Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BACK TO THE ARCADE BARTOP  (Read 73305 times)

dkssprs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 01:32:26 pm
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
BACK TO THE ARCADE BARTOP
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:48:46 am »
Project Announcement
by dkssprs

Hi all arcade maniacs :applaud:

When i was a little kid (now i am 27 years old...but still a kid) i used to believe that the richest kid in the world the first thing that it sould choose for a present definitely would be a arcade machine like DOUBLE DRAGON or FINAL FIGHT etc having it in his playroom and  to play the favorite arcade game  with his friends.
My point is that a kid having an arcade cabinet in his room it was the THE TOTAL "TOY"
.....which i never had.  :banghead:  :(

From the age of 19 i found Mame to play with. I was very excited playing again my favorite Bubble Bobble , Shinobi etc.
But something was missing...something wasnt right...the feeling playing arcade games wasnt the same like before.
The problem was that i wa playing my favorite games but not using the original way.The keyboard isnt for that kind of game and also there wasnt a cab.
So i thought "is there a way to have an arcade cabinet in my room??!!"
I went to google and typed arcade cabinet = BYOAC .....and you guys here saw me the way to make my child dream come true.
Lots of hours serfing and gathering informations about the arcade project. I cant remember how many times i changed the project type (coctail ,cabinet , bartop ) but i decided to make a BARTOP project like weecade which i find it AWOSOME  http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/index.htm

(many gratz to Rasmus Kønig Sørensen ...pure inspiration)

I hope i didnt tire you but first  i wanted to share these memories with you guys.  

Enough with the talking ... its time for some photoes of my progress

At the end i would like to say a personal Thanks to a helpfull member here in BYOAC who is helping me with the artwork of the cab ,cause i am awful with that part of the project

THANK you thatitalian

to be continued....

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:18:00 am by dkssprs »

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
Re: Bub & Bobs BARTOP!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:02:41 pm »
The Hardware Part

The monitor will be a LG FLATRON L1734S-BN 17''

CPU                 Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 478 socket
Motherboard   ASROCK P4I65GV
Ram                2GB
Harddisk         80GB
PSU                CHIEFTECH 450W

The controls part

1x Seimitsu PS-14-D-BK, blue:    2,00Euro
1x Seimitsu PS-14-D-BK, white:    2,00Euro
1x Seimitsu PS-14-D-BK, green:    2,00Euro
4x Sanwa OBSN-30, blue:    9,00Euro
4x Sanwa OBSN-30, white:    9,00Euro
1x 2P Start Button:    2,80Euro
1x 1P Start Button:    2,80Euro
2x Mag-Stik S, black:    39,00Euro
1x I-PAC ve:    35,95Euro

The frontend part

Maximus arcade http://www.maximusarcade.com/

coinopman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2009, 09:18:53 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:45:41 pm »
I like that cab design. I have been looking for a bartop cab to put a Golden Tee in. I'm in the coin-op video biz with a Golden Tee I've been wanting to put in a location but I can't use a full size cab there. This cab would be perfect with some modifications.

Joey Butafuko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2012, 04:59:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:25:33 pm »
Very soon you'll finally be one of those rich kids  ;D

Very recognisable, i once was hunting for a Shinobi cab when i was 8 years old or so. Shinobi was the baddest thing in the world.  I actually thought i could find one for cheap, i got like $5 allowance a month  :laugh2:. For months i checked the newspaper ads and even called up companies in the yellow pages.

I also had this fantasy that my Commodore 64 would pay out my high scores in money like some slotmachine  :laugh2:

Anyways, i finally got my Shinobi  :cheers:

coinopman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2009, 09:18:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:33:23 pm »
Where can I get the plans for this cab? I looked at weecade's site but the the printout i made is too small to read.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:24:35 am »
Looking good!  :applaud:

Good job on the metal work, did you bend/cut it yourself? 

Im looking forward to seeing the artwork :)

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:08 am »
Very soon you'll finally be one of those rich kids  ;D

Very recognisable, i once was hunting for a Shinobi cab when i was 8 years old or so. Shinobi was the baddest thing in the world.  I actually thought i could find one for cheap, i got like $5 allowance a month  :laugh2:. For months i checked the newspaper ads and even called up companies in the yellow pages.

I also had this fantasy that my Commodore 64 would pay out my high scores in money like some slotmachine  :laugh2:

Anyways, i finally got my Shinobi  :cheers:

Many gratz to yo my friend....shinobi is one of the favorites.Plz post a pic of your cab PLEASEEE

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:08 am »
Where can I get the plans for this cab? I looked at weecade's site but the the printout i made is too small to read.

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/WeeCade_plans_1.0.pdf

just zoom the plans

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:08:36 am »
Looking good!  :applaud:

Good job on the metal work, did you bend/cut it yourself? 

Im looking forward to seeing the artwork :)

Thank you. I actualy gave the autocad plans to a "factory" of metal (dont know how to say that) and they made it. The machine they use it is called CNC

Me too ...  i cant wait for the artwork. Cabinet without artwork is not a cabinet

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:45:53 am »
The hardware staff are all inside the cab

The monitors and sounds supply will be direct from the PSU (450W chieftech)

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 07:51:19 am »
Can anyone help me with this???
I consider the lights of the marquee be like this which are for tower modding.

AC RYAN ACR-CC3053 TWIN-30 CCFL LIGHT WHITE

What you say...will the light be faire enough for the marquee??

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:58:40 am »
I have had several inverters for cheap casemod ccfls burn out, in a couple of cases with that smell and melting up their plastic box before making the PSU in the computer shut down.

I would not be using them again with the price is all that matters construction they use on them. At least with mains powered things there are approvals they have to go thru, nothing like that for cheap nasty casemod lights.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:05:53 am »
I have had several inverters for cheap casemod ccfls burn out, in a couple of cases with that smell and melting up their plastic box before making the PSU in the computer shut down.

I would not be using them again with the price is all that matters construction they use on them. At least with mains powered things there are approvals they have to go thru, nothing like that for cheap nasty casemod lights.

You are saying that i souldnt use them cause this lights are overheating and the psu will shut down in sever hours of use????

"At least with mains powered things there are approvals they have to go thru, nothing like that for cheap nasty casemod lights"

Please explain this in different words (my english are not so good)

Thanks for you reply :)

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:27 am »
I am going with these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/55351

They seem to be the recommended lighting for marquees (apart from the novamatrix from GGG.

Good to see the artwork up bud! CP is moving along! Not far from finishing it!

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
I am going with these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/55351

They seem to be the recommended lighting for marquees (apart from the novamatrix from GGG.

Good to see the artwork up bud! CP is moving along! Not far from finishing it!

Whats the name of the brand of those lights??!

I wish i can find them here in greece...dont want them to be shipped from far.....defenetly they will break :(

Cant wait for the cp artwork..... :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:00:07 am by dkssprs »

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 05:44:27 pm »
Here are some photoes of my progress of today.

At last!!!!!I have found rubber feet for my cab.I like their shape but the colour isnt the best for my cab.But at the point they are mounted arent so visible...so its ok :)

This is the pushbutton i will use for the power ON of my cab.I am thinking mounting it there.Whats your opinion?Is it the right place?

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 06:12:49 pm »
Thats basically where I got my on/off switch.

Where did you get your rubber feet at? And how much $$?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:41:44 pm »
Here are the speaker covers. I think they are simple and classic. I dont know if they are the best choice for my cab.I really dont know if i use them.  ::) Does anyone know a link to see different types of covers and maybe order them?

IG-88 I leave in greece and the shop i got them isnt for online shoping. You can find like these rubber feets from shop that sels doors and door - handles.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:50:42 pm by dkssprs »

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:59 am »
My choice for joysticks is 2 Mag stick S black

Whats your opinion about these joys.Are they the right choice.
I am not totaly convinced for their performance.
And also i dont see any difference when i switch them from 4way to 8way.??!!
Please rate them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:18:47 am by dkssprs »

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 10:36:23 am »
how are you gonna wire the monitor and PC to the power button? Thats one thing I haven't figured out for my cab yet.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 11:57:15 am »
how are you gonna wire the monitor and PC to the power button? Thats one thing I haven't figured out for my cab yet.

I did this

The monitor and the sound speakers supply is direct to the PSU 450W.
The grey cable is for the monitor and the black for the speakers. You must have some expierence to do the wiring inside the psu...but it is easy.
I wish i helped

system01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2023, 08:06:55 pm
  • System Idle Processes are the Devil's Playthings
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 01:24:19 pm »
Whoah, that might be a pretty good idea!  Are you saying that you can switch the AC off when the PSU switches off?  Or do you have to physically flip the switch in the back after everything else is shut down?

And on the power button:  If it were mine Id put it in the back.  It looks like those feet are a bit shallow, and I wouldnt want to lift it up every time to turn it on/off.  If you can fit your hand underneath though, Id put it where you have in the first pic, but a bit closer to the front or side.

childsremix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2019, 02:43:01 am
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 03:08:47 pm »
Awesome project!  Im also doing the same Bartop as you but slightly different.  I do have one question but isnt your control panel different?  I noticed that the joystick is on the far right side vs. the standard left side then the buttons.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 04:56:36 pm »
IIRC dkssprs is Greek and I think I remember him saying they play with the sticks on the other side.

2secs...

Ah yes...

why are the joysticks on the right side?

In greece we are used to play the joys with the right hand and when we were about to play with a joy at the left side we cross our hands

Looking great btw.  :)

You 'may' want to reconsider the magsticks, I don't know many people who like them, I never had them myself but I haven't heard the best things about them. From what I can gather they are a of a similar feel to the T-Sticks Ultimarc used to stock. I used to have a pair of T-sticks on my old cab and I wasn't too keen on them as they were too stiff for my liking, I believe the Magsticks have a similar stiffness. I don't know what kind of stick you are after but I can recommend the Sanwa JLF or JLW. I imagine you have chosen magsticks for the above CP 4/8way operability? If that what you are after I would say go for the Ultimarc U360 (which is essentially a modified Sanwa JLW). You can change the JLW/JLF to 4-way mode but you have to do it from the bottom of the stick. I don't know anything about Seimitsu stick ATM so I cant give you any input on those.

As for the Magsticks 4/8way performance, you should feel that you cannot hit the diagonal corners (and actuate the microswitches) when in 4-way mode. If you can still hit the corners in both modes the components must not be assembled correctly on the shaft (if you have had it apart) or there must be another fault. Either way there should be able to tell the difference between the two modes.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:30 am »
Whoah, that might be a pretty good idea!  Are you saying that you can switch the AC off when the PSU switches off?  Or do you have to physically flip the switch in the back after everything else is shut down?

And on the power button:  If it were mine Id put it in the back.  It looks like those feet are a bit shallow, and I wouldnt want to lift it up every time to turn it on/off.  If you can fit your hand underneath though, Id put it where you have in the first pic, but a bit closer to the front or side.

To switch of the cabinet (pc + monitor) , by the way i use, i only press the pushbutton off the motherboards...and the cabinet switch off like a normal pc. I cant understand why you say that i might have to physically flip the switch in the back after everything else is shut down. When a psu switch off all the load on it switches off.Please if i didnt uderstabd your question please make it again.

Now about the pushbutton....i cant fit my hand under the cab...but it could be a good idea.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 12:35:55 am »
@ Franco B

Exactly the stiffness is the bad feeling with these joys but i couldnt remember the word "stiff" . They are tooo stiff with small space to move the stick....in other words....shrt moves with the stick. I dont think i like them. But i must get used with them cause as you can see under the cp the joys are not mounted with screws but i stick them using ......GOD I DONT KNOW HOW TO SAY IT IN ENGLISH...@!@!#$!! :banghead: :banghead:
The mean is that i cant unmount them  :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :hissy:

Sry for my bad english....i have years to write so much in english...but i am getting better day by day.....look look ..... I speak england very best!! :laugh2:

thatitalian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 06:44:57 am »
Say the word in Greek. I will translate (hopefully). ;D

I had the mags in my first cab. I thought they were ok. Definitely stiff but loved the short throw on them! This time I am rolling with the U360's, them seem really sweet with the medium spring and circular restrictors.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 09:47:21 am »
Happy new year thatitalian

The word is "ηλεκτροσυγκοληση"....good luck to you my friend  :laugh2:

system01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2023, 08:06:55 pm
  • System Idle Processes are the Devil's Playthings
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 08:59:40 pm »

To switch of the cabinet (pc + monitor) , by the way i use, i only press the pushbutton off the motherboards...and the cabinet switch off like a normal pc. I cant understand why you say that i might have to physically flip the switch in the back after everything else is shut down. When a psu switch off all the load on it switches off.Please if i didnt uderstabd your question please make it again.

No, you heard me right.  Do you have details on how you did that.  I dont have any extra PSUs at home anymore to look at.

The way I did it was with the SmartStrip with the 'control' on the PSU.  Then a single power button was wired to the mobo.  Your way would cut out the whole SmartStrip.

What I meant with the extra switch was:  If you wired your other devices to the input side of the PSU, behind the switch or AC socket.  Then the PC would shut down normally, but youd have to flip the PSU I/O switch to turn everything else off.

Hope that makes sense.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 01:10:29 am »
[/quote]system01

What I meant with the extra switch was:  If you wired your other devices to the input side of the PSU, behind the switch or AC socket.  Then the PC would shut down normally, but youd have to flip the PSU I/O switch to turn everything else off.

Hope that makes sense.
[/quote]

Yes now its clear.The devices that will be connected (speaking for my project) are the pc , monitor TFT, Speakers and the cothode lights. When i push the pushbutton to shut down the cab. the monitor and the speakers will be in "stand by", and you are right....if i want to totaly switch off the cabinet i have to physically flip the psu switch.Later i will give you details on how to do it. Now i am in the F#$@@$%N ARMY  :hissy:  :banghead: :angry: :cry:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:19:44 am by dkssprs »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:35 am »
Happy new year thatitalian

The word is "ηλεκτροσυγκοληση"....good luck to you my friend  :laugh2:

Is that supposed to be a portable welder?  :)
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

thatitalian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 07:37:57 am »
Lol, was just about to say that!

I think it translates to electric welding but then I thought he meant soldering or welding.

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:46 am »
Very nice very nice
Many gratz to you gentlmen!!!!  :applaud:  :applaud:

Please pm me your adresses to send you the prizes  :cheers:

here they are

thatitalian can choose first

thatitalian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 10:26:53 am »
THE SHOWCASE IS MINE! >:D

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 10:43:11 am »
THE SHOWCASE IS MINE! >:D

OK then ...showcase shipping to london right away.  :afro:

I am curous , what have you figured out about the cp artwork.  Do you have any examples....... ?
If you have i would take a look to them ...when i have the time ofcourse  ;D ;D ( :banghead:;D

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 12:43:14 pm »
I am about to decide for the sound system. I have next to me 2 speakers for laptop USB pwered supply.I bought them 4dollars  :-[ :laugh2:
I think my bartop deserves a better sound system.The bad thing is that i dont know much about speakers sound amplifiers.....can anyone suggest me a complete sound system for my cab?

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »
Damn!!  :banghead:   Always too late. Second prize isn't to bad tho....

On my bartop I decased the speakers to help fit (can't remember the brand, Boston sticks in my mind) and the sound quality dropped considerably. I don't know whether the case helps with acoustics or what but luckily I didn't find out after they were installed. Something to think about anyway.....
-HarumaN

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 07:08:08 am »
The project now is very close to paint it.
One of the most difficult things is to mount the monitor total horizontialy (180 degrees)...and i think i made it( :banghead:)
here are some photoes of the progress...

I have the feeling that this thing is going to be good.... :dizzy:

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 09:11:40 am »
Wow, why use metal to support the back of the monitor like that?

Will you be adding t-molding also?
-HarumaN

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 09:46:43 am »
Wow, why use metal to support the back of the monitor like that?

Will you be adding t-molding also?

To tell you the truth i had the same question. I was about to use wood for the monitors support but at the end i choosed the metal cause every dimension is total precised .... no mistakes with metal...the monitor is placed absolutely centered inside the cab.

Now about the t-molding which i love it....
i cant add t-molding cause i dont know the way to cut the "path" at the wood to mount it. No woodshop will do that "path" here in greece cause they all say that at the point the side panels have the curve , they cant cut the "path". I hope you understand what i mean with the word "path"?