Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A Mame machine in an antique buffet - USB probs solved (I think!)  (Read 202557 times)

captaincatalyst

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2014, 05:06:32 pm
Re: A Mame machine in an antique buffet - FoFIX working with Guitars and Drums
« Reply #600 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:37 pm »
Hi drventure,

I'm really liking your cabinet.  I will be doing a steampunk themed build myself.  It will probably be more of a standard sized and shaped cabinet, but we'll see.  At any rate I will be incorporating a rotating monitor as well.  I haven't read all of your posts in this thread to see if you have landed on a solution, but I found something that I will be making use of to rotate the monitor with a hand crank.

I purchased a geared winch from Harbor Freight.

I had a 20% coupon so it came to a little over $20.  This particular winch changes the direction of motion such that it could be mounted behind a monitor with the handle shaft extended to the side of the cabinet where you turn the crank.  Of course it will have to be modified, but it can be easily taken apart.  Even though cranking is easy, the larger gear stays locked so the monitor wouldn't end up rotating back under its own weight.  I will incorporate a more steampunk themed crank on the outside, but the winch itself will be hidden from view.  You could even go so far as to have this drive other gears that would be visible.  Even if you don't have room for it right behind the monitor you still might be able to use it to drive a series of gears that end up rotating a gear attached to the monitor.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 09:24:36 pm by captaincatalyst »

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #601 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:43 pm »
Nice idea with the winch. I'm leaning toward a brass grandfather clock cable and pulley arrangement right now. I just haven't been able to find brass or brass like gears that would be of the size (and look decent enough) for me to actually use. But clock parts are all over the place. My main concern is that they'll handle the torque, but I think it'll be fine.

I'm going to try mocking up a layout on some plywood first to be sure though.

I could see using an old white ceramic faucet handle for the winch crank. Could be sweet!

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #602 on: January 08, 2011, 07:13:19 am »
i watched the movie the wild west with will smith last night.. man that whole movie seams steampunk inspired to me.. made me think of your cab. heh

i look forward to what you do with your guns.  i do not really like the aimtrack shells.  but ill end up going with them to start.. blah..

50 bucks for a shell with out even a feed back motor.  the topguns come with one..  but i dunno how well the topgun II guns work.. must be a reason everyone uses the aimtracks.

have a great morning.  :)

i think i hear a steam powered alarm clock ready to blow.

chris.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #603 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:53 am »
Hey Jipp

I was going to ask if you'd seen the Maverick Nerf gun mod that was recently posted, but I just checked and it looks like you have. Good stuff. That's where I'm leaning, but I'd sure like to make em wireless!

captaincatalyst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #604 on: January 10, 2011, 11:45:34 am »
I just haven't been able to find brass or brass like gears that would be of the size (and look decent enough) for me to actually use.

I have to agree with you on that one.  Large gears seem to be very difficult to track down.  I see very few on eBay and they tend to be pretty expensive.  Small watch gears are very abundant, but of course wouldn't work for rotating a monitor.  Anyone have any ideas on sourcing large (greater than 2") gears?  Ones with threaded screw holes to keep them attached to a rod would be preferable.  I suppose the type of metal wouldn't matter because, if need be, they could always be painted.

I think I'll end up doing mine where most of the functional parts for the rotating mechanism are hidden and drive a set of smaller exposed gears for looks.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #605 on: January 10, 2011, 12:24:37 pm »
How about enclosing the monitor in a giant wooden gear, driven by a worm screw at the bottom (:

I've got no clue what the shipping would be like, but I've got access to a very large CNC that can cut solid hardwoods up to several inches thick. How big is your screen again?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #606 on: January 10, 2011, 12:27:33 pm »
I've got access to a very large CNC that can cut solid hardwoods up to several inches thick.

orly?

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #607 on: January 10, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »
I've got access to a very large CNC that can cut solid hardwoods up to several inches thick.

orly?

yah rly.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #608 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:33 pm »
 :drool

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #609 on: January 10, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »
drools.  that is a beast!!! we are not worthy! we are not worth! bows down.

on a side not i finally went ahead and ordered the aimtrack light gun kit.  once i saw andy was working on new firm wear to support feed back.. was enough for me to support his product.  regardless if it gets that update or not.  he cares and listens to the community.. thats boss!

chris.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #610 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:29 am »
Nice CNC!

I like the idea, but my cab doesn't have room for that size gear  :(

That Aimtrak Maverick mod though is right up my alley!

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #611 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:25 am »
Nice CNC!

I like the idea, but my cab doesn't have room for that size gear  :(

That Aimtrak Maverick mod though is right up my alley!

Oh well. (: When you start building your second steampunk cab, just keep it in mind.

If you can come up with any other things we could cut on it, let me know. The guys over at our woodshop have enjoyed working on the odd arcade projects I've thrown at them, we just can't find a niche that would be profitable enough to market, unless a bunch of people want to start buying Armoircades all of the sudden.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #612 on: January 11, 2011, 10:08:08 am »
You could cut joystick cases for xbox 360 / ps3 custom builders...   :drool

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #613 on: January 11, 2011, 10:17:23 am »
I was tinkering with the idea of bartop-cocktail kits. We could mass cut them out on that table like 4 at a time.
But we probably should stop threadjacking.

captaincatalyst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #614 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:26 am »
Drventure, I'm curious how you plan to go about painting the guns to ensure the paint will remain in good shape after a lot of handling.  I'm still researching how to accomplish this with mine before diving in.  Seems like you wouldn't necessarily have access to Krylon plastic paint in the colors you'll need for a steampunk theme.  Automotive paints might be a good option.  You used the Future floor wax for other parts with great success, so do you think it would help on the guns?

Will you eventually have to re-apply the floor wax in the places you used it on the cab?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:54:06 am by captaincatalyst »

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #615 on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »
@Cotmm
unless a bunch of people want to start buying Armoircades all of the sudden.
:laugh2:

Judging from those comments over on klov, not too soon  ;)

I had toyed with the idea of wood gears, but I think brass would be a bit more in keeping with the design. I'd still love to see some wood gears in a build though. One project I always wanted to take on was building an all wooden clock.

@captaincatalyst

Yeah, that plastic paint hasn't given me very good results the few times I've tried it, and they definitely don't have a good range of "steampunkish" colors.

But I've had excellent results so far with the combination I outlines on this thread for painting my buttons.

basically, I did this
1) start with the normal shiny plastic HAPP buttons.
2) disassemble and take very fine steel wool to them to rough all the exposed surfaces up.
3) mask off the threads
4) spray with rustoleum heavy duty primer
5) let dry thoroughly
6) hit them with very fine steel wool again, lightly, just to smooth out any rough spots.
7) spray with various metalic enamels. I used rustoleum and valspar mostly, because that's what was at Hobby lobby and home depot/lowes.
8) brush on non-water soluable india ink, then rub/wipe of quickly. This REALLY makes the metallics pop and gives the finish a depth you won't get any other way.
9) buy a bottle of Future Floor Wax.
10) Get a large tray and some paper towels.
11) squirt the future all over the painted pieces holding them over the tray (I airbrushed them originally, but I found just squirting it on right out of the bottle works even better, thicker coat, faster to apply, no cleanup)
12) hang the pieces to dry, and use a little paper towel to dab up any drippy spots on the bottom of the items while the future is still watery.
13) after about an hour or so, repeat steps 11-12, then repeat again (I put three coats on).

If you want a little duller finish (Future is SUPER glossy normally), get some tamiya flat acrylic (you can usually find it at high end hobby stores), and mix some with the future. Just how much, you kind of have to play with.

Several people have said online that if you mix some SIMPLE GREEN (another kind of floor cleaner I think), with the future, you'll get an incredibly glossy finish, much like a wet look. But you need to be extra careful about dust if you go that route.

As for durability, I treated all the buttons on my cabinet (the +buttons+ mind you, that get beat to hell when you play anything) and they look the same as when I finished them out originally. I can't detect any wear at all on them. My entire CP I treated with 3 coats of future as well, and it (and all the stamping design I applied) still look like new. Just wipe with water. Don't use any ammonia cleaner (or alcohol based I believe), or it'll take the future off.

As for guns, that's exactly how I plan on doing them. Granted, if you bash the gun, drop it on a hard floor etc, it'll likely scratch, but any paint would do that. Treated decently, I can't imagine there being any problems with the finish.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #616 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »
Well, thanks to NeverendingProject, I'm the proud owner of a new Aimtrak module. Thanks!

Finally gonna get a chance to hack one of these Nerf guns I've been storing for more than a year.

That Nerf Maverick to LightGun thread is due for a complete full reread!

captaincatalyst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #617 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »
Keep in mind that Andy plans at some point to release firmware that will support solenoid recoil, so it would end up being much simpler if he does.  I still haven't heard back from him on that yet.  Also, I know you really want wireless, so if that's important, then recoil might be out anyway since it will take a lot of power.

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #618 on: January 26, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
Well, thanks to NeverendingProject, I'm the proud owner of a new Aimtrak module. Thanks!

Finally gonna get a chance to hack one of these Nerf guns I've been storing for more than a year.

That Nerf Maverick to LightGun thread is due for a complete full reread!

hey cool  you got the aimtrack..  check out my pictures if you wanna see how it goes together in the aimtrack gun housing.  i put the gun part together.. just need to do the configuring part when im feeling up to it.  cant wait to see your guns come together.  i know with the aimtracks plastic gun housing they feel a little light for me.. so i may put some modeling clay in to give some mass. 

chris.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #619 on: January 26, 2011, 09:39:15 pm »
@CaptainCatalyst

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about power requirements and a solenoid. Maybe a smaller unit that could work of the 5v on a USB port?

Don't really know yet. I'm kind of leaning toward this first build being a test bed.

@Jipp
Yep, I saw those pics. Fantastic. Definitely with the wieghts. On the Steampunk modded guns I did, I glued lead battery terminals I had laying around inside to give them a little heft.

Don't want the light guns too heavy or it'll wear you out playing!

captaincatalyst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #620 on: January 27, 2011, 11:17:07 am »
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about power requirements and a solenoid. Maybe a smaller unit that could work of the 5v on a USB port?

Don't really know yet. I'm kind of leaning toward this first build being a test bed.

I would be very surprised if you could find a 5v solenoid that you could actually feel.  From my limited experience with the solenoids the more volts and definitely the more amps the better.  So even if a solenoid was rated at 5v, it would likely require more amps than the USB port can put out (not sure on the exact USB power specs).

You could get a little vibrating feedback motor that would work on 5v, but I feel like that would be worse than not having recoil at all.  Just my opinion.  It's your project, so experiment and figure out what's best for your needs (as if you weren't already going to :P).

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #621 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:02 pm »
Well, I kind of had a feeling about the solenoid thing. It'd guess it takes some current to actually make something that jolts in your hand.

hmmm... I like the idea of a solenoid for feedback though....

Grrr. Gotta think on this a bit.

drventure

• Offline Offline
Re: A Mame machine in an antique buffet - A bit more Steampunk goodness
« Reply #622 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »
Finally broke down and took a day off work to get some time in. Didn't get much done, but was able to start a few things.

First, I've been collecting a bunch of misc brass and copper bits over the last few weeks.

Somehow, all that's going to magically morph into an AimTrak IR Light bar that'll rotate around to in just the right place above the monitor. Gotta do it this way because there's no easy way to attach the lightbar to the monitor frame (without mucking it up) and there's no space to directly attach it above the monitor (the lid wouldn't fold down).

This should be interesting....

First step, soldering up some of the parts...

Then I realized that most of these parts should just be able to screw together, so out comes the tap and die set...

More on that to come.

Meanwhile, back in the cab itself, I finally decided to pull the trigger on getting some of my wiring nailed down, in particular the Video cable.

First, i picked up some 1" clear vinyl tubing, split it, wrapped it around my EL wire enhanced video cable and then glued it back together with vinyl pool repair cement. That stuff actually melts the vinyl together.
You can see the end result close up here (along with a great vintage plaque I picked up ages ago, finally mounted).

Next, I used some copper pipe hangers, threaded rod and some brass flare fittings to make some stays for the cable.

Here's one mounted and ready for the cable itself

Lots of placement experimentation, drilling, insert nuts, and antique porcelain insulators later and I have this (the monitor's still not remounted, there's a few more things to take care of).

Now I gotta figure out how to set up the right side!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #623 on: March 16, 2011, 12:18:09 pm »
Man this is looking super sexy. Love the name tag, excellent touch. Glad to see it's still moving forward after the lightning strike.  :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #624 on: March 16, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »
Wow, missed this a couple of days ago it appears...*LOVE* the plaque...that is too cool and just an odds and end you picked up a while ago eh? It looks fantastic mounted, one of those little things but really fires up the imagination.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #625 on: March 16, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »
Thanks guys.
Yeah that plaque had me with the "H.A Schnackenberg".  :)

I'm collecting all the pieces now for my rotating monitor setup. That should get interesting!

In the meantime, this aimtrak stuff is proving to be a good challenge too.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #626 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
How are you finding the Aimtrack stuff with the modding? I'm considering something similar with the modded steampunk style guns, but I'm not the most technically skilled guy around and I'd hate to butcher the components with my thuggish hands. :D

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #627 on: March 16, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »
The aimtrak itself looks to be pretty simple stuff. It might get a tad more complex if you want a recoil solenoid (which I'm definitely mulling over), but that's about it.

I've already wired up a custom version of the IR emitter bar (basically just 6 IR LEDs, and 3 resistors, no big deal) and it works a treat, but in my case, I don't have a monitor glass for it to hide behind, so I've got to put the emitter bar front and center, out in the open.Sooooo it can't just look like 6 led's and a few resistors  :)

I suspect when I'm doing, I'll have to worlds most expensive Aimtrack Emitter bar (there'll certainly be enough brass and copper in the thing at any rate)!

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2011, 06:19:09 pm »
Aside from the 'because you can', what is the advantage of the recoil solenoids? I'm trying to think of the gun games I played in the arcade (VirtuaCop 2, Lethal Enforcers) and none had kick back on the guns. Was it a common thing that I just missed?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2011, 06:53:52 pm »
Aside from the 'because you can', what is the advantage of the recoil solenoids? I'm trying to think of the gun games I played in the arcade (VirtuaCop 2, Lethal Enforcers) and none had kick back on the guns. Was it a common thing that I just missed?
Time Crisis had guns with recoil, and it was awesome.
Time Crisis arcade machine

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »
I think it's more of just a "Wow that's kinda cool that the gun kicks" thing than being particularly true to any games.

But it's also some extra work, plus you gotta get 12v to the gun, so you can't use a standard USB cable...

Grrrrr

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #631 on: March 18, 2011, 05:39:39 am »
I think it's more of just a "Wow that's kinda cool that the gun kicks" thing than being particularly true to any games.

But it's also some extra work, plus you gotta get 12v to the gun, so you can't use a standard USB cable...

Grrrrr

I wonder if you can source the metal sheath that regular arcade guns used around their cords.. That would probably give you the room to feed USB through it as well as a +12V/GND pair on heavier gauge wire.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #632 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:55 am »
hmmm, true. I'll have to do some looking. I was also hoping to come up with some disconnects at the gun so that they could stand "on their own" so to speak without a long cable hanging off.

Lots of experimenting to do there...

lokesen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2013, 12:17:33 pm
    • WeeCade & Project MAME
« Reply #633 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:54 pm »
This is so facinating. I really love your project man!
Weecade, Nanocade, Verticade, Project MAME and Taitorama

More to come...

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #634 on: March 22, 2011, 05:46:35 am »
Still digging to find where you can find the mating end of the connector... but the J1708 connector in heavy-duty vehicles has a nice twist-on action, and is available in 6 or 9 pins:

http://www.ocp.com/product_search/search_product_detail.php?item_num=11760-03-150

Pre-made cables are likely to be a little more expensive (since these are design for doing automotive diagnostic), but I'll bet you can find the male/female connectors somewhere and build your own cable.. put a nice cloth sheath over it or something.

Here's another connector with a clip in action, available in different pin numbers:
http://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-connectors.asp?selectedDelimiter=6&Series=DT
They sell mating pairs.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #635 on: March 22, 2011, 07:29:49 pm »
@Lokesen Thanks!

@cotmm68030 Interesting connectors. I'll going to dig around those sites and see what they have. Part of my prob is that I'm not sure what to even call these things. For instance,the cable. "Armored Cable", "Arcade gun cable", "kiosk cable", "vandal proof" "vandal resistant". Haven't turned up much...

BTW, Does you handle imply a motorola processor by chance or something else? I cut my teeth coding assembly on a 6502, so the motorola instruction set brings back memories<g>

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #636 on: March 22, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
Yup, I grew up on an Amiga 2000 with a 25Mhz 68030, so some time around 1996 I took m68030 as a handle on IRC. Later on when I started writing music I took the name "Children of the Monkey Machine" to release music under. Eventually I combined the two on IRC to have a single handle. Check my sig for music (:

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:42 am
« Reply #637 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:08 am »
Looking better and better with every update!  Awesome!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #638 on: March 23, 2011, 09:50:33 pm »
Thanks! Just checked out the skeeball update. Sounds like you're coming along about as fast as I am  :)

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #639 on: March 24, 2011, 07:15:28 pm »
Dear Dr Venture,

Where the heck do you find all of this awesome stuff? The name plates, the whoosits and whatfoozles, and slick brass bits? I scour the local shops here for similar stuff, but all I can find are antique stores that want antique prices. Not to mention I'd feel a little guilty tearing apart a working 19-something radio just for some knobs on my arcade machine.

Sincerely,
Benevolance