Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Know anything about pinball coils?  (Read 5738 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Know anything about pinball coils?
« on: June 21, 2003, 03:04:48 am »
I've been looking at Happ's pinball parts, as possible q*bert knockers and whatnot.  They sell the coils as well as "sleeves".  What does the sleeve do?  Is this the shaft that gets moved back and forth by the force of the coil, or just a sleeve that some other shaft slides in and out of?

Thanks

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re:Know anything about pinball coils?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 05:52:00 am »

The Sleeve is just a thin plastic tube that protects the inside of the coil.   After a while.. they get dirty and worn... so need to be replaced.  The high power of the coil actully seems to draw dust and dirt to it very quickly.

The shaft usually linked to part of an assembly... its just a metal pole.

Brax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 11:46:52 am »
I have a silly question......

I don't think I ever played Q-Bert in the arcades (the C-64 version was probably the first time I saw it)

Whats a Q-Bert knocker and what does it do?
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 01:24:13 pm »
A Q*Bert knocker is a pinball coil in the bottom of the Q*Bert cabinet, when he falls off the pyramid, the knocker knocks to make it seem like he fell down into the bottom of the cabinet (I think that is how it worked, it has been a while).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 02:25:12 pm »
Any way to buy the shaft itself? I guess they have flipper rebuild kits and stuff, but seems like a waste...

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 04:04:28 pm »
http://www.happcontrols.com/index.html?http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/pinball/reparts2.htm!

part # 15847 - or 48  as I dont see 47 on the sales listing.

Though... Even if you got the rebuild kit.. you might end up using most of the parts.  Theres a coils holder mounting that you might need.  

Those coils need heavy duty mounting.. as thier shock-waves will quickly rattle them loose.. thus causeing some major damage.    

I had to tighten the bolts/screws on pinball machines every month (in the acade) less a lose coil damage several assemblys.   Locktight may help... but do be aware to open it up every so often to clean the sleeve, and tighten the bolts.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 07:20:45 pm »
Or you can just buy a real Gottlieb knocker assembly right from Wico, too.  That's what I bought, $8 IIRC.  Keep in mind that most pinball coils (and this Gottlieb one) are around 25V~35V to actuate.  Here's a pic of mine:

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 07:29:05 pm »
So if I get that knocker from Wico and hook it to the bottom of my cab I'll get a cool knocking sound when q-bert dies?  How does it interface with the computer?  Does it require any special hacks or Mame compile?  I'm not a Q-bert maniac or anything, but for $8 I would be in.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps