Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game competition #9: Hyper Sports  (Read 9926 times)

fronty

• Trade Count: (0)
Game competition #9: Hyper Sports
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:16:59 am »
The game for round 9 is Hyper Sports. Chosen by last round winner, DeLuSioNal29.

Rules

- Use the Konami (Centuri license) version (set name "hyperspt"), default settings, no cheats.

- Use any mame version or variant you wish.

- Last day is Saturday, January 3rd (around midnight Pacific Standard Time).

- High score wins (a tie means there's more than one winner).

- No savestates, savestate practices, etc during the round.

- MAME recordings are optional, but encouraged! This game is specially fun to watch so they are doubly welcome!

- Play until no longer able to qualify.

Game info courtesy of MAWS:

- SETUP -

To have the high score table properly initialized, the first time you run the game you should go into the dipswitch menu, set World Records to Erase on Reset, reset the game (F3), and set the dipswitch back to 'Don't Erase.'

- HOW TO PLAY -

Tap GO and player will accelerate, shoot or lift. Push UP and player will jump or shoot. Game over if you fail to qualify in an event.

• I. Swimming-100M Freestyle : Use GO and UP buttons to regulate the speed and breath of swimmer. Tap GO button(s) to accelerate swimmer. Press UP button to allow swimmer to breath when 'breath' display appears on the screen. Swimmer will submerge if UP button is pressed any other time. Equal the computer's time for 3,000 point bonus.
  • II. Skeet Shooting : Push either GO button to shoot. Shooting direction, left or right, coincide with GO button. Shoot clay within the red window to score. Consecutive hits expand the window, in single increments, to maximum. A miss will reduce the window to the smallest shape. 500 point clay appears after nine (9) consecutive hits. 1,000 point clay appears after 19 consecutive hits. Hit all clays for a 'perfect' score.
  • III. Long Horse : Press and release either GO button to accelerate player, push UP button at a proper position on the ramp to jump to the horse and again to lift from the horse. While in the air, tap GO button(s) to control rolls and dismount pose. Points are decided on the number of rolls and dismount pose.
  • IV. Archery : Press either GO button to randomly stop wind reel. Reel will automatically stop at random if GO button is not pressed, wind reel displays wind direction and velocity (0 thru 7 mph). Push UP button to shoot and hold to control angle.
  • V. Triple Jump : Tap GO button(s) to accelerate player. Press UP button at a proper position to hop, step and jump.
  • VI. Weight Lifting : Push GO button, each time, to advance to the next heaviest class, once advanced, backing up to a lighter class can not be made. Press UP button to elect weight class. Tap GO button(s) to lift the weight, press UP button when bar bell flashes and continue tapping GO button(s) until the three judge indicators light up.
  • VII. Pole Vault : Push either GO button and release. Press UP button to vault and release at proper position to clear the bar.

- BONUS POINTS -

• If the two middle swimmers achieve a dead-heat, a frog appears and a 3,000 points bonus is awarded.
  • In skeet shooting shoot the final object with the left hand side target and a parrot will fly from right to left. This can be hit repeatedly for 1,000 points.
  • After launching from the horse, tap a RUN button to rotate so you land on your head. An object falls from the sky and a 3,000 poins bonus is awarded.
  • In archery there is a point bonus for getting all 'nices'; in the first round it is 3,000 points, in the second round it is 4,000 points and in the third round it is 6,000 points. If you get all 'nices', the moving target will be replaced by an apple, which can be hit for an increasing number of bonus points.
  • If your triple jump starts right on the line and also has the angles of 35, 41, and then 45 degress, a rocket flies past and a 3,000 point bonus is awarded. Note that this bonus is not seen if the jump sets a new world record.
  • Following a successful weight lift, pressing both run buttons the instant the dropped weights hit the floor causes 3 girls to be displayed, holding a '1000' sign. A 1,000 points bonus is awarded.

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:44:54 am by FrontyDev »

drawfull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2012, 09:30:14 am
Re: Game competition #9: Hyper Sports
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:10:33 am »
Great choice  8)

Assuming we're going by the MAWS info you posted, we can have world records already at the start of a new game. It drastically affects points available in the first two rounds.... I think it's a good idea to use world records in principle but am easy.

Also, I assume it's play til failure to qualify as opposed to one round only.

Might try and get a score up later today.

More tips:

1. Swimming: If you dive using both run buttons and whilst your character is underwater press the breath button 3 times, if you timed it right you will not have to breathe for the rest of the race.

2. Swimming: It is almost always better to go for a tie with the computer player as long as you still qualify. A very fast swim (sub 50s) will net you around 12500 points. A 58s swim with a tie will get you 13500.

3. Skeets: always shoot the ghost in the target opposite to the side which it came out of for the added bird bonus. Round A3 (some of the ones in subsequent rounds) can be shot exclusively in one target. Makes it easier. 

4. Archery: the wind isn't really random and imo it is easier to hit bullseyes with +1, +2 or +3. Watch the up /down arrow and hit select just as  it changes to UP to get one of the three winds above.

4. Weight lifting: Once you've picked your weight if you tap the middle button for a few seconds before starting to lift it is much easier to get to the point where the weight flashes. It doesn't make the lifting speed needed any different with regard to getting three white lights, but you have longer to actually get there this way if you're going for really heavy stuff.

5. Pole Vault. it's all about the moles....

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:43:44 pm »

May as well start the ball rolling since it's a game that I can actually play :)

Failed on 55s swimming, due to two false starts. Nothing to write home about really but gets a score up.

The inp file was recorded in Wolfmame 1.06 should you wish to play it back, and I didn't have any high scores (world records) so you'll want to (temporarily) delete the hyperspt.nvram file if you're using it when viewing the inp.

Inp and wlf file attached.  :)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:41:33 pm »
1. Swimming: If you dive using both run buttons and whilst your character is underwater press the breath button 3 times, if you timed it right you will not have to breathe for the rest of the race.
Isn't that cheating?  (It's equivalent to up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a in Konami games for the NES!)

~ DeLuSioNaL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:44 pm »
Isn't that cheating?  (It's equivalent to up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a in Konami games for the NES!)

~ DeLuSioNaL

I don't think so, but it doesn't really matter. It only becomes a benefit from round 5, in fact it's only r5 where it helps. Sub 45s isn't possible with one player - which is r6, assuming you do 9.60 on long horse (hard cos of run up speed) and 18m on triple jump (not a formality).... I'm easy either way. It's accepted at MARP though I think - I don't recall if I used it on my record, but I probably did on 50s swimming.

Let's see what happens :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:06:19 pm by drawfull »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:27:07 pm »
I can't pass the pole vault to save my life.  Any hints?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:14:41 pm »
BTW, I think this competition is over before it got started.  I just took a look at your recording and you are KING!  Nice job!  But I'm sure that we can declare you the winner at this point.  We will never even come close! (and I fell for it in choosing the game - LOL)

By the way, I viewed your recording by using WolfMAMEplus 106 found here:  http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmameplus-0106.exe and it worked just fine.

I say we start a new one.  How about Ms. Pacman (with speed hack)?

~ DeLuSioNaL

fronty

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:57:58 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:59:03 pm by FrontyDev »

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 01:19:51 am »
The last one wasn't a lot different. Besides, most of us are still in the same spot, just learning the game. Which brings me to my peformance so far:

- the swim is lame. They can jump in and start swimming right away. At least it's real easy to qual.

- skeet shoot is EASY - if they mostly come from one side. I've gotten a perfect (not three rounds, but at least) three games in a row. This changes markedly, however, if they alternate, especially if they alternate a lot, but it's good fun.

- the long horse: I'm stuck here. I've qualled once, barely. I certainly don't like this one as much as TnF. That one was a winner.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:07 am »
I can't pass the pole vault to save my life.  Any hints?

The pole is quite easy. In fact, even on later rounds the hardest part becomes hitting the box (again cos of run up speed).

As you might have spotted, if you hit the box perfectly and clear the height, you get a mle bonus. To hit the box perfectly, try to press the action button just as the right-hand end of the pole passes the right-hand side of the judge. More often than not you'll get a good plant.

Keep your finger on the action button til just before vertical. If you leave it to vertical you get slightly more height but less forward motion. Just before is best. Now let go of the action button and use the run buttons til the guy flips horizontally. At this point use one run button and run on the action button also and he will glide over the bar.

The last one wasn't a lot different. Besides, most of us are still in the same spot, just learning the game. Which brings me to my peformance so far:

- the swim is lame. They can jump in and start swimming right away. At least it's real easy to qual.

- skeet shoot is EASY - if they mostly come from one side. I've gotten a perfect (not three rounds, but at least) three games in a row. This changes markedly, however, if they alternate, especially if they alternate a lot, but it's good fun.

- the long horse: I'm stuck here. I've qualled once, barely. I certainly don't like this one as much as TnF. That one was a winner.

You can jump the same time as them and if you let your bloke stay underwater before running, you swim faster anyway.

On the long horse, it's quite important to take off as close to the edge of the springboard as possible. Once your guy is on the vault make sure you wait til he is completely vertical before pressing the jump button. If you leave it too long though you fall off. If you leave him il he's vertical he goes higher meaning more spins. On the first round, I think 4 spins and a good landing are required for 8.60. Next round you need 6 spins, then 8, then 10 (or 9 if you get a 9-spin first off and again on the next try), then 12 for 9.60. When you're spinning, once his feet are pointing straight down that is the best landing so once you have the amount of spins needed just line the feet up downwards and let go.

