Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Centipede Restoration  (Read 64490 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Centipede Restoration
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51:47 am »
Uh, Peale, care to mention those two games to either side of that Centipede? 

EDIT:  nm, I thought this was Peale's Centipede thread.   :cheers:

I'm taller

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2009, 10:52:59 am »

Spyridon: did you see my pictures how I cleaned my power block?

Yeah, I saw that.  Yours was in much worse shape than mine, but now it looks great.  Once I clean mine off I'll determine if I need to paint it or not.  It might actually be in good shape underneath all that dust.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2009, 09:19:56 pm »
Centipede is ready to go to the garage.  I have removed everything from it.  The monitor was a pain to remove.  The upper bolts holding it in place were very difficult to reach.

The monitor is filty.  I think I may take the hose to it.

Empty cab ready for the paint to be stripped off:

See that sponge like material sitting on the bottom. That stuff was behind the AR board and also behind the PCB.  It litteraly disintegrates on the touch.  Do I even need this?  If so, what should I use?

Boy, even empty, that is one heavy cab!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »
Don't worry about that stuff.   Only purpose it serves is a cushion for...you know, I don't even know what. 

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2009, 04:45:10 am »
Protection for the PCB when in transport (rattling).

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2009, 07:35:00 am »
I cut some plywood for a new back door.  I still have to cut the vent hole, but it is a nice fit.

On the sides of the cab, I used Citristrip to soften up the old vinyl.  Then using a scraper (and it bit of elbow grease) I removed all of the old vinly.

As you can see above, it left the old residue and a bit of the black paint, but it smooths out nicey with the orbital sander.

The finished sides:

Isn't this a nice profile:

All ready for painting!

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2009, 12:51:37 pm »
Yes sir, one minty Centi please.  :)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2009, 07:42:01 pm »
Yes sir, one minty Centi please.  :)

Coming right up! 

And speaking of WunderCade...thanks to his percise measurements, my back door now looks even better!

Started by marking out the vent hole according to the measurements earlier in this thread

Once the hole was cut, I added in the cover on the inside and the flap at the bottom of the door. 

She is now ready for painting.  I spent some time cleaning her up today and I really debated if I should paint the black or not.  It's in really good shape, but after closer inspection, there are a few scratches in the front kick plate area.  Might as well repaint it as if I don't it will bother me later.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »
Cleaned up the power block today.

Before:

After:

I think I'm going to leave it as is.  I considered painting it, but it really is in pretty good shape.

I also applied some bondo to one spot on the back of the cab.  It was the only place that needed it, the rest is in great shape.

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2009, 03:07:46 pm »
Nice clean up. Was any water used? Those stickers look too good to have been rinsed.  :)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2009, 05:09:38 pm »
The stickers aren't paper, they're metallic.  At least they were on mine.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2009, 09:20:06 pm »
Nice clean up. Was any water used? Those stickers look too good to have been rinsed.  :)

SirPeale is correct, they are a metallic material.  I used a wet rag to do most of the cleanup and was careful when working on the stickers.

Wade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:11 pm »
Would you consider selling this game when it's finished?

Wade

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:46 am »
Would you consider selling this game when it's finished?

Wade

Nope, this one is a keeper.  One of my favourites.  Plus, in order to make my money back, the price would be much higher than what Centipede's are going for these days  (of course, ridiculous offers are always considered).

aPr0mpt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2011, 01:04:06 am
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2009, 09:14:30 pm »
What did you clean the power block with?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:41 pm »
What did you clean the power block with?

Just a damp rag and an air compressor

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »
Stripped the paint off the marquee brackets today.  I used a wire wheel on a drill to take it off.

Before shots:

I was going to take the easy way out and only do the rust spots around the holes on the inside (but do the entire top), but I found that the rust was prevalent thoughout the entire underside so I ended up stripping it all off.

The rust was worst around the holes

And the finished shiny product ready for painting:

If all goes well, I should have some time to start painting this weekend! 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2009, 04:49:32 pm »
Back side of the marquee brackets was hit with a coat of Rustoleum Satin Black paint (still wet)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2009, 04:11:25 pm »
Now we are getting somewhere.  Time to paint!

Cab was prepped for painting.  This included wipeing it down with a tack cloth to make sure there were no duct particles still on the cab.

First coat of primer was sprayed onto the cab.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2009, 09:03:30 pm »
I sanded down the first coat of primer with 320 grit sandpaper and then applied a second coat.

Once I sand it down, that will be it for the sides.  The side art is a full sheet of vinyl that will cover the entire side.  The primer serves two purposes, first is gives a nice base coat that covers up marks in the wood that will show through the vinyl, and second, if I decide to go with the wet method of applying the side art, it protects the particle board from soaking up the water.  I haven't decided what method I'll use for the side art application yet.

Just needs to black to be painted and we'll be ready for the side art.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2009, 03:06:00 pm »
Sanded down the second coat of primer with 320 grit sandpaper and then taped off the sides in preparation for the black paint

Black paint sprayed:

Next up.....side art!  :applaud:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2009, 11:30:49 am »
Can anyone provide measurements for the side art positioning?  I'll need those to line it up correctly.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2009, 01:45:17 pm »
Took off all of the masking.

