Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First scratch-build - Upright & WIP  (Read 2727 times)

Evil Ivan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2010, 04:49:00 am
First scratch-build - Upright & WIP
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »
While the cocktail conversion was a fun project, I wasn't pleased with the viewing angle, control ergonomics, or the limited internal space. I've long had the desire (since high-school) for a full-scale upright. The 'golden-era' cabinets held the most appeal to me.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with your opponent, speakers cranking at just about ear level and a decent-sized screen a couple feet of directly in front of oneself, all of which only add to the intensity.

So, I picked up a couple sheets of MDF, a broken rear projection screen TV (for fasteners, hardware and extra material), some basic plans for a Centipede cabinet and got cutting.

I started last Saturday afternoon, and I'm obviously not finished. But it runs and plays, and finish-work aside, I feel it looks the part.

For those who're interested, here's some specs:

PC:
1.8GHz Core 2 Duo
ASRock 4Core Dual-SATA2 R2
1Gb RAM
ATI x1550, 256 MB, 8x AGP, fanless
BS HDD and CD/DVD since it's networked.

Arcade Stuff:
I-PAC keyboard encoder
Happ Competition joysticks, w/ SlikStik LED handles
Happ buttons w/new Cherry switches, except for the trackball, I've used some vintage Cherry switches there as they have a different feel.
Happ 2.25" USB Trackball

Sound system, so far, is the amp from a set of PC speakers driving the 4x6s from the projection TV. I routed their mounting holes, so they're flush with the plate they reside in. I've also installed a panel behind them to separate the speakers from the rest of the cabinet and to minimize the air volume. As a result, bass response is pretty good, considering their 15 watt total rating. A sub may be installed at a later point.

Stuff left to do:

build a keyboard drawer under the control panel
front plating/door and coin mechanism
vent the lower back plate, install fans and duct the PC.
Finish counter-sinking the external screws and putty them under.
Route a slot along the side-plate edges, and install T-molding.
Finish the screen bezel and install glass
Figure out the control panel art.
Prime and paint.
Work up some sideart, will probably stencil/airbrush something.
Install Marquee lighting and the actual marquee.
A bunch of other stuff, I haven't thought of, don't remember or will re-do.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
Re: First scratch-build - Upright & WIP
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:18:04 pm »
Looks like a real nice start!  You've made significant progress in a short time!

You weren't kidding when you talked about "standing shoulder to shoulder"...  it looks a bit tight.  But sometimes it's easy to forget the controls on those old cabs really were that "cozy."

Keep it up, you're doing a real nice job so far...

Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Evil Ivan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:56:32 am »
Thank you.

The old cabs are tight, aren't they? But for me, at least, a that's part of the charm.

On that, I forgot to mention: it's built around a 21" monitor, overall width of the cab is 24.75" (that's 23.5" between the side plates). So yeah, it's cozy, that's why the buttons are arranged as they are (lately, I've been playing the 'pedes, Pac-Man, Boulder-Dash and Missile Command on it, anyways) and I'm not a large guy, anyways, so it doesn't bother me.

The progress has been helped by a few prior projects. Rather, parts from my cocktail conversion were cannibalized to build my present rig (not to worry, I'll rebuild it, ASAF). Also, I just love building stuff, doesn't really matter what, usually it's VWs or concrete forms. Finally, I built a full-on control panel first, then did a conversion, after that, I started the scratch-build.

So, I'll get back to working on it, soon as I've beat my high score on Millipede...  :angry:sider!

Evil Ivan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:57:58 am »
Friday: Completely disassembled the cabinet. Built a wheeled base and restructured the internal frame. Also squared up some edges, routed the groove for the T-molding and cut slots for the marquee and the monitor glass. Reassembled the cabinet with the idea of being able to pull the monitor out the back, this time. It now has a shelf that be slid front to back to aid in installation.

Saturday: Rebuilt the shelf for the PC, dropped a small PC sub in the bottom, fit the front plate and slapped some spare T-molding on. I've got to wait a few days to pick up finish materials. Started constructing the monitor bezel. Been working on the software a lot lately, and have got most of emulators up and linked into my network.

Today: Just played games, after about three hours of fight games with my little brother, broke the cir-clip what holds the joystick handle. Turned out to be the wrong one, replaced it, and all was well.

Cutting and fitting the surround:

New interior layout:

Not sure if I'll keep these ninja power controls:

Presently (don't mind the *temporary* keyboard shelf, a drawer will replace it later in the week):

My brother putting in some work testing out the PSX emu.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:44:26 am by Evil Ivan »