Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game competition #8: Mr. Do!  (Read 14567 times)

fronty

• Trade Count: (0)
Game competition #8: Mr. Do!
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:45:34 pm »
The game for round 8 is Mr. Do!

Rules

- Any version of the game will do,  Use Universal licensed version (mame name "mrdo"), default settings, no cheats.

- Use any mame version or variant you wish.

- Last day is Monday, December 15th (around midnight Pacific time). A bit shorter than usual but should give us time for one extra game before the end of the year.

- High score wins (a tie means there's more than one winner).

- No savestates, savestate practices, etc during the round.

Scoring info courtesy of MAWS:

- SCORING -

Eating a cherry : 50 points.

Eating a series of 8 cherries in a row : 500 points bonus.

Killing a monster with your snowball : 500 points.

Killing one monster with one apple : 1,000 points.

Killing two monsters with one apple : 2,000 points.

Killing three monsters with one apple : 4,000 points.

Killing four monsters with one apple : 6,000 points.

Killing five or more monsters with one apple : 8,000 points.

Collecting special (free credit) diamond : 8,000 points.

Collecting bonus treat from empty monster home : 500 points on level one, increasing by 500 points per level up to a maximum of 8,000 points on level 15 onwards.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:13:11 pm by FrontyDev »

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Re: Game competition #8: Mr. Do!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:45:25 pm »
I happen to actually own this PCB and probably only played it 10x It was inside my taito cab conversion project, i ended up ordering a jamma adaptor for it and luckily the game worked and i ended up stacking it above my Gun.Smoke PCB. I happen to suck at this game , its fun though i'm just not very good at it. Is the game called Mr. Do because the music goes; Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do dOO dOOOdoo Dooo Do ?

Picture below is the PCB's ontop of each other for easy access incase i want to swap games really quick I can just attach the jamma harness to the jamma adaptors.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:24:23 pm »
I see Fronty spiced up the delivery. Certainly not my favorite but I'll give it some love.

As for the deadline, remember there are thirty-one days in the month, so the 18th leaves thirteen days left for the last one.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 11:56:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:20:21 am »
So.... what is the high score to beat so far?  Has anybody managed to rack up a fair effort yet?
Check out my completed projects!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:48:11 am »
I generally score about 50,000 when I play.  It is hands down one of my favorite games yet I suck at it and I really don't even know how to play.  For example, I've only gotten the diamond a couple of times and I have no idea how I made it appear...

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:22:07 pm »
Well, I'm sure that getting the diamond is hard, but I've never been able to work it out either.  I think it has something to do with dropping apples that were once monsters.  Anyway, I hope someone out there knows.

My kids love watching me play this game.  What I'd ideally have for this game is a vertical cab with a centered, 4-way joystick (not off to one side, which contributes to one making directional errors).  I'm working on it .....

A question ... are all versions of this game the same, and the same level of difficulty?  Also, there are lots of minor variants (eg Mr Lo!, Mr Du!, etc) and I have no idea whether there are minor differences that might be a big deal, like diamonds easier to get or something like that.  There is also a "Mr Do! (bugfixed)" (MRDOFIX), which begs the question of what is wrong and different between that version and other versions.

Maybe its better that we settle on one version now, rather than disputing scores later. I'd like to suggest that we just agree to only use the parent version of Mr Do! (MRDO).  FrontyDev?

fronty

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 04:10:21 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:51:47 pm by FrontyDev »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »
Just some Mr Do  play tips...

If you eat the center cake/icon...  the 4 super monsters will come out to play.
These can eat apples.  And they move pretty fast so its hard to keep enough
bullet time to kill all of them.  If you can lead them away one path, and quickly
shoot the Letter creature,  you can end the madness and get the needed letter
very swiftly.   Get all the letters,  and you get an extra life... and I think the diamond
also appears after this.  Cant recall.

But,  if you do eat the cake/icon...  after the super-monster round is over...
the regular baddies will be HOPPING MAD!    They will travel like 3x faster than
normal.. and nearly be impossible to escape them all.   

So... its better to only do this early in the levels where its easier.. and or to
only grab the snack when there are only a few regular baddies left.   That way
you arnt swarmed with like 5+ baddies traveling at warp 20 at you.  2-3 baddies
will be more than a handful at that speed.

Other tips:

1)  Make a huge path under an apple.  Wait there standing under it and dont move.
As baddies come... shoot them with your ball.  (dont just waste the apple on one
baddie.  And dont use the apple yet, until the very last moment needed)  If the baddies get too close, and you cant get the ball to return fast enough... them walk away from the apple to let it crush the baddies.

Your Ball has a bit of a power limitation.   The more often its thrown... the longer it
takes to return.  This can be deadly when too many creatures are active.   Using the
apples to take care of as many baddies as possible helps to keep the ball recovering
quickly... or can kill baddies while the ball is recharging.

2) You walk slower when you have to dig a new pathway.   So, if being chased...its
best to walk on paths that are already created.... otherwise the baddies will be able
to catch up to you very quickly - using the path that you dug for them.

3) Digging too many pathways makes it easier for the angered baddies to cut
through and swipe you.  Also makes apples less effective.

4) Winning by killing all the baddies is a lot easier/safer  than trying to get all the
fruit.  Not sure how it works out in points however.

5) Eating the snack can save you from getting ran over by baddies...  but then,
if you do not kill the frozen baddies before the super-monster round is over... they
may just much more trouble afterwards.

fronty

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:54:14 pm by FrontyDev »

dprush83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2020, 12:47:54 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »
41,700 - I saved a snapshot on the cabinet, but don't want to bust out the flashdrive as it won't take long to overtake that score!  :P

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 02:22:17 am »
Here's mine.   72,900 first attempt.

I love this game too.

~ DeLuSioNaL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

fronty

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 02:25:37 am »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:00:18 pm by FrontyDev »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 05:50:22 am »
Sorry to spoil the fun.

FrontyDev, it seems that you like the same games that I do.  I confess that I also love this game and have been playing it a bit recently.  I just managed to displace my old top score.  As you'll see from the screenshots, I just got my 3rd EXTRA Mr. Do! at 138,350.  At level 12 though, it is so hard that I lost my two Dos in only 3k points.

BTW, ABI (now 2nd place at 133k), is my daughter - I'd recorded that high score in her name, so didn't want to claim it for myself. That's why I had to beat it before posting my high-score table .... ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:57:40 am by Zebidee »

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »
Oh my!

My score is embarrasingly low at this point, so I'll practice a bit more before posting.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?  That's a mighty high score, and certainly better than anything I've been able to achieve on this game since 1982.  Then again, I didn't play it that much either, as much as I liked the game.

Also, I'm not aware of many other games that give you a "free credit"  like this one does when you get the diamond.  I only got it once back in like 1984, on a cocktail Mr. Do while waiting for my next racquetball game at the local sports club.  You can imagine my excitement after getting it!  Do you know of any other games that do this?

Shoegazer
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 02:04:43 pm »
Oh my!

My score is embarrasingly low at this point, so I'll practice a bit more before posting.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?  That's a mighty high score, and certainly better than anything I've been able to achieve on this game since 1982.  Then again, I didn't play it that much either, as much as I liked the game.

Also, I'm not aware of many other games that give you a "free credit"  like this one does when you get the diamond.  I only got it once back in like 1984, on a cocktail Mr. Do while waiting for my next racquetball game at the local sports club.  You can imagine my excitement after getting it!  Do you know of any other games that do this?

Shoegazer

Pinball is the only thing I can think of.

My score is 92,000 and some change. I know I won't be coming close to 141,000 anytime soon!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 03:14:11 pm »

My daughter is only 4yo!  She didn't play the game, of course.  My kids like to watch me play the occasional game of Mr. Do! She was watching me when I got the 133k score, so I dedicated it to her.

It is almost shameful, but I didn't play Mr Do! in the arcades as a kid.  However, I did play a Commodore 64 clone of Mr Do! extensively for 3 months in early 1988 while living at a house with a guy that owned a c64.  I got quite good.  However, I do remember my friend telling me that the c64 version is much easier than the arcade game.  He was right! 

The bad news for you guys is that  I've been practicing Mr. Do! a lot over the past few months.  The good news is that there is still a chance for you to come and kick my butt right up until the last minute, just like happenned with Elevator Action. It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 03:31:35 pm »
If you look at the high-score table I posted earlier, You'll notice that I reach a kind-of wall about about level 12.  All the high scores are squeezed into a range of about 15,000 points.  It is simply that Mr Do! gets so hard that you don't survive very long.

You'll need to be able to think quickly and have very fast reactions to get far in Mr Do! Trickiness and a devious mind can also help.  If you can manage to survive better than I can, then you can claim the mantle.

Extra tips:

- Did anyone mention that you get a 500 pt bonus every time you eat a bunch of 8 cherries in quick succession?  Each cherry you eat has a slightly higher note.   If you get all 8 at once, then you get 500pt bonus.  This seems insubstantial compared to killing monsters and eating cake, but it adds up through the game.

- It is also often possible to eat all 8 cherries in a bunch, get the 500pts and drop an apple to the ground in front of you, ready to drop onto baddies.  I think that I'd have to show you how to do this though.

fronty

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 09:39:05 pm »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:02:43 pm by FrontyDev »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 11:46:26 pm »
It's previously always been the parent set that was to be used, and is implied in successive comps. That's a strange aspect you got there Fronty.

Zeb: actually, it's an octave distance eating the fruit - without hearing it, I could actually hum the tonic pitch, but making a vid for that would be a lot of effort relative to the result - which turns out to be based in....C. Not surprising, though I might've thought A. The series is big on music, for sure.

I have yet to fire the game up and play.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 11:50:45 pm »
Let us hope that the Lawleys don't take part in this competition:

http://www.thelawleys.com/mrdo.htm

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 12:06:16 am »
Does anyone know where the Mr. Do! music comes from? It sounds like a typical circus music, but I wonder if there is some other classical source or something.  It sounds familiar somehow.  Hopefully someone with a deeper knowledge of music can help here.

fronty

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 12:08:36 am »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:59:50 pm by FrontyDev »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 02:58:51 am »
Ooops.  Something must have clicked.  I just jumped on the machine for a quick game to test the sound, and pulled out a new high score:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 02:52:09 am »
I'm right on your heels Zeb!   :afro:

By the way, if anyone is interested in seeing the screen for the diamond, here it is.  Also, after level 10 you will see a "wonderful" screen.

My high score so far:  143,550

~ DeLuSioNaL

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:09:51 am »
I'm right on your heels Zeb!   :afro:

By the way, if anyone is interested in seeing the screen for the diamond, here it is.  Also, after level 10 you will see a "wonderful" screen.

My high score so far:  143,550

~ DeLuSioNaL

Hey man, you are so close I can smell your aftershave!

I did my scores without diamonds to help though   :blah:

One thing for sure, these comps drive one on to achieve great things.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:12:12 am by Zebidee »

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 11:06:37 am »
Holy crap. I'm in trouble with this one too. As far as ever got on this machine was to insult it saying "Man, is that sound a few games over ever annoying".

I'll give it a shot tonight just to lower the bar a bit.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 10:27:39 pm
    • Rotheblog Arcade
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:55 pm »
151,500 - First try.

Love this game.

If anyone wants to join up at CoinOpSpace.com, we have a group for Mr. Do! that still needs more members, and residual competition like this.  There is a page dedicated just to high scores....I'll add anyone's achieve score from here that joins up at the website...

~Jeff

~Edit

I was going to try to get higher....and man I had a hard time.

I ended up with 152,050....gauntlet dropped...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:01:06 pm by rotheblog »
Rotheblog.com - Classic arcade games blog

CoinOpSpace.com - A social network for collecting arcade games, a friendly community, and a focus on easy content sharing.

I partner with This Old Game to vectorize your arcade artwork.

No PM's. Email at rothecreations@gmail.c

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:21:20 pm »
Uh oh.  Looks like the serious players have arrived ...... :)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 05:21:32 pm »
I did my scores without diamonds to help though   :blah:
Me too, that screen shot was from another game.  I never said they were all from the same.   :P  LOL.  I just posted it for people that were interested in seeing how it looked since it's so rare.  I actually had an in game shot of the diamond before I got it too, but I accidentally overwrote it when transferring files... D'oh!

edit: I'm working on making a .inf file of my game for fun.  :angel:

~ DeLuSioNaL

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:40:51 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 05:26:42 pm »
By the way, I originally played this on Colecovision, which was an awesome translation (diamonds and all).  You were white instead of the colorful clown that the arcade has.  But the gameplay was very similar, which is why the transition to the arcade was very easy for me.  Now I'm off to perfect the actual arcade version.   ;D

Here a screenshot of Coleco's version:

~ DeLuSioNaL

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 05:33:55 pm »
Here are some more tips.

