Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Player 3 and 4 joysticks: common orientation?  (Read 12393 times)

angryred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 12:46:57 am
Player 3 and 4 joysticks: common orientation?
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:44:50 pm »
I'm finishing up my custom control panel, and I'm boggled on how to position the player 3 and 4 joysticks.  It's a standard width cab-- an old Phoenix-- and the 4 player panel wraps partially around the sides.

What's getting me is that I can't figure out whether to orient the joysticks so that up is relative to the screen (pointing straight at it) or to the player (which would put it at a steep diagonal, almost horizontal).  Is there anybody out there with a 4-player panel who's had to deal with this issue, and how did you resolve it?

mrserv0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 09:20:06 pm
Re: Player 3 and 4 joysticks: common orientation?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:48 pm »

UP should be facing the screen. not UP as in your pressing up at button 1

So whatever position player 3 and 4 stand in stand like your playing and thats up , so its on an angle not 90 degrees

heres underneath how its mounted at an angle

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:56:08 pm by mrserv0n »

web.geek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2021, 05:38:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »
Here comes another holy war ;D

I have mine angled (not "up points to monitor"), and I am starting to understand those who don't recommend this approach. I don't play the 3 or 4 player games much, so I didn't really notice until recently. Now I know why my kids were never good at Gauntlet. :o

There have been many debates on this topic, so I would recommend searching.

EDIT: Here's an example
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:16:37 pm by web.geek »
To game, or not to game...what kind of question is that!?

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:16:17 pm »
Yes, this is a common 'holy war', but the fact is that in most 4 player arcade games the joysticks all point the same way (toward and perpendicular to the monitor).  Look at the mounting bolts on a Gauntlet CP for instance.

EDIT: here are the 1st four 4p simultaneous games I looked up on MAWS.  Every single one has the joysticks all pointing the same way.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:23:13 pm by ahofle »

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:20:15 pm »
Holy War?  Charge! 

Angling the outer joysticks, it seems, was a practice born of home-arcade building for whatever reason.   

Up towards the monitor avoids any and all confusion.  You don't have to be standing against the controls to know it either (see Gauntlet CP in ahofle's post).   Angling joysticks, on the other hand, DEMANDS a specific standing position. 

Here's another point I always bring up: most (if not all) 4-player simultaneous games were simple to control.  "Comfort" for outer players should be way on the back burner (which is why people sometimes angle).  If they can reach the stick and buttons, they can play a decent game of Gauntlet. 

This thread is repeat information as pointed out.  Do a search and you'll have a night's worth of reading on this topic. 

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:09:15 pm »

As has been pointed out, mrserv0n's opinion is certainly not the only one. I have only ever come across one cab with angled sticks -- Xenophobe.

For those who choose to angle their sticks, I have one thing to say ... SmashTV.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »
For those who choose to angle their sticks, I have one thing to say ... SmashTV.

May I humbly add "Total Carnage".   :cheers:

nailsn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 06:40:15 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 07:02:28 am »
You can still play smash tv or the any other two-joystick game in 2 Player Mode if you have your 3rd and 4th joysticks in a 45° angled position. In this case you just have to remap the diagonal directions to the normal ones for this particular game in mame. (Of course this only works with a mame cab)

Personally I prefer the angled way, because I played on an original 4Player Gauntlet Cab and its was a pain in the ***, standing as the Warrior on the left with my 3 friends on the right. The Space was limited so that I was forced to stand angled to the monitor struggling with controls aimed at the screen.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:37:50 pm »
[war=on]  ;)

I didn't like the non-angled sticks for 95% of the games in the arcades that had angled sides.  Too often I'd end up going diagonal to the direction I wanted to go. :hissy:    (My solution: keep BMO4PCP bottom edge straight or almost straight across.)

:dunno  To each there own.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:42:46 pm »
I'd say make a mock up on cardboard or something and try it out.  See which way you prefer playing or what feels right.  Maybe have the people who would be playing P3 and P4 try it out also since they are the ones who will be affected by this.  Easier to change it before you get your CP all done and find out you don't like it.

That being said, I tried angled at first and quickly changed.  It just wasn't good....  But, I always play as P1 so it doesn't affect me as much.   ;D

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:15:30 pm »

When you are playing a game... you are thinking about the game... and not the
joystick.   When you are supposed to react immediately to a situation,  for example...
pressing Up to escape a bullet...  Your brain will think up is upwards... towards the
monitor.   Does not matter that you are standing at an angle... your brain still will think
in relation to the on-screen direction needed.

Not me. 

In order to consistently use the outside player sticks without messups, I would have to physically orient my body so away from me was up on the screen, crowding the middle players.  I knew a few friends who were the same of needing to orient the body back in the day (the ones I still have contact with don't play anymore AFAIK).  I found that top view games had a less problems for me, but side view and 3/4 view games sucked pretty bad, and left or right messed up more than up or down.  Left & right is and always will be sideways relative to my body, the easiest movement possible with elbow acting as pivot point.  And the time-critical moments are when I messed up the most often.  But that's me, others differ.

Of course, when I tried building my own with angled joysticks, I couldn't consistently use them without messups, either.  (My up & down seem to be more screen oriented, as xiaou2 describes) :( 

Thus my current solution of non-angled CPs, or play only the middle players.  (My prior solution was to half rotate the sticks, but that's doesn't work very well.)
Robin
Knowledge is Power

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:56:17 pm »

FTW :applaud:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:58:40 pm by brandon »

angryred

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 12:46:57 am
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:58:23 pm »
Here comes another holy war ;D

Yes, this is a common 'holy war', but the fact is...

Holy War?  Charge!

...Oops. ...Heh.

Yes, that's convincing. And Karate Champ.  And others I'm sure I won't think of 'til I try to play them with angled sticks. It's a fairly simple matter in MAME to reconfigure diagonals if that feels better for someone in particular; and even though my panel is designed for players 3 and 4 to approach at 45 degree angles, it's probably better for me to keep them straight for the 2 player dual joystick games, as those will most likely get more play.

Anyway, didn't mean to start a fire. ;)  Thanks for the advice and information.  I was going to go with angled, but I see now a lot more reasons to keep them straight, at the very least as far as what-games-will-get-played-most is concerned. Thanks.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 11:28:10 pm »
You can still play smash tv or the any other two-joystick game in 2 Player Mode if you have your 3rd and 4th joysticks in a 45° angled position. In this case you just have to remap the diagonal directions to the normal ones for this particular game in mame. (Of course this only works with a mame cab)

That doesn't work.
You won't be able to shoot at the diagonals that way.

You can map UP=Up&Right and RIGHT=Right&Down, but that won't let you shoot to the upper right by hitting Right only.
When you hit between your diagonals you won't get ANY input to the game.

nailsn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 06:40:15 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:42:04 am »

That doesn't work.

You can map UP=Up&Right and RIGHT=Right&Down, but that won't let you shoot to the upper right by hitting Right only.

Yup, You're right! Miscalculation by me. thx

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 11:15:11 am
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 08:06:10 am »
It's still possible to play SmashTV when P3 and P4 are angled - you just need a couple of extra joysticks.  ;)

To be honest, I never play with the P3 and P4 controls - and my friends and family have never complained. But... you've all convinced me. My cp has the room to change the orientation and it's just four screws per stick - so I'm going to make the change.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:56:36 am »
we have a 4 player panel right here at work, where player 3 and 4 are at 45degree angles, and just played some sunset riders, TMNT, gauntlet, and crime fighters, taking turns between player 3 and 4, and i cannot imagine trying to play them if the sticks were not rotated 45 degrees.    in my mind, up is away from me, not up on the screen, right it towards the buttons.. no matter what angle i am playing at, the joystick needs to be relative to my body, not the screen.  it does limit your ability to play dual joystick games, but for 4 player games, i can't imagine it any other way.  if i were playing with other people and the joysticks weren't rotated, i'd have to be standing along the front edge of the panel, and not at an angle like the buttons are

just because people tell you it needs to be one way, doesnt make that true...your best bet is to make a mock panel and test it.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 11:12:44 pm »
we have a 4 player panel right here at work, where player 3 and 4 are at 45degree angles, and just played some sunset riders, TMNT, gauntlet, and crime fighters, taking turns between player 3 and 4, and i cannot imagine trying to play them if the sticks were not rotated 45 degrees.    in my mind, up is away from me, not up on the screen, right it towards the buttons.. no matter what angle i am playing at, the joystick needs to be relative to my body, not the screen.  it does limit your ability to play dual joystick games, but for 4 player games, i can't imagine it any other way.  if i were playing with other people and the joysticks weren't rotated, i'd have to be standing along the front edge of the panel, and not at an angle like the buttons are

If angle sticks works for you and the friends, that's great.  I think the main issue, though, is that many new builders think that angling is the defacto rule.  There are people who like (or, at worst, live with) the angled sticks and those who regret it.  Yes, a preliminary mock-up for testing is always recommended, but absolutely required for 4-player panels. 

just because people tell you it needs to be one way, doesnt make that true...

