Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  (Read 1483 times)

dreamakuma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2010, 02:14:54 am
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:05 am »
I wiped off my x-men cps2. I was gentle, didn't move anything rough. I simply wiped dust off. now nothing. I have no picture, sound or anything, except the whirl of th fan. HELP! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Newbie in working on cabs, expert in playing, breaking, moving slowly, and overall failing at them too.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
Re: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:27 am »
Check all connections on the traces (resistors, caps, etc). You may have simply broken a solder point. (Lets hope)

Edit: If it is CPS2 (which I think has a suicide battery) you may have killed the battery backed ram (by bumping the battery) that hold the encryption data. There are some people who have broken that system and will "reload" that data for you. (I am not privy to this, but other could help you there).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:49:20 am by protokatie »
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 01:30:32 am »
What exactly were you dusting off?

Have you checked the power supply yet?
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

dreamakuma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:29:49 am »
I was wiping the blue/plastick with a dry kleenex. the back vent that the fan got wiped and the fans exterior was wiped on the a board as well as the top of it. I have not opened the casing to anything(even the stickers are still there). I had the power off but nothing unplugged,would that do it? I PRAY TO THOR ALMIGHTY that it's the B board that is cheaper to replace. If it's the A board, there goes my first real arcade setup, and maybe my last. I'm freaking out a bit since I've this for two weeks, I started to enjoy it, and now all might be lost.
Newbie in working on cabs, expert in playing, breaking, moving slowly, and overall failing at them too.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:26:15 am »
check the back inside panel around the edge for buttons, these switches automatically cut the power when the back panel is removed you may have triggered one even though the panel is closed, hence nothing works, just reset or remove that switch and your good to go.... if that is the problem

I'll cross my fingers for you

EDIT... oops didn't read that the fan was going
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:10:57 am by Bender »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:48:41 am »
Check all connections on the traces (resistors, caps, etc). You may have simply broken a solder point. (Lets hope)

Edit: If it is CPS2 (which I think has a suicide battery) you may have killed the battery backed ram (by bumping the battery) that hold the encryption data. There are some people who have broken that system and will "reload" that data for you. (I am not privy to this, but other could help you there).

Yeah, could be your suicide battery decided to bite it.  In which case, there is one guy (that I know of) overseas that will fix your roms for you.  Just google CPS2 Phoenix.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:51:29 am »
Sounds like you're not getting a good connection from the A to B board.  If you have the clips on it,  take them off,  remove the A from the B board and then re-attach...press firmly and try again.

Of course you'll possibly have to remove the edge connector to do this...so make sure to re-seat it nice and firm as well.

...as for it being a suicided board...I THINK I remember reading somewhere that when a board suicides,  it leaves a COLORED screen at startup...since you have a black screen,  I'd think that it's likely a connectivity issue.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:54:08 am by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:34 pm »
the power was on when you did this?
NO MORE!!

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:06 pm »
the power was on when you did this?

I had the power off but nothing unplugged,would that do it?

;)

First thing to do is verify that the power supply is working. Measure the voltage at the boardset to know whether or not it's even getting power.
And as Bender started to mention....make sure any interlock switches are working.
If you have either the coin door open or the back door off..... check there.

What "fan" comes on? Power supply fan? Cabinet fan?
A cabinet fan might not neccissarily be wired through the interlocks.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 01:07:30 pm »
Sounds like you're not getting a good connection from the A to B board.  If you have the clips on it,  take them off,  remove the A from the B board and then re-attach...press firmly and try again.

The CPS2 board has 4 huge pin connectors. I don't recall the pin count, but it's something like 70 pins per connector? Three rows of X length. In any case, I scratched my head for two days on a "dead" CPS2 board only to find two or three of the pins were inadvertently bent out of shape from the last guy who manhandled the boards. How someone accomplished doing this on a piece of equipment that goes together like DUPLO blocks is beyond me.

Just examine your pins and make sure there's no crap in the mating components before reassembling them.

dreamakuma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:38 am »
I looked at the pins and they're good. I haven't yet been able to test the votage but my connections look fine. I DID turn it on and I got A small blue screen and in another case an off-kilter red screen that pixated to orange, then went blank(both were after reattaching my Jamma harness,all other times just blank). All this---Smurf---over dusting plastic??? I tried looking for someone to phoenix it for me but I do want to see if it's the A board because I don't want to spend money and still not fix the problem but to no avail. ah crap :banghead: :banghead: maybe I'm just not fit to have an arcade. Either I start buying phoenix boards or I mame it. And not to insult mame by any means,I want to stick with hardware. But maybe I'll give up, buy a cheap pc, get a wells gardner D9800 and an I-pac ve. Anyone have a free cps2 B board that works??Even if it's something crappy(wait did capcom even make bad games back then??).

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 08:31:45 am »
Dry-dusting the plastic may have built up a static charge that zapped something... who knows. 

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
I've found CPS2 boards for as low as $25.00 on ebay.   Your best bet is to buy one and try it.  If it doesn't work then you know you have an issue with the A board or wiring or power supply...if it works then you know your other "B" board has suicided.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)