to stretch it.

Necroticart

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2023, 10:42:36 am
  • Welcome to my nightmare
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2009, 05:07:04 pm »
well I found this thread a couple of days ago and i'm a huge fan of the xmen so I made the vector of Cyclops you needed here is a png of the file for now if you give me a gmail address and I'll send you the ai file  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:02:50 pm by Necroticart »

wolfie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2010, 01:09:33 pm
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:57 pm »
i have one of these nice big 6 player machines in my collection that is all original execpt for the powersupply.

Majoraslayer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2009, 12:46:47 pm »
That is an ENORMOUS cab!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »
Well, I'm glad that this project is getting revived again.  I've been busy with other projects, but now that the weather is starting to get colder, it's time to go back indoors to work on artwork.    :applaud:

I have to say that I'm really pleased that there a lot more people that own this beast.  If we work together we can finally get this reproduction finished and everyone can benefit.

All of you guys have done a great job with the vectorization.  I am passing on Flip Willie's work to Necroticart so that he can touch them up with greater detail.  He also plans to work Colossus as well.  (That's a tough one with more detail to worry about).  Again, a big thanks goes out to Flip Willie for starting up the vectorization and for Necroticart for finishing them up.

Thanks to all and I can't wait to have this completed!

DeLuSioNaL29