I don't think anyone's telling anyone else what anything needs to be (at least not intentionally).  Angle away!   ;)

But people do come here with questions, and others give advice based on a combination of personal experience and those fussy arcade standards.  It's all just guidelines; do with it as you will.   ;)

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 01:19:30 pm »

That doesn't work.

Actually, it's technically possible to map the diagonals in mame.  More steps to set up, and in the past (haven't tried recently) there sometimes was a one frame hiccup going to diagonals. :-\  Anyway...

Example: player far left has stick angled 45 degrees clockwise.  To "unrotate", there are three cases when mame should send the game "Up": jUp + jLeft (as straight up), jLeft (as up+left), and JUp (as up+right).  So in mame's up, map:
jUp jLeft OR jLeft NOT jUp NOT jDown OR jUp NOT jLeft NOT jRight.

To physically do this, enter mame's Input menu, enter, move stick straight up, wait until mame registers, enter, diagonal up left, quickly center, quickly double tap diagonal up right, quickly double tap diagonal down left, wait, enter, diagonal up right, double up left, double down right.  (Or you could hand edit the cfg file, if you know how)  The other directions need to mapped similarly, of course:

mame down: jDown jRight OR jRight NOT jUp NOT jDown OR jDown NOT jLeft NOT jRight
mame left: jDown jLeft OR jDown NOT jLeft NOT jRight OR jLeft NOT jUp NOT jDown
mame right: jUp jRight OR jUp NOT jLeft NOT jRight OR jRight NOT jUp NOT jDown

Sorry for going techie again. ;D
Robin
Knowledge is Power

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 07:18:38 pm
  • RTFM
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 02:25:37 pm »
Captain America and The Avengers used angled sticks for p3 and p4.  My MAME cab is a gutted Cap Am, I can prove it with the original CP and bolt hole patterns.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:18 am »

Actually, it's technically possible to map the diagonals in mame.  More steps to set up, and in the past (haven't tried recently) there sometimes was a one frame hiccup going to diagonals. :-\  Anyway...

Example: player far left has stick angled 45 degrees clockwise.  To "unrotate", there are three cases when mame should send the game "Up": jUp + jLeft (as straight up), jLeft (as up+left), and JUp (as up+right).  So in mame's up, map:
jUp jLeft OR jLeft NOT jUp NOT jDown OR jUp NOT jLeft NOT jRight.

To physically do this, enter mame's Input menu, enter, move stick straight up, wait until mame registers, enter, diagonal up left, quickly center, quickly double tap diagonal up right, quickly double tap diagonal down left, wait, enter, diagonal up right, double up left, double down right.  (Or you could hand edit the cfg file, if you know how)  The other directions need to mapped similarly, of course:

mame down: jDown jRight OR jRight NOT jUp NOT jDown OR jDown NOT jLeft NOT jRight
mame left: jDown jLeft OR jDown NOT jLeft NOT jRight OR jLeft NOT jUp NOT jDown
mame right: jUp jRight OR jUp NOT jLeft NOT jRight OR jRight NOT jUp NOT jDown

Sorry for going techie again. ;D
I am sorry to dig this up from a 4 year burial, but I need to ask if anyone knows if this technique can be used to remap 8-way joysticks for use in q-bert. I'd love to be able to play q-bert and when I mapped the diagonals, it worked like crap. Does anyone do this to get q-bert playable? Where can you manually set this in the game specific ini in mame? Sorry for being a noob.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:15:31 am by MTPPC »
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »
Q*Bert is only going to work right with a 4-way stick installed at a 45 degree angle.

And this webpage right here is single handed responsible for people angling player 3 and 4.

http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/30.html

The guy who wrote the website mistakenly thought side sticks were supposed to get angled, wrote that, and now hundreds of people have built cabinets that are hard to control. I don't really care if you are some exception ninja who can play with your angled stick, most people can't and that is why only a tiny handful of real arcade games angled the sticks (and almost all of those bombed hard)

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »
Q*Bert is only going to work right with a 4-way stick installed at a 45 degree angle.

And this webpage right here is single handed responsible for people angling player 3 and 4.

http://www.wickedretarded.com/~crapmame/30.html

The guy who wrote the website mistakenly thought side sticks were supposed to get angled, wrote that, and now hundreds of people have built cabinets that are hard to control. I don't really care if you are some exception ninja who can play with your angled stick, most people can't and that is why only a tiny handful of real arcade games angled the sticks (and almost all of those bombed hard)

Looking at that photo, Paige, I see that the problem is that the BUTTONS should be angled. If they were (like Gauntlet is), all would have been fine.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 11:58:50 pm »
Unstupids rule regarding 4 player panels:  "Don't build a 4 player panel!"
This rule is not for anyone specific, rather it is for anyone reading these boards:

Here is why you don't build a 4 player panel:
1. We all know you don't have 3 friends!
2. You will probably not find 4 people that all want to play Simpsons, X-Men, Gauntlet or NBA Jam at the same time.
3. If you do find 4 people that all want to play Simpsons at the same time they probably won't be at your house, Why not?  See #1!

:D

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:28:08 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 06:43:54 am »
My wife asked me why I was going to build a 4-player cab and I said it was for when "people come over".  She promptly replied "What people?" and I built a 2-player instead. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:20 am »
We have housefuls of people all the time.

Wife: you should make one four player
Me: so two people can watch two other people play street fighter but have sticks to lean on?
Wife: I don't understand anything about your toys
Me:   :timebomb: I'll be in the garage

Trip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:37:04 pm
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 09:53:50 am »
I am starting to figure out this don't angle your joysticks thing.  Got saddled with a outside joystick this weekend and something didn't feel right, mine are angled.  So I temp did it no angle and it still didn't feel right.   I can't decide to angle or not to angle, need to invite friends with beer over and figure it out.   :lol

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »
I know what you mean, Trip. Bottom line, Being player 3 or 4 sucks no matter how it is orientated.  :lol

I've played on angles and straight and 90 degrees, and found them all to work equally as crappy. I believe any choice that is play tested on the cabinet first is the best choice. But, go with straight if possible simply for Smash TV, just as Cheffo commented (4 years ago).

Trip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »
I know what you mean, Trip. Bottom line, Being player 3 or 4 sucks no matter how it is orientated.  :lol

I've played on angles and straight and 90 degrees, and found them all to work equally as crappy. I believe any choice that is play tested on the cabinet first is the best choice. But, go with straight if possible simply for Smash TV, just as Cheffo commented (4 years ago).

I need to try Smash TV to see what ya'll mean.  It's not one of my favorites, so I haven't played it in years.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 02:06:22 pm »
I need to try Smash TV to see what ya'll mean.  It's not one of my favorites, so I haven't played it in years.

It's basically coop 2-player Robotron...each player uses two sticks.  If the outer two sticks are angled differently than the inner two, that makes it...challenging. :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 02:10:43 pm »
It's basically coop 2-player Robotron...each player uses two sticks.  If the outer two sticks are angled differently than the inner two, that makes it...challenging embarrassing. :)

FTFY  ;)

Trip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »
It's basically coop 2-player Robotron...each player uses two sticks.  If the outer two sticks are angled differently than the inner two, that makes it...challenging. :)

Oh ok, yeah I don't think that would be good with my current control panel even if the joysticks weren't angled.  Seems like it would get really confusing sitting at the 3rd and 4th player spots using the 1 and 2 joysticks.