BTW, I think this competition is over before it got started.  I just took a look at your recording and you are KING! 
~ DeLuSioNaL

I don't think so. Once you get used to passing all 7 events it only really gets 'tough' from round 4 or 5 (round 4 means 9.50 long horse, 5 means 50s swimming). So it's more about consistency rather than getting as far as poss.

Look at it like this - in theory, with good high scores already in the pole vault, a first round ONLY score of 180k is possible. Just max out the skeets, hit a 10k+ on archery, 1 or 2 19m triple jumps (10,000pts each) and a few moles and you're laughing. I'm sure the scores will get closer.

EDIT: Forgot to add, on the skeet shooting, especially in later rounds it is harder to get perfects, but things don't get really fast til after the 1000pt+ skeet. But, you NEED that skeet to qualify else there's not enough points available. There are only 6 different patterns also. 3 in the odd numbered rounds and 3 in the even numbered rounds. So if you can maaster one out of each set you should always be able to qualify.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:16:24 am by drawfull »

fronty

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:07:52 am »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:00:45 pm by FrontyDev »

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:27 am »
I use 6 fingers for Hyper Sports, 7 for Track n Field (I would use 8 but my little finger on my left hand is crap).

Hyper Sports imo looks for volume of button presses within an amount of time to determine speed, whereas TnF looks for speed AND rhythm. So you can be technically quite slow in TnF but with good rhythm still get good times.

I made a video which I'll put on Youtube which shows HS, but you can hear my fingers.

Using a lighter or pencil (or ruler a la Ummon) can yield good results, but the thing with HS over TnF is that there are more techy events in HS. Speed isn't the be all and end all. Obviously in TnF to challenge good scores you have to be fast as most big points are available only in the two sprints.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:24 pm »
Yeah, I use a ruler balanced on a pointed rubber thingy.  A hemispherical object, round side down, somehow mounted to it would be tops. That's a neat two-hand technique - perhaps better than the one I saw someone at MW post when this discussion came up for TnF, because of the poor lighting of their vid, which used only the pointer finder of each hand.

Christ, archery is hard. I was getting some tight groups, though. Okay, so I finally qualified on long horse. That's kinda a drag that it's up to the number of spins.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:08:26 am by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:03:58 am »
Christ, archery is hard. I was getting some tight groups, though. Okay, so I finally qualified on long horse. That's kinda a drag that it's up to the number of spins.

If you follow the tip above regarding wind selection (so you end up with +1, +2 or +3) you can work out every time where to fire from, ie it doesn't change from game to game.

With regard to the Long Horse, your run up speed increases in later rounds so you get longer in the air = more time to spin. Also, I didn't perhaps make the bit about required spins clear enough. Say you need 9.40 to qualify. That means 8 spins. But, if you have already had a vault which didn't qualify but wasn't a foul, then you need only 7 spins on the next vault to get 9.4. That works for every round apart from 9.6 where it's 12 or bust (r5)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:12:14 am by drawfull »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:34:51 pm »

If you follow the tip above regarding wind selection (so you end up with +1, +2 or +3) you can work out every time where to fire from, ie it doesn't change from game to game.

Um, yeah, I'm naturally kind of leary of approaching game play that way.

With regard to the Long Horse, your run up speed increases in later rounds so you get longer in the air = more time to spin. Also, I didn't perhaps make the bit about required spins clear enough. Say you need 9.40 to qualify. That means 8 spins. But, if you have already had a vault which didn't qualify but wasn't a foul, then you need only 7 spins on the next vault to get 9.4. That works for every round apart from 9.6 where it's 12 or bust (r5)

Okay. I still think it's a silly way of qualifying.  Ohhhh, it's like that in the real olympics. I thought it had to do with distance.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 02:59:29 am »

Um, yeah, I'm naturally kind of leary of approaching game play that way.

Erm, I just meant they're the three easier winds. If you want to pick 'em at random, go for it, just means there's 15 possibilities instead of 3.

Has anyone got past the Pole Vault yet?

fronty

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:58:44 pm by FrontyDev »

Todd H

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:46:20 pm »
How about Bosconian?

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 04:14:03 pm »
I must have missed Shinobi.

Depending on the outcome of this, I'm dithering between Arkanoid, Last Duel, Vs. Super Mario Bros., Bubble Bobble, Wonder Boy or Wardner, but am open to suggestions too.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 05:15:53 pm »
That's quite a range of dither. And I thought the comp was over by the first, since it was started early.......
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

fronty

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 08:23:25 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:58:54 pm by FrontyDev »

drawfull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22:47 am »
Okey dokey FrontyDev, works for me.

I pick Wonder Boy; I can make the new thread (I'll just copy an existing one)!

fronty

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 09:47:18 am »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:02:16 pm by FrontyDev »