Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nieman Displays 24.8'' CRT general questions. Weight & Width can't exceed 21.8''  (Read 5125 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Firstly a while back i inquired about a 24.8'' Nieman Display's Monitor which is going to be utilized for MAME, (vga) I'm just about ready to purchase unless someone else can provide me with another option, but as far as i know this is supposidly the largest monitor i can fit inside my cabs total of 21.8'' width.

According to happ's website their "24.8 MAKVISION TRI-MODE MONITOR" crt's width is 23'' in total which cannot fit inside my cabinet!, It's very tight and extremely restrictive

I need to know the total weight of the 24.8'' CRT

and if any one owns / can you please measure for me the actual width of the nieman 24.8'' monitor, because last i was told way back that it was 21.5'' which would work, but i need to make sure!

Also any holiday deals / specials available on this monitor cheapest place to buy / and ship to NY is ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Nieman monitors are distributed by Amusements Plus in Rochester, NY.

Rick Nieman can give you the exact measurements if you contact him (www.niemandisplays.com)

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
I live in NY but in Long Island, so way to far to pick that up, wonder what shipping would cost on one of those beasts.. i just need to make sure it can fit , I went through all of this many months ago when i first had an interest but need to be absolutly positive

also a concern of mine is certainly the weight, i'm not sure if my "shelf" will hold it. Currently i have a 19'' lcd which weighs next to nothing and it's being held up by 4 of those tiny metal pin type things / adjustable shelf. I guess worse case I can frame it out, but i would still be concerned because it's not even real wood it's that fake melamine / mdf stuff
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:58:30 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Rickn

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2020, 01:32:28 pm
The dims on the website are correct and the weight is 75lbs.

Hope this helps, but if you need more e-mail  me.

Good luck

Rick@niemandisplays.com
www.niemandisplays.com
Always happy to help.., for the best in displays
Rick Nieman
Rick@Niemandisplays.com
www.niemandisplays.com
1023 Rife Rd Cambridge, Ontario Canada N1R5S3
519-621-1722

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
being that it should fit since the pdf said it was 21.4''w, does any one sell a custom bezel for this to hide the metal rails ? it can't exceed 21.8'' width, or where can i get smoked / tinted plexi to hide the metal locally?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
You should be able to use the 25" bezel from Happs. Just trim it to whatever size you need since it is made out of plastic. You could also just buy glass or plexi and paint the unused areas black.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
I just contacted amusementsplus.com and they told me that the monitor does not have vga 15pin d-sub, i'm looking for vga so i can use it with MAME / hook it up to my PC
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:48:43 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
The 24.8 Rick sells should do VGA. It has a 15 pin connector for VGA input. Here's the PDF:

http://www.niemandisplays.com/nvd%203m%20spec%20electrical%20spec%20sheet.pdf

Did you talk with Rick directly?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
yes i spoke to rick on the phone, he was very nice and helpful and confirmed that it does infact have vga. Then i spoke to amusementsplus just about ready to do it but then found out this monitor is going to cost alot more then i thought because after speaking to amusementplus they told me that they are no longer shipping through ups anymore due to the fact they are breaking too many of them and shipping alone would be 125.00 yikes! as opposed to the normal 60 bucks.. so that's a tad more then i wanted to spend, granted the monitor is on sale for 459 from 485 it would be 550+ tax maybe in a month for the holiday season / or when i get my tax return. unless anyone knows a cheaper source perhaps that will ship via ups and doesnt need to go through freight ? I just had my happ monitor 19'' shipped via ups with no problems
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
You could always go with the 24.8 Makvision Tri-mode. Arcadeshop.com has it for $395...

http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Monitors

Not sure about shipping though. Plus the Makvision quality won't be nearly as good as the Nieman.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
You have to remember the weight of a 24.8" (or 25") monitor is much more than a 19" monitor. Plus the fact DHL is exiting the USA market. So now we only have UPS and Fedex to ship the monitors. Over the years UPS has broken a lot of monitors. My own experiences with UPS and monitors can confirm that.

Sure Fedex may cost more than UPS, but at least the monitor will arrive unbroken.

As with any monitor a person purchases, you _must_ figure in all shipping costs on top of the purchase price. Then you'll see why I like to scrounge yard sales/garage sales/flea markets for junk 25" television sets and do a tube swap.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:42:25 pm by Ken Layton »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
You could always go with the 24.8 Makvision Tri-mode. Arcadeshop.com has it for $395...

http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Monitors

Not sure about shipping though. Plus the Makvision quality won't be nearly as good as the Nieman.

yeah ive heard nothing but good things about the nieman monitors, and also it's the only one that will fit inside my cab 24.8-25'' that is. the width on the nieman is supposidly 21.4'' while the one on arcade shop is 23'' wide just misses my restriction of 21.8" width.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
:slaps forehead: You're right. For some reason I thought they had the same dimensions. Sorry about that.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
these are the metal pegs i'm talking about which is holding up the shelf inside which currently holds my lcd http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28-459-shelf-support-clips-and-pegs/shelf-support-peg-628095.aspx they are rated at 35lbs per peg so the total should be 140lb weight support ? and the monitor is 75lbs it should *gulp* hold, but i'm going to most likley frame it out

oh yeah PS: I went and ordered the monitor hopefully it all works out
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:36:03 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
this is the inside of the cab that I'm placing the 24.8'' Nieman inside to give you a better idea, has a moveable wooden block so the monitor doesn't slide back. And you can see the adjustable shelf / pegs, I plan on reinforcing it with wood blocks underneath which is connected to another piece of wood. The shelf has a tiny slot where the pegs sit inside which should help it from sliding around. Obviously the picture "underneath" the wood / support also isn't level, and needs to be adjusted accordingly but just wanted to show an example of what i plan on doing.

Also i shut down my pc and left it at a very high resolution 1280x1024 obviously the nieman won't support that, so should i reconnect my lcd and lower the res to 640x480? I don't have an arcade2vga from ultimarc so hopefully the monitor will work with everything seamlessly. I always would leave my lcd at 1280x1024 are there any settings in the MAME ini or anything of that nature that anyone can recommend ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:27:07 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke