Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A Mame machine in an antique buffet - USB probs solved (I think!)  (Read 202601 times)

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: A Mame machine in an antique buffet
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2009, 03:45:27 pm »
Hey BillyGoatfeet

Thanks! Yeah it's supposed to look a little "worn around the edges", but not too much so.

I'm trying for a "Built in an alternative 1850's" looks when the 1850's was about 10 years back, so I'm shooting for worn, but not completely worn out, rusted up and beat to hell.

And decently maintained. That's why I'm actually polishing most of the brass and copper to some degree (though it won't be "fresh off the showroom floor" shining.

I'm with you on the CP. I had thought about putting a little more design work on it, and had actually played with it a bit, but it just ended up seeming "too much" so I wiped all that back off.

Hopefully, all this clear enamel will end up just chipping off. It's going that way so far anyways.

Billy_Goatfeet

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:02 am »

Yep, I agree, clean design is nice.  The enamel wearing off would be cool too!  Awesome project dude!!

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2009, 09:39:49 pm »
Yikes....

I finally got a chance to setup Future Pinball on the buffet tonight and, well, it's not looking good.

Mame runs perfectly fine with the onboard video (essentially nVidia GForce 8200 with 512mg ram), but FP just chokes.

Full detail runs at 10fps (yes, 10  :'( )

That sucks.

And minimal detail mode only runs at 16fps. I'd always heard MAME doesn't take advantage of the graphics card power, but I'm guessing FP takes as much advantage of it as possible  :-\

Guess I'm going to have to pick up a higher end video card card now. Grrr. Well, I suppose it was inevitable anyway, if I was going to hook up the external Touchscreen for a jukebox eventually.

And yuck. I forgot just how much of a pain it is to setup a table in ArcadeRender mode for FP. And you gotta do EACH TABLE! Ack!

And, seriously, Scroll lock, plus 8-4-6-2, plus DEL to speed up the movement!?!?!

Mr. Leathley definitely knows his 3-D, but that UI? Ugh.

Oh, well, enough bitchin'.

Back to scraping all this clearcoat off the CP now....

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2009, 11:12:21 am »
Got a few new pics to share

Way back when, Dash Rendar suggested a Spark Adjuster as something that might look interesting.

Well, I found the balls for it  ;) . Here's a shot with one half of one ball still not polished (They were pretty bad off, originally were drawer pulls from a huge armoire)

Get a few more brass bits, and maybe some carbon fiber tubing or something similar, and I'll have my own spark adjuster. Not sure I I can actually make em spark though  :)

Since I hooked up the polishing wheel to my drillpress, I've been able to polish a lot more stuff, a lot quicker. So I started working in earnest on the gas lamp that'll go on.

I picked up a box load of old (I mean OLD) gas lamp parts off ebay from some guy in NY. They were totally crusted, burnt, tarnished, etc.

I disassembled them, started polishing the parts up and then drilled out the gas lines so I can run power cord to a little 10watt flicker bulb I'll mount in it.

What's funny is that all the threads on the gas lamp mate perfectly with modern mounting flanges and light sockets I'll use to convert it. No rethreading necessary (at least not yet).

And finally, the sad part. I debated even posting this pic, cause I'm afraid it's going to end up on crap mame, but, I'll post anyway in hopes that it serves as a warning for any future cab builders that get the bright idea to spray clean enamel on formica to protect it.

Yeah, it's bad, though the flash makes it look even worse.

See the finger prints? Everywhere where me or my daughter touched the surface has hazed to this chalky white. And what's worse, those spots didn't just discolor. The clear has actually separated from the surface so in those spots, it'll just flake right off.

You can see where I've started scraping it off. Of course doing that shoots flakes of clear coat everywhere, and even with a vacuum running, it's HIGHLY staticy, so it sticks to everything and won't vacuum up.

In short, a big friggin mess, but, so far, one that I think I can correct without completely redoing the CP.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2009, 11:22:02 am »
Do you have the parts laying around to do another CP?  IE spare formica offcuts and MDF? It shouldn't take you too long to redo it. Im thinking the re-stamping would be the hardest?

Or maybe this time do the stamping over paint then enamel. Another option...paint, stamp and then very think plexi.  

Then again...it does have a certain "dusty" charm to it hehe...almost like you pulled it out of an attic rather than off the assembly line! ;)

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:51 pm »
Ok, one more quick post. I've been playing around with this whole idea of using an old MP3 player to play some kind of audio track WHILE the cabinet boots up. Totally frivolous, I realize, but then, isn't it all  :)

Anyway, here's the MP3 version of the boot track as it is right now. Remember, the whole thing turns on using a great big chunking knife switch, hence the sounds at the start.

It trails on a little long (about 60 seconds right now) but that’s so that I can fine tune the final length to match exactly how long it takes to get into the actual front end from a cold boot. The time actually will be around 45 secs or so.

At that point, mala would take over and theoretically play the startup video.

In reality, I'll probably need to adjust this boottrack to mesh into whatever the start up vid ends up being.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »
@Epyx
Yeah, my wife actually had the same comment "It's +supposed+ to look old and beat up right?" , but this is not quite the look I was going for.

I don't think I'll have to rebuild anything. Worst case, I have to use thinner on the formica and it takes up all the stamping, and I have to redo ALL of it (that's pretty likely anyway, but I'm hoping maybe not).

Here's something new. (I posted parts of this in the main forum as well, for everyone else's benefit. Hope that's ok)

Has anyone played with the Mimo 720S Touchscreen

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-S

It's USB powered (right, a single USB cable over to it), small 7" or so, and is a touchscreen. Works like a regular monitor

Here's a shot from Scott Hanselman's blog about it, extends the desktop just like a regular monitor

The non touchscreen version is 130$, the touchscreen is 220$ so it's not a steal, but that's pretty slick for an all in one solution

This would be completely PERFECT for the victorian framed touchscreen I was planning on putting on top of the buffet when it's all closed down (to allow control of the jukebox when everything's all closed up)

Not sure when I'll get around to picking one up but if anyone does, please let me know your impressions.

Benevolance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2009, 01:25:52 pm »
Ah, hells yeah.

I'm currently turning an old 1930s standing radio (it was gutted when I bought it - I didn't kill it, honest!) into a hidden media centre/mame machine. I've been stymied by what to do with the monitor. Right now I'm running an HDMI cable to our projector, but that's not wholly convenient. Having the monitor in a picture frame on top would be a good option. $220 is a little steep for a touch screen, but I can probably make do with a non-touch option.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2009, 01:47:23 pm »
Cool. Sounds like a great project. Have you got a thread with any pics yet? I'd love to check it out.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2009, 04:00:02 pm »
Actually, it didn't occur to me to start one, since it wasn't directly Mame related. But maybe I should? :P

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2009, 04:13:36 pm »
Well, I'd be interested in it. And some of the techniques you use would be applicable to a mame cab, I'd guess.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:29 pm »
Ah, hells yeah.

I'm currently turning an old 1930s standing radio (it was gutted when I bought it - I didn't kill it, honest!) into a hidden media centre/mame machine. I've been stymied by what to do with the monitor. Right now I'm running an HDMI cable to our projector, but that's not wholly convenient. Having the monitor in a picture frame on top would be a good option. $220 is a little steep for a touch screen, but I can probably make do with a non-touch option.

I'm doing something very similar. My brother bought one like this for parts and gave me the empty cabinet. It's in pretty rough shape right now but hopefully I'll be able to restore the finish on the cabinet.

Encryptor

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »
That could be an fantastic cabinet/jukebox/something.

I love that style of radio/furniture.

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2009, 08:11:39 pm »
That is very similar to the one I am using!

I plan to add some discrete external USB jacks to the radio shell, to plug in a SNES usb hack. It will make playing my Nintendo and Super Nintendo games more fun. I enjoy playing them on the arcade but...I miss the original controls.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:16 pm »
Very nice! I wish mine was in that kind of shape. I don't have any pics of mine. The one above I pulled from the net. Mine is missing some veneer in spots and the original finish is worn and peeling on most of the cabinet. Mine will be just a jukebox. I'm keeping my eye out for a monitor small enough to fit on the window where the dial used to be. The glass dial was the part my brother bought it for so it's missing. I think it will work well if I can find one to fit in there.

Encryptor

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
Ah that would explain it. When I saw that pic, I thought, damn, that's pretty nice to be considered in "bad shape"  :)

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2009, 05:56:48 pm »
Just picked up a cool little tidbit for my marquee  :) ....

Should go nice with the old glass phone pole insulators I picked up a few days ago at a local junk shop.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2009, 06:54:07 pm »
I too have one of those old gutted radios I want to turn into a media center/jukebox, so post the info and Pics
I mean look at mountains Juke it's not Mame related and it's one of the most popular threads on here

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2009, 01:22:56 pm »
Yay!

A cheap bench grinder finally popped up on craigslist

A TaskForce 6" with a light

Certainly not a high end grinder, but I plan to use it mainly for a little shaping, grinding off screws and for polishing stuff.

And for 15$. I won't feel bad for tossing it if it only lasts through a few projects  :)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2009, 03:07:04 pm »

:cry:

Oh dang! I'd not checked this thread in a while. How'd this clean up? I agree it looks nice and weathered and steampunkish, but I can totally see how it's not the type of weathering you'd be going for. I know I wouldn't be happy with calling a mistake a "good" alternative to actually getting the look you were going for.

Totally sucks though that you have to redo all that stamping. That looks like it was extremely time consuming and tedious. But the end result is amazing. Hopefully it's not too much trouble to get it back to normal.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2009, 07:57:38 pm »
Hey Ryglore

Yeah, I just can't leave that as it is. Yeah, I could "say" it was intentional, but it really looks pretty bad.

I'm a little farther along with the cleanup, but I've gotten sidetracked into fabricated a copper and brass frame for the monitor and mounting all the embellishments and adornments (not to mention my "marquee", I gotta figure out how to steam bend some walnut, but Bender got me hooked up on an idea for that...)

I even took today off, but made almost no headway <sigh>.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »
Ya, I know all about getting side tracked. There have been times where I had been working on one section  of my build and then jumped to another section entirly for no good reason.

Personally I liked how it looked when it was clean and unweathered. But that kinda defeats the idea of it being an antique buffet....

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »
Just read another thread here about a little gizmo I'd never heard of before

the ARFX light effects module

http://www.arfx.nl/index.php?main_page=index

Whoa! Since my monitor is hanging out in front of the backing board of my cab (yeah, it's kinda weird that way), something like this could totally work for me!

This and those AimTrak modules and it'll be one hell of a christmas!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:19 pm »
Oooh nice! That's dead sexy for sure.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2009, 10:48:28 am »
I finally got up a 3 man game yesterday to try out the player 3 and 4 positions.

The fact that I angled the sticks.... Nothing bad one way or the other. It actually felt pretty natural for them to be angled.

The fact that I used MagSticks and didn't spring for 2 more u360's.... Ugh. Shoulda got the u360s.

Granted, i wouldn't consider myself a purist in any sense of the term. I loved the games growing up, but was never competitive or anything like that.

But the u360's just "feel" so much better. The magsticks do have a shorter throw and the "clicky" nature of them is certainly more old-school, but, boy, if I find myself playing positions 3 or 4 much, I'll be upgrading those sticks!

Live and learn

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2009, 11:27:18 am »
I finally got up a 3 man game yesterday to try out the player 3 and 4 positions.

The fact that I angled the sticks.... Nothing bad one way or the other. It actually felt pretty natural for them to be angled.

The fact that I used MagSticks and didn't spring for 2 more u360's.... Ugh. Shoulda got the u360s.

Granted, i wouldn't consider myself a purist in any sense of the term. I loved the games growing up, but was never competitive or anything like that.

But the u360's just "feel" so much better. The magsticks do have a shorter throw and the "clicky" nature of them is certainly more old-school, but, boy, if I find myself playing positions 3 or 4 much, I'll be upgrading those sticks!

Live and learn

If you look at my post history, you will find that until this post, I was in full support of angled P3&4 sticks. That is how they are installed on my cab. It was after testing them in that position, and it felt completely natural. I also never got any complaints from anyone else.

Recently though, after a few years, I was in the player 3 position, and I hated it. For some reason the angle now bothers me. My brain kept wanting it to match the position of the screen.    :dunno

Maybe it was because at the time the whole cab was new to me, and regardless of the position I easily adapted. After playing so long at player 1 though, it has conditioned me to see up as toward the TV.  ???

I have definitely changed my stance on angled sticks, and would never place them that way again.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:28:53 am by versapak »

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2009, 12:02:39 pm »
Good point. Muscle memory could definitely be a factor after a while (what you get used to and all...)

I know when I've had to switch from a keyboard with a wide backspace key to on with a small backspace key, it takes a while for my fingers to readjust.

I could easily see that with sticks too.

You know though. I was thinking about it. If I put u360's in those spots, I'd just have to change the map for them. No rerouting the mounting plates or anything.

Yet another argument for u360's (now, justifying that to the "boss" might be a tad more difficult  :) )

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2009, 02:32:50 pm »
(now, justifying that to the "boss" might be a tad more difficult  :) )

Ah the joys of working for one self.  ;)

Benevolance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2009, 02:43:00 pm »
Spending a lot of time with Ms. Palm and her five sisters, Ryglore? :D

How are the U360s for fighting games? Are they very responsive? I've got Happ 49 way, with the GGG upgrade grommet. The new grommet was a huge improvement over the base Happ model, but the joysticks still have terrible action. They re-center sluggishly, and getting through a lot of fast-reponse games is more an art than a science as a result. I'd like to upgrade. I top-mounted my joysticks beneath my artwork and screwed it in place, so whatever joysticks I replace my Happ 49s with will still have a good, long throw.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2009, 03:13:50 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of the fighting genre, so I'd really be the last person to weigh in on that.

But they sure are fantastic for all the games I usually play.

I've never quite understood the long throw/short throw debate. Guess it's just personal taste. The 360's seem to have a fairly long throw to me, much longer than the magsticks anyway. But I can't say that I really like one over the other, not yet anyway. If I had to choose, i'd probably say I prefer the short throw over the long.

But then, maybe it's just the fact that the 360's can register a movement without necessarily requiring a full swing of the stick that makes them "feel" short throw, even though physically, they can move a lot farther.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2009, 04:44:30 pm »
Spending a lot of time with Ms. Palm and her five sisters, Ryglore? :D

Not really. But I just don't have to answer to anyone about buying things, which is nice. Thus the reason I am taking perfectly good Happ Super sticks and making custom ball tops. :P

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2009, 05:06:55 pm »
BTW, I love the way the shmup arcade is coming together. Esp all the painted artwork. Nice cab!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2009, 05:27:30 pm »
Thanks man, I'm sure it wouldn't be as nice as it is if I hadn't been directed to the BYOAC. Really all these awesome projects  have pushed me to try my best and challenge myself even more.... sure the joysticks are fine as is... but what's the fun in that? Sure a coin door is cool, but it's even cooler recessed into a slanted surface, with working slots that actually take tokens. If I didn't have awesome projects like this one to look up to and challenge myself to be as good as, I'd have a PC in a box and some buttons. ha

Your cab is amazing, it looks like it belongs in the Nautilus right next to Captain Nemo's organ. Great work, really.  :cheers:

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2009, 11:17:54 pm »
Ok. Completely NOT about my cab, but just saw this sign at some site and laughed ---my bottom--- off. Reminded me of that Bacon thread (that I can't find now).

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:02 pm »
Hey Ryglore. That's pretty good  :) Gotta love bacon!

Here's a riddle...

What am I prototyping?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #236 on: October 29, 2009, 12:08:41 am »
Hey Ryglore. That's pretty good  :) Gotta love bacon!

Here's a riddle...

What am I prototyping?

An automatic unfolding system using a series of ropes and pulleys.

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: October 29, 2009, 12:45:17 am »
Good guess. I've been watching that Defender cab thread pretty closely. Awesome design, that.

But this is what +might+ turn into my version of a rotating monitor setup.

I've got a bead on some brass pulleys, grandfather clock wire, old motorcycle transmission gears, and, possibly, the worlds cheapest pseudo linear actuator.

With any luck, I'll end up with a wonderfully Rube Goldberg-ian contraption!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #238 on: October 29, 2009, 12:51:20 am »
Hehe awesome, would be cool if you could pull that off.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2009, 12:55:32 am »
Yeah, I've gotten myself stoked again on this build. Fixing the cp will still be a pain, but I'd been struggling to come up with a  good way to rotate the monitor. And I think I've now got something!

I just need about 2 weeks of vacation days  :-\