Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor that can handle RGB and VGA signals?  (Read 1383 times)

88mph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2018, 12:17:48 pm
  • I need fuel!
Monitor that can handle RGB and VGA signals?
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:50:49 pm »
I was wondering if there is a monitor out there that can handle both an RGB signal from an arcade PCB as well as a VGA signal from a computer.  I'm working on restoring a cabinet, and would like to play the game through emulation until I get my PCBs repaired.  The cab needs a new monitor anyway, and one that could handle both types of signals would be ideal.  What about the Vision Pro SVGA/VGA--would that fit the bill?

Thanks,

88mph

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
Re: Monitor that can handle RGB and VGA signals?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:43 pm »
When you say VGA signal, do you mean the VGA resolution or the VGA connector?  There are several different monitors out there that can do both.

We can help you if you can answer these questions:

1.  What size does your monitor need to be?

2.  Does it need to be cased or uncased?

Read the forums, then read them some more and your answer will probably provide itself.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:38 am
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:52:03 pm »
you need a tri sync monitor,try www.niemandisplays.com

88mph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2018, 12:17:48 pm
  • I need fuel!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:05 pm »
To be more specific, I am looking for a 19 inch monitor, uncased, for horizontal installation in an arcade cabinet.  (Side brackets, not shelf mounted.)  A vga connector would be a plus, and the monitor should be able to display from an arcade pcb at standard resolution, as well as a resolution supported by the VGA standard.  (640x480 would be fine)

It looks like the Vision Pro sold over at arcadeshop may fit the bill...

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:20:07 pm »
Yeah, I knew what he meant. My monitor came with a VGA port, but can also be connected to a PCB, though I'd never thought of running both at the same time. Have to wire some kind of dual harness for controls.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.