-  As soon as you appear at the beginning of a level, immediately shoot.  It will usually kill a baddie right away (or soon).  The magic ball will come back almost immediately after the first shot.  I usually shoot again, and then take cover behind an apple (waiting to push it on baddies).  It usually recharges the magic ball by the time I push the apple.
-  Kill most of the baddies right away when you first start.  (using method above or similar).  That will leave extra time to get the fruit in the middle to summon the "EXTRA" baddies.
-  Once you get the fruit in the middle... Your magic ball will recharge immediately every time you shoot it.  Take advantage of this and kill off every baddie that is frozen until there is one left.  Then kill the "EXTRA" baddies.  Once the normal baddies become "unfrozen", although they are faster, all you have to do is kill that one.
-  Advanced tip:  You can shoot through walls if you go right to the edge (Colecovision translation also mimicked this).  Try it... block yourself in with an apple and dirt.  Go the the edge of the dirt's wall opposite the apple.  Move your joystick slightly to just go through the wall, but don't dig through it.  you can shoot a power ball and they can't touch you (unless they use a digger).

~ DeLuSioNaL

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:39:37 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
    • Rotheblog Arcade
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »
There's where I wanted to be...

CoinOpSpace.com - A social network for collecting arcade games, a friendly community, and a focus on easy content sharing.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 11:05:05 pm »
I think the intermission is from Beethoven.

EDIT: "The Turkish March"

[youtube]8oS7Gk7-KZ8[/youtube]

Hey, it's Eraser Head!  That guy's kinda funny. Great pianist.  Yeah, lots of these games have little snippets of classical works, or phrases similar to them.  I still have yet to play this game. I don't think it will matter much, score-wise, though.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 12:28:54 am »
Read it and weep:  213,150  >:D

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 01:42:56 am »
I made an .inp file.  The score was not my highest, but it was worth saving since the diamond appeared twice.  (For those who have never seen it).

To play my .inf file I made:

-  Download the matching MAME version the .inf recording was made on. (I recorded mine on .119 - they MUST match)
-  Download the zip file below and unzip to the mame directory
-  Download and unzip the .inf file and place it in a folder name "inf" in the MAME directory.  Create the directory if it's not already there.
-  go to the c:\ prompt and navigate to the MAME directory.  To do this in Windows:  Click on Start, Run, type in "cmd" (no quotes) and hit enter.  Type in "cd c:\mame" (no quotes) (or wherever you have mame .119 installed).  The prompt should now be in the mame directory.
-  Type: playback mrdo 2diamond.inp (hit enter)

You can do the same to record .inf files:
-  Type: record mrdo (hit enter)
It will automatically create an .inp file in the inp folder called "mrdo" (no quotes)

Hope this helps!

~ DeLuSioNaL

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
    • Rotheblog Arcade
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 10:12:38 am »
Well, not too much higher, but a little bit.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 10:25:43 am »
You guys are insane.  This is like one of my top 5 favorite arcade games and I can barely break 50,000.   :cry:

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 12:31:19 pm »

Well, I'm not near you guys, but I'm pretty sure this is my all-time best: 102950

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »
You guys are insane.  This is like one of my top 5 favorite arcade games and I can barely break 50,000.   :cry:
:laugh2:

That's like me with Donkey Kong. Love it, but don't know how to play! Top score is like 85k...   >:(
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 10:53:24 am »

So, I don't remember anyone mentioning it, but I finally figured out that a letter comes out at every 5,000 point interval (if one is not already out) as well as when you can make one come out by getting the item in the middle (after all the baddies have spawned).  So, if you can plan your 5,000 marks well you can maximize your chances at spelling extra.

Of course, this discovery has led to some very low scores since I figured it out :(

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™