Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just a shout out to a tool that saved me a lot of troublshooting  (Read 1474 times)

Sarver Systems

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
My son got me one of those IR thermometers for CHristmas one year.

I often used it for checking for overheated coils on pinball machines, but the other day I used it to repair an arcade game.

A client of mine has a stand-up 18-wheeler.
While using it, he noticed small traces of smoke coming out of the vents at the top, and he could smell burning electronics.
Like a good arcade collector, he immediately turned it off and called me.
I pulled the panels off the back and turned it back on, watching for anything unusual.
Nothing.
And the game still played with a beutiful picture.
Not sure what was going on, we left it run for a few hours while I worked on some other projects of his.
When we went back to check on it, it was still running, but it was making a bad electronics burning smell again.
I whipped out my thermometer to check for hot spots.
I checked the fuses, holders, transformer, all the connectors, etc... Nothing was above room temp (except the transformer which was just slightly warm).
I scanned all around, and noticed that as I got higher and higher on the back of the monitor, the hotter and hotter it.

You know what it ended up being?
The ballast on the fliurescent light.
It was so hot that you couldn't even touch it.
I disconnected it, and we ran it for another hour just to MAKE SURE thats all it was.
Problem gone!
Wired in a new fixture, and off to the races!
1 satisfied customer.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Just a shout out to a tool that saved me a lot of troublshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:41:56 pm »
Whew, at least it was something non-critical and easily fixed!