Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wattage for desoldering?  (Read 4809 times)

Spaz Monkey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
Wattage for desoldering?
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »
Long story short, have a Killer Instict board, jackass who I asked to wire the board into a multi-board system removed the pins for the kick harness and soldered the wires directly into the holes.  Wires have broken I have solder filled holes.  I'm trying to use a 15w iron with a desoldering braid, but it seems that the solder doesn't want to flow.  Should I go for a higher watt iron over at Radio Shack or what?

edit: Yes I am putting the braid over the hole and then the iron on top of that.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: Wattage for desoldering?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:27:01 pm »
If you're going to buy a tool specially for this, the little 40W thing with built in vacuum bulb radio shack sells does work fairly well, though don't expect to use it for more than a few projects (it'll get clogged).

Generally for desoldering things that aren't in large planes or have good thermal reliefs, 30W is a minimum, with 45-75W temp controlled being good.  For large planes, 50W seems to be a bare minimum, with 75W often inadequate.  I had to use the iron plus a heat gun to swap out a power jack on somebody's laptop mobo recently.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:26:09 am »
15W is going to be a little low.

Try flowing some new solder onto the spot you want to desolder.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:09:34 am »
As said, higher wattage, add solder, don't use braid!  Use a sucker.  You want to pump that plug right out of there.

And what ass removed the freaking harness? 

Spaz Monkey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:25:59 pm »
Like I said, long story short.  Don't know why the [self-censored]s just didn't solder the wires directly to the exposed pins, or even modify a CPS kick harness, but that's why they're [self-censored]s and why they don't have a shop in Sacramento.

Should I get a higher watt iron with a "pencil tip" and just poke through the hole, or should I use a separate handheld sucker and use a "flat tip" on the iron?  All I have is the 15watt iron and I assume that 15watts is generally not enough power for soldering/re-soldering things back on?

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

newbee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2009, 01:56:27 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 11:42:49 am »
 A 35 to 50 watt solder iron would work, however, be carful that you are using a proper sized solder tip for your work.
 A good solder sucker, purchased from an electronic supply house, would be a good idea.
 If any of the solder pads are lifted from the pc board, there are pad repair kits available, to repair your board.

richms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:01:34 am »
Buying a fixed wattage iron is like getting a stereo with no volume control.

If you think you will be doing any soldering in the future more advanced then putting a 6.3mm plug on a guitar cable then you owe it to yourself to get a temperature controlled station. Braid or wick will not really clean a plated thru hole since it cant draw the solder off the inside surface, a pump or bulb are needed for that to be easy. It can be done, but you may end up cooking the board too much in the process.

Otherwise take it to a local small time repair place and talk to a tech with some liquid credit and ask them to do it.