Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mystery Machine - Project Announcement  (Read 14745 times)

shrunkenmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
Mystery Machine - Project Announcement
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:15:51 am »
Thought I'd share my UK-based Mystery Machine with you. I've included a couple of links here for other UK-based peeps, as it's harder to find good suppliers here. Unfortunately I didn't take any construction pics, but feel free to ask any questions....

Basic Parts

3/4" MDF cab, sides covered in Fablon sticky plastic (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/vinyldepot-retail/)
Black T-molding, £20 (http://uk.geocities.com/dennis_hannah@btopenworld.com)
NSL P4/3.20Ghz Tower PC (running XP), £36 Ebay
Panasonic 26" TV, £20 local free paper
Plexiglass bezel, marquee & CPO, £25 local plastics shop
Logitech S220 2.1 speakers, £15 Ebay
Flourescent strip light, £8 Wickes
Smartstrip thing, £12 local shop
Triple blue LED, £5 Maplin
Castors,  £6 Ebay
Slot cutter, £17-ish Rutlands (http://www.rutlands.co.uk)
Mini-Pac, Buttons, J-Stiks, Spintrak, U-Trak, Ultimarc  :cheers:

Planning and Artwork

This project was something I've been meaning to do for years. I've accumulated a load of consoles over the years, from Atari sixers to Virtual Boys, and have always had MacMAME in my life. A chance visit to the BYOAC forums gave me the kick-start I needed, and 3 months later, it's pretty much done.

I was stuck for a theme for this cab since the beginning, and it wasn't until about 2 months into the project that the Mystery Machine came to me. It was just what I wanted - something non-game specific, and also something that didn't have MAME in the title.

After a long old hunt I found some vector graphics for Scoob & Shaggy, then added some more elements to bring them together in Illustrator. I re-traced the MM logo from a low quality JPEG and all was set for print. Unfortunately it took a local printers three attempts to output the CPO, and for some reason every time they printed the marquee it had a large feint black rectangle somewhere on it. In fact, I still need to get a new one printed. The one installed is the best of the 'reject' prints. Hmmmm.....

I also stole an old Midway logo for the machine. My nickname is Mex so the stylized "M" did the trick.

Cab Construction

For the cab, I followed the Arcade Paradise plans, with a couple of small modifications. His cab had the same TV as I had, so I knew it'd fit.

I got the 3/4" MDF sides cut at a local wood merchants. It worked out about £50 for this, but i got 2 pieces EXACTLY the same first time. I don't have a lot of workspace for things like this, so it was as much a case of neccessity as it was laziness. I got a slot cutter for the T-molding from Rutlands. Worked a treat. I found some big castors on Ebay and I would highly recommend anyone building a cab to fit castors - these things get heavy quickly!

Dennis Hannah, the T-molding man, is very helpful by the way. I had to order an extra couple of feet after the initial 20 feet  and it was no problem, with cheap postage too.

The matt-black Fablon sides went on before the black T-molding, which nicely covers the edges. The CP is also covered with this. I have to say that the Fablon looks mad nice - if you take your time and cut/fold it right it provides a smooth seam-free finish.

I got a piece of smoked plexi to cover the screen. It's great - when the machine is on you can't see the TV at all (well obviously you can see the screen), and when it's off, well, you can't see anything.

Quick note: How big is your door? I assembled this in my recording studio room, which I was fitting out at the same time, only to realise that it's too big to get out of the room. I wanted it in the room anyway, so that's all good. What's also good is that my wife can't get it out either.

Control Panel

A visit to Ultimarc proved to be the start of good relations. I opted for the Mini-PAC which gave my everything I needed to control the two J-Stiks, U-Trak, Spintrak, plus the buttons. I have to say that Andy at Ultimarc is a top guy - he helped me out on several occasions - and I have nothing but praise for the spinner and trackball.

For the plexi CPO, I got the shop guy to drill the holes for me. He only charged 50p a hole and got them all bang on, even curved the outside corners of the CPO for me for nothing! I just supplied him with a full-size black and white printout of the CPO (£2.50 at local printers) and I'd recommend this over drilling all those holes yourself. All I needed to do was fine-sandpaper the cut edges slightly.

I cut out the MDF CP holes using two hole cutters, one for the trackball and the other for everything else. Also had to route out the spaces for the J-Stiks. I still need to re-route the sticks slightly lower so I can have the dust washers under the CP.