Not going to set up my control panel for a game I don't play a lot.  My plan is to get me and a few friends drunk and see if we can use angled or not angled.  Which one ever has the most success in that state will be the state my CP stays in.  LOL
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:20:49 pm by Trip »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:46:13 am
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 11:55:41 am »
Since this topic seems to come up often around here, I've been paying attention to stick angling on original machines.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the layouts are truly originals or someone recreating a machine or doing a conversion.  I've seen pictures of Open Ice and Rampage: World Tour machines with angled sticks yet it seems the actual originals were not angled. As far as I can tell, these machines did indeed use angled sticks for the outside players:

WWF Wrestlefest
King of the Dragons
Desert Assault
Violent Storm
Captain America & the Avengers
NBA Jam Extreme
Hard Yardage
Pit Fighter
Combatribes
Xenophobe

Since there are so many 3 and 4 player cabs that I can't even find pictures of, I'm sure this list should be much larger.  The Smash TV argument is a pretty good reason not to angle your sticks but I honestly think the whole myth about no commercial cabinets angling the outer sticks is pretty silly.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »
Here is an angled cab I found a while back:

Nephasth

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »
Bottom line, Being player 3 or 4 sucks no matter how it is orientated.  :lol

Not on the Beast. ;)

Trip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 12:37:29 pm »

Not on the Beast. ;)

You cheated, LOL

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 12:42:16 pm »

Not on the Beast. ;)

Can't argue that one.  :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »
You cheated, LOL

:lol

Not on the Beast. ;)

Can't argue that one.  :cheers:

Sucks though... I can't get the true Virtua Fighter experience on the Beast... :'(
 :laugh2:

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:46:13 am
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »
While the cabinet may have angles sides... it does not mean that the actual sticks are angled.

To know that for sure, you would have to see the underside of the control panel (unless the bolts are showing)
... and also to double check it against the games manual.

As said, there were many conversion games, in which someone changed the stick orientation, or left it that
way from a previous game.

And also, its about the kind of game you are playing.  Certain games are not as 'direction critical' as others.. and
many of them tend to play slow as well.   Some of these may have also had 4 ways in there too... which eliminates the
diagonals issues.

Furthermore, if you list all the games that had the sticks oriented square to the monitor... that list will be like 50 to 1  over the 'true' angled sticked cabs.

All games on the list I made have the bolts showing.  I checked multiple sources for all of them. If I couldn't tell, I didn't list it.  There were dozens of games that I couldn't find a clear picture at all. I can certainly assure you that the radio would be nowhere near 50 to 1.  It's probably around 10:1. Although not the most definitive or complete list, KLOV shows 250 3-4 player games and this includes a bunch of racing games, split monitor games and gun games, none of which would quality for this argument. There is no doubt that non-angled sticks for the side players outnumber the angled but there seems to be a consensus around here that Virtua Fighter (which I didn't even put on my list) and Captain America are literally the only commercially produced games with angling. This is simply not true.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:43 pm »
Ok, lets look at this list of supposed hard evidence for the correctness and awesomeness of angling player 3 and 4. Fully 50 percent of the examples are 3 player titles that had angled joysticks for the sole purpose of getting 3 sets of arms onto a control panel only big enough for 2 people. 1 wasn't angled in the first place. The other 4 all bombed. Great examples.

WWF Wrestlefest - Not angled.
King of the Dragons - Not a 4 player game.
Desert Assault - Yep, slight angle on a Data East title that bombed.
Violent Storm - Not 4 players, not available as a dedicated game as far as I can tell.
Captain America & the Avengers - Yep, another slight angle on another Data East bomb.
NBA Jam Extreme - Yep, slight angle on the game that killed the series.
Hard Yardage - Yep, another bomb with a slight angle.
Pit Fighter - Not a 4 player game.
Combatribes - Not a 4 player game. Picture on klov is a bad 3 player conversion stuffed into a 2 player machine.
Xenophobe - Not a 4 player game.

Since this topic seems to come up often around here, I've been paying attention to stick angling on original machines.  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the layouts are truly originals or someone recreating a machine or doing a conversion.  I've seen pictures of Open Ice and Rampage: World Tour machines with angled sticks yet it seems the actual originals were not angled. As far as I can tell, these machines did indeed use angled sticks for the outside players:

WWF Wrestlefest
King of the Dragons
Desert Assault
Violent Storm
Captain America & the Avengers
NBA Jam Extreme
Hard Yardage
Pit Fighter
Combatribes
Xenophobe

Since there are so many 3 and 4 player cabs that I can't even find pictures of, I'm sure this list should be much larger.  The Smash TV argument is a pretty good reason not to angle your sticks but I honestly think the whole myth about no commercial cabinets angling the outer sticks is pretty silly.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.