Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dream features for a new PCI-e card for arcade games?  (Read 19059 times)

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: Dream features for a new PCI-e card for arcade games?
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:54 pm »
Well if there's gonna be other outputs for video, audio and controls than the JAMMA edge, perhaps adding a power input (4 pin ATX power input or a +5V only?) on the card makes sense as it could then be hooked up to a modern screen and game controllers like a very small but super powerful gaming console without the use of a JAMMA cabinet? I can't imagine a sexier piece of hardware than a

completely DRM free gaming platform
running on a small power supply and
outputting low res AND possibly high res (at least 480p) graphics
without lagging controls or 30fps video.

:cheers:

John Blund

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2012, 03:03:24 pm
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »
Well if there's gonna be other outputs for video, audio and controls than the JAMMA edge, perhaps adding a power input (4 pin ATX power input or a +5V only?) on the card makes sense as it could then be hooked up to a modern screen and game controllers like a very small but super powerful gaming console without the use of a JAMMA cabinet? I can't imagine a sexier piece of hardware than a

completely DRM free gaming platform
running on a small power supply and
outputting low res AND possibly high res (at least 480p) graphics
without lagging controls or 30fps video.

:cheers:

Well I think it is possible to generate Full HD in 60p with this system or even higher resolutions. Well I should see what I can do. The biggest problem is probably to make people program games for your system. And I don't know how to overcome that. But one possible solution to that, is to make it run games from all kinds of platforms. But what else?

And you would be able to make games rock solid for this machine with zero latency. The simple reason for that, is you can make anything 100% predictable. Every little detail could run in it's own processor or custom logic.

I' have been looking into how to turn it stand alone later on, I will see what I can come up with. But any ideas is welcome, just like your thoughts. But I have a solution for powering it up for a low cost.   

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:19 am »
Not sure if it's been mentioned again, but having only a VGA output is seriously limiting options for some setups, especially mini desktop cabinets which usually use composite or S-Video only LCD panels. Having DVI-D would also be great because VGA sucks. And yes I realize the irony of that statement after asking for composite and S-Video outputs.  ;D

And about the whole "automated" cabinets with rotating screens, dynamic marquees, auto 4/8-way joysticks, lighted buttons, etc... keep it simple.

For example, dynamic marquees can vary in aspect ratio, in resolution, in color depth, etc. Dynamic joysticks may not be limited to 4/8-way, etc.

So as I said above, just send the ROM filename on a serial port or SPI pins or something, the external peripherals controllers will take care of their own stuff with their own internal settings for each ROM filename. It's future-proof, upgrade-proof and allows all kinds of customizations.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:42:25 am by Yvan256 »

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:25 am »
Interesting project...

[subscribe]

r0d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2012, 08:34:14 am
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
Long time lurker here, with new account, so I'm aware I don't have any credits yet and this might be seen as funny moment to unburrow.

However, if you're keeping stats, I'm willing to spend up to and maybe more than the upper limit of the budget that was mentioned.

I could be tempted to fork up part in advance if needed for prototyping.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 11:59:19 am »
I would hold up on talking money until there is a prototype, schematics, or at least until the design and idea is vetted by a known EE.

Also, a question to the moderators.  The logged IP from users at the bottom right, do you ever compare it with other users to see if they are clones?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:53:30 am by MacGyver »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2012, 06:49:46 am »
I met with John Blund this week (we live in the same town) and we had a long chat about this. He will be receiving the hardware this will a be based on on Monday I think. Hopefully he'll have some news to share soon.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:29 am »
I really want to bump this thread to see what - if any - progress has been made on this project. Really sounded interesting.