Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Couple easy questions on audio etc..  (Read 1565 times)

ItchyD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2017, 03:38:24 pm
Couple easy questions on audio etc..
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:18:50 pm »
What's the best way to get audio out of RCA connectors?  I think that's what they are called.  The red and white connectors from a video game console.  I basically want to go from speaker wires to an xbox with a volume dial between.  I assume it's going to have to be powered in some way as well.  I can get some really large cheap speakers at the store where I buy electronics for like $4 so I'm thinking of putting some monster speakers on my machine.

What's the easiest way to light up some skeleton buttons? http://lizardlick.com/images/for_sale/pushbuttons/ps14kn_w.jpg  Do they have to be drilled out?  Is it possible to blacklight a button?  I don't need them to blink or anything.

Final question:  I'm going to have player 1/2 on my xbox wired in to arcade controls, and player 3/4 wired into these babies http://www.amazon.com/Innovation-XBOX-EXTENSION-CABLE/dp/B000S5FI9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229713659&sr=8-2  I'm trying to think of some nice facia I could stick around those things so they look ok.  I want the female plug to be flush with the surface on the side of my CP.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Couple easy questions on audio etc..
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:29:40 pm »
You need an amplifier/receiver of some sort for the speakers. You can't just hardwire speakers directly to a source signal - there isn't enough juice there to power said speakers. That's why it is appropriately named an "Amplifier".

Blacklighting can be done with room lighting - if the plastic is black-light reactive. I don't know of any blacklight reactive buttons. Plain white ones probably react a little.
If you want backlit buttons, www.groovygamegear.com and www.ultimar.com have easy to interface lit buttons.

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:06:41 pm »
I can get some really large cheap speakers at the store where I buy electronics for like $4 so I'm thinking of putting some monster speakers on my machine.
Monster-like speakers of that price can best be driven with 110V AC directly. Or hit them with a stick to get sound out of them. They will be killed in 2 hours anyway.

ItchyD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »
I can get some really large cheap speakers at the store where I buy electronics for like $4 so I'm thinking of putting some monster speakers on my machine.
Monster-like speakers of that price can best be driven with 110V AC directly. Or hit them with a stick to get sound out of them. They will be killed in 2 hours anyway.

:dunno

Regarding blacklight... the xbox has alot of black buttons on it, I was hoping there might be such a thing as a blacklight LED not sure what it would look like though.   Maybe I'll just look for some purple ones or something.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »

:dunno

Regarding blacklight... the xbox has alot of black buttons on it, I was hoping there might be such a thing as a blacklight LED not sure what it would look like though.   Maybe I'll just look for some purple ones or something.

Yes, there are ultraviolet LED's.  I don't think it will be very effective though if the room is still full of ambient light.

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:23:17 pm »
On a similar note, I've got an old Robotron cab that I MAME'd (don't worry, it wasn't Robotron when I got it...it was a gutted Final Fight with the side art painted over). anyway, what's the best way to hook up the sound to the speaker, which should be original to the cab. Right now, I have a pair of amplified stereo speakers (the kind meant for PC's) in the marquee area, but I'd like to hook them up to the speaker in the cab (the PC speakers are muffled when I have a marquee in place)

ItchyD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:02:05 am »
Well I got  nice (free) set of  bose model 21 bookshelf speakers  10-60 watt, 4-8 ohms, and I'm trying to connect them to my xbox based arcade cab.  So basically I am trying to pick a cheap amp, that has a volume knob which I can mount to my cp.  It should also have an rca jack, and can be plugged into 110v.  It would be great if I could also mount a headphone jack that cut off the speakers when plugged in.  I guess I can buy a jank old stereo and tear it apart but I feel like the part I need should be just a tiny box with a volume knob sticking out of it, and a couple jacks. Helpful advice appreciated thanks!