Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-man restoration - Return from Doh!  (Read 99193 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Pac-man restoration - Return from Doh!
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2009, 05:28:21 pm »
Okay, second side and the front is done.  Turned out really nice!

Back plate made it through multiple rounds of paint

I also put on the new orange t-molding.  Had to lay it down in order to hammer in the t-molding on the bottom

While I had her on her back, I replaced the old leg levelers with new nylon ones

Another nice feature of these nylon legs, is that they are longer than the originals.  This allows me to raise the cab about a half inch (I'm 6'5" so the higher the better) more off the ground.

And the finished exterior, ready to be moved to the basement for reassembly:

I'm very pleased with the way this one is turning out   :cheers:

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Superully

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2016, 02:48:27 am
« Reply #281 on: October 12, 2009, 10:08:21 am »
"very pleases" is an understatement!!! this is one heck of a job - congratulations.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #282 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:47 am »
I feel a RESTOREY coming up :D  :cheers:

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #283 on: October 12, 2009, 11:48:51 am »
Yeah... you really do some fantastic work!  I'm impressed with your paint jobs... they are top notch!  :notworthy:
Happy Gaming!

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:20 am »
Yeah... you really do some fantastic work!  I'm impressed with your paint jobs... they are top notch!  :notworthy:

They are. I seem to remember Spydron getting advice from Wondercade on painting techniques... they were obviously good pointers. I wonder if it would be possible for a mod to dig those up and sticky them somewhere.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2009, 03:02:20 pm »
I seem to remember Spyridon getting advice from Wondercade on painting techniques... they were obviously good pointers.

Gorf was my first paint job using a sprayer and Wundercade gave some great tips that I've been using ever since.  That's the nice thing about posting these on these boards.  I've gotten tons of good advice from lots of helpful people.  Couldn't have done these without help.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #286 on: October 15, 2009, 10:51:50 pm »
While watching the Phillies playoff game tonight, I installed the screen in the back of the cab.

Also, installed the coin door:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:14 pm »
Installed all the guts today.

Speaker and lights:

Everything else:

I used double sided foam tape to secure the new piece of tinted plexi to the inner bezel

Once attached, I removed the remaining protective layer

(almost) Everything in its place:

Time to power him up and see what happens:

It still works!  Monitor picture is beautiful

Remaining items to do:
Check coin mech wireing as they aren't working
Replace marquee with NOS one.
Anyone have some recommendations on what to use to remove the protective covering without damaging the plastic?

Install Six-pac kit to allow me to play Pac, Ms. Pac, and Pac Plus in fast and slow versions
Install Midway logo plate on coin door (any news Peale?)
Take final pictures!
Rearrange games in gameroom

Almost there...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:51:03 pm by Spyridon »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57:23 pm »
I haven't called the company back yet on the rivets.  They weren't too forthcoming on the samples they /did/ send me, and since they were the wrong ones (thanks to some bad data) I'm allowing some time to pass before I ask for some others.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2009, 05:42:45 pm »
I haven't checked on this thread in months. Just read it front to back, amazing work!

One request however, replace those yellow (2700K) Compact Florescent lightbulbs with those of the daylight variety. They usually cost a couple bucks more but produce great white light and really bring out the colors.

Seen here is regular "soft white" on the left and the superior "daylight" on the right:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:44:20 pm by Namco »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2009, 06:20:33 pm »
My guess is Spyri is trying to reproduce the warm light of the original incadescent bulbs as much as possible...

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: October 21, 2009, 03:54:59 pm »
My guess is Spyri is trying to reproduce the warm light of the original incadescent bulbs as much as possible...

Yeah, Yeah...that's it.

Actually, those are the bulbs that were in there and I didn't change anything.  I did think that it looked a bit too yellow but I haven't given it much thought yet on what I'll end up with.  I may consider those white light bulbs if the yellow bugs me.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2009, 09:37:52 pm »

Yeah, Yeah...that's it.

Actually, those are the bulbs that were in there and I didn't change anything.  I did think that it looked a bit too yellow but I haven't given it much thought yet on what I'll end up with.  I may consider those white light bulbs if the yellow bugs me.

I say keep the yellow, it feels warmer and goes well with the yellow colour of the cabinet. Besides, like Level said, it's original!
Just my opinion though.  Your cabinet is still wicked awesome regardless!

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #293 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:52 am »
I am conflicted over this too. Mine has the original incandescent bulbs and it is rather yellow compared to my other cabs.  I've been considering switching over to the daylight (white) ones just so the cab's lighting matches the others.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2009, 05:11:35 am »
Well Midway shouldn't have switched to incandescent in the first place. Galaxian production started with decent fluorescent fixtures but switched to the incandescent set-up later in production, probably to save a buck or two. They're responsible for quite some waste of energy and CO2 production because of that, seeing Pac Man's production numbers. Besides that I can't think op's were happy with it, higher electricity bill but probably much more important for them in those days, exchanging blown-up bulbs pretty regularly compared to fluorescent. Also the fluorescent tube gave a much better spread and even light. However, if you strive for originality, I'd opt for the yellow looking lights for the Pac too. With all it's drawbacks in looks, it is how it was.And by using those fluorescent versions the energy issue is solved.

