Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wall Mounted Juke  (Read 5215 times)

bratwurst

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
Wall Mounted Juke
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:11:45 pm »
I made a poker table, now I'm finally taking a leap into rounding out the room with some projects that fit this forum.  This first one is taking a long time because its just way too freaking cold to be working on this kind of thing right now.

I have been thinking of doing a knievel klone "woody" cabinet for playing old school games for a while but decided it might be a good idea to tackle something a little less ambitious first to get my feet wet. I thought a jukebox to have in my basement during card games might be a cool addition so I started looking around for ideas and software.

I saw this jukebox project on the main examples page, which was modeled after the mameroom plan and came up with my own sketches. I did not plan for speakers in the cabinet, as I'm going to put some bookshelf speakers up on corner shelves. I also am putting a door on the front for easy access to the inside guts instead of a small slot on the side. There is a french cleat where the screen opening is to make hanging it up easy and strong. Most of the joints we've done so far are rabbet and dados, so the little thats done took a while.  The wood brace holding up the LCD is held in place with pocket screws.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of artwork to use for the marquee still.

I'm using SK Jukebox software. Machine is an old p4 running windows 2000. I've only got a 40 GB drive in there, going to up it to 80 GB soon. I've spent a ton of time ripping CDs and organizing the albums already.  As of right now, there are over 130 CDs on my juke machine.

The "control panel" diagram is below as well, which will have Happ regular pushbuttons, and the Happ illuminated triangles as well for shifting between pages.  I'm using an ipac2 for wiring up the buttons.

Here's some in progress pictures, like I said might be months before I get this thing done since its so freaking cold. They're not focused all that great and I should have taken a picture from behind to show the rabbet joints a little better...

Control panel button layout plan

More to come as progress is made...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:36:40 pm by bratwurst »

GadgetGeek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
Re: Wall Mounted Juke
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:55:30 pm »
Looks good and keep the pictures coming.

Just as an idea on the arrow buttons.  If you don't want to spring for expensive arrow buttons, give some thought to using standard buttons and using arrows on the artwork. (did that make sense).  What I'm trying to say, put a big arrow on the artwork, and put the standard round button in the middle of the arrow.

Being a fan of joinery, care to provide any closeups of any you are proud of?  Such as the pocket screws on the monitor bracket.

Thanks

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:43:35 pm »
I'm working with a pal on this, so I can't take the credit for all the joinery but I'll try to get some better pictures of them and post.  The box is sitting in his garage right now so it will be a while.

I originally was going to use just normal round pushbuttons because of price but my wife actually told me to damn the torpedos and order the more expensive triangle buttons.  So being a good obedient husband, I didn't question her logic and immediately placed the order.

I've got all the buttons and an ipac all ready to go, just need to get the control panel drilled to accept the buttons.  I was thinking of getting the vinyl labels made to put the numbers on top of the 0-9 buttons.

GadgetGeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 09:48:16 pm »
For the vinyl labels, I think it is Mike Deuce here on the forums that has some that everyone raves over.

Good call on listening to the Mrs.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:43:31 pm »
We did some more work on the juke today, mostly control panel stuff.  Drilled holes for the buttons on the control panel and put some wood cleats on to attach the control panel to the box.  I did a little bit of sanding today too.  I still need to figure out a bezel/marquee and cut out the front cabinet door.

So new pics:  First is the control panel as it will sit in the box with the holes cut and triangles chiseled out for all the buttons.  I also took a couple pictures of the back to show the rabbet joints.  The top of the juke is actually a stop dado, and the piece right below the top has a 45 degree angle cut for use as a french cleat to hang up easily on the wall.

French cleat and stop dado:

Here's the control panel with all the buttons in place - I had to test out the fit.  The bottom nuts barely fit!  They're pretty much touching.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 12:42:24 am »
Nice job on the joints.  What's with the numbered buttons?  Song selection?

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 11:54:58 am »
Correct, the numbered buttons are for song selection.  All the songs are input to SK Jukebox via numbered codes.  The triangles go back and forth through album pages.  Four albums show on the screen at once.

I have roughly 130 albums loaded right now, so it takes 5 numbers to enter a song into the playlist.  The first 3 numbers are for the album, then the fourth and fifth are the song number. 

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:59:25 pm »
Awesome job so far.  :cheers:
I plan on building a very similar jukebox based on the mameroom designs plans. I love pocket holes. Super easy and super strong.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 11:08:25 pm »
This project has been moving ultra slowly.  I work on it maybe every third weekend for an hour or so.

So I've finished the staining and poly steps.  I used minwax gunstock and three coats of satin polyurethane.  Just tonight I soldered all the wiring for the buttons.  Only the second time I've used a soldering iron, and the first time was in 6th grade, which was back in 1988.  Sheesh thats a long time ago!  So be nice with the mess I made.  I just hope it works, I'm going to go turn it all on for the first time in a few minutes.

