Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bally -49 Rectifier board issues  (Read 2693 times)

RichSorr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2015, 07:27:00 pm
Bally -49 Rectifier board issues
« on: December 25, 2008, 04:31:57 pm »
repairing and restoring a Bally Kiss and am running into a few issues with the rectifier board. BR 2 was shot so while replacing that I replaced BR 3 as well since I was using 2 35a 400v bridge rectifiers. once both were in I had no 43v at tp5. no fuses were blown, checked voltages at BR3, have the AC AND have DC at the bridges leads, but no continuity from the + lead to TP 5. hooked up gator clips to see if it was a bad trace and went over my solder joints. still nothing. getting kinda stumped. the traces and solder pads on this thing are a MESS. any ideas?

thanks

Rich

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Bally -49 Rectifier board issues
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:54:08 pm »
Unplug the DC output connectors temporarily. Now meter the voltages again. Perhaps an external condition is dragging down the output.

Check those fuses and fuseclips with a meter too. This vintage likes to have cracked/tarnished fuseclips.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:20:23 pm »
yup! actually replaced the fuse and it worked! thanks for the reply though. I think I am just going to replace all the fuse clips, some voltages are a bit on the low side with no load on them. The clips are pretty fried.  Got everything in and hooked up, plug it in....power on... and OF COURSE. a flash of lights, a small pop and then...well, nothing. F5 the 20a fast blo fuse on the rec. board blew...so theres probably a short in the GI circuit. joy!  :banghead:   hopefully I can find the short quick...once I do and get the rest of the machine back together I'll make a thread with pics and all of the restoration. I'm pretty proud of this one..

rich

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:22:19 am »
Check the coin door light sockets and wiring first. Very common for the wires to get pinched/scraped/shorted near the coin door hinge. The coin door lamp sockets can be a problem too. Try powering up with the coin door unplugged to see if the fuse still blows.

If the general illumination fuse continues to blow start disconnecting the backbox lights or simply removing all the backbox GI light bulbs. If fuse stops blowing then you know it's a bad bulb in the backbox. Same for the playfield lights.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 01:24:08 pm »
thats more or less my plan of action for this weekend. I have a 20amp breaker to use for the fuse. I replaced the playfield so hopefully something didnt get too screwy with the GI wiring in the process.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:52 pm »
well, got the lights working. Found 1 switch thats not registering and also my flippers arent working. Drive transistor for the flipper enable relay seems to test ok, but if i short it to ground it will enable and the flippers will work. I have a few spare nte2343s sitting around so I guess I'll swap it out and see what happens.