I do find those SF pictures before and after interesting though. At first sight I prefered the left (yellow) one because of it's warmer tone. But after some looking, the one with the daylight produces much brighter colors, the difference in colors is much more noticable.
Very interesting, since I tend to buy warm (yellow) colored fluorescents if they don't work anymore in the cabs I work on. It might be better to try a white one next time, they are also considerably cheaper.

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2009, 08:15:11 am »
Well Midway shouldn't have switched to incandescent in the first place. Galaxian production started with decent fluorescent fixtures but switched to the incandescent set-up later in production, probably to save a buck or two. They're responsible for quite some waste of energy and CO2 production because of that, seeing Pac Man's production numbers. Besides that I can't think op's were happy with it, higher electricity bill but probably much more important for them in those days, exchanging blown-up bulbs pretty regularly compared to fluorescent. Also the fluorescent tube gave a much better spread and even light. However, if you strive for originality, I'd opt for the yellow looking lights for the Pac too. With all it's drawbacks in looks, it is how it was.And by using those fluorescent versions the energy issue is solved.

I do find those SF pictures before and after interesting though. At first sight I prefered the left (yellow) one because of it's warmer tone. But after some looking, the one with the daylight produces much brighter colors, the difference in colors is much more noticable.
Very interesting, since I tend to buy warm (yellow) colored fluorescents if they don't work anymore in the cabs I work on. It might be better to try a white one next time, they are also considerably cheaper.

Well, they've always made daylight versions of incandescent bulbs too. They had a kind of bluish-white coating on them as well as a higher color temperature. There was nothing stopping an op from using a couple of those. I remember experimenting with those "cool" light bulbs as a kid in the mid-80s. I'm not sure exactly when they were invented but daylight colored light is not exclusive to CF bulbs.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #296 on: October 23, 2009, 10:15:05 am »
An op is going to go with whatever the cheapest option is. 

Sometimes those decisions make sense in the short run, but not in the long.   Like the lighting.   Maybe there was a sale on 60W bulbs that day.  So those get used instead.  They're not concerned with power usage - the location pays that!  But this backfires as the marquee area heats up, bleaching the marquee at best, melting it and burning the cab at worst.

That's why the florescent fixtures became an industry standard.  They run cooler, use less energy, light a broader area, and last a heck of a long time.   When I was working for an op, any time we found a cab using incandescent fixtures they were ripped out with great prejudice and replaced with a florescent fixture.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2009, 02:58:07 pm »
Installed the Mark Spaeth Six Pac today

First step was to remove chips 5E, 5F, 6E, 6F, 6H, and 6J

Then install the new PCB on the edge connecter and the chip in socket 5E

and play...

This really is a nice kit.  The only thing that would make it better would be a high score save.  I realized that I had never played Pac-Man Plus before. What an odd game.

DjinniMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 03:13:50 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2009, 01:41:19 pm »
I'm in awe.  This restoration is amazing.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:35 am »
No offense, I love Mark Spaeth's stuff but I hate that e-mail address there.

I'm very glad he didn't do that on the SW/ESB kit.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:24 am »
No offense, I love Mark Spaeth's stuff but I hate that e-mail address there.

I'm very glad he didn't do that on the SW/ESB kit.

I agree  (I also have his SW/ESB kit on the way to me)

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58:42 pm »
Mark said that a simple little tweek with a programmer could get rid of it, although he made sure to point out that'd be "tacky" in the same breath. lol

But if I had a programmer, I'd definitely get rid of it can't imagine it'd be any more tacky than having it on there.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2009, 11:22:36 am »
Sure, all it takes is reading the eprom, finding the string, removing it, erasing and reprogramming the Eprom.

Unless he build in some clever protection, which I doubt.

It's just that an e-mail address is so NOT-80's.... it also seems not the smartest thing to do with Namco chasing it's IP.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
It's just that an e-mail address is so NOT-80's....

I disagree. Lots of people in the '80s had email addresses, especially people like Mark Spaeth (an MIT student). If an MIT student in the '80s made a multi Pac-Man board for sale to fellow hobbyists, I can see him including his email address on the screen. It would have been a very "techie" thing to do back then.

In fact, MIT figured prominently in the origin of email, some two decades prior to the '80s:
Electronic mail predates the inception of the Internet, and was in fact a crucial tool in creating the Internet.

MIT first demonstrated the Compatible Time-Sharing System (CTSS) in 1961. It allowed multiple users to log into the IBM 7094 from remote dial-up terminals, and to store files online on disk. This new ability encouraged users to share information in new ways. E-mail started in 1965 as a way for multiple users of a time-sharing mainframe computer to communicate. Although the exact history is murky, among the first systems to have such a facility were SDC's Q32 and MIT's CTSS.

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:31 pm »
It's just that an e-mail address is so NOT-80's....

I disagree. Lots of people in the '80s had email addresses, especially people like Mark Spaeth (an MIT student). If an MIT student in the '80s made a multi Pac-Man board for sale to fellow hobbyists, I can see him including his email address on the screen. It would have been a very "techie" thing to do back then.

