Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SEGA Hang-on T-Molding request  (Read 2971 times)

synonym9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2015, 09:44:32 pm
SEGA Hang-on T-Molding request
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:17:51 pm »

I look for a source for such a T-molding for my Hang-On.

Please, if you share a link, do not share a link to a T-Molding-source since I think I almost browsed them all, post the link to the actuall product.

I hope someone find a molding in that size, I have found 15mm T-moldings but all of them are curved, I would need a Donkey Kong molding in black....I think that would be perfect.

Thanks

synonym9

• Offline Offline
Re: SEGA Hang-on T-Molding request
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:48:40 am »
Nooooooooooooooobody???  :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:15:59 am »
I have no idea what you're talking about right now.

Can you post a pic of the actual part you are trying to replace?

The pic you posted looks like oridinary t-molding to me.

synonym9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:47:48 am »
I have no idea what you're talking about right now.

Can you post a pic of the actual part you are trying to replace?

The pic you posted looks like oridinary t-molding to me.

I only find that curved ones:

http://www.cabinetmakerssupply.com/images_products/vinyl_bumper_t_molding_cabinet_supply_3752thu.jpg

How I described, the flat one of a DK would be great, but I need a black one not a white one.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:55:10 pm »
So you need one that is flat, not with the radius to it, when looking at the profile of it?

synonym9

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
So you need one that is flat, not with the radius to it, when looking at the profile of it?

You got it!  :)

But cannot find anything....in 15mm....

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »
LTIC, no one makes it in that size and in that color anymore.

You are right. It is very very close to the white Nintendo cab reproduction T-Molding that is sold er... somewhere. I ordered some samples of different T-moldings yonkers back including the white Nintendo cab and IIRC, the other moldings have a very pronounced curve whereas the Hang-On and Nintendo sample were the closest match to each other in terms of shape. I don't recall off the top of my head if I felt the match was close enough to make it a worthwhile alternative or what. It's been a very long time since I ordered those samples and I've since lost them. According to T-Molding their Nintendo molding is 9/16 and 5/8' is closer to 15mm than 9/16' so there's that. Tht means if you can find 5/8' you can carefully trim the excess with a blade.

The options I remember looking at was:

A) To try and find NOS molding. That would be like finding original Star Wars cab molding. Fat chance in hell. Other than setting up a eBay dæmon, I didn't really spend a lot of time pursuing that.

B) Find an alternate supplier. I did find a couple of companies that would be more than happy to create custom T-Molding of that type but there's usually a large minimum order. I don't recall the details, looks like I lost the emails. Thing is, companies still make and sell flat molding (Patwin is one such company) but that size and color is tough to find unless you're willing to buy it in large quantities, as in 1000lf or more.

C) It's been suggested to me to purchase the curved molding anyways and "hammer" it flat to take advantage of the hollow portion under the curve. A heat gun would help soften the plastic and glue underneath in the channel to help it "stay" in place. It was also suggested to "trim" or sand the molding flat. Yeah.... not so sure about either of that.

D) Settle with an alternate molding. I think this is the option I looked at the most other than finding a supplier and I wasn't too happy with my options. But given that it's nearly difficult (and expensive) to find many of the cosmetic parts NOS I have taken to replacing many of the cosmetics with more modern components. For instance eBay is usually flush with tons of cheap handles under $20 and they seem to cycle or change styles every six months or so. It's something to consider  :dunno

E) One option I never looked at ta the time but I know of now is dye for plastics. I'm not 100% certain what the Nintendo molding from T-Molding is made from (an email won't hurt) but, if we say it's PVC, then there is an excellent article over at Makezine about dying PVC and a quick search on eBay shows black exists for "petroleum dye". When I get around to it (ie, when I figure out where my samples are) this is something I'll definitely experiment with.

If you do manage to find a supplier selling new molding in that shape, size and color in enough quantities to finish out that cab, I'll be interested.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:36:04 pm by SavannahLion »