Stickers on the back survived being covered

Painting complete and ready for side art

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2009, 03:26:59 pm »
Man, she's a beaut! Tell ya what...if i was a dying arcade game, I'd want to land on your doorstep.

Nice job on that back door as well, looks factory.

aPr0mpt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:53 am »
How much t molding (ft) do you think the cab will need? How much did you order? Also, it does look great but, correct me if im wrong, isnt the top suppose to be black vinyl? along with the inside? Either way... it looks awesome!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2009, 11:35:35 am »
How much t molding (ft) do you think the cab will need? How much did you order?
Not sure how much I have.  I ordered from Arcadeshop and I think it's $10 per game.  They give you enough to do the cab.

Also, it does look great but, correct me if im wrong, isnt the top suppose to be black vinyl? along with the inside? Either way... it looks awesome!

Yes, inside and back/top were originally vinyl.  The inside vinyl is still in great shape on the cab.  I removed the vinyl on the back bottom piece because it was peeling off.  The back top and top of the cab, I just gave a refreshing to and painted over it. 

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2009, 04:07:42 pm »
Time to start looking at the monitor

Some screen burn, but not at all noticeable when the game is on

But very dirty:

I sprayed the enitire montior with some degreaser

and then hosed it down

(all of this was after discharging of course)

I then let it bake in the hot sun to dry off.  I'll be using Bob Roberts deluxe kit on this.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:10:08 pm by Spyridon »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2009, 05:51:20 pm »
Note the one cap that is indicated wrongly + and - on the PCB. It's mentioned in Bob's instructions AFAIR.

aPr0mpt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2009, 03:07:11 pm »
wow, looks amazing

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2009, 07:58:50 pm »
Do you have the CP overlay yet?  I'm wondering if the blue color is right.  In the arcadeshop picture, it looks like dark blue.  Do you have a repro to compare with the original color yet?  I probably won't order it immediately but I want to be sure about the color.

Thanks,
Wade

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2009, 08:47:01 pm »
Do you have the CP overlay yet?  I'm wondering if the blue color is right.  In the arcadeshop picture, it looks like dark blue.  Do you have a repro to compare with the original color yet?  I probably won't order it immediately but I want to be sure about the color.

Thanks,
Wade

Wade,
I got mine from Quarter Arcade and while I don't remember if I matched it up directly with the old one I think it was pretty close.  Depending on the angle you looked at, the color changed.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:29 pm »
Does it look more like dark blue, or more like regular blue?  Just take a good look at it next time you are looking at it and let me know what you think.  No rush at all.  The picture Quarterarcade has also looks darker.

Thanks,
Wade

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2009, 07:18:29 am »
It's pretty simple:

US built => dark blue (get AS or QA, those are silk-screened AFAIK)
Irish built => bright blue, only available from Mamemarquees as inkjet repro. I wonder if he already corrected the little color differences I found.

More here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63654.msg757723#msg757723
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:25:52 am by Level42 »

sevenleaf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2013, 10:08:35 am
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2009, 08:25:54 am »
Looking smart dude! How did you clean between the brass coil things on the back of the neck?

Also, beware of removing the aquadag on the back. Read this thread for more tinfo http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10838&PN=1&TPN=1

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2009, 09:35:25 am »
Looking smart dude! How did you clean between the brass coil things on the back of the neck?

Just spray with the degreaser and then hose down.  It comes clean easily

Also, beware of removing the aquadag on the back. Read this thread for more tinfo http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10838&PN=1&TPN=1

I don't have permission to view your link, but I did test the aquadag to make sure it didn't wipe off before I did the whole monitor.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2009, 09:41:51 am »
Does it look more like dark blue, or more like regular blue?  Just take a good look at it next time you are looking at it and let me know what you think.  No rush at all.  The picture Quarterarcade has also looks darker.

Thanks,
Wade

It really depends on the angle you look at it.

Here is a comparison between the original and the QA repro:

A real good match, but change the angle and you get a different (darker) color:

sevenleaf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2013, 10:08:35 am
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2009, 06:54:25 am »

Just spray with the degreaser and then hose down.  It comes clean easily

Excuse my ignorance but you hose it down with water?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2009, 08:27:48 am »

Yes, you just need to make sure that it is discharged first and completely dry before adding power back to it. 

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2009, 10:49:21 pm »

Yes, you just need to make sure that it is discharged first and completely dry before adding power back to it. 

Yeah, it's the only way to really clean a monitor.  I do it to any game I restore or any monitor I remove from a game.

Thanks for the info on the overlay.  I'm sure it's close enough.  In some pictures it just looks really dark, as does the blue on the Bezel.  I'm not sure if some Centipedes have a darker bezel or if it's just the photo.

I'm thinking about going with blue or green molding on mine.  Or maybe even purple!  Mine has the sideart with the pink/purple outline and details in the shrooms.

Wade

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2009, 02:55:27 am »
As the owner of an Irish Centi (and having seen both other Irish and US Centi's) I'm telling you there is a difference. There were also differences in the marquee and side-art, why would something "simple" as a blue color shade not be different ?

In fact, the "brighter" blue on the Irish CPO matches the blue on the Irish bezel. Like the US CPO blue matches the US bezel.

Personally I would never hose down a monitor. WAY too risky ! You never know where that water stays....