Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Error Reading Game File List" after removing brackets from gamelist file  (Read 4073 times)

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
Hello-
    I am running into a problem when trying to just remove the brackets from a gamelist file for Sega Genesis.  Note, that I have been able to remove the brackets from the names of several other gamelists and it works just fine.  It's only the 'All Games' list for Sega Genesis that's giving me issues.

I open up Mala and through the tree I select Sega Genesis.   The gamelist works just fine when I have all the brackets included.   Then I go into the Mala Gamelist editor and I click GAMELIST, REMOVE BRACKETS FROM NAME, ALL.   Then I save and overwrite the 'All Games' gamelist.    Once I go back into Mala and select Sega Genesis, I get a "Error Reading Game File List" error message.   I just don't get it.   I looked in the Mala.Exe.Log file and this is what it says:

2008/12/01  22:53:38.98   Error: Object Class: TfrmMain, Object Function: LoadGameList, Exception Class: EFOpenError, Exception Message: Cannot open file E:\Emulators\Mala\All Games.ml5

I've attached a screenshot of the error, and then a copy of the gamelist BEFORE the brackets were removed, and then a copy of the gamelist AFTER the brackets were removed that causes the errors.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's up with this?   

Thanks
-Mark

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: "Error Reading Game File List" after removing brackets from gamelist file
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:28:12 am »
Dude,

Your before and after files look like completley different gameliats.

Ideally it would be good the show that same file before (when it worked) and after

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:04:26 am »
Not sure what you mean loadman, it is the same list.  I just downloaded my own attachment and checked again.   For instance, if I open the two files in notepad, they both start like this...

Before Removal:
 New gamelist  l"©‘þlã@b×l‘þlã@¤  16 Tiles Mahjong (Unl) [c]   16 Tiles Mahjong (Unl) [c]                              E:\Emulators\Sega Genesis\romsbin  3 Ninjas Kick Back (U) [!]   3 Ninjas Kick Back (U) [!]                              E:\Emulators\Sega Genesis\romsbin  036 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples 32X (E) [!]   036 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples 32X (E) [!]

After Removal:
 New gamelist  l"©‘þlã@b×l‘þlã@¤  16 Tiles Mahjong (Unl) [c]   16 Tiles Mahjong                              E:\Emulators\Sega Genesis\romsbin  3 Ninjas Kick Back (U) [!]   3 Ninjas Kick Back                              E:\Emulators\Sega Genesis\romsbin  036 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples 32X (E) [!]   (36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples 32X

As you can see this list contains the exact same games, just without the (){}[] symbols.

So if you could please let me know what you mean, I'd be happy to post whatever it is you're looking for...

Thanks
-Mark

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:30 pm »
OK so is one of the games name completley encllosed in brackets meaning after it would be blank after?

If so mala would not handle that right now

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:07:37 pm »
No, I'm afraid not.  None of my games are completely enclosed by brackets or anything else.

Have any other ideas?   

Thanks
-Mark

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 04:24:17 am »
Have you tried the remove the brackets on the fly option?

options-gui-options-gamelists

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »
That option appears to still work.  Thanks!