PC/Electrical

The PC is running the MALA frontend, with MAME, Stella, Nostalgia, Daphne, CCS64, Sega M2, Colem, VisualBoyAdvance, zSnes, MESS, vPinball/PinMAME and SK Jukebox. I use VLC for playing cartoons or movies. All screensavers and MALA layouts were done in Photoshop and the marquee/CPO in Illustrator/InDesign as mentioned earlier.

CP has the standard 2 joystick, 6 button 2 player setup, with the U-Trak and SpinTrak added. I want to add a Tron cocktail cab stick in the spare CP hole on the upper right (if I ever find one!) or just a dedicated 4-way if not. There's also a pinball flipper button on each side of the CP. The trackball is lit with a 12v triple blue LED, about £5 from Maplin. It comes in a crappy metallic plastic case, but it has a PC molex connector on it, which made powering it as simple as can be.

PC, speakers, marquee and LEDs all kick in with one main switch (a standard arcade button extended from the PC's front on/off switch) courtesy of a Smart Strip thing. The Panasonic TV always turns back on to the last used channel, ideal for this project.

The cheap & cheerful Logitech speakers are loud enough and the sub provides enough boom. It's got a great wired remote control for volume, which along with the main cab power switch is hidden under the CP ledge. The cab is actually in my recording studio so i can always plug it into my that system if I ever want to hear crap 8-bit sounds through pristine monitors ;)

To Finish

Print a new marquee.
Find a little Tron cocktail cab stick for the spare hole on the upper right of the CPO, anyone help here? I keep missing out.
Wait for Happ coin door and wire up credit buttons.
Re-mount joysticks to hide dust washers.
Cover lower front panels with Fablon.
Side art.
Marble Madness.

I thoroughly enjoyed this project and learnt a lot of new skills. I've always been a Mac user (well, AtarI ST and Commodore 64 before!) and I honestly thought using a PC would be difficult. It was an experience, I can tell you, although once you learn where XP puts things, it ain't all that bad  ;D

Thanks to this forum for answering so many questions, providing the inspiration and for showing real community spirit. And thanks Ecryptor. That tron restrictor sure is good for my Xenophobe stick mod - but that's another project....

Ian aka Mex
http://www.black-grass.com
http://myspace.com/blackgrassmusic

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:58:47 am by shrunkenmaster »

needlesmcgirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2009, 10:54:31 pm
Re: Mystery Machine - Project Announcement
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:24:48 am »
Great work man!  Matches the curtains!

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:35:37 am »
Great work man!  Matches the curtains!

Cheers! For a first attempt, I'm really happy with it. Original 70's curtains - £3.00 - good old Ebay!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:12 am »
Awesome job! Nice to see some UK skillz!  :)  :applaud:

Are you intending to put a coin door in eventually or do you just have the relief to access the PC? If its the latter maybe you could get a black ATX case to replace the cream one?

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2020, 12:38:05 pm
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:12 am »

Are you intending to put a coin door in eventually or do you just have the relief to access the PC? If its the latter maybe you could get a black ATX case to replace the cream one?

I have to agree... throw a coin door in for access but other than that, I LOVE THE ART!!!

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:38:10 am »
I really love the way the smoked plexi looks!  Do you recall what level of tint it has?

Great job on the cab!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

HairyDVD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2015, 06:58:50 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:50:18 am »
How easy was it to apply the plastic to the mdf.  I was going to laminate mine, but i am having trouble finding someone who stocks it at a reasonable price.

What side plastic did you get and how much did it set you back?
Old Arcade intro videos on Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/HAIRYDVD

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:22:42 pm »

Have ordered the coin door from Happ, won't be in stock for another 3 weeks, grrrrr!

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:24:55 pm »
I really love the way the smoked plexi looks!  Do you recall what level of tint it has?

Great job on the cab!

Not sure on the tint level, I just told the shop guy what I wanted it for and he said it'd be fine. I do seem to recall him saying it'd let 80% of light through, but I might have just imagined that!

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:28:44 pm »
How easy was it to apply the plastic to the mdf.  I was going to laminate mine, but i am having trouble finding someone who stocks it at a reasonable price.

What side plastic did you get and how much did it set you back?

There's a link to the Ebay shop at the top of my post for the plastic. I had the cab on its side when applying, I just peeled off about an inch of the backing, then slowly rolled it along, smoothing it out as I went with a length of wood. It did appear to have lots of very small ripples/bubbles afterwards, but they miraculously disappeared the next day! I think the Fablon must settle down, it's slightly stretchy. You need to make sure the MDF is real smooth before applying - it's worth doing a fine sand beforehand.

meany

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 02:12:23 pm
  • Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed....
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:52:22 pm »
Sweet game.  Good use of the theme.  Does it spit out Scooby Snacks when you get a high score?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:09:07 pm »
Zoink! Your cab looks Scoobalicious!

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 03:02:43 pm »
Nice write up! 1 up for the UK! :cheers:

Love the artwork!!! Are you making this available for DL?

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 03:35:54 pm »
Any pictures of the MALA layouts?  Scooby themed I am sure?

What is your CPO layout printed on?  I ask because you mentioned rerouting your joysticks to make the washers fit under.  It looks so smooth I figured you filled in all the holes and gaps in the control panel then applied a vinyl sticker.  Is this not the case?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:41:19 pm by cmoses »

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 03:48:34 pm »
Nice write up! 1 up for the UK! :cheers:

Love the artwork!!! Are you making this available for DL?

Can do, for sure. I can upload any format you want, just let me know what you need. I can give you editable PDF files, JPEG, whatever.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »

Tomorrow I will take some screenshots and upload them along with some jpegs of the MALA screens .

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:56:14 pm »
What is your CPO layout printed on?  I ask because you mentioned rerouting your joysticks to make the washers fit under.  It looks so smooth I figured you filled in all the holes and gaps in the control panel then applied a vinyl sticker.  Is this not the case?

The MDF CP is not that flat underneath, I can assure you! The CPO is just a large format digital print onto standard glossy paper stock. It's not glued or stuck down at all - the buttons hold the plexi down tight onto the paper. As there's never any direct pressure between the paper and the MDF, there's no real need to fill in every little hole, but obviously you can't have anything (screws, etc) sticking up over the surface of the MDF! Hope that explains it properly.

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:05:09 pm »
Great job!  :cheers:

I especially love the follow through on the theme and art are just fantastic!

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 01:13:11 am »
Once you get the side art this thing is really going to pop!!

Very nice!

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 01:55:28 am »

Here's some shots of the MALA layouts and screensavers, along with some of the original photoshop images. I made the MALA layouts simple - I thought putting Scoob all over them would be overkill, so I kept him for the screensavers. The "Hold On!" shot pops up when you select a game.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 01:58:55 am »
Is mala really that easy to customize?

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 02:48:51 am »
Is mala really that easy to customize?

In a word, yes! Feel free to ask any questions regarding artwork/MALA setups.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 12:24:27 pm »
Are you using a Mala Tree?  Willing to post your Mala layouts?  I always like to look at them to see what people have done.  Very nice graphics there, where did you get them?  I liket he Nintendo system and the Mala one especially.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 12:54:56 pm »
Are you using a Mala Tree?  Willing to post your Mala layouts?  I always like to look at them to see what people have done.  Very nice graphics there, where did you get them?  I liket he Nintendo system and the Mala one especially.

Not using a tree. Background graphics I made, the rest are just net-found console pics and logos. Do you want the .mll files? If so, which? MAME, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, Sega M2, Atari 2600, SNES, NES, N64,etc - I made a fair few!

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 05:12:43 pm »
I would be interested in seeing the MAME, SNES, NES and N64.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 10:12:20 pm »

Do you just want the images or the .mll files too?

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 11:48:52 pm »
I haven't touched mala yet but what are those files?

If I'm planing on doing some front end work soon would they be good to have.

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 01:00:31 am »
It would be cool if you could share them as jpegs or pngs that way they could be used
in other frontends as well.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 11:12:02 am »

Do you just want the images or the .mll files too?

Both would be great.  I like to look at others layouts and see how they did things.  Seem to always learn something new.  Plus just checking them out and seeing them function is cool.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »
MALA Layouts

Here's the JPEG backgrounds for MALA. I've included one .mll file - the MAME one - as they're all the same but just using different background images. Let me know if you need anything else!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gcy8cq

benjammin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2010, 02:18:15 pm
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 07:56:50 pm »
 :applaud:
 :notworthy:

Very nice.
Thanks for sharing all the info.

DjLooter_951

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2009, 04:57:01 pm
  • WHAT IT IZzz!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 10:56:17 pm »
You deserve a Scooby SNACK!!! :applaud: Very Nice Work
GAME OVER

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »
I know it's an old thread but I just got your link to this - awesome job!  Of course not just because of the blueprints ;) but that artwork is great.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:53:31 pm by Sasquatch! »