Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gottlieb Genesis questions  (Read 4469 times)

grbgemen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2014, 10:30:18 am
Gottlieb Genesis questions
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »
Just got a Gottlieb Genesis today and have a few questions.  Already posted on KLOV and thought i would post here also.  First of all, the flippers seem really powerful.  i mean the ball is getting airborne quite a bit.  like when it hits a post, it will jump up and hit the glass.  other times it will jump up above the plastics.  is this normal?

i did notice the center glass( or plexi?) is not exactly flush with the play field.  i removed the screws and tried to remove it but its stuck down.  almost feels like its glued.  im afraid im going to break it and there is a slight crack near one of the screw holes.

i dont think the above is causing all the problems as it seems that the ball is jumping after it passes the center glass.  its probably not helping though.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Gottlieb Genesis questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »

Hrm... you might want to check the coils.  If they have the original wrappers on them they'll have part numbers.  Check that against the manual to make sure you have the right coils. 

Genesis is a game that gets crapped on a lot in the pin collector community.  I really like it, though, and would like to have one if I could find one locally.

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 02:19:38 pm »
i will check the coils when i get home.  any idea how to get the glass up?  does anyone make a replacement in case i do break it?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 05:08:37 pm »

Open coin door.  Lever under the lockdown bar releases the lockdown bar for removal.  Slide glass out after removing lockdown bar.

The playfield glass is just tempered glass.  You can get it any glass shop.  Best bet, though, is to not break the one you have.  It makes millions of sharp pieces that can scratch the crap out of your playfield and it's impossible to find them all.

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:28:09 pm »

Open coin door.  Lever under the lockdown bar releases the lockdown bar for removal.  Slide glass out after removing lockdown bar.

The playfield glass is just tempered glass.  You can get it any glass shop.  Best bet, though, is to not break the one you have.  It makes millions of sharp pieces that can scratch the crap out of your playfield and it's impossible to find them all.

no i mean the glass that is actually on the play field.  there is a triangle piece that covers the robot underneath the play field.  i already got the main pinball glass off and have removed the screws from the piece im talking about.  its like its stuck or glued.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 07:21:01 pm »

Oh, the window over the robot.  I haven't worked on a Genesis so I don't know for sure about how it's in there.  It could be glued in and you're supposed to get under it from the underside of the playfield.  That would make it just like the inserts only bigger.

As for a replacement I don't know of anyone making them but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a new one out of colored acrylic.  Or maybe tint it underneath and use clear.

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 09:12:55 pm »
finally got it after gently tapping around the edge.  basically there is little pads around each screw hole and they have a sticky back.  will see if i cant use some small washers to raise the piece to the play field level.

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 08:09:06 pm »
so today i got some time to get a closer look at the machine.  the play field is very dirty(old wax, lots of ball swirls, etc..).  no major wear that i can see.  dont see any bubbles under any of the mylar. 

question about the inserts.  looks like there is a film on top of each one.  are these decals on top of each?  meanings the words are not actually printed on to the inserts themselves?  or is the film like a protective covering? i guess sort of like mylar?

i plan on keeping this game for a long time and was curious about buying a NOS play field from pbresource.  i contacted them and they have a few left.  $122 plus shipping.  only thing holding me back is swapping out everything from my play field to the new one.  are all the inserts already on the NOS play field?  i asked pbresource but they told me to call em.  well they are closed till monday.

EDIT: one other thing, i checked the coils and they say A-20095.  on pbresource, it lists these under the haunted house pinball as a "Supper Flipper."  is that supposed to be "super?"  reason i ask is because they also have A-17875 listed as flippers.  of course these are for haunted house and might not even apply to Genesis.  Not sure what is supposed to be used still.  Couldnt find a manual online so i will have to buy a used one i guess.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:58:34 pm by grbgemen »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:15:19 am »

I might have a PDF of that manual at home.  I'll check and let you know.

I have bought one NOS playfield from pbresource.  They were good about getting me closeup pics of any defects.  Make sure you call them, though, as they don't do email very well unless it is after a phone call.

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 06:58:03 pm »
well i bit the bullet and ordered a NOS play field.  He said they had 7 left and he would pick the best out of all them.  he was sure he could get me a perfect one.  should be here in the next couple days.

few questions.  i know i brought this up in my sinbad topic but the task kinda scares me.  im trying to decide if i want to clear the play field or not.  here are some things to note:

-This will be a home use machine.
-Once finished, it will probably not get played every day like it has been for the past week. 
-I am not trying to fully restore this machine(cabinet is nice but not mint. same with plastics, etc...). 

i have searched and searched and have read many posts/articles/pages about it.  Most seem to say to clear it but a lot still say it will be fine as long as it is properly cleaned and waxed, especially for a home use machine.  At the same time, i figure that the play field is completely unpopulated which eliminates the long process or prepping the play field for clear.

Basically i am stuck between two choices.  one thing holding me back from clearing is cost.  i dont really want to dump a whole lot into this machine.  do i pay someone to do it or suck it up and do it myself(not worried about cost if i do it myself)?  i am pretty sure i can do it.  i have read a few guides and it sounds like i would be capable of doing it. 

one last question, if i do decide to clear, do i screw all the posts and screws in first or wait till after it is cleared? 

:dunno

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »
I would clear it but practice on something else first.  Get a scrap piece of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood and clear that.  Do it on a couple of them if you want.  Nothing says your first clear job has to be on an actual playfield.

Meh, I found the stuff I have on Genesis is ROMs, flyers, etc but no manual.   :(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:21:50 pm by ChadTower »

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:44:44 am »
well i have cleared things before, just never a pinball play field.  so i have some experience.  a buddy of my dad does some automotive paint work so i am thinking about asking him. 

still wondering about the screws and posts if i clear.  screw them in to make the wholes and then clear or just screw them in after.

also, thanks for looking for the manual.  i did happen to get one though.  it lists two different coils like my previous post the other day.  it has the
A-17875 as flippers and it has A-20095 as "Super" flippers.  does not say which one to use.  mine has the Super's installed.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 01:39:43 pm »

Most people remove everything and then use a poker type tool to reopen the holes after it cures.

grbgemen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 12:00:37 pm »
Do not clearcoat a NOS playfield.  You'll do more harm than good and it will never get damaged in home use.

see thats what i figured.  thanks.

i guess my last question is do i just screw all the posts and screws in by hand?  and drill any that require to be t-nutted?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 08:21:00 pm »

Pretty much, yeah.  If it's not dimpled or anything you'll have to make paper templates from the populated playfield as you go.