Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Capcom / SF Fans  (Read 2100 times)

toilet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2005, 11:53:45 am
    • Briefcase Emulator
Capcom / SF Fans
« on: March 05, 2002, 05:53:30 am »
Hey,

I've started designing my own SF cabinet. I know people here are more MAME junkies, but I'd like to hear input from any die-hard capcom fighting fans if there are any.

As far as controls, I have two MAS sticks now (http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html), they're your average cabinet sticks and buttons.

However, I'd like to find those shallower convex (as opposed to typical concave) extra sensitive buttons. And I think I just did: http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/539200xx.htm.

As far as the joystick goes, any comments on the Happ Ultimate vs. Super vs. Competition 8 way scenerio? Are they too tight, are the positions "overly defined", etc.

I can post more of what I'm planning on doing if anyone's interested. Any comments appreciated.

aramis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
Re: Capcom / SF Fans
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2002, 07:03:38 am »
For joysticks, I use the Happs Competitions. They feel exactly like I remember using in the arcade. I hear that another good alternative would be the Happs Perfect 360 (now based on a competition base I believe). These are purely optical, with no mechanical switch. I haven't used the Perfect 360's myself at home, so I can't comment for sure on their performance.

As far as buttons go, the Happs Ultimate has a slightly longer travel than the Happs Horizontal PB. I'm not sure about where the switch actually engages during the travel, but the plunger can definitely travel further on the Ultimate PB. Both the Ultimate and Horizontal PB's have an indentation at the top, instead of being domed. The big difference is that the Ultimate plunger "slides by" the switch contact tangentially, while on the horizontal PB the plunger strikes directly on the contact. It seems like the Ultimate PB plunger would be easier on the switch, but for the cheap replacement price I would rather have the short travel of the Horizontal PB.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Kanedo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2003, 11:27:17 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2002, 07:07:11 am »
Don't get the Ultimate Pushbuttons.  They're not shallow, not sensitive, and easier to malfunction.  The "shallower convex (as opposed to typical concave) extra sensitive buttons" you're referring to are the Competition Pushbuttons(http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5896xxl.htm)

For Capcom games, you will most likely need a joystick that can do full 360 rotation easily for those quarter-circle, semi-circle, and 360 moves.  The only joystick with microswitches that does that is the Super.  However, a much better option is to get the Competition Perfect 360 Joystick (http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/50608300.htm).  The reason I suggest the Perfect 360 is that microswitches wear out, and if you play a lot, you'll start missing your moves in less than a month.  The Perfect 360 uses optical sensors to detect your movements and it won't wear out.  Plus, because there're no microswitches, you won't hear or feel the clicks.  My local arcade uses nothing but Perfect 360s on all of their Capcom machines, and I've done the same with my Control Panel.

If you have anymore questions regarding the choice of pushbuttons and joysticks for Capcom games, IM me on AIM (SN: Kanedo).

tektreve

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Never
  • Starting to work on my first cabinet!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2002, 07:37:42 am »
I don't play a lot of fighting games, but I think I'm going to get the Competition Perfect 360s.

toilet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2005, 11:53:45 am
    • Briefcase Emulator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2002, 09:54:44 am »
Wow, thanks for all the responses.

Kanedo, sorry, the link I meant to paste were to those Competition buttons, not the standard ones. But yeah, those are them.

The arcade I goto has those Perfect 360's. I'm a little sloppy on some things with them just because I'm too accustomed to traditional clicking sticks, but they're definately more responsive. They're paired with those competition buttons and it's definately a 'quick' setup for lack of a better term.

As far as the guts of the machine go, right now it looks like a PS2 with room in the cabinet for a PC alongside in the future. I already own most of the games for the Playstation anyhow. The emulators today are already amazing and can do up to Alpha3, however lately I've been playing alot of CvS2 and unfortunately that's only on a console for now.

A modded DC with a VGA adapter on a 25" RGB Arcade monitor at 640 would be slick. Too bad about the DC's support for future games.

So yeah, that's it in a nutshell so far. An engineering friend at work is helping me design the cab in ProEngineer, which is great for visualization and creating blueprints. It's all still very early though.

Kanedo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2003, 11:27:17 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2002, 10:27:09 am »
[shadow=teal,left,400]Do you find that they work well for non-fighting games, or do you think Happ Supers would be the better way to go?[/shadow]

For me, I hate the clicking... So, for any 8-way games, I prefer Perfect 360.