Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Particle board cabinet repair? Holes and black laminate issues.  (Read 5886 times)

Billy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2015, 03:38:16 pm
My god what have I got myself into? This arcade machine cab is made of nothing but particle board. It has no side art of any kind and black plastic / laminate (please insert correct material here) cover's the whole darn thing.

So how do you repair / restore particle board? lol
Don't they make real wood cabs?

Billy

• Offline Offline
Re: Particle board cabinet repair? Holes and black laminate issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:54:29 pm »
Hum more info might help...

The black stuff has peeled away from the sides and is torn off in spots. The rest of it looks fine. How do I replace the black plastic that covers the whole machine or just repair the bad spots?

What is the correct name of this covering my 1990 atari pit-fighter. I have not put up all my snaps of the machine yet but will try to add them tomorrow.

Chadwick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 03:23:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:29:21 pm »
It could be a number of things... Vinyl, Melamine, Laminate to name a few.  Get some pics up and we'll nail it down.

Billy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:14:22 pm »
Okay I did get a few up tonight. No since in wasting Ac's bandwidth/room on their server. I posted them up on my site.

http://www.mrcade.com/modules/extgallery/public-album.php?id=3

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Billy

Chadwick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 03:23:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:33 am »
It looks like melamine or something similar.  It will be very difficult to repair that and make it look good.  If it were me, I'd get a heat gun and remove it all, then sand and paint or laminate.  Which you choose will depend on your skills and budget (laminating will be more expensive and require more skill).

Billy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:54:33 am »
Quote from: Chadwick
It looks like melamine or something similar.  It will be very difficult to repair that and make it look good.  If it were me, I'd get a heat gun and remove it all, then sand and paint or laminate.  Which you choose will depend on your skills and budget (laminating will be more expensive and require more skill).

Hum I will check into new laminate for the cab from home depot or lowes. Maybe they have something decent. Do you know of any pictures on the net of someone trying to restore particle board? Before and after shots? I really would like to see what it would look like with paint? Wouldn't the particle board just suck the paint down? I guess I could just primer the heck out of it first.

Thanks for your post.

ItchyD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2017, 03:38:24 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:58:45 pm »
Apparently it takes many coats.  There are alot of guys on here who do amazing things with paint.  My mind is a blank as far as which projects right now but some guys are getting close to a piano like finish. 

evitagen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2016, 10:43:40 am
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »
Get a grey primer if you're going to paint it black.  Won't take as many primer coats.

I'm actually in the process of building a cabinet and I have similiar issues... except the paint was horrible on the old cabinet, so I sanded it all away.  Now I'm working on re-painting it.

Good luck.