In fact, MIT figured prominently in the origin of email, some two decades prior to the '80s:
Electronic mail predates the inception of the Internet, and was in fact a crucial tool in creating the Internet.

MIT first demonstrated the Compatible Time-Sharing System (CTSS) in 1961. It allowed multiple users to log into the IBM 7094 from remote dial-up terminals, and to store files online on disk. This new ability encouraged users to share information in new ways. E-mail started in 1965 as a way for multiple users of a time-sharing mainframe computer to communicate. Although the exact history is murky, among the first systems to have such a facility were SDC's Q32 and MIT's CTSS.

Yeah, but it's a Gmail email address. Gmail is so modern and "Web 2.0". Not a very cool thing IMHO to have on your vintage looking arcade cab. It would have been fine if it was some obscure edu or something, but Gmail?, it ruins it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:41:25 pm by Namco »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2009, 06:28:42 pm »
Yeah, but it's a Gmail email address. Gmail is so modern and "Web 2.0". Not a very cool thing IMHO to have on your vintage looking arcade cab. It wouldn't been fine if it was some obscure edu or something, but Gmail?, it ruins it.

+1  ;D

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »
Yeah, but it's a Gmail email address. Gmail is so modern and "Web 2.0". Not a very cool thing IMHO to have on your vintage looking arcade cab. It would have been fine if it was some obscure edu or something, but Gmail?, it ruins it.

I didn't actually look at what email address he was using. Yeah, using a gmail address sucks. An mit.edu address would have been good. In fact, it seems that he does indeed have at least several addresses like that, including a nice, basic address (link).

So with regard to the following post:

Mark said that a simple little tweek with a programmer could get rid of it, although he made sure to point out that'd be "tacky" in the same breath. lol

Maybe the ideal solution would be to change it to his mit.edu address, rather than deleting it altogether.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:51:28 pm by MaximRecoil »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #307 on: November 14, 2009, 11:42:06 pm »
How about NO email. It's so unnecessary.

NO MORE!!

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2009, 06:42:06 am »
How about NO email. It's so unnecessary.

The "Six-Pac" kit itself is "so unnecessary". I agree with the creator of that kit that it would be "tacky" to simply remove his email address from the screen. If someone wants one without it, nothing is preventing someone from designing and manufacturing their own kit.

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 10:27:39 pm
    • Rotheblog Arcade
« Reply #309 on: December 05, 2009, 09:12:54 am »
The Ms. Pac-man multi has www.widel.com on the bottom of the screen too.  I would guess most of his kits do, as the BT DECO multi has it also.  So its not necessarily out of the ordinary.
Rotheblog.com - Classic arcade games blog

CoinOpSpace.com - A social network for collecting arcade games, a friendly community, and a focus on easy content sharing.

I partner with This Old Game to vectorize your arcade artwork.

No PM's. Email at rothecreations@gmail.c

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #310 on: February 12, 2010, 03:05:24 pm »
Not sure how I missed this one but I just read the entire thread - amazing job.  It is a thing of beauty!   :notworthy:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: February 12, 2010, 10:31:52 pm »
Not sure how I missed this one but I just read the entire thread - amazing job.  It is a thing of beauty!   :notworthy:

Thanks

Kawydud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2012, 11:32:18 pm
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2010, 07:50:57 pm »
What a great detailed restoration to a cabinet.  I am new to this forum and this was one of the first threads that I have read.  Very nice work, and nice help from other members involved.  I recently bought an original Ms. Pac cabinet and will be going through the same process of restoring the cabinet to the same high standards that you went through.  I did find files to do the stencils on the Ms.Pac, and I have a vinyl graphic business as well, so the stencils will be easy to create.  Thanks again for the detailed pictures of your resto.

ckong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2020, 06:48:09 pm
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2010, 07:18:36 am »
Very nice restoration project. The end result really is amazing. I got a pac-man cab last week which I will restore next summer or so, and this topic is full of useful information for that.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 06:06:00 pm by ckong »

nvanvlymen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2020, 10:53:57 pm
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2020, 02:40:04 pm »
This thread is long dead, but I'm hoping to know what quantity was used for each color? I tried looking at the pic of all the paint, and it looks like 2 quarts for yellow, and the rest were pints?  I'm with the shop who's mixing my omni paint and they struggled to use the formula with a specific quantity.  Any help would be super appreciative.

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2020, 03:03:11 pm »
I cringe everytime I read an old forum post of mine. I was being all snarky about gmail address on a multi-pac board? Geez. Mark's earned the right, I think.  :lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2020, 06:49:32 pm »
This thread is long dead, but I'm hoping to know what quantity was used for each color? I tried looking at the pic of all the paint, and it looks like 2 quarts for yellow, and the rest were pints?  I'm with the shop who's mixing my omni paint and they struggled to use the formula with a specific quantity.  Any help would be super appreciative.

When I did my replica I think it used about half a gallon.  I'd go ahead and get a whole gallon though.... it's a huge pain to run out mid job.