The control panel, bezel, and cabinet front are not actually fixed in place yet. I still need to affix that stuff permanently, and I have a couple euro hinges I need to put on the cabinet door still.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to put the marquee in place.

Note - The color of the stain is not nearly as redish orange as it looks in these pictures.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:51:40 pm by bratwurst »

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 12:15:44 am »
I just programed the ipac - it works!  I can't freaking believe it!

Now I just need to mount the mobo, power supply, permanently affix control panel and cab door.  Then figure out what the hell I'm going to do for a marquee.  I'm so psyched!

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:22:56 am »
Its alive!

Jukebox running...

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:57:22 am »
Are you going to amplify the sound?  You have plenty of room in the bottom for a beefy amp.  I'm using a 230 watt Pioneer in my driving cab I picked up a pawn shop for $50.  Just a thought.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:01:00 am »
The basement at my place is fairly small, so I'm not sure I need one.

For now I probably will not use anything that powerful.  I picked up a pair of Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1's that I'm probably going to use and just plug direct into the sound card.

If I went the other route and used an amp and a reciever I have a pair of vintage Klipsch speakers I might use, they're really old and in walnut cabs.  Really nice.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 10:24:01 pm »
I'm up to the labeling of the buttons!  Big shout out to Pongo, as the labels are very well done and I couldn't be happier with the product.  He gave me a bunch of options and I can't decide which labels to use!

So I'm looking for some advice on this part.  I started adding labels to the buttons tonight.  I made a decision on which to use, and about halfway through I started second guessing it.  So I thought I'd post here and see what you guys thought.

See the pic below - the labels I was using for the white buttons are black circles with a number cut out inside it.  I also have just straight black numbers that will show more of the white button.  Should I continue to use the black circles, or just the numbers?  The straight numbers are shown in the pic.

I also have used white lettering on three of the other buttons.  I can use the black circles with letters, or just black letters like the white ones that are shown on the buttons in the picture.  I also have options for the enter key.

Tell me what you think would look best.  

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:31:31 am by bratwurst »

Pongo

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2015, 10:19:54 am
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 10:47:17 pm »
Glad you like them.

I knew I shouldn't have given you all those options though! :)

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 10:52:53 pm »
yeah they're really easy to apply, which is A++++ in my book

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 11:01:33 pm »
Anyone have a clue how to mount a marquee on this thing?  I'm clueless.

Here's the marquee I'm going to print:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 09:50:08 am »
Nice job!  I think you need an L-bracket for the top and a Z-bracket for the bottom.  Cut a piece of each the length of your marquee, spray paint them black (or whatever color you like) and screw them down with the marquee and plexiglass in place.  Easy!

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 09:58:08 am »
Whats a z bracket?

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 10:31:54 pm »
Not sure you even need a z bracket.  Check out my quick sketch - side view with the left side panel removed.  I'm not sure if the front of the monitor bezel and the front of the top is even, but you could move the bottom bracket in or out a bit to help compensate.

Rick
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 04:32:33 pm »
Long time no follow up....

Jukebox is finished, working, and mounted on the wall.  Just need to hide the cords with some raceway.

I mounted some Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's on the wall too with brackets from the manufacturer.

Now I just need to throw a poker game so it gets used by someone other than me!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:20 pm »
Good job!
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

PS Im in for a poker game, but I dont know how to play.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:19:56 pm by DaOld Man »

Games001

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 12:44:04 am
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 09:36:50 am »
An excellent job.  Well done.

Do you have any 'guts' pics of the PC setup and speakers inside the juke base?

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 05:56:13 pm »
An excellent job.  Well done.

Do you have any 'guts' pics of the PC setup and speakers inside the juke base?

here's the "guts".  The door is removed from the hinges on the left in this picture to better show what it looks like inside.  The speakers are mounted directly on the wall.

prezo1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2020, 07:45:03 pm
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:17 am »
how did you wire the buttons up to your keyboard.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
He is using an Ipac from www.ultimarc.com.  It is called an encoder.   :afro:

prezo1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2020, 07:45:03 pm
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 04:45:32 pm »
hi mccoy.im new to all this so please bare with me.im building a touch screen my self but now i have seen this with buttons it looks a lot better.are they easy to wire up and how do you program each button or does it automaticly recognise what its ment to do.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 06:56:40 pm »
Hello and welcome!  I am going to point you towards the byoac wiki.  It will give you all the answers you need.  I mean no offense, but you are asking about one of the most basic and essential parts of our hobby.  Please visit the ultimarc site or check out the wiki, as they can provide tons of info.  The product basically hooks up to the computer through usb.  You wire your button directly to an input on the encoder by using wires and it in turn tells the computer that each time that particular button is pressed, it is the same as pressing a particular button on a keyboard.  That way the computer thinks it is a keyboard and that is how it works.  You program the software to see that particular key on the keyboard to be maybe a credit or a selection or something.  Very simple to learn once you get started.  Hope that helps! :cheers: